PDA

View Full Version : NASCAR series for Mosport in 2006

TorontoWorker
03-26-05, 12:02 AM
Which series? No one is quite sure - but at this point NASCAR has been to the track already and are coming back in a few weeks for another look.
Montreal appears to be dead. The writing was on the wall when NASCAR opened an office in Toronto last fall; officals attended the Molson Indy in Toronto to watch the CASCAR guys race and then bought CASCAR! Quebec is NOT a hotbed of this type of racing. Southern Ontario is the largest market for NASCAR in Canada. 6-8 million people live a 2hour drive from Mosport. I'm betting Busch or trucks. Unless Nextel decide to enter the Canadian cell phone market I can't see the marketing reasons to bring the big guys up here - unless... Hmmm.... better buy stock in that cell phone company that looks like its ready for a buyout!

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_Story.asp?ID=119379
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/03/24/971112-sun.html

FRANKY
03-26-05, 03:09 AM
Slowly closing in.

cart7
03-26-05, 08:41 AM
I'm suddenly feeling a tightness in my chest, difficulty breathing.......

TorontoWorker
03-26-05, 02:39 PM
My thinking is I could careless about their racing. All I care about is the fact that it will bring in lots of cash that the track can use for upgrades such as better runoff areas, new grandstands (we have none) perhaps the last of the armco can be replaced with cement walls (we're 75% there now) and maybe a better tower/race control building. The fact that we will get 100000 (my guess) NASCAR fans is.... distasteful I know, but they will pay for these upgrades so that all my regional racing friends will have better facilities as a result.

I'm not worried about where the fans will come from as I estimate that 40% of the NASCAR fans at the Glen were from Canada. With a race close by, all those thousands of GM workers (40km away) and their families will show up as well as FORD workers about an hour and a half away. Even if it is only Busch... the average NASCAR fan knows that if they make it an overwhelming success that this will increase the chances that the NEXTEL series will be added in the future.

I have already heard the name of a major corp mentioned as a event sponser but I can't confirm it as factual so I won't spread rumers. I still don't see the reasons why NEXTEL would support a race up here as well as the fact that some event in the US would have to be dropped unless it would be a straight swap between the Glen to Mosport. Is Sears Point to be dropped?

As I said - if it means we can rebuild corner 5 (Moss corner) to allow more runoff because of the taxi cabs coming up then I'm all for it. You only have to stand at the flagging postion at corner 5 and watch an ALMS Audi come into this corner to understand what would happen if the brakes were to fail.

Sean O'Gorman
03-26-05, 03:40 PM
Just think of the advantage that NASCAR will have in Canada by running races on tracks such as Mosport that can be used all during the race season and by having a handful of Canadian short tracks to build up a grassroots fanbase with, rather than being an event that the fans only go to once a year filled with drivers that the fans have absolutely no connection to...

Methanolandbrats
03-26-05, 06:04 PM
It was my understanding you can't run a successful race in the middle of nowhere.

racer2c
03-26-05, 08:16 PM
Just think of the advantage that NASCAR will have in Canada by running races on tracks such as Mosport that can be used all during the race season and by having a handful of Canadian short tracks to build up a grassroots fanbase with, rather than being an event that the fans only go to once a year filled with drivers that the fans have absolutely no connection to...

You should start a Carl Edwards fan site! :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
03-26-05, 08:29 PM
And you could start a fan site for...what drivers are from China again?

I'd really like for you to point out to me just one successful sport that does not revolve around the personalities involved.

redmist
03-26-05, 08:42 PM

I'd really like for you to point out to me just one successful sport that does not revolve around the personalities involved.

f-1

racer2c
03-26-05, 08:59 PM

You just got on the bad side all of the Chinese drivers who lurk here. :shakehead

Your insinuation harkens back to the old issue of "is it the stars or the cars?" NASCAR discovered and established their immense success on their driver 'personalities'. Historically, formula racing has been more about the cars than the drivers even though it has had it's share of super stars. Did F1 survive the death of Senna? Will it survive the retirement of Shumey? Of course. Even sports cars fit that description. Some of the biggest NFL stars only lasted a few short years, (unlike NASCAR where drivers can mysteriously stay in a car for two or more decades) and yet football still manages to be the biggest thing around.

JT265
03-26-05, 09:11 PM
R2C, remember that arguing with SeanO is like talking to a stump and you'll be okay. :D

BTW- SeanO, in the midst of your perpetual D&G, offer me up some quick insight as to how you'd turn your Ohiocentric views on OW around.

TorontoWorker
03-26-05, 10:32 PM
It was my understanding you can't run a successful race in the middle of nowhere.

That would be Indy right? :rofl:

pferrf1
03-27-05, 01:56 AM
The only benefit to come from this is a significant upgrading at Mosport for me to enjoy during ALMS weekends.

