PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

RHR_Fan
04-02-05, 02:24 PM
Speaking of what's up, gas is going up. It's $2.27, unleaded, here in Madison. Where is it for the rest of ya?

~Nicole

Mr. Vengeance
04-02-05, 02:42 PM
If my conversions are right (doubtful) 92.9 / liter = $2.97 (US) per gallon. It's been at 85.9 for the last few months, and just made the big leap a few days ago. (in northern BC)

Ankf00
04-02-05, 02:43 PM
the cuz pays 2.20+ cuz he's got the shiny shirt man's car, all fancy schmancy n ****

I pay 1.90-2.00

Turn7
04-02-05, 03:03 PM
Filled up at Costco yesterday for $1.999/gallon.

Sure does hurt flipping out $50+ a week for fuel.

However, I just switched my electric provider from Reliant to Gexa. Reduced my kwH cost from .122 to .087. That will save an average of $ 85.75 per month.

Why the hell I hadn't done that sooner is beyond me. :confused: :shakehead

The Doctor
04-02-05, 03:07 PM
$2.11 from my friends here at BP.

Joelski
04-02-05, 03:36 PM
$2.11 from my friends here at BP.

$2.25/gallon here. **** BP!!! :finger: F'in' thieves! If it wasn't 4 am and fume city, I coulda got it at the Marathon up the street for $2.05

cart7
04-02-05, 03:51 PM
2.14 in St. Louis from the local kwikee mart. Down from 2.24 just a few days ago. :thumdown:

ChampCar#3
04-02-05, 04:17 PM
Southern Ontario here.....ranges from $0.70 to $0.92 a litre.....depends when you blink!

dando
04-02-05, 05:00 PM
$2.25 here in Cbus. I did see it for $2.19 last night. Oil ended >$57/barrel on Fri. Get ready to bend over again next week for another record high gas price. :flame:

IMHO, idiot speculators are causing this cr@p. There was report mid-week about the possibility of a spike to $105/barrel, and like a self-fulfilling prophecy, the price of oil spiked well over $55/barrel. :mad:

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-02-05, 06:32 PM
$2.07-2.24 depending on the location.

Of course, when your car never runs, you save alot of money on gas. Its just the repair bills that hurt.

racer2c
04-02-05, 06:46 PM
It has fluctuated between $2.02 and $2.07 for the last two weeks here in N.Va.

TKGAngel
04-02-05, 07:29 PM
Here its anywhere from 2.23 - 2.25 per gallon. I believe it went up about 4 cents in one day last week.

Car-B-Q
04-02-05, 07:45 PM
It has fluctuated between $2.02 and $2.07 for the last two weeks here in N.Va.Its $2.10-$2.15 on the other side of the Potomac in MD.

Paintergeek
04-02-05, 07:46 PM
You know, Gas prices are one of my pet peeves, But not how you may think. I actually could care less. I mean, It would be great if it was a dime a gallon. But MAN do people gripe about it alot! (not to imply anyone here is).

You know, Ill watch someone pay $5.50 for a pack of smoke in a vending machine at a bar, and then walk back to his seat, light one of them (at over a quarter each), and then gripe cause gas is up 4 cents. Ill watch someone dump eight bucks worth of quarters into a crane machine to win a dirty fifteencent stuffed animal, and then gripe cause gas is $1.90 instead of $1.80 like the other day.

Today, my wife was SO mad because she filled up two days ago, and today , its ten cents down. WHO CARES!!!!!!! I mean, In a 15 gallon tank, 4 cents per gallon is SIXTY CENTS!!! OH MY GOD!! SIXTY CENTS!!! HOW CAN I AFFORD TO SUPERSIZE IT NOW!!!!!

at that rate, if you filled up once a week for a year, There is a difference of $28.80. Less than $30 over a whole year? I see people spend that much on a carton of smokes, Or lottery tickets. BFD.........and I dont mean Big Fountain Drink.

