PDA

View Full Version : IRL Wants to be at Long Beach in '06

dando
04-04-05, 03:43 PM
http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/indycar/16052/

Further indicating the IRL’s desire to go head-to-head with Champ Car in its strangleholds, Ungar hinter that Canada, a longtime mainstay for Champ Car, should also be part of the IRL’s ‘06 schedule, although with no more than one race. Champ Car currently has three of its 14 races in Canada, at Montreal, Toronto and a new event in Edmonton.

Still according to the Star, Quebec City officials were in attendance at St. Pete this Sunday.

Grrrr.... :flame:

-Kevin

racer2c
04-04-05, 04:11 PM
Damn I hope we can hold on to LB.

NismoZ
04-04-05, 05:29 PM
KK is well aware of the IRL's hunger for Long Beach and has promised a "Southern California" event on the same weekend if the worst should happen. I think Watts.

Beevis
04-04-05, 05:39 PM
I wonder how long it will be until LB is proceeded by F around here?

Racing Truth
04-04-05, 05:59 PM
KK is well aware of the IRL's hunger for Long Beach and has promised a "Southern California" event on the same weekend if the worst should happen. I think Watts.

Yeah, but KK MUST keep LB. Nothing else will really compare.

dando
04-09-05, 11:56 PM
Another recent article on this topic:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=2033720

Unfortunately KK did not mention anything about buying the rights to the race:

Kevin Kalkhoven, co-owner of the Champ Car series as well as a team owner, said he is hopeful of being back next April. But Kalkhoven said, should Champ Car lose the event, there is already a contingency plan in place for another street race at an unspecified location in the Los Angeles area.

:(

-Kevin

oddlycalm
04-11-05, 02:32 PM
Speed News reported that TG is offering to pay Dover $21 million for to race there. The city commissioners are drafting letter to Dover indicating they want CCWS back, but apparently Dover is not contractually bound by the city's wishes. CCWS has indicated it will not bid for the race.

As the saying goes, this does not look good. :(

oc

Newtpal
04-11-05, 02:38 PM
I will finally be graduating from college and will have money (hopefully) by next year and was finally going to fly to a race (in addition to going to the Cleveland GP). I was looking forward to finally being able to go to Long Beach. I hate TG so much!!! However, if ChampCar loses this race to the IRL and decides to stage an alternate race, you can bet I will be going. I honestly don't care if the track sucks (hopefully it doesn't), I'll be going just to prove a point. There's no reason to spend good money to go to Long Beach to watch a crap series race there. :mad:

I'm still hopeful I will get to watch a LBGP live.

Andrew Longman
04-11-05, 06:51 PM
Speed News reported that TG is offering to pay Dover $21 million for to race there. The city commissioners are drafting letter to Dover indicating they want CCWS back, but apparently Dover is not contractually bound by the city's wishes. CCWS has indicated it will not bid for the race.

As the saying goes, this does not look good. :(

oc

I don't know about that. If Toyota announces in May that they will be leaving the IRL, and Chip does the same, why would Dover announce in May (the timing they've indicated) that they will risk making the change from a proven series at LB with a stable supply of engines and workable business model to a house of cards about to collapse?

Jervis Tetch 1
04-12-05, 09:56 AM
Man I hate FTG and the effin' I*L more with each passing day. :flame: :mad:

TKGAngel
04-12-05, 12:15 PM
Isn't it about time for FTG's Mama to ask what the point of all this spending is? Attendance is in the toilet, along with the TV ratings, and now he's throwing 21 mil away on something that might not even pan out the way he wants it to. Someone should tell FTG this isn't Field of Dreams - just because you build it doesn't mean they will come.

Bob_S.
04-12-05, 07:01 PM
Isn't it about time for FTG's Mama to ask what the point of all this spending is? Attendance is in the toilet, along with the TV ratings, and now he's throwing 21 mil away on something that might not even pan out the way he wants it to. Someone should tell FTG this isn't Field of Dreams - just because you build it doesn't mean they will come.

Its not about racing at Long Beach. Its about preventing CCWS from racing at Long Beach. There's a difference between the two and it stinks. :mad: