PDA

View Full Version : Play Ball!!!!!

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

dando
09-30-05, 05:27 PM
Huh!!!! Every real Indians fan is rooting for the Yankees right now. Every win is a BoSox loss and one step closer to a Tribe playoff appearance.
I'm only a PT Tribe fan, FT Dodgers fan. However, after this season.... :gomer: ;)

-Kevin

dando
10-01-05, 11:43 AM
Tough loss for the Tribe last night to the Charlotte Knights. :saywhat: Did the ChiSox start one regular position player last night?

'stros down to a one-game lead in the NL WC. Must be puckering up down there in HOU. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
10-01-05, 05:49 PM
Itz tomorrow or nothing for the Tribe, but if the BoSox win, they are in. Looks like Wedgie left Westbrook in too long today. :(

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
10-01-05, 05:56 PM
I'm only a PT Tribe fan, FT Dodgers fan. However, after this season.... :gomer: ;)

-KevinYa jump bandwagons like a LA fan too. :gomer:

dando
10-01-05, 06:10 PM
Ya jump bandwagons like a LA fan too. :gomer:
Lifelong Dodgers fan, holmes, but I'm not a fan of what Doogie Hower II, GM has 'built'. He wrecked the team chemistry with the LoDuca trade last season, hanging onto Malcontent Bradley, and adding fuel to the fire by adding Jeff 'I feel off my truck' Kent. This ain't Tommy Baseball's Dodgers. :shakehead

-Kevin

Stu
10-01-05, 09:00 PM
Tough loss for the Tribe last night to the Charlotte Knights. :saywhat: Did the ChiSox start one regular position player last night?

-Kevin

2 regular starters played.

But it doesnt matter who is on the offense when you have the 2nd best pitching staff in the AL pitching. Score was 3-1, the lack of starters had nothing to do with it.

dando
10-01-05, 09:11 PM
2 regular starters played.

But it doesnt matter who is on the offense when you have the 2nd best pitching staff in the AL pitching. Score was 3-1, the lack of starters had nothing to do with it.
Well, 3-2, but who's counting? ;)

The fact of the matter is that the bats have gone silent the past two series. You may claim the 2nd best P staff for the Pale Hose, but not the D Rays. Losing 5 of 6 vs. the D Rays @ home in August and September is telling.

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-01-05, 09:28 PM

'stros down to a one-game lead in the NL WC. Must be puckering up down there in HOU. :gomer:

-Kevin

GO 'STROS!

More teams need Longhorn pitchers ;)

dando
10-02-05, 04:32 PM
Congrats to the BoSox. Beat the damn Yankees, please!!!

The Tribe just imploded the final week. Losing 5/6 and 6/7 to close it out. :(

-Kevin

Ed_Severson
10-02-05, 04:51 PM
Pretty inexplicable collapse ... one might even call it Tribe-esque.

Nonetheless, they made a hell of a run to even contend, and will be a big factor in the AL for several years to come if they can keep the core of the team intact and healthy.

And, oh yeah, it's still true, even if they did win the division ...

http://portfolio.iu.edu/marmbres/sux.gif

Wahoo!

Napoleon
10-02-05, 05:01 PM
Nonetheless, they made a hell of a run to even contend, and will be a big factor in the AL for several years to come if they can keep the core of the team intact and healthy.

No one expected this year to be this good for them. I think everyone knew they were on the cusp of being really good, but even the most optomistic were predicting mid to high 80's wins. A couple of the guys who had pretty good years weren't even expected to spend most of their year in the majors, and I think there only major loss of a player over the off season maybe Millwood (admittedly that is a big loss).

And to think they had the 5th smallest payroll in the major leagues.

Wahoo!

dando
10-02-05, 06:08 PM
No one expected this year to be this good for them. I think everyone knew they were on the cusp of being really good, but even the most optomistic were predicting mid to high 80's wins. A couple of the guys who had pretty good years weren't even expected to spend most of their year in the majors, and I think there only major loss of a player over the off season maybe Millwood (admittedly that is a big loss).

And to think they had the 5th smallest payroll in the major leagues.

Wahoo!
There will be more losses. Wickman, Howry, and Millwood are all FAs next season. Plus, contracts kick in for Blake and several others. This is gonna be a test to see how much Dolan is willing to $pend. Unfortunately attendance wasn't outstanding this season even down the stretch.

