PDA

View Full Version : Super Speedway on UPN at 5:00pm

SurfaceUnits
03-27-05, 02:36 PM
Mid-90s documentary of the Newman/Haas team narrated by PLN, with Mario and somebody else, I forget. :)

pchall
03-27-05, 04:00 PM
Mid-90s documentary of the Newman/Haas team narrated by PMN, with Mario and somebody else, I forget. :)

Hmmm... I've got Maximum Exposure listed on UPN in the local schedule for my market. But I will dutifully check at 5pm.

SurfaceUnits
03-27-05, 04:11 PM
5pm Eastern. Maximum Exposure, at 6pm EST

Sean O'Gorman
03-27-05, 04:22 PM
Awesome. Oh wait, I already have the DVD. :)

nrc
03-27-05, 08:57 PM
I especially like the part where Mario and the family are sitting around the campfire counting their appearance fee.

Ankf00
03-27-05, 11:55 PM
saw the end of it last weekend on some broadcast channel, but not sure which one... never seen the whole thing

racer2c
03-28-05, 01:08 AM
Mario has a pig. Mmm Bacon.
I have it on DVD too. Watched it once.

Now my Victory by Design DVDs I break out every other day. :)

pchall
03-28-05, 07:51 AM
Got screwed in my tv market. MaxEx filled that time slot with people being stupid.

Wabbit
03-28-05, 12:30 PM
It was on a week ago in the Seattle area.

pchall
03-28-05, 01:14 PM
It was on a week ago in the Seattle area.

So, this might be some sort of optional programming available to UPN stations?

NismoZ
03-28-05, 01:31 PM
The best part is the story about the rebuilding of Mario's first USAC roadster...a real rebuild of an historic racer. You can just FEEL the emotion when he slips back into the cockpit after all those years. That scene showed some of the most genuine, happy smiles from all concerned...including this viewer. :)

Wabbit
03-28-05, 03:56 PM
So, this might be some sort of optional programming available to UPN stations?

It was advertised as "HDTV Theater" or something like that.

SID
03-28-05, 07:44 PM
I saw this on the local Montreal IMAX screen at the Candian GP in '97... with several hundred MANIC racing fans....... amazing experience.... people cheering (in at least six languages) during all of the on-track "you are behind the wheel" stuff

BIG difference between watching it there, and watching it on the '27 Trinitron, I'd guess....

Lizzerd
03-28-05, 10:44 PM
I saw it at an IMAX theater too. I was at M-O the year ('97?, '98?)that some of the footage was filmed. Mario was in the middle of a couple practice sessions in his Havoline car with this HUGE camera mounted on the nose. And he wasn't slowing anybody behind him. I heard, maybe it was announced on the PA or I read it somewhere, that Mario was given unlimited turbo boost so he could keep up with the other guys while carrying the aero anchor in his face. I saw him somewhere else that year doing the same. RA or MIS, maybe.

Wabbit
03-29-05, 01:17 PM
I saw it at an IMAX theater too. I was at M-O the year ('97?, '98?)that some of the footage was filmed. Mario was in the middle of a couple practice sessions in his Havoline car with this HUGE camera mounted on the nose. And he wasn't slowing anybody behind him. I heard, maybe it was announced on the PA or I read it somewhere, that Mario was given unlimited turbo boost so he could keep up with the other guys while carrying the aero anchor in his face. I saw him somewhere else that year doing the same. RA or MIS, maybe.

In the DVD they say they he was running in excess of 1000hp.

ncmlj
03-29-05, 05:58 PM
I watched them film at M-O and RA. The coolest thing was seeing that car come into Canada corner at the speed of the other cars. Before getting to Canada corner they are just about at 200mph. :thumbup:

SID
03-30-05, 10:48 PM
Mario blasted that monster around MIS for quite a few laps. That friggin engine was wound tighter than a $20 Rolex in a street vendors suitcase. He also had it out in the early misty morning at Mid-Ohio. I was standing outside the fence just after the keyhole (on top of an RV), and the wheelspin that he was getting on that moist track gave him the only roostertails made of pure steam that I have ever seen...... :thumbup:

Ahhhh, memories

JohnnyQ
03-30-05, 11:11 PM
Mario blasted that monster around MIS for quite a few laps. That friggin engine was wound tighter than a $20 Rolex in a street vendors suitcase. He also had it out in the early misty morning at Mid-Ohio. I was standing outside the fence just after the keyhole (on top of an RV), and the wheelspin that he was getting on that moist track gave him the only roostertails made of pure steam that I have ever seen...... :thumbup:

Ahhhh, memories

Thanks dude.....off with these undies. :gomer: