PDA

View Full Version : Giorgio Pantano gets a CART ride

RiverRunner
01-02-03, 03:41 PM
He hasn't done too bad in F3000 and from the looks of the Atlas board, the euros think the kid has talent.
Link (http://sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=auto-c/news/APN2383014.htm)

Some quotes,note the Sponsor.
A real one.

"My aim is to try and make a strong impression in CART and, like Jacques Villeneuve and Juan Pablo Montoya, come back across the Atlantic to race in F1 in a few years," said Pantano. "I see this as a step towards F1, not a step away. Maybe F1 has not noticed my qualities in F3000 - so now I must prove myself in CART."

BC Motorsports is headquartered in California and will be sponsored by Philadelphia-based oil giant Sunoco

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 03:45 PM
Too bad Sunoco didn't want to put Jon Fogarty in the seat.

Who's BC Motorsports? Brand new operation, or based upon a previous/current team?

damiandoan
01-02-03, 03:57 PM
BC Motorsports? Seems strange that AutoSport is scooping everyone on this. Seems like this one even caught MC by suprise. ;) Go figure. Giorgio Pantano seems like he could be great for the series, but in a start up operation, i don't know.

Announcements better start coming soon...

DD

pchall
01-02-03, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by damiandoan
BC Motorsports? Seems strange that AutoSport is scooping everyone on this. Seems like this one even caught MC by suprise. ;) Go figure. Giorgio Pantano seems like he could be great for the series, but in a start up operation, i don't know.

Announcements better start coming soon...

DD

Dana Brewer, a California oil guy, heads up this effort. He was partof the silly sason last year trying toget carsfor Freddy Tame and Robert Moreno on the grid.

Interestingly, another alledged CART site is trying to piss on this story in spite of all the continuing stories in reputable places.

damiandoan
01-02-03, 04:13 PM
I've noticed the pizzing. ;) Even the old haunt is claiming Brewer will not be involved in CART. I hope both places are wrong, but Like I said, we need to start getting some announcements soon.

DD

damiandoan
01-02-03, 05:07 PM
CW is calling it a scam. :confused:

http://www.champweb.net/phpstuff/index.php?id=902

(edit to fix link)

DD

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 05:54 PM
A site whose name I probably shouldn't mention says that three owners are threatening to pull their entries if they're allowed on the grid.

rabbit
01-02-03, 06:04 PM
I have a source very close to Sunoco's motorsports program. (His name rhymes with Brewer ;) ) I have emailed him to find out what he knows.

patm
01-02-03, 06:51 PM
A site whose name I probably shouldn't mention says that three owners are threatening to pull their entries if they're allowed on the grid.

This sounds kind of phishy to me. Three owners who know CART needs teams are threatening to withdraw and listed on the lemming channel to boot.

Say what are you doing reading over there? You got lemming tendancies?

patm

damiandoan
01-02-03, 07:15 PM
Wow, is Brewer really that bad of a guy/ Anybody have the lowdown on these supposed bad deals he had with Patrick, et al?

DD

WickerBill
01-02-03, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch

There are no restrictions on sites you can mention. Are you referring to the TrackForum thread or 7G rumor?

WB

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by WickerBill
There are no restrictions on sites you can mention. Are you referring to the TrackForum thread or 7G rumor?

The 7G rumor... I wasn't aware there was a TF thread going.

JSR
01-02-03, 09:08 PM

Why would 3 owners possibly pull their entries? What has happened that would cause something like this?

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by JSR
Why would 3 owners possibly pull their entries? What has happened that would cause something like this?

Here's what 7G (http://www.seventhgear.com/html/news/rumors.php) had:

In an update on this story, 7G was contacted by a team executive an told us that three current CART teams have threatened to pull entries for the 2003 CART season if potential CART team owner Dana Brewer is granted slots on next season's grid. The issue apparently was one of the hot topics on the last Franchise Board meeting agenda.

Brewer's has garnered a fairly negative reputation in the CART paddock stemming from alledged sour deals with drivers and teams such as Alex Barron, Roberto Moreno, Sigma Autosport, Dale Coyne, Pat Patrick, and Derrick Walker. Our source went on to say that he, himself, had checked with rumored sponsor Sunoco and the company claimed no knowledge of Brewer.

Geez, ya don't think the owners might be Coyne, Patrick, and Walker, do ya?

JSR
01-02-03, 09:23 PM
:eek:

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 10:11 PM
He sounds like the CART equivalent of Prince Malik Ado Ibrahim of Arrows "fame".

nrc
01-02-03, 10:21 PM
He sounds like the CART equivalent of Prince Malik Ado Ibrahim of Arrows "fame".

Wasn't he reported to have been lurking around the paddock as well?

rabbit
01-02-03, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by nrc

IIRC, he was at Fontana with Brewer.

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by nrc

And you guys thought the IRL folks in the CART paddock were bad news. ;)

rabbit
01-06-03, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by rabbit
I have a source very close to Sunoco's motorsports program. (His name rhymes with Brewer ;) ) I have emailed him to find out what he knows.

Marc says that Sunoco has no knowledge of this alleged deal. There is the possibility that it could be Sunoco of Canada.