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-02-05, 06:20 PM
Maybe we'll sign Zito. :gomer: :gomer:

Stu
10-02-05, 06:23 PM
There will be more losses. Wickman, Howry, and Millwood are all FAs next season. Plus, contracts kick in for Blake and several others. This is gonna be a test to see how much Dolan is willing to $pend. Unfortunately attendance wasn't outstanding this season even down the stretch.

-Kevin

They set budgets based on 1.8 million fans showing up. Tribe hit over 2 million thanks to the weekend. So attendance was technically outstanding.

dando
10-02-05, 07:18 PM
They set budgets based on 1.8 million fans showing up. Tribe hit over 2 million thanks to the weekend. So attendance was technically outstanding.
In MLB terms, outstanding = 3mm, pure & simple

2mm = exceeded expectations based on 1.8mm as the goal (~10% above target).

Sorry, but when ya had 355 straight sellouts, anything short of that is underwhelming.

-Kevin

Stu
10-02-05, 08:12 PM
455 sellouts.

but anyway, its significantly more than they expected, so its good enough for me. i hear the expect 2.5 next year.

in MLB terms, year 3 million is great, but this is Cleveland. People don't want to admit how small of a market it is, but its darn small. People are head over heals for no good reason about the Browns, and are drinking the Lebron Kool-Aid, so the Indians are left out.

RHR_Fan
10-02-05, 10:23 PM
Go Brewers! They didn't make it into the playoffs, but they finished at 500 and could have even finished a game or two above. There was hope, but who really thought they'd be this good, especially so late into the season. September was an awesome month for them. :thumbup: Bring on '06!

~Nicole

Dr. Corkski
10-04-05, 12:06 PM
The official Corkski playoff prediction:

NLDS
Astros 3, Braves 1
Cardinals 3, Padres 0

ALDS
Chisox 3, Bosox 2
Anaheim Mighty Angels 3, Balco Bombers 1

NLCS
Astros 4, Cards 2

ALCS
Anaheim Mighty Angels 4, Chisox 3

North America Series
Astros 4, Anaheim Mighty Angels 1

Stu
10-04-05, 12:19 PM
Sorry Dr. must disagree.

NLDS:
Braves 3, Astros 2
Cardinals 3, Padres 1

ALDS:
Boston 3, Chicago 2
Anaheim 3, NY 1

NLCS:
Cards 4, Braves 1

ALCS:
Anaheim 4, Boston 2

WS:
Anaheim 4, Cards 3

Gangrel
10-04-05, 12:27 PM
The official Corkski playoff prediction:

NLDS
Astros 3, Braves 1
Cardinals 3, Padres 0

ALDS
Chisox 3, Bosox 2
Anaheim Mighty Angels 3, Balco Bombers 1

NLCS
Astros 4, Cards 2

ALCS
Anaheim Mighty Angels 4, Chisox 3

North America Series
Astros 4, Anaheim Mighty Angels 1

I go with these, except I see the Chisox bumping off the Angels in a close series. But then again, I'm biased...

Gangrel
10-04-05, 12:29 PM
Pretty inexplicable collapse ... one might even call it Tribe-esque.

And, oh yeah, it's still true, even if they did win the division ...

http://portfolio.iu.edu/marmbres/sux.gif

Wahoo!

Wow....had to find a 15 year obsolete logo to pull that one off, eh? But I guess we found out last week that Cleveland is always gonna' be a few steps behind... :D

Ankf00
10-04-05, 12:48 PM
HOU 3-1 ATL
StL 3-1 SD

CWS 3-2 BOS
NYY 3-2 ANA

HOU 4-3 StL
NYY 4-2 CWS

HOU 4-2 NYY

yanquis n 'stros? no i'm not biased :gomer:

Napoleon
10-04-05, 12:50 PM
I would go with

NLDS
Astros 3, Braves 1
Cardinals 3, Padres 0

ALDS
Chisox 3, Bosox 2
Yanks 3, Angels 1

NLCS
Cards 4, Astros 2

ALCS
Yanks 4, Chisox 3

North America Series
Cards 4, Yanks 1

Ankf00
10-04-05, 01:10 PM
yanks vs cards would be epic, the most prolific franchises from their respective leagues... has the potential to become exactly the medicine MLB could use right about now...

