PDA

View Full Version : Damn Chicago Tribune

RTKar
04-08-05, 08:27 AM
Whenever there's a race weekend I always check the Trib's Friday sports section for TV times. It looks like we still have identity issues. Listed for Sunday at 3pm central...irl indy car series Grand Prix of Long Beach - WMAQ-Ch5 :shakehead ...who's doing the press releases?

tllips
04-08-05, 09:20 AM
I saw that this morning too! Makes my blood boil. :flame: :flame: :mad:

KLang
04-08-05, 09:30 AM
The Tribune was supposedly a sponsor at RoadAmerica last year. Every morning, driving in, we were handed a copy of the daily paper. I looked at the paper each day and saw NO coverage of the race. Even the Sunday paper had nothing. It wasn't too long ago they had a special section on Sunday covering the race. :mad:

Andrew Longman
04-08-05, 10:15 AM
In season, every Thursday the Newark Star Ledger devotes the back page of the sports section to racing. Yesterday, they had they usual paragraph dedicated to the vital statisitics of each series upcoming race but the feature that filled 80% of the page was on the possible rising "off spring" stars of the IRL (Marco, AJIV, Alfred Unser, etc). The theme was could these guys revitalize open wheel racing.

I'm thinking Marco has one win (and impressive unless you think about the fact the field had what 8 cars?) and the rest are wankers. Meanwhile, the IRL doesn't even have a race this weekend, Champ car deputs in LB with some hot young guns like Dinger, RHR, Ranger, four past champions and a lot of other proven talent.

PR is a weakness

Rob
04-08-05, 10:37 AM
At least the people of Chicago know there's a race in Long Beach this weekend. The Raleigh News & Observer posted upcoming events for Nextel Cup, Craftsman Truck, NHRA, Busch, Formula One and the IRL. :shakehead

Railbird
04-08-05, 05:00 PM
usatoadie lists the Long Beach GP as an irl race in it's TV listing.

rosawendel
04-08-05, 05:01 PM
there must be some sort of AP feed that they use... the cleveland plain dealer lists it the same way...

Sean O'Gorman
04-08-05, 05:05 PM
there must be some sort of AP feed that they use... the cleveland plain dealer lists it the same way...

Yeah, normally the Cleveland PD knows its stuff when it comes to Champ Car.

nrc
04-08-05, 06:17 PM
Tribune Media Services provides TV listings for a lot of different electronic services. It's really a mix-up in the title assigned to a specific program code. I seem to recall seeing one of the early IRL events listed as a Champ car race so it may even be that the IRL complained about that and they changed the title. TMS may not have figured out that they need two different program IDs.

Napoleon
04-09-05, 07:29 AM
The Cleveland PD has it listed as an IRL race also.