PDA

View Full Version : Fixing a tire

Tim
04-06-05, 03:57 PM
Got a flat yesterday. Noticed it after work and put the spare on. What I want to know is if there is a way to patch it and fix it myself. Even though I've never had to do anything like that I trust myself to do it if it is possible. Any ideas?

Sean O'Gorman
04-06-05, 04:09 PM
Just get a new tire, cheapskate.

http://www.tirerack.com

:thumbup:

RichK
04-06-05, 04:12 PM
My advice: Don't mess with tires. Get it plugged by an expert, or get a new one. The consequences of a blowout far outweigh the money saved.

KLang
04-06-05, 04:16 PM
I had one plugged a month ago at a Firestone store. It was only 20-25 bucks.

Turn7
04-06-05, 04:20 PM
Discount Tire will fix it for free. At least they do around here. Just be prepared to wait on it a while. They are always busy.

Paintergeek
04-06-05, 06:48 PM

WHAT?!?!?! You got RAPED!!!! Thats insane. A plug should be about 7 bucks. $2.50 tire off, $2.50 tire on, $2.00 to plug.

You dont want to do it yourself. There are two tool used to do a plug, which you probably dont own, and then the gooey little plugs and the goops that goes on them. By the time you buy all that, You coulda had it done for less.

But just to inform.....One tool is just a spike with serrated shaft, like a round nail file. You pull out the debris, and route that shaft in and out of the debris hole a few times to rough up the steel belts and such. The second tool has two fingers at the end which holds in the plug. You goop the plug, and the hole, and cram that sucker in there. Its designed so when you pull the tool out, the plug gets hung up on steel belts and stays behind.

I know this all sounds incredibly seductive and dirty, But trust me, It isnt 'dirty' at all....Just dirty. Pay someone to do it. If its in the sidewall or away from belts, they wont plug it for you.

indyfan31
04-06-05, 07:25 PM
I bought the entire kit (reamer, pusher, patches & glue) for about $8 at Pep Boys. I've had so-so luck, 2 plugs have held and a third constantly leaked.

G.
04-06-05, 11:52 PM
Three flats in my car owning career (not counting the cars where if I got a flat, I junked the POS. Really, that happened. :laugh: ). First, a slow leak, the guy reamed it and plugged it while the tire was on the car. Did it before the air leaked out. He pulled the screw out (air whistling), reamed it, stuffed a plug in it, then pumped the tire up. That was on my, Ahem, performance car (Eagle Talon). Plug lasted until it was time to re-tire (abt. 15k miles). Next one, I was talked into an internal patch. I agreed, since the tires had a lot of life left. Lasted until I re-tired. Finally, got a drill bit stuck into the rear tire (kicked up by the front tire). Had a core plug and an internal patch. My commute got a lot longer, thought best to be safe. Re-tired after about 15 k miles after that.

Plugs are cheap. $5-$10. Patches are a bit more, last one was $25, with a plug.

Robstar
04-07-05, 01:48 AM
The mechanic near me was closing one time & did mine if I bought him a beer afterwards :thumbup:
Normally $10...

rabbit
04-07-05, 02:17 AM
Dude, I've got a nice piece of beach-front property in Kansas that I'd be willing to make you a sweet deal on. PM me. :thumbup:

Tim
04-07-05, 03:38 AM
Damn well I'd better take it somewhere. I just didn't want to blow a day off going somewhere to get it fixed.

cart7
04-07-05, 06:21 AM
Remove tire. Make a small solution of water and a little dish soap. Slowly pour on tire as you rotate it. Watch for bubbles. Locate nail or metal piece which has pieced tire and remove with pair of pliers, heavy needle nose work good for me. Insert reaming tool from tire patch kit into hole and work it in and out to make the hole slightly bigger (OK fella's, go ahead and give that one your best shot. ;) ). Take out sticky tar patch stick and slide onto the patch insertion tool about mid point on the patch. Push the insertion tool with patch about 2/3 to 3/4 of the patch into the hole, turn about a half turn and then yank up. Tool should come up leaving 2 ends of patch sticking out of hole. Refill tire, pour on a little solution and see if its still leaking. Trim off excess patch remnants.

Total cost - About $6-7 for patch kit.

I've fixed a ton of leaks over the years and have rarely ever had a problem. Although, if it's in the sidewall you're screwed.

KLang
04-07-05, 06:55 AM
WHAT?!?!?! You got RAPED!!!! Thats insane. A plug should be about 7 bucks. $2.50 tire off, $2.50 tire on, $2.00 to plug.

I should have used the word 'patch' instead of 'plug'. It was one of the internal patches G talked about. Parts $3.30, Labor and balance $15.99. At 8:00 in the morning on the way to work there isn't really time to shop around. :gomer:

Paintergeek
04-07-05, 08:15 AM
I should have used the word 'patch' instead of 'plug'. It was one of the internal patches G talked about. Parts $3.30, Labor and balance $15.99. At 8:00 in the morning on the way to work there isn't really time to shop around. :gomer:

Ah yes, That makes more sense. Of course, I just realised I combined two thoughts into one as well.....I said 'tire on, Tire off', which is unneccessary (is that spelled right?) when doing a plug. Its all done tire-on. Price still seems a bit high for mount and balance, But I understand your last sentence exactly. I just had my second flat ever about 2 weeks ago, Caught debris while passing someone in fast lane. The front right went down QUICK, But didnt 'blow'. What DID 'blow' was changing it on the highway balanced on a tiny scissor jack. :flame:

RacinM3
04-07-05, 10:49 AM
1. Where's the hole? If it's in the sidewall, trash the tire and get a new one. If it's in the tread but within 1-1/2" of the sidewall, trash it and get a new one, regardless of how much tread is left.

2. If it doesn't meet the above criteria, but it's more than 85-90% worn out, trash it and get a new one.

3. If it's a tear in the tread, not just something small like a nail hole, trash it and get a new one.

4. If it doesn't meet #1, #2 or #3, it's a candidate for repair. I keep a repair kit at home for nail holes, or small leaks. Same as the kits described above - pointed file tool, insertion tool, and gummy plugs. But the best way is to take it to a shop, dismount the tire, patch it from the inside, remount and rebalance. Note that the tire shop will not do it if it meets any of the criteria in #1, 2 or 3.

Note: only use "Fix-a-flat" in a can in extreme emergency. The stuff works, but it really gums up the inside of the tire/rim, and is a nightmare to clean up. I also don't consider it a permanent fix. Your tire guy will thank you.