PDA

View Full Version : I came.....I saw......I left

RusH
04-01-05, 09:51 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/dfabi/Album4/Apr0115.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/dfabi/Album4/Apr0109.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/dfabi/Album4/Apr0110.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/dfabi/Album4/Apr0122.jpg

Sorry, I used a toy digital, but you get the idea. It was towards the end of first practice.
Some thoughts.... I needed earplugs, and it smelled different than 2003.
I won`t stray again, I promise. :gomer:

Well worth the gallon of gas round trip to know what I`m against. I saw what I needed to see.

JohnnyQ
04-01-05, 10:01 PM
Pathetic. TG's really f'd OW.

racer2c
04-01-05, 10:15 PM
My sister and her boyfriend are going. I tried to talk them out of it but they live closeby and want to see the 'spectacle'. My sis is a long time Champ Car fanatic. I think she's just trying to impress her new boyfriend on how much she knows about racing.

it's going to be a huge blow to the lemming gomers when they find out that all street race 'events' don't draw huge crowds automatically. Well, at least not for the IRL. And 40K on race day will be a farce in my book.

Lizzerd
04-01-05, 10:27 PM
Local news tonight (I live in Indy. They always send one of the second string reporters to Hurl races...) interviewed Barry Green. Barry was estatic about the 10,000 fans who were there. If true, and that's doubtful, its better than raceday at Phoenix, I guess.

gerhard911
04-01-05, 11:22 PM
10,000 :eek: ???

If that's an accurate number :shakehead seben/eleben musta sold a shipload 'o sammwiches :laugh:

JT265
04-02-05, 12:39 AM
Gomer math Lizz. Let me explain.

If your typical crackforum poster attends, let's say he's looking for his seat, which is J32.

Problem is, CFGomer ain't got enough digits to count out "J" and "32". Consequently, he will pass your station five, maybe even six times looking for his seat. And 'cause it's your job to count folks, you count him.

Five or six times, you understand. And this explains the empty stands too. ;)

:rofl:

sundaydriver2
04-02-05, 12:44 AM
Local news tonight (I live in Indy. They always send one of the second string reporters to Hurl races...) interviewed Barry Green. Barry was estatic about the 10,000 fans who were there. If true, and that's doubtful, its better than raceday at Phoenix, I guess.

I didn't realize that the .1RL employed 9,999 people.

gjc2
04-02-05, 09:48 AM
Most of the people that attended the event only went to see how pathetic the crowd was going to be!

Don Quixote
04-02-05, 10:21 AM
that is some serious bare aluminum in those pics!

mapguy
04-02-05, 10:36 AM
Just substitute the Fatassi sled for Special Ed's ride and it would look just like every other .1rl event.

Turn7
04-02-05, 10:41 AM
I thought the mantra was that practice fans don't count 'cause they will be there for the race. :confused:

Jervis Tetch 1
04-02-05, 10:45 AM
This is so funny. :laugh:

Michaelhatesfans
04-02-05, 11:37 AM
Somebody get the fire marshall - this place is past capacity!

http://www.motorsport.com/photos/irl/2005/stp/irl-2005-stp-tm-0123.jpg

RTKar
04-02-05, 11:57 AM
Street Racing - EARL mistake #546,486...and counting. It looks to me as if this is their Waterloo, had they stuck by their original plan; American short track drivers, they may have succeeded to some extent. All they've really done is given open wheel racing a bad name,making it harder for CC to develop a separate identity from this earl trash. :shakehead

trish
04-02-05, 12:17 PM
They may get a huge crowd.

Wheel-Nut
04-02-05, 12:48 PM
In the motorsport picture. Does ChampCar extend the curbs that far out from the wall?

sundaydriver2
04-02-05, 12:53 PM

It's not hard to get a decent crowd when you let everyone in for free.

:laugh:

racer2c
04-02-05, 12:58 PM

Define huge.

EDwardo
04-02-05, 01:06 PM
Define huge.

"Of exceedingly great scope or nature"?

A veritable "brobdingnagian" event no doubt!

fourrunner
04-02-05, 01:45 PM
Define huge.

Kinda like Helio thinks Dan Wheldon is Huge!!! ;)

nrc
04-02-05, 02:30 PM
Last year the gomers posted pics of the Friday morning crowd to prove what a flop Denver was.

If they can't get a decent crowd on Saturday and Sunday St. Pete will truly be a disaster. But it's a street festival and Honda is spending a lot of money promoting it. So they'll mostly likely have a big enough crowd to look good.

