PDA

View Full Version : Web Sites

pferrf1
04-01-05, 02:11 PM
I know CCWS has a lot on its plate - but the web site really needs to be upgraded. Right now, I think the IRL's is better. More graphical content, pics, etc. Although, obvioulsy the content itself is is wanting....I mean those Dan Wheldon pics.......

The thing that sticks out to me is how prominently they feature their sponsors on every page.

Chief
04-01-05, 02:29 PM
I think the IRL's site sucks, it's just like their product....fake, hollow and glitzed up to give the impression it's something it's not. Compare it something worthwhile.

rosawendel
04-01-05, 02:46 PM
the irl has a web site? i did not know that....

racer2c
04-01-05, 03:31 PM
The IRL site looks like an amature fan site. :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
04-01-05, 03:44 PM
The IRL site looks terrible, it reminds of 7G's during the final year.

NASCAR has a poorly laid out site, Grand-Am's is too plain, and IMSA and ALMS both have too little on their sites. I honestly think Champ Car has the best of all the race series web sites.

DagoFast
04-01-05, 03:56 PM
The IRL site looks like an amature fan site. :thumdown:

That's so it fits in with everything else .1rl better. ;)

dreamracer
04-01-05, 03:59 PM

Man, good point.

I knew I'd seen that look before... The iNdYcAr site is a clusterf***.

The Champ Car site is the best site out there, for ease of navigation, clarity and usefulness.

dando
04-01-05, 04:21 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, I guess. :shakehead

IMHO (and my 10 years of Web dev experience), the IC.com site is abominable, much like the SpeedTV.com site. It's use of Flash is really gratuitous, and I'd be interested to see how well is complies with W3C disability standards.

-Kevin

JoeBob
04-01-05, 04:28 PM
What dando said.

Their site strikes me as one designed by a graphic artist who hasn't spent much (if any) time studying web usability. Here is an article by Jakob Nielsen (the father of web usability) 1999 on the differences between print design and web design: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/990124.html

That they're still not following guidelines written six years ago tells you all that you need to know.

Wingnut
04-01-05, 06:12 PM
I know CCWS has a lot on its plate - but the web site really needs to be upgraded. Right now, I think the IRL's is better. More graphical content, pics, etc. Although, obvioulsy the content itself is is wanting....I mean those Dan Wheldon pics.......

The thing that sticks out to me is how prominently they feature their sponsors on every page.

Did it hurt to type that? :p

pferrf1
04-01-05, 06:17 PM
Like I said - go to the CCWS website and tell me who the series sponsors are. Open up any IRL page and they are prominently displayed. I just think that is a good idea on the part of the IRL. I hate the structure of their site and the menu system.

Maybe I just think the CART/CCWS site is starting to look stale. Same essential format for 3 +/- years.

cameraman
04-01-05, 06:24 PM
Like I said - go to the CCWS website and tell me who the series sponsors are.

Ummm, "Bridgestone Presents the Champ Car World Series Powered by Ford" is at the top of every single page.

nrc
04-01-05, 06:37 PM
I really thought this was an April Fools post. A flash site is a non-starter.

Cart Champion
04-01-05, 06:53 PM

Quite frankly I reallt can't remember what 7G looked like aside from the logo.

RaceGrrl
04-01-05, 07:03 PM

I thought so too, and didn't respond initially because of that. I like the clean professional look of the CCWS site. The IRL site looks like a bad high school project. Fugly.

Wingnut
04-01-05, 07:27 PM

Oops, I thought it was too. :o

I really like the look of the CCWS site. It's more "familiar" than "stale"

pferrf1
04-03-05, 11:58 AM
I guess 'familiar' might mean stale to others too. Including CCWS.

Other forum is reporting a new CCWS site as of Monday

Mr. Vengeance
04-03-05, 12:23 PM
Quite frankly I reallt can't remember what 7G looked like aside from the logo.

Here's a little trip down memory lane. (http://web.archive.org/web/20030522134539/http://seventhgear.com/)

pferrf1
04-04-05, 12:58 PM
Well - its updated now.