PDA

View Full Version : Robin Already Declares St. Pete A Winner

FanofMario
04-03-05, 02:20 AM
In tonight's Speednews report, Robin Miller declared that the IRL has already had a success in St. Pete by showing a crowd scene in the report. :rolleyes:
Pass the puke bucket!

Spicoli
04-03-05, 02:31 AM
In tonight's Speednews report, Robin Miller declared that the IRL has already had a success in St. Pete by showing a crowd scene in the report. :rolleyes:
Pass the puke bucket!

what?

STFU. go back to bed dumnb****.
:gomer:

cart7
04-03-05, 07:23 AM
Ahhh.... they're just event fans. :rolleyes:

SteveH
04-03-05, 07:53 AM
IWARM :gomer:

JT265
04-03-05, 08:41 AM
IWARM :gomer:

ICOLD. I had to turn up the wick a little when I got up, so IWARM soon. :p

GOFAST1
04-03-05, 10:40 AM
I remember when target grand prix was a winner in Chicago first year but after no more free tickets year after , big winner went on to be a big loser.

Joelski
04-03-05, 11:18 AM
Ole Robin stood in front of a lot of bare aluminum before giving that one good crowd shot. I ain't gonna say it looked like 5 grand tops, but it was no where near tens of thousands like some of the gomers are saying.

gjc2
04-03-05, 11:41 AM
Isn't an IRL event a "great success" if anybody shows up?

SurfaceUnits
04-03-05, 12:26 PM
Ole Robin stood in front of a lot of bare aluminum before giving that one good crowd shot.That is fonda's North American version of BAR - Bare Aluminum Racing :rofl:

Michaelhatesfans
04-03-05, 02:15 PM
I love it when Indy's own website shows how bare the stands are...

http://www.indycar.com/multimedia/build_photo.php?photo_id=15094&size=med

NismoZ
04-03-05, 05:17 PM
Denial is a sad thing to behold. Look at the race and the stands for yourself and quit worrying about "fitting in" on the forum. The whole thing irks me, too, but for other reasons. CC SHOULD be there. Seeing the harbor and the yachts and the track makes me envious. The stands are QUITE full and Robin is correct. TG finally gets it...CART WAS the "vision"...and road racing and streets is where these openwheelers belong. Sure, make fun of Foyt and Carpenter, they deserve it, but this event is WAY more successful than any of you wanted it to be. Me too. There is NO doubt in my mind that TG will redouble efforts to undermine CC at other successful venues and that makes me uncomfortable. And Marco's dive under two cars to take the lead into turn 1 in the IPS race was CLASSIC...from an 18 yr. old kid who will bring a LOT of interest wherever he goes...and if you believe Michael that includes a whole BUNCH more road races for the IRL. Sometimes those who criticize the most do so out of fear.

gjc2
04-03-05, 05:42 PM
Denial is a sad thing to behold. Look at the race and the stands for yourself and quit worrying about "fitting in" on the forum. The whole thing irks me, too, but for other reasons. CC SHOULD be there. Seeing the harbor and the yachts and the track makes me envious. The stands are QUITE full and Robin is correct. TG finally gets it...CART WAS the "vision"...and road racing and streets is where these openwheelers belong. Sure, make fun of Foyt and Carpenter, they deserve it, but this event is WAY more successful than any of you wanted it to be. Me too. There is NO doubt in my mind that TG will redouble efforts to undermine CC at other successful venues and that makes me uncomfortable. And Marco's dive under two cars to take the lead into turn 1 in the IPS race was CLASSIC...from an 18 yr. old kid who will bring a LOT of interest wherever he goes...and if you believe Michael that includes a whole BUNCH more road races for the IRL. Sometimes those who criticize the most do so out of fear.

As much as I hate to admit, I completely agree. If the IRL can put on more events like this, it will be a real challenge for Champ Car. However I still believe we will prevail.

George

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-05, 06:09 PM
If the IRL puts on more events like this, it'll be a challenge for Champ Car for sure, but it will do nothing to stop the implosion that is sure to happen in that series.