Barry (Back Stabber) Green will claim 10,000 more for the weekend than the first year and the gomers will gobble up his weekend attendance estimate without counting seats or measuring the fence they way the normally do. "Neener neeners" will fly thick and fast from both sides and American open wheel will continue its downward spiral unabated.

Joelski
04-02-05, 02:46 PM
Check the forecast for today. Nuff said. 70 degree weather will keep even the most hardened Florida gomer indoors! Do you hear that hammer? :cool:

fourrunner
04-02-05, 02:49 PM
Last year the gomers posted pics of the Friday morning crowd to prove what a flop Denver was.

If they can't get a decent crowd on Saturday and Sunday St. Pete will truly be a disaster. But it's a street festival and Honda is spending a lot of money promoting it. So they'll mostly likely have a big enough crowd to look good.

Barry (Back Stabber) Green will claim 10,000 more for the weekend than the first year and the gomers will gobble up his weekend attendance estimate without counting seats or measuring the fence they way the normally do. "Neener neeners" will fly thick and fast from both sides and American open wheel will continue its downward spiral unabated.

Hopefully CCWS is on a true & certain upswing, and your last sentence will only hold true for the IRL

Barry Green & Michael Andretti, I believe, have REAL Money involved in this race ... and unless their is a "Bailout" provision from Toyota, Honda, or St. Petersburg, they could stand to lose major money on this race. The math does not lie, no matter how much "Spim" you put on paying attendance.

I've never seen ANY Andretti put up money for anything unless it's a Win Win for them in the end

Barry & Michael may be hurtin after this .... Unless their jusst "front men" for someone else!

RusH
04-02-05, 02:50 PM
Well, the grandstand where I sat in `03 is missing. I was at the end on the straight at turn 4, there is nothing there now :rolleyes:

fourrunner
04-02-05, 02:52 PM
Well, the grandstand where I sat in `03 is missing. I was at the end on the straight at turn 4, there is nothing there now :rolleyes:

I read somewhere that there are only 30,000 grandstand seats available ....
With Barry Green predicting 60,000 for the weekend, He'll have about 15,000 people standing tommorrow!

RusH
04-02-05, 03:01 PM
I read somewhere that there are only 30,000 grandstand seats available ....
With Barry Green predicting 60,000 for the weekend, He'll have about 15,000 people standing tommorrow!

They will say what they want to. The crowd was standing in line for the portacrapper, or whatever.

fourrunner
04-02-05, 03:07 PM
They will say what they want to. The crowd was standing in line for the portacrapper, or whatever.

Just ONE !!! ;)

nrc
04-02-05, 03:12 PM
Hopefully CCWS is on a true & certain upswing, and your last sentence will only hold true for the IRL

Absolutely! Sorry, didn't mean to get all D&G on ya. Certainly Champ Car is on the upswing in a lot of respects. I hope that will translate into success at the turnstiles and on the tube.

Steve99
04-02-05, 03:25 PM
Yep, I believe Barry Green himself said there are 30,000 grandstand seats.

oddlycalm
04-02-05, 03:43 PM
Yep, I believe Barry Green himself said there are 30,000 grandstand seats. My guess is that's around 20,000 more that they will need.

oc

dando
04-02-05, 05:24 PM
The :gomer: press is out in full force, claiming "thousands" attended practice:

http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=2028030

Chief promoter Barry Green says he is hoping to draw 60,000 fans over the three-day weekend, which would compare favorably to the 50,000 that CART claimed in 2003. Friday proved to be a solid start.

:shakehead

-Kevin

Winston Wolfe
04-02-05, 06:02 PM
Did I just read that friggin article correctly ?????

These sleds are NOT required to have a reverse gear ???? WTF....

And Gaylio calls himself "cowboy" ????

This stuff is bad.... really bad.....

They are trying so hard to duplicate what CART was it is unreal....

What a bunch of hypocrites and liars.... this is the WORST I have ever seen, and the "gomerati" over at TF are now saying that street races are great events and that the oval track promoters could learn a thing or two about putting on an event.... and that this race looks like it wont be a "street parade" because of the quality of the drivers and the diversity of the teams...

These guys AB-SO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY slay me with their Kool-Aid swillin' ways :flame:

dando
04-02-05, 06:17 PM
Did I just read that friggin article correctly ?????

These sleds are NOT required to have a reverse gear ???? WTF....

Yup. d00d, they can't keep the trannies in one piece w/only forward gears, how the heck are they gonna add a reverse gear and get 'em to work? :gomer:

I also love how oreO misrepresented the situation between the promoter and city. :shakehead

-Kevin

oddlycalm
04-02-05, 08:31 PM
The article mentioned something I've been wondering about myself. Unless you are in top condition, and drive a car on road course on a regular basis, you are going to have a real hard time running a full race.

