PDA

View Full Version : Look who's talking merger

nrc
04-02-05, 08:27 PM
http://www.sptimes.com/2005/04/01/Sports/Answers_elusive_for_o.shtml

Penske said the dwindling number of engine manufacturers might eventually provide the impetus for reunion.

"To me, people are going to have to get together and maybe it'll be engines that ultimately drive them together," he said. "The cars are not that different. Cars are cheap, but they all have power plants. We all have trailers. We all have drivers. We all go stay in motels, so it's just a few things. But it's like trying to merge two companies and if the CEOs at the top are not interested in getting together, then it's pretty hard to merge them. That's where we are today, the top people see things with a different vision."

Gomers used to complain about this kind of thing all the time. "We don't need no merger!" "We don't want their geedy owners and foreign drivers!" "It's always the CART people talking about a merger, they need us but we don't need them."

So what's up? Does Cap'n Liver Spots see the Yen fueled gravy train grinding to a halt in the near future?

"The top people see things with a different vision?" More like Champ Car is refining what they've done all along and the IRL has thrown out their "vision" and is attempting to remake themselves in the image of CART.

Ankf00
04-02-05, 08:47 PM
we have our engines, wtf do you got?

eat a dick, geezer. :flame:

cart7
04-02-05, 08:49 PM
I just saw a thread over at the gomer forum where Turd13 admitted that had Penske, T & H NOT shown up, the earl may have already been history at this point. Even the most obnoxious of gomers are starting to figure things out.

DagoFast
04-02-05, 08:53 PM
Uhmm, Gee wasn't this merger supposed to happen last year? No! Wait! Wasn't Champ car gonna be dead in 18 months? Nope! Wait, now I remember! TIRES are gonna drive this reunuion. Farhstone is gonna tell everyone to kiss and make up! YEP! That's whats gonna happen....

It seems Rogers crystal ball has cataracts these days.
:gomer:

DaveL
04-02-05, 09:04 PM
Help me out cuz I'm not that smart. Why is Captain Liverspots suddenly talking about the "dwindling" number of mfgs? I thought T&H were totally committed to the Indyunapolis Fivehunnert now and forever.

Toyota start telling you make new plans for '07 Cap'n? If so, go choke on some of the cancer sticks that sponsor your cars asswipe.

dando
04-02-05, 09:16 PM
All I have to say is :flame:

Oh, and FTG!

-Kevin

racer2c
04-02-05, 09:21 PM
That little private race they put on for those close 8,000 friends I'm sure opened Ol' Rog's eyes again along with allot of others i.e. H & T. The problem is, Ol' Rog still thinks 'unification' means that Champ Car ceases to exist and the teams join the IRL.

FRP.

SteveH
04-02-05, 09:22 PM
Gonadsi also made some comment about it.

Any coincidence that Toyota teams as now talking merger. :thumdown:

See ya' later boys. Enjoy your empty stands.

devilmaster
04-02-05, 10:00 PM
I just saw a thread over at the gomer forum where Turd13 admitted that had Penske, T & H NOT shown up, the earl may have already been history at this point. Even the most obnoxious of gomers are starting to figure things out.

He still doesn't get it. If Penske and T&H hadn't gone to the twirl, they'd probably be in better shape than they are now.....

Its the scorched earth policy of T&H that forced CART into bankruptcy and is now wrecking the twirl. And as all of us know, Penske only cares about Penske. He doesn't want to lose the gravy train.

Nobody should put stock into what he says anymore.

racer2c
04-02-05, 10:06 PM
He still doesn't get it. If Penske and T&H hadn't gone to the twirl, they'd probably be in better shape than they are now.....

Its the scorched earth policy of T&H that forced CART into bankruptcy and is now wrecking the twirl. And as all of us know, Penske only cares about Penske. He doesn't want to lose the gravy train.

I don't think anyone does. He's a shadow of his former self.

I can't wait unitl the announcement that Toyota is pulling the plug.