From what little I saw of it, it wasn't too bad, but I have a low opinion of street races anyway. As it relates to the state of the sport, it couldn't be any more depressing. :flame:

racer2c
04-03-05, 06:15 PM
I watched it. The cars looked slow. One time I came back from the kitchen and thought they were under yellow because they were going so slow.
There were allot of stupid wrecks.
I think the battle over Champ Car street races is going to heat up big time. Tony wants LB for sure. I can also see them trying to get Australia.

FIRL. I hate them.

cameraman
04-03-05, 06:23 PM
TG just successfully ripped off Champ Car. Unless you are a serious fan, you would never know that it wasn't Champ Car. My wife walked by and her initial response was "I thought the first Champ Car race was next week". Casual fans don't see the difference.

Jervis Tetch 1
04-03-05, 06:33 PM
Hey, I saw some shiny aluminum and it wasn't the walkways either.

When FTG came on the television, I almost spit at the screen. My girlfriend told me not to lower myself. Is that so bad to admit?

The race did provide moments of great laughter though. Thank you Quatro, thank you Special Ed, Thank you Sham. You guys really know how to turn right :laugh: :thumdown:

NismoZ
04-03-05, 06:46 PM
Thankyou for not going berserk toward my positive comments. Not too bad? It was a very GOOD race by any standards. Of COURSE it irks many that AGR literally ran the table (anyone besides me think Kanaan should spear Brisco and sacrifice himself so the rest of the team could go 1-2-3? :) As it was, Brisco sacrificed HIMself, good racing drama there at the end.) Marco wins in IPS, AGR dominates, the scene of Mario hugging the grandkid was priceless. I'm happy for them. I'm NOT so happy that after 10 freakin' years those idiots running the show might just be getting it right! Time to watch the end of the Fontana thing...THAT's a good race, too! Yes, I KNOW there's no R9s there, but there's a bunch of good drivers, SOME of which I'd like to see in a Champcar someday. I pray Long Beach is exciting and successful!

Hot Rod Otis
04-03-05, 06:51 PM

I also agree. I turned the race on @ work, figuring I could use a laff or two and it found that it wasn't THAT bad. Once you got Sammich IV and Special Ed out of the way it was a typical open-wheel street race. Sure there was some boneheaded moves, by Matsuura, Enge, Yasakawa & Hornish. But how many CART street races featured the same kind of brain farts? But there was passing, some good racing, Kanaan's move on "Elvis" was pretty good. Lots of different pit strategies going on. All in all, a pretty entertaining race, and damn that hurts to say that, but its true. :( And suprisingly the crapwagons didn't look as slow as I thought they would. They're still butt-f**king ugly, but they came off well in comparison to a champcar on the same type of track , unlike Champcars do @ Montreal when comparing them to F1 cars.

Now how long before somebody tells me to go back to Trackforum?? :p

DagoFast
04-03-05, 06:53 PM
NismoZ is correct. Champcar fans should be very worried.

Today was a watershed for the .1rl. It shows Ftg is no longer in charge. The inmates are running the asylum now. St. Pete was a fonduh production from start to finish. Ftg is just along for the ride. There are enough ex-cart teams in earl that know exactly how to be cart. We deride them for becoming cart II for crying out loud. :flame:

I know the amigo's are smart. I know they are rich. But to underestimate a global company like fonduh is simply foolish.

You can argue if st pete was profitable with Wilke till the cows come home.
You can argue crowd numbers with depender till hell freezes.

But unless you KNOW exactly what fonduh's long term game plan is in the earl, you best watch your back.

Racing Truth
04-03-05, 06:55 PM
More folks there than I thought there would be.

Kanaan ran into everything under the sun, but Briscoe deserved his punt.

I couldn't stop laughing at Special Ed. Spinning TWICE in the same spot by yourself? Now, that has to be some kind of accomplishment. :gomer:

Racing Truth
04-03-05, 06:57 PM
BTW: Part of it is that St. Pete happens to be a street course done right.

DagoFast
04-03-05, 06:57 PM
Oh yeah...and Otis! Go back to Trackforum! :rofl: :rofl:

Eagle104
04-03-05, 07:03 PM
And suprisingly the crapwagons didn't look as slow as I thought they would.
Maybe not...in a 3rd-gear kind of way. Otherwise, painfully slow, imo, for the four(4) laps I watched.