I need gas. I dont have a choice but to buy it. It isnt worth travleing around wasting MORE gas to save 2 cents on the gallon (which MIGHT add up to 40 cents on a fill up). And its MY choice to drive a car that get 16 MPG. SO WHO CARES!

I dont look at gas prices. Never have. I know which grade im getting depending on which car, I run my credit card, I grab the pump, I fill it up. When it shuts off, I hanbg it up, and leave. When the bill comes, I pay it. Done deal.

Ok, I feel better now.

nrc
04-02-05, 07:53 PM
I agree. If you don't like it, stop using so much of it. That's the way it works.

Coincidentally, we just got the lowest mileage car we've ever owned. Fill-ups are a bit more painful but 9000 RPM is a balm that quickly sooths that ache.

Sean O'Gorman
04-02-05, 07:54 PM
You know, Gas prices are one of my pet peeves, But not how you may think. I actually could care less. I mean, It would be great if it was a dime a gallon. But MAN do people gripe about it alot! (not to imply anyone here is).

You know, Ill watch someone pay $5.50 for a pack of smoke in a vending machine at a bar, and then walk back to his seat, light one of them (at over a quarter each), and then gripe cause gas is up 4 cents. Ill watch someone dump eight bucks worth of quarters into a crane machine to win a dirty fifteencent stuffed animal, and then gripe cause gas is $1.90 instead of $1.80 like the other day.

Today, my wife was SO mad because she filled up two days ago, and today , its ten cents down. WHO CARES!!!!!!! I mean, In a 15 gallon tank, 4 cents per gallon is SIXTY CENTS!!! OH MY GOD!! SIXTY CENTS!!! HOW CAN I AFFORD TO SUPERSIZE IT NOW!!!!!

at that rate, if you filled up once a week for a year, There is a difference of $28.80. Less than $30 over a whole year? I see people spend that much on a carton of smokes, Or lottery tickets. BFD.........and I dont mean Big Fountain Drink.

I need gas. I dont have a choice but to buy it. It isnt worth travleing around wasting MORE gas to save 2 cents on the gallon (which MIGHT add up to 40 cents on a fill up). And its MY choice to drive a car that get 16 MPG. SO WHO CARES!

I dont look at gas prices. Never have. I know which grade im getting depending on which car, I run my credit card, I grab the pump, I fill it up. When it shuts off, I hanbg it up, and leave. When the bill comes, I pay it. Done deal.

Ok, I feel better now.

:thumbup:

Gas prices don't bug me at all and I don't make much money. If they did, I'd just get my Honda running again and go back to enjoying 40-50 mpg.

I can't wait until some moron tries sending those gas boycott e-mails around the web again... :gomer:

racer2c
04-02-05, 09:01 PM
I've always felt fortunate that US gas prices have always been fairly cheap and we're probably overdue for catching up to most of the rest of the world. (although gas in the middle east costs pennies)
But with that said, I don't feel that comparing a pack of cigarettes to gasoline is a fair comparison. Gasoline is a necessity in modern society. Cigarettes are not. What would people say if a loaf of bread jumped up to $6.00 a loaf or a gallon of milk jumped to $10. Not because a majority of dairy cows got a disease and there was a major shortage, not because of a major drought in which no wheat was grown but simply because the 'industry' decided that they wanted to charge those amounts.
I can afford $2.07. Heck, I can afford much more. I feel for the less fortunate who I'm sure this is affecting more than me.
I bought a V8 pickup two years ago when gas prices were $1.68. A fill up now is starting to sting. Lack of foresight on my part, or another example of an unfair oil industry pricing structure?
There hasn't been a new refinery built in the US since 1974.
I'd like to see the auto manufactures focus on than just behemoth SUVs.

Wabbit
04-03-05, 02:07 PM
$2.29 for low grade.