Railbird
04-02-05, 10:44 PM
No merger.

The grandson should be back at his "custodial" job shortly, keeping the ol' speedplant prepped for whatever professional motorsport organizations still willing to do business.

devilmaster
04-02-05, 10:52 PM
Now, i finally read the article, instead of the comments of the posters..... what the bleepin bleep bleep is this?!?

First we've got to get everyone under one tent," said Chip Ganassi, who owns teams that have won four CART titles and one in the IRL with Scott Dixon in 2003. "Everybody has their idea of what racing should be. And at the end of the day the fans make the real vote what racing should be. The fans and the sponsors have the votes. It's a dangerous thing for someone to make racing what they think it ought to be."

Since when did the fans matter to Fatassi? :confused:

DagoFast
04-02-05, 10:59 PM
Since when did the fans matter to Fatassi? :confused:

Since he figured out that stands full of fans leave a LOT more food scraps behind than he can find under the empty stands in the .1rl.

devilmaster
04-02-05, 11:02 PM
Ya know, all I want IMHO, is some of the teams who went there to be honest, and come out and say that they followed the money......

Oh, and since i'm asking for the world, I want the world. And 20 million bucks to start my 2 car champcar team.... ;)

gjc2
04-02-05, 11:22 PM
No merger! OWRS just continues to build the Champ Car series. Any IRL team that wants to come over is welcome. If (when) the time comes the IRL can no longer continue, offer to run a 500 mile race at the IMS on Memorial Day weekend.

George

JLMannin
04-03-05, 12:12 AM
No merger! OWRS just continues to build the Champ Car series. Any IRL team that wants to come over is welcome. If (when) the time comes the IRL can no longer continue, offer to run a 500 mile race at the IMS on Memorial Day weekend.

George
Oh, that offer will be made alright - but it won't be ChapmCar that makes the offer . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . it will be NASCAR

fourrunner
04-03-05, 12:18 AM

LOL Devilmaster

Roger Penske fell of the "Genius Podium" awhile ago......

Does Anyone Listen to him anymore!!!

RTKar
04-03-05, 12:25 AM
Open wheel racing won't get better until the earl dies.

Dave99
04-03-05, 12:36 AM
Penske deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Ganassi deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Andretti deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Nunn deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Rahal deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Fernandez deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Honda deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Toyota deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Sponsors deserted Champ Car for the IRL.
Drivers deserted Champ Car for the IRL.

The IRL has lost its identity, focus and direction and they want Champ Car to be a part of that??????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/ZZYZXX13/fu.jpg

JT265
04-03-05, 12:38 AM
Ya know, all I want IMHO, is some of the teams who went there to be honest, and come out and say that they followed the money......

Oh, and since i'm asking for the world, I want the world. And 20 million bucks to start my 2 car champcar team.... ;)

Backstabbing yen whore!!!! :flame:

You just said in the CCWS forum that you didn't want a Champ Car team, now you're trolling for $$$ over here??? :saywhat:

:rofl:

fourrunner
04-03-05, 12:42 AM

The IRL has lost its identity, focus and direction and they want Champ Car to be a part of that??????

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/ZZYZXX13/fu.jpg

Boy that Sarah Fisher sure went to Hell didn't she?

And that List .... thanks for posting the names of guys you shouldn't trust on any level !

racer2c
04-03-05, 12:56 AM

And yet those idiot lemming gomers embrace every ironic revision. And with all of those blows to Champ Car, it is Champ Car who has the momentum and the IRL who is struggling to breath as the water washes over them.

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-05, 01:13 AM
Both series suck, just blow the whole thing up and start over.

racer2c
04-03-05, 01:15 AM

Champ Car sucks? This is going to be the most competitive season in years.

Oh thats right, you're one of the half dozen Grand Am fanboys.

fourrunner
04-03-05, 01:19 AM

Wow ... you used "suck" & "blow" in the same sentence! ;)

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-05, 01:21 AM
I'm talking about from a business standpoint, although removing the best track on the schedule certainly doesn't do much for the on-track excitement.

nrc
04-03-05, 02:35 AM

Perhaps you're lost. This is a forum for Champ car enthusiasts.

