PDA

View Full Version : It's A New Track Record!!...

NismoZ
04-01-05, 02:58 PM
I guess Bruno blew away Lehto's R8 track record in ChampCar's 1st "test" using the full Sebring course... by about 7 seconds! Some are wondering if ChampCar might be looking at running with the ALMS on the 12 hrs. weekend next Spring! I also read the fastest AGR "road racer" was a full 4+ seconds slower than Glock's 50.9 on the 2 mi. test track there...that's REALLY slow! Who said they'd be about equal?

BobN
04-01-05, 03:42 PM
I guess Bruno blew away Lehto's R8 track record in ChampCar's 1st "test" using the full Sebring course... by about 7 seconds! Some are wondering if ChampCar might be looking at running with the ALMS on the 12 hrs. weekend next Spring! I also read the fastest AGR "road racer" was a full 4+ seconds slower than Glock's 50.9 on the 2 mi. test track there...that's REALLY slow! Who said they'd be about equal?

Typical AR1 reporting.

Both Audi and Dyson Lolas have "tested" in the 1:45s. So really the difference is 4 seconds not 7. My guess is that the front running ALMS P1s would be faster than the IRL cars on the same Sebring configuration.

extramundane
04-01-05, 03:55 PM
Typical AR1 reporting.

Both Audi and Dyson Lolas have "tested" in the 1:45s. So really the difference is 4 seconds not 7. My guess is that the front running ALMS P1s would be faster than the IRL cars on the same Sebring configuration.

There was a speed comparison thread on the ALMS forum at one point and I believe that IRL road course speeds were believed to be similar to LMP2 speeds.

oddlycalm
04-01-05, 04:11 PM
There was a speed comparison thread on the ALMS forum at one point and I believe that IRL road course speeds were believed to be similar to LMP2 speeds. Yeah, but it feels much faster.. :D

oc

noquarter
04-01-05, 04:39 PM
Gosh...when I saw the title to this thread I thought it was for 'phrases never to be heard again at .1ndy....

Seriously, with Panoz building chassis for the otherside would he be under pressure to NOT allow Champcar to run at Sebring?
Seems ALMS was (ahem) screwed over by CART once before....
....and when would Champcar run....Thursday/Friday or late Sunday of the ALMS race weekend or a show of their own?

NismoZ
04-01-05, 05:43 PM
Sunday...and how did we get to comparing IRL times to ALMS on a course they've never run?...in a topic about a CC test? ADDHD ? Interesting jump. Typical reporting, you say...they lied? Sounds like they reported an actual time and you are guessing(?) Sure, it's a test time vs. the actual record which is exactly how it was presented. I'm the one who used the attention-getting topic title...sorry if some are upset over that. It sounds to me like Champcars would be 5-7 secs. a lap faster than a P1 at Sebring, which is all I was trying to convey. Maybe we can compare official times someday?

nrc
04-02-05, 03:49 PM
I'm more interested in the possibility of them running a race in Sebring. What would be in it for Panoz? He's already got a big event going for his ALMS series. Why share the spotlight?

NismoZ
04-02-05, 07:53 PM
Like any businessman...a %?...of something!

Ankf00
04-02-05, 08:53 PM
isn't the track too bumpy for them?

NismoZ
04-02-05, 11:18 PM
Very...they ran 167 laps...working on shocks and springs. Good track for that!