Acura like 92 for $2.49 :cry:

Wingnut
04-03-05, 02:14 PM

That's my personal pet peeve. I saw a commercial last night for some Mercury SUV thing. Showed a young couple--no children in sight, another car in driveway--getting up earlier and earlier to be the one to take the SUV for the day. Voiceover states, "...blah blah blah Mercury gas-guzzling SUV. Buy TWO!"

GAH!! Nice friggin' message...

Kiwifan
04-03-05, 02:45 PM
Hey thanks 'geek! Would you mind if I copy and paste that onto a poster so I can hang it on the wall of my Service Station?

I have been saying similar things for years but as you know, being an owner I biased. If you think it's bad paying for a car lot of fuel spare a thought for us who have to pay for 35000lts at a time! That hurts. All that for a lousy 9% gross.

I always laugh when people moan about gas but are buying a litre of water at about $NZ1.95 litre, or Coke, or milk. ;) Nobody says a word.

$NZ, cigs are about $10 for 20, Coke is $1.85 on Special for 1.5lts and milk is $1.95 per litre. Regular unleaded is $1.37 per litre but you can pick it up cheaper in the cities.

Thanks for seeing "our" side mate, appreciate it. Nice to see you around btw.

Rusty.

rocket
04-03-05, 02:59 PM
I've always felt fortunate that US gas prices have always been fairly cheap and we're probably overdue for catching up to most of the rest of the world. (although gas in the middle east costs pennies)
But with that said, I don't feel that comparing a pack of cigarettes to gasoline is a fair comparison. Gasoline is a necessity in modern society. Cigarettes are not. What would people say if a loaf of bread jumped up to $6.00 a loaf or a gallon of milk jumped to $10. Not because a majority of dairy cows got a disease and there was a major shortage, not because of a major drought in which no wheat was grown but simply because the 'industry' decided that they wanted to charge those amounts.
I can afford $2.07. Heck, I can afford much more. I feel for the less fortunate who I'm sure this is affecting more than me.
I bought a V8 pickup two years ago when gas prices were $1.68. A fill up now is starting to sting. Lack of foresight on my part, or another example of an unfair oil industry pricing structure?
There hasn't been a new refinery built in the US since 1974.

That's kinda how I see it too, I understand where Paintergeek is coming from...I mean it's something you need so just do it. When you look at the cars that are hybrids, they say you need to take into consideration the extra cost up front, to the total $$$ you may save at the pump over the life of the car (at least as long as you will own it). Most of the hybrids are very fuel efficient on their own without the electric figured in, it's more of an environmental issue...of course I guess at some point that does rollover into the fuel situation too. My old man works for the oil industry in Alaska, and when we get on the subject he always come with the argument that in the 80's when the oil industry was loosing their butts, noboby was compliaining. I guess there is some price adjustments we are going through. It always seems though the switch to summer blend always creates a "shortage" and the prices spike...if the switchover causes part of the price spike, elimitate it, us that blend year round...if possible.

I have one of the Explorer Sports, with the v6, I'd love to get something like a Focus to save a few $$$ on fuel costs, but at 6'9" there isn't allot out there where I can be comfortable, almost all of the fuel efficient cars are made for midgets. If there was some way to get the seats to slide back another 8 inches to free up some legroom, it may work, because that's where I suffer most in the comfort department. I considered buying a motorcycle for the summer months, but once you figure the cost of that and the fact that probably 25% of the time you can't ride due to weather, I'd still come out ahead even if we paid $4 a gallon

JT265
04-03-05, 03:37 PM
Hey thanks 'geek! Would you mind if I copy and paste that onto a poster so I can hang it on the wall of my Service Station?

I have been saying similar things for years but as you know, being an owner I biased. If you think it's bad paying for a car lot of fuel spare a thought for us who have to pay for 35000lts at a time! That hurts. All that for a lousy 9% gross.

I always laugh when people moan about gas but are buying a litre of water at about $NZ1.95 litre, or Coke, or milk. ;) Nobody says a word.