Spicoli
04-03-05, 02:38 AM

you tell em boss!

ncmlj
04-03-05, 02:59 AM
Just cause Penske gave in doesn't mean us fans have to, he did it for money we do it for what is right, he lost plane and simple. tg brought it to him and he failed! Such is life.

ncmlj
04-03-05, 03:07 AM

If you really think about it dollar wise, racing is a drop in the bucket to RP. It isn't about money for RP he has all the money he needs. He likes racing and he likes fans to watch what he does and he has discovered it's not happening it the twirl league. For that matter he can now see it never will. Took a few years but, he gets it.

Sean O'Gorman
04-03-05, 11:43 AM

I AM a Champ Car enthusiast. I'll be spending a couple hundred dollars at Cleveland, $30 on Race Director, and every Sunday I'm not out autocrossing or spectating watching the races on TV. I think it gives me the right to complain.

If you really don't want me posting my opinion here anymore, please say so. I wont take it personal or cause any more trouble.

Spicoli
04-03-05, 11:46 AM
I AM a Champ Car enthusiast. I'll be spending a couple hundred dollars at Cleveland, $30 on Race Director, and every Sunday I'm not out autocrossing or spectating watching the races on TV. I think it gives me the right to complain.

If you really don't want me posting my opinion here anymore, please say so. I wont take it personal or cause any more trouble.

stay for the hate. :thumbup:

Easy
04-04-05, 12:37 PM
http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/nurshad/silky_johnson1.jpg

Spicoli
04-04-05, 01:04 PM
Hate da game, not da playah!

Wheel-Nut
04-04-05, 02:00 PM

And a good foundation would be Grand Am . . . .

:runs:

Sean O'Gorman
04-04-05, 05:41 PM
Yes, it would. At least Grand-Am can get 20+ cars without engine manufacturer money or series subsidies.

Although tube frame open wheel cars with big greenhouses might not be a good idea. ;)

racer2c
04-04-05, 06:03 PM
Yes, it would. At least Grand-Am can get 20+ cars without engine manufacturer money or series subsidies.

Although tube frame open wheel cars with big greenhouses might not be a good idea. ;)

It's owned by ISC! :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
04-04-05, 07:11 PM
Oh, the same ISC that is the only sanctioning body in America that can properly promote a racing series?

racer2c
04-04-05, 07:13 PM
Oh, the same ISC that is the only sanctioning body in America that can properly promote a racing series?

Yes. They are the alpha and omega. :gomer:

Side note: Evidently, there is a growing grumbling from long time NASCAR fans about how oversaturated and NFL'esque the sport has become. Ben Blake mentioned it on Wind Tunnel and has written about it frequently.

FCYTravis
04-04-05, 07:22 PM
OK, um, despite being the Resident Grand Am Paid Shill here, I'm not going to get involved in this little lovers spat between Sean, racer2c and Wheel-Nut. That road's been well-traveled enough.

What I am going to ask is, Easy, where in God's name did you find that photo :eek: :rofl:

Don Quixote
04-04-05, 07:52 PM
What I am going to ask is, Easy, where in God's name did you find that photo :eek: :rofl:
Yes, who is "silky johnson"?

Sean O'Gorman
04-04-05, 08:18 PM
He's one of the Time Haters. Don't any of y'all ever watch Chapelle's Show?

Wheel-Nut
04-04-05, 08:59 PM
OK, um, despite being the Resident Grand Am Paid Shill here, I'm not going to get involved in this little lovers spat between Sean, racer2c and Wheel-Nut. That road's been well-traveled enough.

Don't drag me into this, I was just trolling on by!! :)

Skater_36
04-05-05, 08:29 AM
If you really think about it dollar wise, racing is a drop in the bucket to RP. It isn't about money for RP he has all the money he needs. He likes racing and he likes fans to watch what he does and he has discovered it's not happening it the twirl league. For that matter he can now see it never will. Took a few years but, he gets it.