Sean O'Gorman
10-04-05, 01:20 PM
yanquis n 'stros? no i'm not biased :gomer:

Too bad New Jersey doesn't have a baseball team. :gomer:

Stu
10-04-05, 01:21 PM
yanks vs cards would be epic, the most prolific franchises from their respective leagues... has the potential to become exactly the medicine MLB could use right about now...

what medicine does the MLB need? Attendance is up, ratings are up, merch sales are up.

Napoleon
10-04-05, 01:39 PM
yanks vs cards would be epic, the most prolific franchises from their respective leagues...

I didn't realize how well the cards have done over the years or how big their fan base was until listening to someone on NPR this summer who wrote a book about them. Many Cardnal fans called in to the show from a large geographic area (the Cards were the "only show in town" to a huge portion of the country from the deep south to halfway to Chicago and out west). It was amazing that on something like NPR (which would never be confused with a call in sports talk network) you would get so many fans of one team to call in to want to talk all things Cards.

I think this was the author and book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618405445/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/103-6550428-6054225?v=glance&s=books&st=*

Ankf00
10-04-05, 02:09 PM
Too bad New Jersey doesn't have a baseball team. :gomer:

too bad Cleveland still sucks like OU :gomer:

what medicine does the MLB need? Attendance is up, ratings are up, merch sales are up.
how about a boring MNF game kicking MLB's arse head to head vs. a world series game in recent years? how about steroids? baseball can use the PR-help and hype in cities outside of boston, ny, and playoff contenders once the red sox and their national whine-fest are out of the picture.

Gangrel
10-04-05, 02:11 PM

Of course...if Ozzieball goes to the World Series, that would be quite a shot in the arm too...the return to fundamentals, with a manager who speaks his mind about everything...Patriots, Part Deux. :D

Stu
10-04-05, 02:43 PM
too bad Cleveland still sucks like OU :gomer:

how about a boring MNF game kicking MLB's arse head to head vs. a world series game in recent years? how about steroids? baseball can use the PR-help and hype in cities outside of boston, ny, and playoff contenders once the red sox and their national whine-fest are out of the picture.

great job defending yourself about being from that craphole on the east coast.

as far as your comments, baseball needs no shot in the arm. they got that last year. and people respect them that they have tackled the roids issue. roids arent hurting baseball anymore. any league can use PR-help, but they don't need it like say the NBA or NHL.

cart7
10-04-05, 02:46 PM
I didn't realize how well the cards have done over the years or how big their fan base was until listening to someone on NPR this summer who wrote a book about them. Many Cardnal fans called in to the show from a large geographic area (the Cards were the "only show in town" to a huge portion of the country from the deep south to halfway to Chicago and out west). It was amazing that on something like NPR (which would never be confused with a call in sports talk network) you would get so many fans of one team to call in to want to talk all things Cards.

I think this was the author and book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0618405445/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/103-6550428-6054225?v=glance&s=books&st=*

The Cardinals nationwide fanbase is due almost entirely to AM radio station KMOX. In the evening, KMOX's signal could be recieved most area's of the south, west, north and east. It stands to reason that the biggest story in St. Louis a couple month's ago was the Cardinals changing radio stations after 50 years and going with an upstart FM sports station. The fact that the games will now have to be picked up on other affiliates vs tuning into 1020 on the AM dial can't be dismissed.

Not to mention the rich baseball history and great players spawned in St. Louis over the 100 + years of the teams history. It's no wonder that if you ask most BB players who has the best and most knowledgeble fans in baseball they'll all say St. Louis.

St. Louis is a baseball town plain and simple. It's almost sickening at times.

I forgot to add, St. Louis annually draws 3 million down to the stadium which is actually more people than are in the entire metro St. Louis area.

Ankf00
10-04-05, 03:15 PM
great job defending yourself about being from that craphole on the east coast.

as far as your comments, baseball needs no shot in the arm. they got that last year. and people respect them that they have tackled the roids issue. roids arent hurting baseball anymore. any league can use PR-help, but they don't need it like say the NBA or NHL.

meh, jersey's jersey, it may be crap but it's a hell of a lot nicer than cleveburg. my that fishing on lake erie is just wonderful this time of year... :laugh:

and steroids hasn't been tackled when it's almost 50% of the national press the sport gets. again, outside of a handful of cities no one GAF like they used to, in cleveland it's different seeing as you have no teams worth more than their weight in manure other than the tribe. when a playoff race plays second fiddle to regular season sports you have a problem.

but hey, if being outshined by monday night football is your definition of success, far be it from me to disagree, feel free to work your marketing magic anywhere I'm not.