$NZ, cigs are about $10 for 20, Coke is $1.85 on Special for 1.5lts and milk is $1.95 per litre. Regular unleaded is $1.37 per litre but you can pick it up cheaper in the cities.

Thanks for seeing "our" side mate, appreciate it. Nice to see you around btw.

Rusty.

You and 'geek nailed it. My bitch ain't the price, but the flucuation in the price. Prior to selling the company, like you Rusty, I used to buy 100,000 ltr. a week, or, for our metrically-challenged friends ;) about 25,000 US gallons. Unlike you however, try and pass that cost on to your industrial customer base and see how far you get. Which was just one of many reasons I decided it was time to sell as opposed to watching modest margins get eaten up by the oil companies.

Set the price as high as you want, and the economic model will adjust. I have been paying over 1.00 Euro/liter in Europe every time I've been over the last few years and never given it a thought.

(Except for when you get into the former Soviet Union countries, where it is cheaper than a crack whore at an earl event.) :D

Gnam
04-04-05, 12:58 PM
$2.47 for regular in NorCal

RichK
04-04-05, 01:04 PM
There was a VERY depressing article in Rolling Stone this month concerning the world's oil supply and our future energy woes. I'm not enough of an expert to know if the author is wrong or right, but we are in for some BIG changes in the coming decades when oil starts getting scarce. I'm worried for my daughter.

EDIT - found the article online: The Long Emergency (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7203633?rnd=1112634491156&has-player=unknown)

KLang
04-04-05, 01:12 PM
I watched on the way to work this morning and premium was between $2.20 and $2.40. Don't know why there would be such .20 difference between stations less then 20 miles apart.

I don't normally pay much attention to the prices. Gotta fill up no matter what the cost. I did do a double take last week though when the price for filling up the X5 broke $50. :saywhat:

chop456
04-04-05, 01:13 PM
$2.33 & 48mpg.

Yawn.

Plan ahea
d.

Wheel-Nut
04-04-05, 02:09 PM
I paid $2.27 for the mid-grade. 89 octane, its crazy. I sure hope we have tanker lined up after tanker over there in the Persian Gulf.

"Fill er up boy and don't forget to wash the windshield!!"

RacinM3
04-04-05, 03:06 PM
$2.65 / gallon in Orange County, CA, for 91 octane. It will easily be $3.00 by mid-summer.

I'm glad we got rid of our 5.9 liter Dodge Durango!

JLMannin
04-04-05, 04:15 PM
Where I live, the stations utilize "anticipated demand procing" where the prices rocket up 20 cents a gallon overnight, then slowly decay back down over a period of days. Usually, the prices rocket up on Thursday morning, stay high Friday and Saturday, then decay down Sunday to Tuesday. Some weeks, however, the price rockets up on Tuesday or Wednesday, and are at their lowest on the weekend. It's a game.

racer2c
04-04-05, 04:27 PM
$2.33 & 48mpg.

Yawn.

Plan ahea
d.

I'll get started on that cold fusion solution I thought of on while in the bathroom. :gomer:

Gnam
04-04-05, 04:47 PM
Pretty soon people will be holding up gas stations for...GAS. ;)

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-04-05, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE=Gnam]$2.47 for regular in NorCal[/QU

Same in Northern Wisconsin

dando
04-04-05, 05:02 PM
Jumped to $2.34 for low grade here in Cbus. Oil was briefly >$58 today. I'll wager the national average approaches $2.50 by Memorial Day. :(

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
04-04-05, 05:58 PM
There was a VERY depressing article in Rolling Stone this month concerning the world's oil supply and our future energy woes. I'm not enough of an expert to know if the author is wrong or right, but we are in for some BIG changes in the coming decades when oil starts getting scarce. I'm worried for my daughter.