Penske and Ganassi both say it would be better if there was only one series. The problem is they want it to be the IRL. As long as CCWS is around the fan base will be divided, the IRL will play to small crowds and the manufacturers will tire of pumping money in to that series. Right now the IRL is jubilant about putting on a race that gave away thousands of free tickets and brought in less fans than the previous CART race at the same location. The crowing about the St. Pete race show just how bad things really are in the IRL. Anyone have the tv ratings for St.
Pete?

Don Quixote
04-05-05, 09:07 AM
He's one of the Time Haters. Don't any of y'all ever watch Chapelle's Show?
I'm lost, as usual. Something tells me that if I research this further, it would be a waste of time. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
04-05-05, 09:23 AM
Anyone have the tv ratings for St.
Pete?

According to this morning's paper, it pulled a 0.1 in NYC metro (<74,000 homes). Knicks-Bucks pulled a 0.2 on tape! Bowling got a 1.1! PGA pulled a 1.9. Bristol pulled a 2.4. and Yankees-Sox pulled an 11.6

Of course that's NYC not the entire nation. NY is a serious baseball town and no one cares about auto racing but it wasn't a hit by any measure.

Easy
04-05-05, 10:34 AM
Yes, who is "silky johnson"?

Hater of the Year, 2003. He beat out Buc Nasty, Beautiful and Pit Bull.

Travis-
Google image search, "Silky Johnson".

nrc
04-05-05, 11:32 AM

I'm pointing out the intent of these forums. I don't think "Champ car sucks" is a typical opinion for a Champ car enthusiast.

Sean O'Gorman
04-05-05, 11:38 AM
I'm pointing out the intent of these forums. I don't think "Champ car sucks" is a typical opinion for a Champ car enthusiast.

I'm not a typical Champ Car enthusiast.

And besides, as a Bengals fan, you should know by now that fans of something are going to think something sucks from time to time. Although Champ Car only sucks sometimes, whereas the Bengals have sucked for how many years now? ;)

Sean O'Gorman
04-05-05, 11:46 AM
I'm lost, as usual. Something tells me that if I research this further, it would be a waste of time. :gomer:

Probably. But if you want, I did the research for you:

http://www.comedycentral.com/tv_shows/chappellesshow/showclips.jhtml?startIndex=13

Click the clip titled Time Haters

Skater_36
04-05-05, 02:00 PM
According to this morning's paper, it pulled a 0.1 in NYC metro (<74,000 homes). Knicks-Bucks pulled a 0.2 on tape! Bowling got a 1.1! PGA pulled a 1.9. Bristol pulled a 2.4. and Yankees-Sox pulled an 11.6

Of course that's NYC not the entire nation. NY is a serious baseball town and no one cares about auto racing but it wasn't a hit by any measure.

None the less NY is a major market and the IRL seems to be following a pattern of dwindling ratings. What's more important, a crowd of people with free tickets or TV ratings? I'm thinking Honda and Toyota would rather see higher ratings to justify some of the millions of dollars being spent in the IRL.

oddlycalm
04-05-05, 02:46 PM
Take away the Marlboro subsidy and the red hatted freebies and you have Marlo Klain's wedding party again. Marlboro is already out the door, just a matter of that day rolling around. The TV ratings can't beat a test pattern and the teams that have to look for deep pockets sponsors (Penske) are in the soup.

The problem for CCWS will be that desperation forces folks to go to extremes. While CCWS has a single early spring event and is busy going after races in Asia, the EARL will be trying to strip events away from CCWS in the US. If they managed to add Long Beach, Road American and Mid-Ohio to Watkins Glen and Infineon, CCWS will have a problem with hardcore domestic audience defection. You can say this isn't so, but damn near everyone on this forum watched St. Pete's and I can't see many missing a Road America or Mid-Ohio race.