A very uninteresting formula..in any direction.

cart7
04-03-05, 07:03 PM
Fairly good crowd. The race itself wasn't bad and to quote someone above, it sure could've been a Cart/CCWS race. Sure there was special Ed and IV but they departed pretty early. Hornish actually kept his nose fairly clean till the end though he wasn't very racy. All in all, this was a worrisome race.

TravelGal
04-03-05, 07:11 PM
NismoZ is correct. Champcar fans should be very worried.

Today was a watershed for the .1rl. It shows Ftg is no longer in charge. The inmates are running the asylum now. St. Pete was a fonduh production from start to finish. Ftg is just along for the ride. There are enough ex-cart teams in earl that know exactly how to be cart. We deride them for becoming cart II for crying out loud. :flame:

I know the amigo's are smart. I know they are rich. But to underestimate a global company like fonduh is simply foolish.

You can argue if st pete was profitable with Wilke till the cows come home.
You can argue crowd numbers with depender till hell freezes.

But unless you KNOW exactly what fonduh's long term game plan is in the earl, you best watch your back.

(Emphasis added) Extremely perceptive post, IMHO. Having talked to enough Honda execs back in their CART days, I'll tell you my take on their long term game plan. They want to build better engines so that their street cars qnd trucks stay ahead of Toyota and even Nissan in their popularity and reliability. They stick beaucoup bucks into development just for that. Along the way they loved CART and they use the Twirl. Once they use it up, they will move on. I would not be surprised to see them leave the IRK as quickly as they left CART. And this time, with no regrets.

RusH
04-03-05, 07:25 PM
No sandwich needed.

So here is the deal, someone said they`d meet me outside the facilities to watch the race, so grabbed my backpack filled with beers and head out, I figured WTF? I might see stuff anyway.
So, it happens that we missed each other, but I soon figured out why.
I walked right up to the walk over bridge,AND GOT IN FOR FREE, AND SO DID THOUSANDS OF OTHERS
So then, I wanted to get into the main grandstands, no problem there either.

Yes, this is worrisome.

dando
04-03-05, 07:29 PM

Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Wait until the TV ratings come out w/another dismal <1.0 rating. Neither mfg is likely to keep pouring $$$ in the .1RL w/microscopic viewership. This is a thing called a business, which means that there is a bottom line. And if the ROI is in the wrong colored ink, it's audios.

-Kevin

racer2c
04-03-05, 07:39 PM
Don't break out the D & G just yet folks. For every decent event the IRL has they have 15 that suck eggs. They've been pulling a large crowd in Texas for quite a few years and they still continue to drag the sport down the drain.

This is a little different because it was their first street race and they 'pulled it off'. Now, will they go aggressively after Champ Cars popular street races or will they do the NASCAR thing and say that three is enough? After 8,000 at Phoenix, I think the answer is clear.
The IRL is still spinning down the drain. St Pete alone isn't going to keep Toyota in the series.
Champ Car needs to continue to play hardball and continue to be two steps ahead of the idiot grandson. Although, I personally don't think he's calling the shots anymore.

edit: Also, don't forget Marco is only planning to run the road races in the IPS cars and that he has told the press numerous times that road racing is Side note: Marco won after being told on Friday that his best friend who was coming to the race had died that day in an auto accident. That's rough. :(

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-05, 07:49 PM
The worst part, to me, is that if the IRL can put on a halfway-decent street race, imagine how much better things could've been if the morons in charge of open wheel these past ten years didn't run things into the ground.

This is what CART was all along, why did Tony have to ruin things? Why didn't ANY (and that includes Forsythe) of the team owners do anything to try and maintain the rest of the positive aspects that CART still possessed after the split?

All that we're left with now are two heavily subsidized forms of glorified club racing, and as we all know, that money is going to dry up eventually. No engine manufacturer, street race, or ridiculous overseas expansion plan will fix that. :(

Racing Truth
04-03-05, 07:51 PM
BTW2: I'll give Wheldon a little credit here. Kept his nose clean all day, and won the race. Something evidently lost on Tony Kanaan. :shakehead

Wheldon 2 years ago would have hit every car on the track.

RusH: Thanks for the info. Might calm a few, just a little.

cart7
04-03-05, 07:55 PM
The worst part, to me, is that if the IRL can put on a halfway-decent street race, imagine how much better things could've been if the morons in charge of open wheel these past ten years didn't run things into the ground.