EDIT - found the article online: The Long Emergency (http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7203633?rnd=1112634491156&has-player=unknown)

Yeah, because you know how Rolling Stone is the most reliable source when it comes to energy speculation ;)

oddlycalm
04-04-05, 06:08 PM
It's a game. Yep, it is a game on every level and the game is fixed, but like any game, there are ways to win. Best way to play around here on the semi-rural local level is to buy gas at the Farmers Coop or card lock coop operations as both are non-profits, and telecommute if at all possible. For most folks, if you take the commute out of the picture their annual driving dwindles to well under 10K/year. Get it down under that level and it basically doesn't matter much what the price of gas is because you won't be buying much of it.

In the bigger picture, putting a big part of one's retirement and/or investment portfolio in energy funds or stocks when the demand cycle is peaking works well. Energy shares are up 21% just since the first of the year and were moving up most of last year as well. For those that have enough invested, gains like that will buy a lot of gas.

Another option that urban dwellers in some areas are using is Flexcar. We have family members that live close enough to walk to work, shopping and entertainment. Flexcar costs around $9/hr including gas. Most of the fleet are hybrids, but there are vans and pickups as well in every market they service. Both my kids are within 5 blocks walking distance of multiple cars and a 5 minute bus ride from half a dozen more. Taking cars out of the annual budget for young folks that live and work in town brings finances into focus real fast.

oc

RichK
04-04-05, 06:18 PM
Another option that urban dwellers in some areas are using is Flexcar. We have family members that live close enough to walk to work, shopping and entertainment. Flexcar costs around $9/hr including gas. Most of the fleet are hybrids, but there are vans and pickups as well in every market they service. Both my kids are within 5 blocks walking distance of multiple cars and a 5 minute bus ride from half a dozen more. Taking cars out of the annual budget for young folks that live and work in town brings finances into focus real fast.

oc

Interesting! I checked out their website, and they provide the insurance coverage with a $500 deductible. Pretty good deal when you don't have car payments, insurance payments, maintenance, parking, etc.

nrc
04-04-05, 09:44 PM
I read that we only have a 20 year supply of known reserves. Back in 1978.

dando
04-04-05, 10:01 PM
I read that we only have a 20 year supply of known reserves. Back in 1978.
Google the terms 'peak oil' sometime. Very interesting reading out there. The gist is that we have reached the limit of 'cheap' oil, and that additional exploration or expensive extraction methods will be needed to reach additional or known reserves. $cary stuff.

-Kevin

racer2c
04-04-05, 10:26 PM
It depends on who you ask e.g. the oil companies or the environmentalist.

I read an article in Road & Track back in the mid 90's that said realistically, we have 200 years of fossil fuels. They've revised that drastically over the last few years, but getting a straight answer that the oil industry and the environmentalists agree on, is impossible.

Chitowncartfreak
04-04-05, 10:40 PM
Gas prices in the northern Chitown burbs hit $2.45 for 87 octane reg unleaded this afternoon - up from $2.25 this morning. I'll be running my Silverado in neutral and relying on gravity until further notice...

dando
04-04-05, 10:51 PM
It depends on who you ask e.g. the oil companies or the environmentalist.

I read an article in Road & Track back in the mid 90's that said realistically, we have 200 years of fossil fuels. They've revised that drastically over the last few years, but getting a straight answer that the oil industry and the environmentalists agree on, is impossible.
True...but the catch is the cost to extract the known reserves. When you add in the restatements on known reserves by RD Shell last year, you end up with a highly speculative market, as it is now.

-Kevin

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-04-05, 10:56 PM
LOL,

Amanda used my log in for what she is paying. Here it is 2.29 for Reg and Midgrade. Was 2.24 this morning when I fiklled up. Glad that amanda's car gets way better mileage than mine does.

Mom

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-04-05, 11:12 PM
Now that I read the rest of this thread......