The depressing truch is that CCWS could conceivably end up with a very profitable racing series, the EARL could fold, and many of us in the US would still be without a local race or a series that held the same interest it once did. That said, I don't see a merger in the cards, period.

oc

Skater_36
04-05-05, 05:01 PM
Take away the Marlboro subsidy and the red hatted freebies and you have Marlo Klain's wedding party again. Marlboro is already out the door, just a matter of that day rolling around. The TV ratings can't beat a test pattern and the teams that have to look for deep pockets sponsors (Penske) are in the soup.

The problem for CCWS will be that desperation forces folks to go to extremes. While CCWS has a single early spring event and is busy going after races in Asia, the EARL will be trying to strip events away from CCWS in the US. If they managed to add Long Beach, Road American and Mid-Ohio to Watkins Glen and Infineon, CCWS will have a problem with hardcore domestic audience defection. You can say this isn't so, but damn near everyone on this forum watched St. Pete's and I can't see many missing a Road America or Mid-Ohio race.

The depressing truch is that CCWS could conceivably end up with a very profitable racing series, the EARL could fold, and many of us in the US would still be without a local race or a series that held the same interest it once did. That said, I don't see a merger in the cards, period.

oc

One of two unlikely things would have to happen for a merger to take place. Tony George would have to be taken out of the equation regarding management of the series OR Tony George would have to put open wheel racing before his ego, realize that he's done a lot of harm and stick to running IMS.
As you say, I don't see it happening but things could change if Toyota and Honda bail.

racer2c
04-05-05, 05:22 PM
One of two unlikely things would have to happen for a merger to take place. Tony George would have to be taken out of the equation regarding management of the series OR Tony George would have to put open wheel racing before his ego, realize that he's done a lot of harm and stick to running IMS.
As you say, I don't see it happening but things could change if Toyota and Honda bail.

Recently Tony stepped aside as president of the IRL. What is his role with the series now?

Wabbit
04-05-05, 05:52 PM
One unlikely thing would have to happen for a merger to take place. Tony George would have to be taken out.

Fixed.

Sorry, I don't think any merger will ever happen as long as Tony is around.

Spicoli
04-05-05, 05:52 PM
Recently Tony stepped aside as president of the IRL. What is his role with the series now?

Owner, CotB, and Fundager.

oh,

And resident Cokehead. :gomer:

racer2c
04-05-05, 05:53 PM
Owner, CotB, and Fundager.

oh,

And resident Cokehead. :gomer:

I had a feeling. :)

Racing Truth
04-05-05, 06:00 PM
Combining some thoughts from others here:

r2c: Technically true, but like Spic indicated, still (sorta) in charge.

Skater: You actually bring up an interesting, though HIGHLY IMPROBABLE, thought. Should CC die/IRL take over LB, RA, etc./a combo, would TG have enough sense (yeah, I know) to step aside after, at a very high price, having achieved his pyrhhic victory? Yep, I know silly, but one could argue that what r2c referenced was a first, very prelim. step.

That said, CC ain't goin anywhere. :cool:

oc: Interesting. I go back on forth on what would happen. Short-term, no movement. Long-term might be a different issue altogether though.

Ankf00
04-05-05, 10:30 PM
http://img36.photobucket.com/albums/v109/nurshad/silky_johnson1.jpg

"reach for the sky, cracker! nyaaaaaaaaaaaah."

Sean O'Gorman
04-05-05, 11:17 PM
I posted a link to the video in question and you still mess up the line? :shakehead

extramundane
04-05-05, 11:32 PM
"reach for the sky, cracker! nyaaaaaaaaaaaah."

What can I say about this thread that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan...?

pedroskova
04-05-05, 11:38 PM

Nope. It's just starting to get interesting.

trauma1
04-06-05, 07:51 AM

scumbag, thief and lier :rofl:

Skater_36
04-06-05, 08:18 AM

Even though TG has stopped using the title of president you can be sure that the IRL is Tony George's show and they don't make a move unless he approves it.