There is a big difference between "I used to do that" and "I do that every week." That difference will be glaringly clear on Monday. :D

oc

trish
04-02-05, 08:40 PM
Looks like they had a very decent crowd today.

Hot Rod Otis
04-02-05, 08:49 PM
They are trying so hard to duplicate what CART was it is unreal....

What a bunch of hypocrites and liars.... this is the WORST I have ever seen, and the "gomerati" over at TF are now saying that street races are great events and that the oval track promoters could learn a thing or two about putting on an event.... and that this race looks like it wont be a "street parade" because of the quality of the drivers and the diversity of the teams...

These guys AB-SO-FRIGGIN-LUTELY slay me with their Kool-Aid swillin' ways :flame:

RANT on:

Its not the worst from the lemmings, its just more of the same. These people have been lying and changing their tune non-stop since 1996. I was on Speednet back in 96/97 and I remember when Carl Hogan signed a relatively unknown European road racer named Dario Franchititi, they blew a gasket. Euro-trash road racer, ride buyer, blah blah blah, the usual lemming BS. About a month later, after poor Davy Jones almost got his head ripped off when he crashed his 1st generation Crapwagon, Rick Galles signed a relatively unknown European road racer named Kenny Brack, the EXACT same lemmings were going on about what a great addition he was to the IRL. They were lying hypocrites then and they haven't changed. :rolleyes:

I for one, kinda hope they have a somewhat decent turnout for St. Pete, just so they can even be MORE exposed for the liars and hypocrites they are. Although other than us forum zealots, I don't think anybody gives a crap anymore. I wanna see them brag about the 3-day attendance total, after ripping CART for years for posting 3-day totals. I wanna see them talk about all the new fans they got and all the people who were there for the IRL racin', after they've been ragging on CART street race fans/attendees for years as idiots who were there only because of the beer tents, girls with their tits on display, or watching shiny cars go fast and weren't really "real" race fans, but "event" fans. :rolleyes: They were liars then and their still liars now. :rolleyes:

RANT off.

trish
04-02-05, 08:53 PM
RANT on:

Its not the worst from the lemmings, its just more of the same. These people have been lying and changing their tune non-stop since 1996. I was on Speednet back in 96/97 and I remember when Carl Hogan signed a relatively unknown European road racer named Dario Franchititi, they blew a gasket. Euro-trash road racer, ride buyer, blah blah blah, the usual lemming BS. About a month later, after poor Davy Jones almost got his head ripped off when he crashed his 1st generation Crapwagon, Rick Galles signed a relatively unknown European road racer named Kenny Brack, the EXACT same lemmings were going on about what a great addition he was to the IRL. They were lying hypocrites then and they haven't changed. :rolleyes:

I for one, kinda hope they have a somewhat decent turnout for St. Pete, just so they can even be MORE exposed for the liars and hypocrites they are. Although other than us forum zealots, I don't think anybody gives a crap anymore. I wanna see them brag about the 3-day attendance total, after ripping CART for years for posting 3-day totals. I wanna see them talk about all the new fans they got and all the people who were there for the IRL racin', after they've been ragging on CART street race fans/attendees for years as idiots who were there only because of the beer tents, girls with their tits on display, or watching shiny cars go fast and weren't really "real" race fans, but "event" fans. :rolleyes: They were liars then and their still liars now. :rolleyes:

RANT off.That's extreme. I really don't get people like yourself who wish them success out of spite or to say I told you so. If this race is a success, look for them to try and take over some of Champ Car's other street races.

TravelGal
04-02-05, 08:55 PM
It's not hard to get a decent crowd when you let everyone in for free.

:laugh:

That was the point of Friday. GIVE AWAY ALL the tickets. Get a huge boost on your weekend attendance stats.

I've been saying all along that this race will attract a decent crowd. For lots of reasons. There's the promotion, the money spent to get people there, the advertising. Yes, gang, I'm saying the same thing three times. MOOOLA to get the masses. Some people are fans (I suppose). Some people want to know what all the fuss is about. Some people want to see the *first* IRK street race. Some people don't give cr p. Makes a decent crowd.

My bet is on the 3 Amigos racing elsewhere in SoFla to beat these dudes at their own game. I'm game for it ;)

Ankf00
04-02-05, 09:00 PM
my hopes for the St. Pete event can be found in Ænima

"It's a
Bull**** three ring circus sideshow of
Freaks

Here in this hopeless ****ing hole we call FLA
The only way to fix it is to flush it all away.
Any ****ing time. Any ****ing day.
Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay."

fourrunner
04-02-05, 09:03 PM
There would have been more IRL Fans there today but about 100,000 of them got confused & went to St Petersburg, Russia, including most of the Andretti Family !! ;)

Hot Rod Otis
04-02-05, 09:04 PM
That's extreme. I really don't get people like yourself who wish them success out of spite or to say I told you so. If this race is a success, look for them to try and take over some of Champ Car's other street races.

