PDA

View Full Version : Pam Reed - 300 miles

indyfan31
03-30-05, 05:38 PM
I realize there probably isn't a whole lot of interest in ultrarunners here, but I'm posting this just because of the athletic achievement involved.

On Monday afternoon Pam Reed finished a run that started the Friday before, covering 300 miles (and 3 pairs of shoes). Last year she finished 4th in the 135-mile Badwater Ultra, she won the race the two years before that.

Pam Reed story (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/breaking/032805reed.php)

Lizzerd
03-30-05, 06:15 PM
I realize there probably isn't a whole lot of interest in ultrarunners here, but I'm posting this just because of the athletic achievement involved.

On Monday afternoon Pam Reed finished a run that started the Friday before, covering 300 miles (and 3 pairs of shoes). Last year she finished 4th in the 135-mile Badwater Ultra, she won the race the two years before that.

Pam Reed story (http://www.tucsoncitizen.com/breaking/032805reed.php)

Big Deal. Forrest Gump ran coast to coast. Then he turned around. Not impressed in the least.

:D

Methanolandbrats
03-30-05, 07:01 PM
Cool, an ultrarunning thread. That time is right up there, the women's record for 500k is 77:53. Some of the most amazing times are at the shorter distances. I ran in the race where Bruce Fordyce set the 50mile road record in 1984 4:50:51....a 5:49 pace..........I still had quite a ways to go when he finished :D 100 mile track record is 11:30:51, a 6:54 pace for 100 f'n miles. I just can't get my mind around that one.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-30-05, 07:32 PM
And I think I'm something because I can regularly cover 5 miles :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
03-30-05, 08:42 PM
And I think I'm something because I can regularly cover 5 miles :gomer:You are. Running is something to be enjoyed. Thinking "I should do more", "I used to be able to", "so and so does this or that" and any other baggage just ruins a relaxing time.

indyfan31
03-30-05, 09:14 PM
100 mile track record is 11:30:51, a 6:54 pace for 100 f'n miles. I just can't get my mind around that one.

Jumpin' jehosehfat! That's freekin' fast! I can't break the 7:30 pace for ONE mile.
I crewed/paced a runner in the Angeles Crest 100 and he finished in 24:30:00, I thought that was fast. Of course that included two climbs to 9000 and 5700 feet.

oddlycalm
03-31-05, 03:32 PM
"I used to be able to" Exactly right, everyone has a "used to be able to" high water mark. Those used to be thoughts can be a serious barrier to dealing with the here and now realities.

oc

RichK
03-31-05, 03:37 PM
Exactly right, everyone has a "used to be able to" high water mark. Those used to be thoughts can be a serious barrier to dealing with the here and now realities.

oc

Very true. I spent some years as a competitive cyclist, and going for a ride now can be depressing if I let the old times define my ride.

indyfan31
03-31-05, 04:41 PM
I'm hoping I haven't reached my "used to be able to". I still need a 3:30 marathon if I ever want to get to Boston.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-31-05, 05:05 PM
You are. Running is something to be enjoyed. Thinking "I should do more", "I used to be able to", "so and so does this or that" and any other baggage just ruins a relaxing time.I do enjoy it and it comes in handy when I'm mad, annoyed or just plain agitated. If I'm super pi$$ed, I go to the batting cages and let out my aggression.

Thanks for compliment.

indyfan31
03-31-05, 07:26 PM
I do enjoy it and it comes in handy when I'm mad, annoyed or just plain agitated. If I'm super pi$$ed, I go to the batting cages and let out my aggression.

Thanks for compliment.

Considering that there are people who can't go around the block without stopping, 5 miles is quite an achievement. I have a friend who after 6 months of trying finally reached the 10k-in-one-run plateau, he was pretty excited to show me his GPS unit.
What amuses me is that, if they get hooked on running and keep increasing their mileages, at some point in the future they will use the phrase "I only did 5 miles this weekend"; that's when I remind them that it was not that long ago that 5 miles was a big deal.