One of my favorites.

I never felt so much ALIVE!

Classic Apex
03-26-05, 11:10 PM
Guns of Brixton.

Perfection.

lone_groover
03-26-05, 11:45 PM
The famous cover photo of Paul smashing his Precison Bass was taken on Friday, September 21, 1979 at the Palladium (the old Academy of Music on 14th Street), the second of a two-night fun city stand for their "Take the Fifth" tour, supported by Sam and Dave (who were again popular thanks to the Blues Brothers' "Soul Man" cover) and the Undertones.

I went to the show the previous night, Thursday the 20th, wearing the hand painted "Brigade Rosse" tee shirt that my little sis had made me. It was a tremendous show, best I'd seen them ever - and I've never missed a tour before or since. Anyway, as I recall, they debuted several songs that would appear on London Calling on that tour, including: Wrong 'em Boyo, Clampdown, Stay Free and London Calling. Mickey Gallagher of the Blockheads joined in on organ for the newer ska-flavored numbers.

Paul smashed his bass that night too, so I can claim I was there, sorta.

Remember kiddies, nothing stands the pressure of the Clash City Rockers!

:) :thumbup:

racer2c
03-27-05, 12:35 AM
The famous cover photo of Paul smashing his Precison Bass was taken on Friday, September 21, 1979 at the Palladium (the old Academy of Music on 14th Street), the second of a two-night fun city stand for their "Take the Fifth" tour, supported by Sam and Dave (who were again popular thanks to the Blues Brothers' "Soul Man" cover) and the Undertones.

I went to the show the previous night, Thursday the 20th, wearing the hand painted "Brigade Rosse" tee shirt that my little sis had made me. It was a tremendous show, best I'd seen them ever - and I've never missed a tour before or since. Anyway, as I recall, they debuted several songs that would appear on London Calling on that tour, including: Wrong 'em Boyo, Clampdown, Stay Free and London Calling. Mickey Gallagher of the Blockheads joined in on organ for the newer ska-flavored numbers.

Paul smashed his bass that night too, so I can claim I was there, sorta.

Remember kiddies, nothing stands the pressure of the Clash City Rockers!

:) :thumbup:

Cool. :thumbup:

Al Czervik
03-27-05, 02:28 AM
The only band that matters!

DaveL
03-27-05, 12:41 PM
It's Montgomery Cliff!

I've been loving that album for 25 years. I'll be loving it for another 25.

One year after London Calling, the Jam released "Sound Effects". It was a good time for music :)

RTKar
03-27-05, 02:42 PM
is complete greatness.

discuss.

I'm bummed I never saw the Clash perform, although I did see Joe Strummer with the Pogues....a truly awesome show that was. I particularly love the Ska influenced stuff of the Clash. I had always hoped they'd get back together. The Clash and London Calling influenced so much of what we hear today, most notably what the skate board kids listen to and bands like Rancid and Social Distortion. Strummer kept banging away some good stuff with the Mescaleros and couple tracks of his with his group ,Joe Strummer & the Latino Rockabilly Wars on the soundtrack, "Permanent Record" are outstanding. It's such a shame he died so young.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-27-05, 08:41 PM
Wrongum Boyo

Spicoli
03-27-05, 09:21 PM
is complete greatness.

discuss.

well, duh. :gomer:

Cam
03-27-05, 10:01 PM
Best.... Album..... EVAR!!! :D

Ankf00
03-27-05, 10:23 PM
well, duh. :gomer:

hrm, took almost 24 hours for the first thread ****ter, might be an OC record :D

also, i said discuss, beatch. SO DISCUSS!!!!

:D

Spicoli
03-27-05, 10:29 PM
hrm, took almost 24 hours for the first thread ****ter, might be an OC record :D

also, i said discuss, beatch. SO DISCUSS!!!!

OK, I bought that album the DAY it came out in the US. Yes, *vinyl*, wee one.

I was a punk. skatepunk, skipunk, punk music listening, had a mohawk punk. Dated a preppy chick with a 5 series Beamer, just to mind**** everyone. She was rich as hell, and I'd make her spend lots of money on me, and then i would have wild sex with her. She was a very bad girl, once she got her preppy clothes off. We used to drive up to her parents mansion in Vail every weekend, and we'd have punk rock parties and piss off the billionaire neighbors.

you ever listen to the Buzzcocks?

Ankf00
03-27-05, 11:15 PM
they rock, but I always preferred sex pistols.

on an unrelated note: although Dallas is growing on me now that I've found some cool laid-back pubs (not that that fact keeps out the shiny shirts), one of the major upsides living where I do has to be the chances of meeting a sugarmomma. retired by 25? I like that idea :D

lone_groover
03-27-05, 11:34 PM
OK, I bought that album the DAY it came out in the US. Yes, *vinyl*, wee one.

you ever listen to the Buzzcocks?

Pete Shelley kissed me on the cheek in 1980.

No kidding. Nothing freaky, though.

Your groover don't play that!

:)

Michaelhatesfans
03-28-05, 12:52 AM
is complete greatness.

discuss.
The only song that has ever made me feel a tremendous need to throw a brick through a window. Good music should move you. This one grabbed me by the nads and gave me a good shake.
:thumbup:
RIP, Joe

Spicoli
03-28-05, 05:39 AM
Pete Shelley kissed me on the cheek in 1980.

No kidding. Nothing freaky, though.

Your groover don't play that!

The Buzzcocks, do, indeed, rock.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-28-05, 11:07 AM
The Buzzcocks, do, indeed, rock.
:thumbup:Saw the 'cocks open for Pearl Jam. Great show and I loved waxing nostalgic when they were on.

"London Calling" is certainly one of the greats and an essential for any collection and yes, I have it but IMO it's not the greatest CD/LP of all time.

oddlycalm
03-28-05, 06:00 PM
"London Calling" always has me thinking about a lot of different stuff, most of it tied to that place in time. Amazing how much their music evolved in relatively a short period of time. Hard to imagine a band this blatantly political would get quite the same reception today.

Also, wondering if the Legacy Edition will ship with coupons for Grecian-Formula for those fans with mohawks beginning to take on a more salt and pepper look... ;)

oc

Spicoli
03-28-05, 08:21 PM
...........those fans with mohawks beginning to take on a more salt and pepper look... ;)

oc

You talkin to ME?
:saywhat:

:rofl: I can still act young you know...

Michaelhatesfans
03-28-05, 08:28 PM
Hard to imagine a band this blatantly political would get quite the same reception today.
Are you kidding? People today can't handle a political stance from the freaking Dixie Chicks. :shakehead

cart7
03-28-05, 08:32 PM
I remember when it came out. Very cutting edge and it was the "in" thing to be listening to. I still listen to some select songs and they still sound relevant today which to me, is always the test of a good song.

oddlycalm
03-28-05, 10:51 PM
You talkin to ME?
:saywhat:

:rofl: I can still act young you know... Nah, just reflecting on styles of times gone by, but if the mohawk fits.... Just let me find my bellbottom jeans and snap-on pony tail and I'll hobble along with you. :o :D

oc

Spicoli
03-28-05, 11:20 PM
Nah, just reflecting on styles of times gone by, but if the mohawk fits.... Just let me find my bellbottom jeans and snap-on pony tail and I'll hobble along with you. :o :D

oc

I had an earring, but never a mullet.

Al Czervik
03-28-05, 11:27 PM
Are you kidding? People today can't handle a political stance from the freaking Dixie Chicks. :shakehead

"Conservatives suck" is not a political stance. Explaining why you are a liberal (or conservative, or whatever) and championing a cause is a political stance.

There is a difference.

anait
03-29-05, 01:01 AM
:o

I have never listened to anything from London Calling, unless maybe by accident, and I wouldn't have known it.

100 lashes with a wet noodle? I promise I'll pick it up if I see it!! :cool:

racer2c
03-29-05, 01:04 AM
:o

I have never listened to anything from London Calling, unless maybe by accident, and I wouldn't have known it.