This is what CART was all along, why did Tony have to ruin things? Why didn't ANY (and that includes Forsythe) of the team owners do anything to try and maintain the rest of the positive aspects that CART still possessed after the split?

All that we're left with now are two heavily subsidized forms of glorified club racing, and as we all know, that money is going to dry up eventually. No engine manufacturer, street race, or ridiculous overseas expansion plan will fix that. :(

Greed Seano, greed. One of the problems with Cart pre-94. Yes, there were problems.

If, the earl were able to secure LB, Toronto, M/O, RA, Laguna and perhaps one new Street or road and dropped at least 4 or 5 of those ovals I can't say I wouldn't be interested.

Then again, the whole thing is moot unless the ratings and attendance start ramping up steeply over there and I just don't forsee that happening just because they ran their first street race.

nrc
04-03-05, 08:20 PM

True to a point, but the bigger question is not just Honda, but Toyota and any other manufacturers who might be involved when the new engine formula is announced. I don't think Honda will be nearly the threat they are now if the IRL doesn't have Toyota funding the other half of the teams.

The direction and momentum of both series will be determined by what Toytota and Honda decide about the IRL's new engine rules and who ends up at Long Beach next year. Tony needs two out of three of those to keep some momentum. If he ends up with one he's lost the initiative. If he ends up with all three Champ car will be hard-pressed to maintain it's turn-around image.

cart7
04-03-05, 08:31 PM
True to a point, but the bigger question is not just Honda, but Toyota and any other manufacturers who might be involved when the new engine formula is announced. I don't think Honda will be nearly the threat they are now if the IRL doesn't have Toyota funding the other half of the teams.

The direction and momentum of both series will be determined by what Toytota and Honda decide about the IRL's new engine rules and who ends up at Long Beach next year. Tony needs two out of three of those to keep some momentum. If he ends up with one he's lost the initiative. If he ends up with all three Champ car will be hard-pressed to maintain it's turn-around image.

Agreed and the Toyota guys are talking the most about costs, ratings, mergers, etc. I've gotta believe they already know their umbillical cord is about to be cut.

DagoFast
04-03-05, 08:41 PM
Agreed and the Toyota guys are talking the most about costs, ratings, mergers, etc. I've gotta believe they already know their umbillical cord is about to be cut.

Exactly! Think about this, if toyo leaves, honduh runs the table. No if's ands or but's. A few more motors for the pimp and fatassi, and they ARE the .1rl.

And we all know what happens to a track owner or promoter when they are approached with "a better offer". How many will pay OWRS to stage a race that honduh will pay them to host?

All "our" races are in danger. :eek:

nrc
04-03-05, 09:16 PM
Exactly! Think about this, if toyo leaves, honduh runs the table. No if's ands or but's. A few more motors for the pimp and fatassi, and they ARE the .1rl.

I think that scenario is unlikely. Honda is complaining about ROI as well and I can't see them doling out the deals that Ganassi and Penski want and sponsoring a bunch more events.

I suppose they could establish an IRL Indy Car powered by Honda busines model but will the big teams stick with it without the sweatheart deals they've been getting?

Peter Venkman
04-03-05, 09:21 PM
Finally, the CRL (CART Racing League) has put on a "race".

I had to watch because Buddy Rice is my son's buddy; I owe it to my son.

As good as CART/ChampCar? Not in a million years.

Danica Patrick showed that Sam Hornish is a wanker.

AJ IV shoudn't be allowed to drive a street car much less a race car. He is dangerous.

Carpender, the same thing. They are so far out of their "league" as to embarass those who race with them.

Scott Goodyear needs to be taken out back of his local bar, and beat until he thinks he's on another planet.

One other thing; street races bring people out, ovals don't.

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-05, 09:22 PM
I suppose they could establish an IRL Indy Car powered by Honda busines model but will the big teams stick with it without the sweatheart deals they've been getting?

I dbout there are enough TonyBucks left to make that happen.

Peter Venkman
04-03-05, 09:33 PM
"Although, I personally don't think he's calling the shots anymore..."

My thoughts exactly.

The guy that had that ocean going yacht parked in the harbor has been towing the idiot grandson around for about ten years now.