Ankf00
10-04-05, 03:21 PM
StL and MLB is like Nebraska w/ football, they know their stuff, period. And they're extremely gracious as well. As far as baseball anyways, when it comes to hockey, ehhh... ;)

Stu
10-04-05, 03:25 PM
that was like in 2002. since that not only has the WS beaten MNF on the same night, but the ALCS has been beating it. baseball needed a shot in the arm, and they got it. youre about 3 years late.

roids is not 50% of the national press. and when it is in the press, its about how MLB is cleaning up the steroid problem. people arent being turned away, they are turning on the players that get caught for roids, and embracing those that aren't. look at palmeiro.

Dr. Corkski
10-04-05, 03:26 PM
Too bad New Jersey doesn't have a baseball team. :gomer:And they still have better pitching than the Balco Bombers. :gomer:

Ankf00
10-04-05, 03:41 PM
again, redsox skywalker vs. darth vader factor notwisthstanding, what about the NLCS last year?

also, palmeiro's received more press this year than the non-bosox/yanks playoff races

Dr. Corkski
10-04-05, 03:55 PM
I don't even like the Bosox. I might hate them even more than the Balco Bombers now.

Last year St. Louis was lucky they had to face Pete Munro instead of Andy Pettite when they were down 3-2 in game 6.

Stu
10-04-05, 04:47 PM
again, redsox skywalker vs. darth vader factor notwisthstanding, what about the NLCS last year?

also, palmeiro's received more press this year than the non-bosox/yanks playoff races

yes Ank, we know Palmeiro has received a lot of press. But guess what, its good press when a star gets busted for roids. Cuz then fans are gonna say, "hey, they bust palmeiro, they must be serious." They are showing they are trying to be tough on their steroid policy. That is good for the game, and fans respect baseball for doing it. They may hate Palmeiro, but that is the point. And people didn't watch as much of the NLCS last year because the ALCS was so great, if you can only see 1 game, which would you rather watch?

Ankf00
10-04-05, 05:05 PM
again, stuff off the field, lotsa press
stuff on the field, not as much

get back to me with this argument when baseball starts comparing it's WS #'s to it's all-time #'s and not just post-95.

alcs: not interesting first 3 games, I'd call Roger Clemens' supposed final season vs. the tradition steeped cards good TV, but hey, that's just me, things are obviously different in the more bang for your buck suburbs of cleveburg

Ankf00
10-04-05, 06:37 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/100505dnsporanglede.c075d9c5.html

Jon Daniels' the new Rangers GM...

He's twenty EIGHT years old. :eek: Talk about career advancement.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/10-05/1004daniels2.jpg

Kid on the right...

Can't hurt
After years of having true men of baseball genius in the GM job, maybe it's a good thing the Rangers are giving an amateur a chance.

28 years old?

I've got hangovers older than that.

Posted by Eddie Sefko

:rofl:

Stu
10-04-05, 07:37 PM
After all the years in Cleveland, Hart still didn't learn that pitching wins ball games. He was supposed to stay on in Cleveland as a consultant when he retired here, so the fact that he is doing so in Texas is meaningless. Wonder where Hart will go.

Stu
10-04-05, 08:06 PM
I knew he wasn't having a very good year, but Clement sucks.

Napoleon
10-04-05, 08:15 PM
Jon Daniels' the new Rangers GM...

Huh, Hart was fired?

Ankf00
10-04-05, 08:24 PM
Huh, Hart was fired?

this morning, end of season press conference cancelled, then re-scheduled for this afternoon where they decided that it's time a Gen-X'er lead the Rangers into this new millenium...

Rangers get their man...

Rangers GM job ad: Seeking 20-something Ivy League graduate who listens to The Killers and Ryan Adams. Would prefer someone who has experience with losing organizations such as the Colorado Rockies.
Must have read Moneyball at least three times. Previous experience dealing with human beings not required.