Most stations here base their price on what they pay when they get the tanks filled. Some stations last week were chanrging 2.35, based on their charges. Of course, the stations that were still at 2.20 were getting all the business. today I noticed that the stations that were higher last week were in line with the other stations. Go figure.....

:)

Gas is a fact of life, just like taxes and death. Everyoine needed it for the most part. Complaining does nothing to reduce the price. Maybe if those who do not really need Hummers, (who really needs a Hummer????) SUV's trucks, etc, drove more economical cars, then the proices would not be as high.

I definately need something other than a convential car to get to work on ice and snow. Here, 6" of snow is not considered an excuse to not be to work on time. In many areas of the country it is. So, I do what I must and pay the price.

Robstar
04-05-05, 12:27 AM
$1.10/litre here - $1.20 for Premium 98 RON

chop456
04-05-05, 01:22 AM
Maybe if those who do not really need Hummers, (who really needs a Hummer????) SUV's trucks, etc, drove more economical cars, then the proices would not be as high.

How dare you?

People DO need big SUV's. What if you need to transport 2 small children or take the occasional trip to the store? A station wagon only provides sufficient space, not the necessary excess that true Americans deserve. Form follows function, and it's obvious that people need a stylish 7,000 lb. vehicle to drive to work every day.

What world are you living in? Commie. :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

rocket
04-05-05, 07:16 AM
http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200504/s1338100.htm
From what I have been reading it almost sounds like the price of crude is a small factor in the spiking fuel prices. The Oil companies haven't built a new refinery in 25 years http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_15565.php
Next on supposedly in AZ. Evidently the refineries right now pretty much run at capacity of course that keeps the money rolling in for the oil industry.

Gnam
04-05-05, 11:53 AM
True...but the catch is the cost to extract the known reserves. When you add in the restatements on known reserves by RD Shell last year, you end up with a highly speculative market, as it is now.

-Kevin
Well, I don't think Chevron bought Unocal for those '76' antenna balls. They had their eye on Unocal's oil reserves. I guess $18 billion for known resources is cheaper than finding or developing new ones.

Linda
04-05-05, 09:30 PM
$2.35 low grade filled up today here in Anderson, IN.
Linda

dando
04-05-05, 10:12 PM
$1.10/litre here - $1.20 for Premium 98 RON
Darn you! Stop posting in metric!! I only like my litres in pop or beers. :gomer:

-Kevin

Rob
04-05-05, 10:24 PM
I paid $2.23 a gallon tonight. The total was $32.56.

The higher the price goes, the more stupid that little .9 looks at the end of the price.

manic mechanic
04-05-05, 10:50 PM
Paid 2.37 last week on a full fill, (87 octane), and topped off last night at 2.44/gal.

Same station was up to 2.48 this morning. :(

I tried to convince my boss that telecommuting was a good idea, but he didn't have any way to get the cars that need repairs to me.

Just have to live with it.

manic

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-05-05, 11:48 PM
Sorry for my lack of knowledge here, lol.

yes, "americans" "deserve" the have the best of everything and not pay for it.

Silly me.

How dare you?

People DO need big SUV's. What if you need to transport 2 small children or take the occasional trip to the store? A station wagon only provides sufficient space, not the necessary excess that true Americans deserve. Form follows function, and it's obvious that people need a stylish 7,000 lb. vehicle to drive to work every day.

What world are you living in? Commie. :rolleyes:

[/sarcasm]

Michaelhatesfans
04-06-05, 12:57 AM
(who really needs a Hummer????)
(smirks)

Robstar
04-06-05, 01:08 AM
Darn you! Stop posting in metric!! I only like my litres in pop or beers. :gomer:

-Kevin

OK, After much mathematics (not my strongpoint)
This is what we pay: USD$3.19/gallon :)

I think... :D

vancouver
04-06-05, 10:05 AM
79 Pence a litre back here in the UK.

anait
04-06-05, 10:22 AM
Can we get a sticky at the beginning of these threads with the conversion formula, I'm begging ya?? :D Every time we talk litres/gallons, Fahrenheit/Celsius, I gotta go googling... ;)

