PDA

View Full Version : Pope John Paul II dies @ 84

dando
04-02-05, 05:04 PM
This thread is not intended for religious discussion, nor crass remarks. It is simply intended for those of us to post condolences, as we do for the passings of many public figures. Truly a great man of faith who accomplished much during his Papacy. RIP, JP II. You will be missed.

:cry:

-Kevin

fourrunner
04-02-05, 05:09 PM
Agreed ..... There are some Icons that are significant just by there presence ... they keep some others honest where they might otherwise run amuck .... Other leaders trip over each other to be in his presence ... He made them look good ... Always had dignity !

Even Schumacher, Barrichello, Todt, and the Ferrarri namesake and Team sought and got a Personal Audience with him !

Emmerson Fittipaldi renewed his vows to Theresa in front of him !

I hope they choose wisely on their next leader !

cart7
04-02-05, 05:35 PM
Though not a Catholic myself ,I've admired the man for steering the religion through some very tough times the last 10 or so years. His shoes will be tough to fill. :(

ChampCar#3
04-02-05, 06:12 PM
Maybe the Greatest Pope/Man of all time with his efforts to free the ppl under Soviet rule!

ferrarigod
04-02-05, 06:32 PM
Sad day. Hope they find someone as important to Catholics as Pope John Paul II to replace him. He did live a good life, and accomplished alot :thumbup:

:(

Ankf00
04-02-05, 07:28 PM
the man did more for the world's destitute and impoverished than anyone, ever.

Paintergeek
04-02-05, 08:02 PM
.........And I didnt even know he was sick.

I offer the same respects as I would if a board members' grandfather died. Didnt know him, Dont need to. An old man has died that had an affect on others, So I offer my respects.

TrueBrit
04-02-05, 08:29 PM
I am deeply saddened by his passing. I did not agree with him on some things, but his tireless commitment to peace and compassion was inspiring.

His impact on the world was not just reserved for those of his religion, but to all that believed in the ultimate goodness that mankind should aspire to.

Truly a great man.

God bless you.

Rest in peace.

Sean O'Gorman
04-02-05, 08:36 PM
Sad, but hopefully it opens the opportunity for a new pope who can be more active than the previous one was able to in his final years.

eiregosod
04-03-05, 12:11 AM
Sad, but hopefully it opens the opportunity for a new pope who can be more active than the previous one was able to in his final years.

I'm way too young to understand the impact thIS Pope had in the world. he's the only religious leader I've known.

Damn, the Polish people around town tonight were very 'bummed'.

On 2nd thoughts, he became pope a decade before the collapse of the berlin wall. only now do I reaise the significance of that!

Railbird
04-03-05, 10:50 AM
http://www.catholic.org/images/ins_news/2005010137.jpg

dibs on the diecast collection

Kahauna Dreamer
04-03-05, 11:05 AM
I'm way too young to understand the impact thIS Pope had in the world. he's the only religious leader I've known.

Damn, the Polish people around town tonight were very 'bummed'.

On 2nd thoughts, he became pope a decade before the collapse of the berlin wall. only now do I reaise the significance of that!

I have a few years on you (born November 1969) but I understand the way you feel on this one. I never thought that dealing with the "fallen Catholic" thing-combined with the sense of loss-would be so intense, but it sure is!

*resquiat en pace, Papa*

Napoleon
04-03-05, 11:47 AM
http://www.catholic.org/images/ins_news/2005010137.jpg

dibs on the diecast collection

:thumbup:

Its hard to believe, I was a Junior in High School when he became Pope.

Racing Truth
04-03-05, 08:02 PM
A great man has been lost to Heaven.

I did not agree with him on all things, but on the world stage, John Paul II was a giant.

The next Pope has to fill huge shoes.

dando
04-03-05, 08:25 PM
I heard him referred to as John Paul the Great sometime today, which I think is quite fitting.

-Kevin

JohnHKart
04-04-05, 08:41 AM
You know what? His only bad marks from me relate to birth control.....That was a great man, I've greatly admired. I cried watching some of the coverage Sat night...Certainly the fall of communism is partly a credit to him. God he even blessed and forgave the man that almost killed him! I'm very sad to see him go.

John