Losing Org- CHECK: UT == lost 5 times in a row to OU
Ryan Adams - CHECK
The Killers - CHECK
Read Moneyball - 1/3 CHECK: need to read it twice more
Ivy League BS - should've gone to Cornell :(

this redefines corporate ladder, I can't wait to see the meltdown from cocky Rangers' fans next year when they get shown up by the 'stros yet AGAIN :rofl:

dando
10-04-05, 09:56 PM
I can't wait to see the meltdown from cocky Rangers' fans next year when they get shown up by the 'stros yet AGAIN :rofl:
WTF, have y'all done in the post season?!? :saywhat: Aye, come w/in a few outs of tasting the punch. If tasting the playoffs mean that much, Browns' fans rule. :gomer:

Back to the playoffs...not sure I h8 worse, Yankees or Halos. Hmmmm, this will take some deep contemplation.....

Oh, and UT sux, BTW. :D

-Kevin

Ankf00
10-04-05, 10:01 PM
when you're in the bottom 1/3 of payroll every year and dealing with obnoxious Dallas people, yes, playoffs mean a lot :p

dando
10-04-05, 10:15 PM
While f00boy savors the feeling of the Stroh's reaching the playoffs for one final time in a long, long while.... :gomer:

Doogie Howser II, GM waved his wand yet again and canned Tracy as Manager of Real LA. If anything would drive me from being a Dawdgers fan, this cat will do it. Who's next? Vin? MF'er! :flame:

-Kevin

dando
10-04-05, 10:18 PM
when you're in the bottom 1/3 of payroll every year and dealing with obnoxious Dallas people, yes, playoffs mean a lot :p
Blah, blah, blah....the owner's too cheap....new ballpark....crappy city and fans...spending $20mm+/season on two SPs....might be better to relo to Norman. :D

Ya want cheese w/dat whine? :gomer:

-Kevin

Stu
10-04-05, 10:23 PM

Playoffs don't mean crap Ank, Championships do. If Houston doesnt at least make it to the World Series, they should consider their year a failure, same with Atlanta and St. Louis, as well as everyone in the AL. The only people I'd give a pass to is the fathers. They weren't in it last year, and they are a .500 ballclub.

devilmaster
10-04-05, 10:27 PM
Playoffs don't mean crap Ank, Championships do.

So then, Cleveland fans aren't upset they came within a day or two of making the playoffs??? :confused:

Ankf00
10-04-05, 10:42 PM

ah yes, only Padres are allowed moral victories by you... silly me...

Dr. Corkski
10-04-05, 11:21 PM
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/ANS11510050215.jpg

FaFu + Anaheim Mighty Angels = pwned.

Stu
10-05-05, 07:03 AM
So then, Cleveland fans aren't upset they came within a day or two of making the playoffs??? :confused:

We are upset, you can't win a championship without making the playoffs. :rolleyes:

Stu
10-05-05, 07:10 AM
ah yes, only Padres are allowed moral victories by you... silly me...

Yes the Padres may not be considered a failure if they don't win a championship because going into the season they did not have a championship caliber team. The same could be said for the anyone else in the NL West, the Rangers, the A's, the Indians, the Mariners, Tigers, Royals, Drays, and Jays and a bunch of other NL teams. These teams were not expected to do anything this year, so making the playoffs should be considered a successful season. You may be able to thrown Chicago in there too, they were expected to be mid packers all year.

But if you want to tell me that the Angels, Red Sox, the New Jersey Yankees, Cards, Stros, and Braves should be happy even if they dont get a World Series, then thats pathetic.

Ankf00
10-05-05, 08:26 AM
You're clueless if you think the Astros weren't lucky just to make the wildcard the past 2 years. Especially this year after losing 3 of their biggest bats.

As for winning titles, wasn't it you citing the numerous division titles Cleveburg owns when defending the dump by the lake's sporting record? Gee, I wonder why that tune has changed.

Ankf00
10-05-05, 08:35 AM
also, we've strayed from the point.

the truth remains

Houston >> Dallas
Astros >> Rangers
* >> Cowboys (except the Browns)
The Rangers are now run by Doogie Howser
and Dallas has an oral fixation with very large phalli

The End.

Gangrel
10-05-05, 11:48 AM
White Sox in 3. Anyone? Anyone? :D

Stu
10-05-05, 12:48 PM
You're clueless if you think the Astros weren't lucky just to make the wildcard the past 2 years. Especially this year after losing 3 of their biggest bats.

Were they lucky to make the playoffs? Maybe, who cares? They were there last year and are not an up and coming team. Therefore, if they dont win this year, it should be considered a failure.

As for winning titles, wasn't it you citing the numerous division titles Cleveburg owns when defending the dump by the lake's sporting record? Gee, I wonder why that tune has changed.