Price was $0.92/litre here last time I looked. Costs about $49 to fill up the van, and a ridiculous amount of $$$$$ to fill up the F250 with diesel. This is the first time I remember that diesel has been more expensive than regular gas. But thankfully mr anait's creative reworking of the glow plugs is working great to heat up the vegetable oil for the truck. Once the weather warms more, there'll be no issue - but it wouldn't work during the winter. :( Gotta come up with a way to run it on oil ALL year, b/c what a difference getting your fuel for free.

Wheel-Nut
04-06-05, 10:31 AM
This will fit in the bed of an F250 and keep the oil warm.

http://www.acemart.com/graphics/00000001/products/FRYMJCF-SDN.jpg

RusH
04-06-05, 10:39 AM
IMO, this is an Arab countersrike to the war, but you can choose not to believe that.

Fight back, report your local gas prices at Gasbuddy (http://gasbuddy.com/) and pay the lowest price.

anait
04-06-05, 10:44 AM
This will fit in the bed of an F250 and keep the oil warm.

http://www.acemart.com/graphics/00000001/products/FRYMJCF-SDN.jpg

:rofl: Yeah, but somebody would steal it from the parking lot!

I think we'll end up insulating and permanently heating the garage...but when the truck is parked outside during the day, in Manitoba winters, it gets tricky. The entire fuel line has to stay heated, so the oil doesn't solidify. When the weather began to warm up, mr anait mixed a small amount of diesel with the oil, which made a huge difference. But for the -40 temps, we're still brainstorming.

JLMannin
04-06-05, 12:27 PM
IMO, this is an Arab countersrike to the war, but you can choose not to believe that.

Fight back, report your local gas prices at Gasbuddy (http://gasbuddy.com/) and pay the lowest price.

To me, it looks like it's the futures traders that are doing this to us, creating the illusion of a shortage to drive up the price and stoke short term profit taking. It's no different that what the futures slimeballs did to the California electricity market (ie, Enron)

Wabbit
04-06-05, 02:14 PM
In the last 48 hours, gas has gone up another 11 cents

$2.36
$2.46
$2.56

Gnam
04-06-05, 02:42 PM
I would love to see the guy who buys this fill up its 70 gallon tank. :laugh:

http://cyncity.typepad.com/cyn_city/images/megatruck1.jpg

International CXT (http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/XTFamily/cxt.asp)

Racing Truth
04-06-05, 05:53 PM
I would love to see the guy who buys this fill up its 70 gallon tank. :laugh:

http://cyncity.typepad.com/cyn_city/images/megatruck1.jpg

International CXT (http://www.internationaldelivers.com/site_layout/XTFamily/cxt.asp)

Which begs one question: WHY??????!!!!! :eek:

Actually 2 questions, as in WTF? :saywhat:

Wally
04-06-05, 06:15 PM
Diesel where I buy, just across the street, went from 2.25 to 2.35 in one shot....... :shakehead

Gnam
04-06-05, 06:21 PM
Song: Canyonero Lyrics

Can you name the truck with four wheel drive,
smells like a steak and seats thirty-five..

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down,
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown!

Canyonero! (Yah!) Canyonero!
[Krusty:] Hey Hey

The Federal Highway comission has ruled the
Canyonero unsafe for highway or city driving.

Canyonero!

12 yards long, 2 lanes wide,
65 tons of American Pride!

Canyonero! Canyonero!

Top of the line in utility sports,
Unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!

Canyonero! Canyonero! (Yah!)

She blinds everybody with her super high beams,
She's a squirrel crushing, deer smacking, driving machine!

Canyonero!-oh woah, Canyonero! (Yah!)

Drive Canyonero!

Woah Canyonero!