100 lashes with a wet noodle? I promise I'll pick it up if I see it!! :cool:

Please report to my house for your lashings. (and bring beer.) :)

anait
03-29-05, 01:33 AM
Please report to my house for your lashings. (and bring beer.) :)

:p

K, I ebay.ca'd for the album, got three pages of music and memorabilia... (cufflinks, anyone??) Would one of these remastered CDs be a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4712991140&rd=1

Michaelhatesfans
03-29-05, 01:40 AM
"Conservatives suck" is not a political stance. Explaining why you are a liberal (or conservative, or whatever) and championing a cause is a political stance.

There is a difference.
I think you're being a bit too defensive, but ok, let's not call it a stance, let's just say that they had an opinion. As a result of having the audacity to have an opinion of their very own, fans, radio stations, stores, and venues blacklisted them. Even though, to my knowledge, their songs themselves are not political. I mean I could be wrong - I'm not a fan of the Dixie Chicks, but they don't look very dangerous, threatening, or even that deep (ok, in fairness, I've never heard them, but they're called The Dixie Chicks for crying out loud, so I think that I can safely say that they're probably not my cup of tea). The point is there's a real backlash about having any opinion at all these days, from one side or the other.

Spicoli
03-29-05, 08:11 AM
:p

K, I ebay.ca'd for the album, got three pages of music and memorabilia... (cufflinks, anyone??) Would one of these remastered CDs be a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4712991140&rd=1

Yes. Just buy it.

chop456
03-29-05, 08:19 AM
I'm not a fan of the Dixie Chicks, but they don't look very dangerous, threatening, or even that deep

You might see things differently if the one sat on you.

Warlock!
03-29-05, 08:45 AM
Never could get into the clash... or hardly any other punk stuff. Occasional Sex Pistols, but that was about it. Not thick, technical, or dark enuf for my taste.

And I think I have a Steely Dan album somewhere... :D

KaBoom21
03-29-05, 12:02 PM
I love this rekkid in a way no woman could ever understand. :eek:

anait
03-29-05, 12:11 PM
And I think I have a Steely Dan album somewhere... :D

'lock, now I'll always think of you when I listen to 'Hey Nineteen'... ;)

Yes. Just buy it.

:thumbup: I look forward to it. My favourite singer/songwriter, Steve Taylor, cites The Clash as one of his most important influences:

"When I picked up the Clash's 'London Calling' it all finally made sense. Musically, that album saved my life. It had raw passion, it had lyrics that were a slap across the face..."

Spicoli
03-29-05, 12:26 PM
'lock, now I'll always think of you when I listen to 'Hey Nineteen'... ;)

:thumbup: I look forward to it. My favourite singer/songwriter, Steve Taylor, cites The Clash as one of his most important influences:

"When I picked up the Clash's 'London Calling' it all finally made sense. Musically, that album saved my life. It had raw passion, it had lyrics that were a slap across the face..."

You get into that, and I can rec alot more for you.

lone_groover
03-29-05, 12:31 PM
While you're at it, pick up SANDINISTA! as well.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-29-05, 12:39 PM
While you're at it, pick up SANDINISTA! as well.

:)No thanks, a three LP release that wasn't a greatest hits or best of package was certainly a rarity, but I've heard it and didn't like enough of it to add to my collection.

lone_groover
03-29-05, 12:44 PM
I guess you could see it as the CLASH's SMILE or SGT. PEPPER or FOREVER CHANGES.

For true believers.

RacinM3
03-29-05, 01:16 PM
Every song on London Calling is good. I don't have any other albums that I know of that can qualify for that (maybe U2's Joshua Tree).

I saw the Clash, back in 1982 I think, when they were opening for The Who. It was a huge show at the Coliseum in LA, and whether it was the infighting in the band (I believe the show was right before the breakup) or just the fact that the acoustics in an arena like that suck, but they just didn't sound good. I was disappointed because I really went to see them more than The Who.

I always wished I'd seen them in a much smaller venue, and earlier in their career.