Ummm, no. I brought up the division titles when you said, "when was the last time the Indians won a title?" You asked, I answered. :rolleyes:

When we were comparing sporting records, I compared national championships. Not division or league titles. I would never say, ohhh the Indians won more division titles than the stros, so you guys suck, since division titles don't mean jack. Look at the Braves. 14 in a row. 1 World Series, thats an embarassment. Congratulations Atlanta, you have as many Championships as the KC Royals in the last 20 years.

Go back and read what was said before you complain. Tune hasn't changed at all buddy. :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-05, 01:00 PM
When we were comparing sporting records, I compared national championships. Not division or league titles. I would never say, ohhh the Indians won more division titles than the stros, so you guys suck, since division titles don't mean jack. Look at the Braves. 14 in a row. 1 World Series, thats an embarassment. Congratulations Atlanta, you have as many Championships as the KC Royals in the last 20 years.

Uhh, Stu, it is still one more than Cleveland has in the past 40.

"Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant."

Ankf00
10-05-05, 01:27 PM
They were there last year and are not an up and coming team.

obviously your familiarity with their roster is nil, get back to doing whatever it is you cleveburg for lifers do. then again I'm sure you're the one person in the universe who predicted Ensberg's #'s this year :laugh:

Stu
10-05-05, 03:31 PM
Uhh, Stu, it is still one more than Cleveland has in the past 40.

"Remember, fans, Tuesday is Die Hard Night. Free admission for anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant."

First off, the Tribe hasn't had one since 48, thats 57 years not 40. Second, I never said the Indians should be proud of their accomplishments.

SOG, I guess if your gonna take Ank's side that making the playoffs is a great accomplishment, you must be really proud of Jeremy Mayfield.

Stu
10-05-05, 03:45 PM
obviously your familiarity with their roster is nil, get back to doing whatever it is you cleveburg for lifers do. then again I'm sure you're the one person in the universe who predicted Ensberg's #'s this year :laugh:

Ank if 2nd place is good enough for you, by all means enjoy it. For some reason, it doesn't appeal to me.

Gangrel
10-05-05, 04:01 PM
Ank if 2nd place is good enough for you, by all means enjoy it. For some reason, it doesn't appeal to me.

Just like the Cubs....playin' for the wild card... :D

Ankf00
10-05-05, 04:02 PM
no one said it's a great accomplishment, however it is a certain accomplishment in and of itself, especially when considering last year's injuries and this year's lack of established talent and bats. And back to my ORIGINAL POST, it is something the Rangers can't even reach.

Now tell me, if only winning the World Series can be considered a "great accomplishment," why do teams hang banners for division titles? Why are the league pennents regarded with such high esteem? I guess it means franchises, players, historians, and hall-of-famers are so enamoured with the prospect of failing to reach the pinnacle :rolleyes:

Stu
10-05-05, 04:37 PM
Now tell me, if only winning the World Series can be considered a "great accomplishment," why do teams hang banners for division titles? Why are the league pennents regarded with such high esteem? I guess it means franchises, players, historians, and hall-of-famers are so enamoured with the prospect of failing to reach the pinnacle :rolleyes:

Teams hang banners for Marketing purposes. Players don't care about winning the division. Historians don't either. Hall of famers have a tougher time of making the hall of fame if they never won a World Series.

It's marketing, its to get people like you riled up. "Sweet, we just made the playoffs. Only us and 7 other teams got in. We are in the top 26.6% of all baseball teams. We rule!!!!"

It meant something more when only 2 teams in each league went to the post season. Now don't get me wrong, I love the new post season format, baseball has without a doubt the best and fairest post season set up of any pro sport, but winning the division, just isn't that meaningful.

Ankf00
10-05-05, 04:48 PM
yea, I'm so very riled up... again, the original post... astros >> rangers. subsequent post, astros weren't supposed to come close to putting up the runs to make playoffs this year, but I get to see Roger make a final playoff run.