Woah!

http://img158.exs.cx/img158/6687/5f10canyonero2cf.jpg

Wabbit
04-06-05, 06:26 PM
Which begs one question: WHY??????!!!!! :eek:

Actually 2 questions, as in WTF? :saywhat:

Some 5th Wheel and Travel Trailer owners buy these (or something like it) because of the weight it can haul. Believe it or not, there are some 5th wheels that are too heavy to be safely towed with a 1-ton.

dando
04-08-05, 12:20 PM
Feds forecast high prices well in to next year (in other words get used to it 4evar):

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050407/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/costly_gas_5

-Kevin

JLMannin
04-08-05, 12:36 PM
Here is the only sentence of significance in the entire story. Pay particular attention to the words inbetween the dashes.

At the core of today's high prices is tight supply — or the expectation of it just around the corner — at a time of and growing demand for both crude and gasoline, government and private analysts said.

Racing Truth
04-08-05, 12:45 PM
Here is the only sentence of significance in the entire story. Pay particular attention to the words inbetween the dashes.

That's true, BUT there is good reason to expect tight supplies: CHINA!!

Their consumption has skyrocketed and will continue to put pressures on the market.

oddlycalm
04-08-05, 04:12 PM
Some 5th Wheel and Travel Trailer owners buy these (or something like it) because of the weight it can haul. Believe it or not, there are some 5th wheels that are too heavy to be safely towed with a 1-ton. Exactly right, and anyone that can afford that truck and the trailer that requires it isn't going to care about the price of diesel, even if it's $5. For the absolute high end in any market, price is never a consideration. However, for the other 99% of the market, traffic on RV lots has gotten thin and demand for Suburbans and Excursions has gotten just at thin.

On the not-quite-high-end, Lexus is introducing the GS450 hybrid which is a full sized luxo-yacht that gets a claimed 18/25mpg but can do 0-60 in 5.7 seconds. Folks in the business that are paying attention noticed that the demographic that is buying most of the hybrids is the affluent 35-55 group that buys most of the high end SUV's and luxo sleds, and that hybrids like the new Accord are backordered for up to a year. Looks to me like the hybrids may be the next big thing. People with comfortable money hate paying up for expensive fuel, and people with small money can't afford it.

oc

Gnam
04-08-05, 04:22 PM
Looks to me like the hybrids may be the next big thing. People with comfortable money hate paying up for expensive fuel, and people with small money can't afford it.
oc
Didn't the Big 3 learn from last time.

http://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/images/car_info/toyota_corolla_coupe_1974.jpg

racer2c
04-08-05, 04:33 PM
I don't know. My in-laws just fulfilled their dream of retiring and purchasing the mobile home of their dreams. They couldn't swing the diesel, but instead got a top of the line, squirrel crushing, deer smokin' gas burnin' beauty. It cost them $425 in gas to get from Tampa to DC last two weeks ago. They are getting ready to set out on a national tour for three years and have adjusted their trip plans for longer stays and less driving. They are upper middleclass folks who can afford the gas, but it still is having an affect.

Amanda B.'s Mom
04-09-05, 06:58 PM
A little bit of perspective here.....

With the latest rises here in gas prices to 2.38/gal for regular unleaded.

I have a 15 gallon tank and mileage ranges from 20-25 MPH. It costs almost 36.00 for a full tank, which I go through on my commute to work in a week.

I am working about 4 hours per week to pay for my gas.

But.......

What else would that money buy?

A nice meal for 2 and drinks
A magazine subscription for a year.
And many other things.

For those in the US, we have had it pretty good for gas prices compaired to the rest of the world.

I cannot work closer to home. I cannot purchase a non 4WD car. So I will pay the higher prices and cut back elsewhere on expenses to afford it.

JMHO

RusH
04-09-05, 08:59 PM
...but higher gas prices bring up inflation due to higher transportation costs.
It sucks no matter how you slice it.

EDwardo
04-09-05, 09:02 PM
Buy stock in big oil. This should help offset increases............