PDA

View Full Version : New Australian Race Sponsor?

chop456
02-27-03, 11:09 AM
Expanding on(and correcting) a rumor from champweb...

Supposedly, there were quite a few people at St. Pete sporting XXXX logo shirts and CART VIP passes. Champweb states that it's a brand of cigarettes (which I'm not aware of, and wouldn't make sense anyway). The XXXX (4X) that I'm familiar with is a popular brand of Australian beer.

Now why would they be at a street event in the states? Is Pook gunning for a new sponsor for the Surfer's race, or could there be a new Australian race on the radar?

Discuss amongst yourselves.

JoeBob
02-27-03, 11:44 AM
I took the XXXX as meaning they couldn't say the name. KOOL has 4 letters, and a history sponsoring both CART and Toyota Atlantic.

But, I've found that the "mystery rumors" are just a way to get people talking about your site.

chop456
02-27-03, 11:48 AM
I guess that's possible, but why wouldn't they say the name? I read it as the shirts actually said "XXXX". Subject to interpretation, I guess.

pchall
02-27-03, 12:56 PM
There was a small splash a few weeks ago where Lexmark -- the printer/copier/scanner/fax company -- had signed a deal to be the title for the Surfer's Paradise race.

google.com for it -- the truth is out there ;)

JoeBob
02-27-03, 01:02 PM
It is bad for all involved to leak a sponsor name before a deal is signed. If champweb says, "CART is talking to Company X about sponsorship" other series can approach that company and try to get the deal instead.

The company considering spending the money also might not like it. I've heard of at least one sponsor deal in the last year or so that almost fell through due to media reports prior to the deal actually being signed.