Texas, 33 trips to Omaha, 6 titles, gee, we were failures 4 out of 5 times, so sad... guess that sapped all the fun out of road tripping to Omaha every June, we're just the suckers for marketing ploys "QUALIFIED FOR COLLEGE WORLD SERIES" :laugh:

no one's said championships aren't the ultimate goal, there are other noteworthy goals along the way. such as spanking rivals, making playoffs, making finals. but again, that's not for you, njoy a lifetime w/ no enjoyment in your sports hobbies

Stu
10-05-05, 05:35 PM
no one's said championships aren't the ultimate goal, there are other noteworthy goals along the way. such as spanking rivals, making playoffs, making finals. but again, that's not for you, njoy a lifetime w/ no enjoyment in your sports hobbies

those are all short term goals. and they are great. but i would trade every cleveland browns win against the steelers for a superbowl. every win against the twins or white sox for a world series. i would trade every trip the indians made to the playoffs in the 90's and 01 for just 1 world series victory. it really puts stuff in perspective.

a championship is something that last a while. the red sox are gonna remember 2004 for years to come, even if they dont come close to a world series again.

who remembers who the marlins beat in 97 for the world series? probably only clevelanders and all 12 marlins fans that were living back then.

so if you want to be happy with winning short term meaningless goals, then by all means have fun making something important out of stuff that is not. ignorance is bliss.

Ankf00
10-05-05, 05:43 PM
captain obvious to the rescue.

what does captain obvious say about a team that loses jeff kent, carlos beltran, and jeff bagwell all in one season and Berkman out with knee surgery? he says they SHOULD win the championship regardless ;) Ensberg's flaming-hot run was always expected by the cap'n ;)

should the 'stros be content? no. should they be happy? yes. is this gonna last for years? no one's pretending it will. is it gonna last for the next 2 weeks? yes.

life isn't binary

Ankf00
10-05-05, 07:36 PM
w00t, 10-5, Pettite W

dando
10-05-05, 07:59 PM
w00t, 10-5, Pettite W
Cards are gonna bury y'all. Take solace in yer moral victory in the NLDS.

-Kevin

dando
10-05-05, 08:07 PM
White Sox in 3. Anyone? Anyone? :D
Ummmm....

:checks scoreboard:

No. :gomer:

And what was up with dat shiat running into the wall @ full tilt up 14-2?!? :saywhat: That's almost as bad as hurting yer best SP celebrating a divisional crown w/a record barely above .500. :shakehead

-Kevin

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-05, 08:11 PM
SOG, I guess if your gonna take Ank's side that making the playoffs is a great accomplishment, you must be really proud of Jeremy Mayfield.

I just don't like Mayfield because you're a fan of his. :laugh:

But, yes, it is an accomplishment.

Ankf00
10-05-05, 08:15 PM

-Kevin

he who is not in playoffs may shup now :p

NASCAR... the EPITOME of "finishing 2nd is really good too" or 4th or 8th or 10th even... :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
10-05-05, 08:24 PM

-KevinCarpenter-Mulder-Morris-Marquis

over

Clemens-Pettite-Oswalt-Backe?

:laugh:

Al Czervik
10-05-05, 08:41 PM
Tony "Buckner" Graffanino. D'Oh :D

Make 'em pay for the mistake.

Sean O'Gorman
10-05-05, 08:42 PM
but again, that's not for you, njoy a lifetime w/ no enjoyment in your sports hobbies

So now you are telling us how to enjoy watching sports? :laugh:

At least Stu has never been pelted by batteries from other fans. :D

Ankf00
10-05-05, 08:43 PM
So now you are telling us how to enjoy watching sports? :laugh:

At least Stu has never been pelted by batteries from other fans. :D

I thought I needed to play the foil to your "this is how you enjoy watching racing" :gomer:

Stu
10-05-05, 09:55 PM
White Sox are proving that a good pitching staff beats a good lineup any day of the week.

I guess I should have made my predictions based on who I thought would win, not who I wanted to win. :)

Ankf00
10-05-05, 09:57 PM
I guess I should have made my predictions based on who I thought would win, not who I wanted to win. :)

that's ****ed me in every march madness bracket since 99/00, the last year I really tried to do it honestly

tllips
10-05-05, 10:19 PM
Most White Sox fans already liked Graffanino...

Now we love him!!!! :D

2-0 Baby!!!!!!

Gangrel
10-06-05, 10:49 AM
Ummmm....

:checks scoreboard:

No. :gomer:

And what was up with dat shiat running into the wall @ full tilt up 14-2?!? :saywhat: That's almost as bad as hurting yer best SP celebrating a divisional crown w/a record barely above .500. :shakehead

-Kevin

Well now....as I was saying....White Sox in 3? Anyone? Anyone?