It is my opinion that when Penske became aware that he no longer could run CART, and the business end of CART was self destructing, he took his stock at peak, then he made a deal with widdle Tony that is still in effect today.

That can be the only reason that Tony would allow road racing against his Godfather's (Antney Josef Foit) admonitions.

Penske doesn't stay places where he can't control the content. That's just a fact.

racer2c
04-03-05, 09:53 PM
"Although, I personally don't think he's calling the shots anymore..."

My thoughts exactly.

The guy that had that ocean going yacht parked in the harbor has been towing the idiot grandson around for about ten years now.

It is my opinion that when Penske became aware that he no longer could run CART, and the business end of CART was self destructing, he took his stock at peak, then he made a deal with widdle Tony that is still in effect today.

That can be the only reason that Tony would allow road racing against his Godfather's (Antney Josef Foit) admonitions.

Penske doesn't stay places where he can't control the content. That's just a fact.

And now the Cap'n' is preaching unification. I guess before his ship goes down for good.

JohnnyQ
04-03-05, 10:04 PM
Scott Goodyear needs to be taken out back of his local bar, and beat until he thinks he's on another planet.

I can deal with Scott as an announcer. Freakin Deferen makes me want to climb a tree. His voice is like a dog whistle. His ramblings make him sound like the Brazilian Paul Page.

Paintergeek
04-03-05, 10:56 PM
I agree with the general concendus that it wasnt THAT bad of a race. I caught about 1/3 of it as I passed through the house from front to back yard.

They had good speed, Mechanical attrition was low, action and passing was as normal on a street course, Attendance was acceptable, mistakes were typical of road/street racing backmarkers, one of THEIR guys won, and as was said earlier.....to the casual observer, most wouldnt know the difference between them and us.

Believe me. NOTHING makes me madder than TG messing this whole thing up based on all of the principles of cost, americans, and ovals, and how he could totally go back on ALL of that after screweing it all up. It makes me REAL mad. But bottom line was that for a first-time street course for ther series, they did well, and raced well the same way these same drivers raced in our series. Herta, Kanaan, Castroneves........this picture is all too familiar.

racer2c
04-03-05, 11:15 PM
The cars are ugly atrocities... hey, they should use Champ Cars! :)

Long Beach will make St. Pete look like a warm up act.

Lizzerd
04-04-05, 01:51 AM
I agree with the general concendus that it wasnt THAT bad of a race. I caught about 1/3 of it as I passed through the house from front to back yard.

They had good speed, Mechanical attrition was low, action and passing was as normal on a street course, Attendance was acceptable, mistakes were typical of road/street racing backmarkers, one of THEIR guys won, and as was said earlier.....to the casual observer, most wouldnt know the difference between them and us.

Believe me. NOTHING makes me madder than TG messing this whole thing up based on all of the principles of cost, americans, and ovals, and how he could totally go back on ALL of that after screweing it all up. It makes me REAL mad. But bottom line was that for a first-time street course for ther series, they did well, and raced well the same way these same drivers raced in our series. Herta, Kanaan, Castroneves........this picture is all too familiar.

You just pretty much said exactly everything I was gonna say.

I saw about a third of the race. There were some rookie screwups and boneheaded maneuvers, but all in all, what I saw wasn't that bad, really.

Disclaimer: The above statement should not be construed as being an indication that this Champ Car Fanatic is in any matter changing his allegiance from the Three Wise Men and their Racing Series to The Inheritor and his Empire on the Dark Side and/or altering his status as a Hater.

JohnHKart
04-04-05, 03:41 AM

I'd have to agree with every word you say. I wanted it to fail, thought that turn one, lap one would look like Atlanta 1999 and was surprised the stands were so full....maybe they gave away tickets. Throughout the event I also kept wondering why Cart wasn't there and it definitely bugged me.

John

fourrunner
04-04-05, 04:08 AM
I didn't see much of it ... But it looked like a Gay Rodeo to me!

And I couldn't understand a word Gil Deferran was saying ! ;)

As usual, I mean this in the Nicest Possible Way!!

Jervis Tetch 1
04-04-05, 09:59 AM
Finally, the CRL (CART Racing League) has put on a "race".

I had to watch because Buddy Rice is my son's buddy; I owe it to my son.