Trish, got some news for ya. They ALREADY tried to take over other ChampCar street venues. Remember that certain court case in January in Indy? And they'll try again. It wouldn't matter if St. Pete draws 60,000 for the weekend or 600, TG WILL go after Toronto, Long Beach and others..

trish
04-02-05, 09:05 PM
Trish, got some news for ya. They ALREADY tried to take over other ChampCar street venues. Remember that certain court case in January in Indy? And they'll try again. It wouldn't matter if St. Pete draws 60,000 for the weekend or 600, TG WILL go after Toronto, Long Beach and others..
It matters.

Hot Rod Otis
04-02-05, 09:08 PM
It matters.
No it doesn't. They'll go after Long Beach & Toronto because they think that will be the coup de grace to CART/C^RT/OWRS/CCWS. Weren't you payin attention last January?

Megger
04-02-05, 09:09 PM
My girlfriend and I went to the Pier in St. Pete today to eat lunch and I wanted to see if anyone would show up. A comparison of when we went to CCWS race a few years back. We went to Cha Cha Coconuts which is at the top of the Pier. I paid my quarter to use the binoculors and to my amazement the stand were empty. Not to many people walking the peir. We boarded the trolley(the only two riding) had some small talk with the driver. She picked up a few old ladies who complained about the noise. The trolley driver said "these cars sound a lot different than the cars two years ago". I repiled yeah!! This is the TWIRL. The race cars you heard 2 years ago were real race cars. I was getting off the trolley so I didn't have time to school here but it just goes to show that even someone who doesn't know jack about racing can tell the difference between EARL and Champcar sounds.

nrc
04-02-05, 09:18 PM
That's extreme. I really don't get people like yourself who wish them success out of spite or to say I told you so. If this race is a success, look for them to try and take over some of Champ Car's other street races.

There's no "if" about it. They're already trying to take over Champ car's street races now. Long Beach, Toronto or Montreal is every third word out of their mouths when they talk about what they need.

Long Beach is the one that comes up for renewal this year. It's the most important challenge for Champ car since the bankruptcy. If they lose it the image of a series in decline will be right back on top of them. Champ car needs people in the city council meetings at Long Beach the same way we had fans in the bankruptcy court.

This is a pivotal year for open wheel racing. Between Long Beach and the IRL engine formula each side has a lot at stake.

nrc
04-02-05, 09:23 PM
It matters.

It matters in the sense that it gives them something to show those venues to say, "See, we can pull this off. You're not taking a huge flyer on a complete unknown." It matters as something to show Honda and/or Toyota that they can draw a crowd someplace where people aren't required to buy tickets to get their NASCAR seats.

It doesn't matter at all on the question of whether the IRL will pursue those other Champ Car events.

DagoFast
04-02-05, 11:07 PM
Even if the .1rl event tommorow pulls in 100k people (which it won't) Past history has proven next year the crowd will dwindle. It has happened repeatedly, and those that ignore that fact ( the gomers and Ftg) are the only following they can ever count on.

racer2c
04-02-05, 11:23 PM
It doesn't matter if they get 20K or 100K. Tony's "Vision" was an all oval series that would help promote American dit track racers up to Indy Cars.
Street races were evil because it only draws 'event' people, not 'real fans'. The IRL has gone back on every single thing it was supposed to stand for and the 50 fans it has, stick up for every revision.
So we have the press saying that there were 10K for a Friday practice and actual people there saying there wasn't anything cose to 10K. Yeah, I'll believe their Sunday numbers. :rolleyes:

Hey Trish. Here's a link for ya. Enjoy. http://www.trackforum.com

trish
04-03-05, 07:27 AM
It doesn't matter if they get 20K or 100K. Tony's "Vision" was an all oval series that would help promote American dit track racers up to Indy Cars.
Street races were evil because it only draws 'event' people, not 'real fans'. The IRL has gone back on every single thing it was supposed to stand for and the 50 fans it has, stick up for every revision.
So we have the press saying that there were 10K for a Friday practice and actual people there saying there wasn't anything cose to 10K. Yeah, I'll believe their Sunday numbers. :rolleyes:

Hey Trish. Here's a link for ya. Enjoy. http://www.trackforum.com
Is that a place for people who actually want the IRL to fail?