I brought some salt and lemon juice just for such an occasion... :D

Ankf00
10-06-05, 11:12 AM
salt and lemon juice? what are you doing, making michaladas? doesn't sound very chicago :gomer:

Gangrel
10-06-05, 11:47 AM
salt and lemon juice? what are you doing, making michaladas? doesn't sound very chicago :gomer:

Yeah yeah....I am laughing all the way to the World Series, Ank. :D

Ankf00
10-06-05, 11:59 AM
Yeah yeah....I am laughing all the way to the World Series, Ank. :D
1. Don't count your chickens before your eggs hatch :p
2. GO 'STROS! GO ROCKET!

http://images.chron.com/content/news/photos/04/01/08/clemens/ut83.jpg

Gangrel
10-06-05, 12:37 PM
2. GO 'STROS! GO ROCKET!

Say what you want about the 'Stros, but when the Chisox beat the Cards in game 6.... :D

dando
10-06-05, 01:12 PM
Well now....as I was saying....White Sox in 3? Anyone? Anyone?

I brought some salt and lemon juice just for such an occasion... :D
:p

-Kevin

Gangrel
10-06-05, 01:27 PM
:p

-Kevin

The fall is always so much harder when you speak in the 3rd or 4th inning... :D

Ankf00
10-06-05, 01:45 PM

touche.

dando
10-06-05, 04:44 PM
I predict the Sox will not lose....today. :D

-Kevin

Gangrel
10-06-05, 05:01 PM
I predict the Sox will not lose....today. :D

-Kevin

Wow...I'm surprised you're not predicting the Sox will win tomorrow...

(not specifiying which Sox)

Keep that up, and I'm gonna' start talking like Ozzie does at press conferenced....then y'all will be in trouble... :D

dando
10-06-05, 05:08 PM
Wow...I'm surprised you're not predicting the Sox will win tomorrow...

(not specifiying which Sox)

Keep that up, and I'm gonna' start talking like Ozzie does at press conferenced....then y'all will be in trouble... :D
Damn. That was my prediction for tomorrow. :D

-Kevin

Gangrel
10-06-05, 05:21 PM
Damn. That was my prediction for tomorrow. :D

-Kevin

Hey...Francona, Big Poppie, D. Wells, Tony G., Manny and the gang can take solace that there are still plenty of good tee times available, and the weather should hold out a bit longer...

On the other hand, no golfing for Ozzie and the crew...they're going to be...umm....traveling on business for the next few weeks. :D

Stu
10-07-05, 08:54 AM
Hey...Francona, Big Poppie, D. Wells, Tony G., Manny and the gang can take solace that there are still plenty of good tee times available, and the weather should hold out a bit longer...

On the other hand, no golfing for Ozzie and the crew...they're going to be...umm....traveling on business for the next few weeks. :D

Don't be so happy. You guys are facing the worst team in the playoffs next to the fathers. The way they have played the last 3 weeks, even the Twins could have beaten them.

Gangrel
10-07-05, 10:00 AM
Don't be so happy. You guys are facing the worst team in the playoffs next to the fathers. The way they have played the last 3 weeks, even the Twins could have beaten them.

LOL And they're playing the team that almost singlehandedly turned around the toughest team in the second half and sent them home with their tail between their legs and no playoff berth...yet somehow that gets us no respect. Go figure...

dando
10-07-05, 03:40 PM
The entire east coast is soaked. It doesn't look good for any ball to be played this weekend. Boston is in the clear for now, but don't expect that to last long.

-Kevin

dando
10-07-05, 03:40 PM
2. GO 'STROS! GO ROCKET!

About that Rocket guy.... :D :p

-Kevin

Gangrel
10-07-05, 03:46 PM
The entire east coast is soaked. It doesn't look good for any ball to be played this weekend. Boston is in the clear for now, but don't expect that to last long.

-Kevin

Just checked the weather channel. Rain hasn't started in Boston, and isn't supposed to until around 10 tonight. By then, the Red Sox will already be booking their tee times for the coming week. :D

Ankf00
10-07-05, 03:59 PM
About that Rocket guy.... :D :p

-Kevin

blow me. :mad:

Stu
10-07-05, 04:56 PM
blow me. :mad:

http://www.progressiveimage.com/art-mfgr/ebm-1.gif

Gangrel
10-07-05, 05:07 PM
What is it with Red Sox pitchers and beaning our leadoff guys? Somehow, that strategy don't seem like it would work too well to me... :D