As good as CART/ChampCar? Not in a million years.

Danica Patrick showed that Sam Hornish is a wanker.

AJ IV shoudn't be allowed to drive a street car much less a race car. He is dangerous.

Carpender, the same thing. They are so far out of their "league" as to embarass those who race with them.

One other thing; street races bring people out, ovals don't.Totally concur. Good post :) :thumbup:

anait
04-04-05, 10:18 AM
We flipped across a rebroadcast around midnight. Hubby wanted to see turn 1, but I flipped away before that when the loudspeaker announcer said TG was about to say those 'special words'...as he raised the bullhorn, I simply couldn't bear to watch or listen. :shakehead

Flipped back about 15 minutes later trying to put my remote control clicker finger to sleep....and doublechecked the volume on the remote b/c dang, those things were so quiet...no WAY to mistake them for ChampCars. No roar.

Flipped over to the French channel for the F1 rebroadcast for just a few minutes, to get a nice screaming engine whine in my ears before bed.

NismoZ
04-04-05, 10:44 AM
Couple of points: Looks to me like Honda already HAS run the table... and that business about TG finally realizing he's not leading the show anymore? He's not, but it isn't Penske either. This IRL success can be directly attributed to: Honda/Andretti Green Promotions, Andretti-Green Racing, and MARCO Andretti...and note Mario was at his first NON 500 IRL event...No, and you'll hate this (as I'm sure Roger Penske does) but Michael Andretti will be the force pushing TG and his changing "vision" to more road and street events. Marco's future depends on it and a race weekend like St. Pete is even getting to ol' Grampa.

racer2c
04-04-05, 11:19 AM
Couple of points: Looks to me like Honda already HAS run the table... and that business about TG finally realizing he's not leading the show anymore? He's not, but it isn't Penske either. This IRL success can be directly attributed to: Honda/Andretti Green Promotions, Andretti-Green Racing, and MARCO Andretti...and note Mario was at his first NON 500 IRL event...No, and you'll hate this (as I'm sure Roger Penske does) but Michael Andretti will be the force pushing TG and his changing "vision" to more road and street events. Marco's future depends on it and a race weekend like St. Pete is even getting to ol' Grampa.

True enough but wasn't St. Pete the first promotion by Honda/Andretti Green Promotions?

If T & H are still there in three years, I can see their road/street races tripling. Although, like someone else pointed out; 70K at a street race with a .8 TV rating on network TV (not to mention cable), isn't a 'success'. Just ask CART.

Mario has always displayed a real sense of integrity. For someone who so vehemently denounced all that the IRL 'was', he'll lose allot of respect from allot of fans if he picks up the Kool Aid pitcher. But 'was' is the key word. That could and probably will be, his 'out'.

NismoZ
04-04-05, 05:44 PM
No, Mario's real credibility is in his unflinching support for Marco. He won't turn his back on his Grandson, politics or not. I admire him for that and he loses nothing in my book. I'm guessing nothing short of a 50/50 split between roads & streets to ovals would please him and probably more than 3/4 of the drivers!

Racing Truth
04-04-05, 05:54 PM
Greed Seano, greed. One of the problems with Cart pre-94. Yes, there were problems.

If, the earl were able to secure LB, Toronto, M/O, RA, Laguna and perhaps one new Street or road and dropped at least 4 or 5 of those ovals I can't say I wouldn't be interested.

Then again, the whole thing is moot unless the ratings and attendance start ramping up steeply over there and I just don't forsee that happening just because they ran their first street race.

Here's a bulletin:

That's where they're going.

Will it work? I doubt it. The antipathy is rightfully too strong at this point. In the end, the IRL may end up losing more fans (Ovalistas) b/c of this.

They'll need some CC crossover to compensate, and well, color me doubtful.

racer2c
04-04-05, 05:59 PM
No, Mario's real credibility is in his unflinching support for Marco. He won't turn his back on his Grandson, politics or not. I admire him for that and he loses nothing in my book. I'm guessing nothing short of a 50/50 split between roads & streets to ovals would please him and probably more than 3/4 of the drivers!

No. Supporting your grand son who is't even in the IRL (yet) and blowing smoke up Tony George are two different things.

NismoZ
04-04-05, 08:08 PM
Please explain. (if you care to. I don't follow)