JohnnyQ
03-27-05, 01:38 PM

Exactly. IMO this point can't be argued.

Methanolandbrats
03-27-05, 02:13 PM

I'd really like for you to point out to me just one successful sport that does not revolve around the personalities involved. Depends on where the fans live. I watch World Cup Soccer and the Mexican Futball League or whatever it's called. I love the game and watch lots of matches and I don't know who a single player is. In the case of Univision and the Mexican games, I don't speak Spanish, so I don't even know what they're saying....except for "GOL, GOL, GOL, GOL......." :D

B Real
03-27-05, 09:36 PM
officals attended the Molson Indy in Toronto to watch the CASCAR guys race and then bought CASCAR!
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_Story.asp?ID=119379
http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/03/24/971112-sun.html

NASCAR does not own CASCAR. They have a marketing agreement and nothing more.

racer2c
03-28-05, 01:01 AM
Exactly. IMO this point can't be argued.

Care to explain?

Sean O'Gorman
03-28-05, 01:11 AM
Care to explain?

Ok, here is an example. What is more legendary? Senna, or Senna's McLaren?

Sure the cars play a part in F1 (especially the Ferrari name), but just like every other successful sport, it is about the participants.

Put Sam Hornish in Schumacher's car and tell me how much more important the car is vs. the driver.

The only sport where the equipment are more important than the athletes that I can think of is ALMS, which is a commercial failure because nobody but a few thousand hardcores care about the cars when there is no emphasis on the drivers or the racing. A real shame too, I always figured sports car racing has the advantage in that it can promote a team aspect in having 2-3 drivers per car.

racer2c
03-28-05, 01:31 AM
Ok, here is an example. What is more legendary? Senna, or Senna's McLaren?

Sure the cars play a part in F1 (especially the Ferrari name), but just like every other successful sport, it is about the participants.

Put Sam Hornish in Schumacher's car and tell me how much more important the car is vs. the driver.

The only sport where the equipment are more important than the athletes that I can think of is ALMS, which is a commercial failure because nobody but a few thousand hardcores care about the cars when there is no emphasis on the drivers or the racing. A real shame too, I always figured sports car racing has the advantage in that it can promote a team aspect in having 2-3 drivers per car.

You moved from generalities of sport entities to specifics of driver/car. And again I disagree. It's the cars. It's the cars. It's the cars. From the origins of auto racing it was always about the car. Stars come and go and if it were only about the drivers, then F1 would have ceased to exist after Fangio, NASCAR would have disappeared after Earnhardt, Champ Car would have vanished after Zanardi. But they haven't. Why? Because people go to watch race cars. If it was only about the drivers, we could put them in Shriner go-karts and make them do figure eights and all would be perfect in the world.
Astronauts are incredibly brave and heroic people, but it’s the rockets that we all watch.
And my question was to the new guy.

Sean O'Gorman
03-28-05, 10:29 AM
Stars come and go and if it were only about the drivers, then F1 would have ceased to exist after Fangio, NASCAR would have disappeared after Earnhardt, Champ Car would have vanished after Zanardi. But they haven't. Why? Because people go to watch race cars. If it was only about the drivers, we could put them in Shriner go-karts and make them do figure eights and all would be perfect in the world.

That is the worst logic I have ever heard.

So, did all the massive throngs of fans who came to CART races to see the Reynards race all leave when it became a series full of Lolas? That makes about as much sense as what you are saying.

racer2c
03-28-05, 11:22 AM
That is the worst logic I have ever heard.

So, did all the massive throngs of fans who came to CART races to see the Reynards race all leave when it became a series full of Lolas? That makes about as much sense as what you are saying.

Stay in school.

JohnnyQ
03-28-05, 12:32 PM
Care to explain?

First off your comparasin to NASA's rockets is way off. Last I checked space travel isn't a sport.
The key word is name a SUCCESSFUL sport that requires no personalities? There aren't any. The cars, series and teams are secondary in motorsport.

The sports that struggle are struggling due to lack of likable personalities people can associate with. Unfortunatley the two sports that suck at it are my favorite sports (OW racing and Hockey). Hence poor fan base.

The bigger question is can we really call Motorsports a sport when approx. 95 % of the participants have purchased there positions throughout there career? But that another can of worms.... :saywhat:

racer2c
03-28-05, 01:21 PM
First off your comparasin to NASA's rockets is way off. Last I checked space travel isn't a sport.
The key word is name a SUCCESSFUL sport that requires no personalities? There aren't any. The cars, series and teams are secondary in motorsport.

The sports that struggle are struggling due to lack of likable personalities people can associate with. Unfortunatley the two sports that suck at it are my favorite sports (OW racing and Hockey). Hence poor fan base.

The bigger question is can we really call Motorsports a sport when approx. 95 % of the participants have purchased there positions throughout there career? But that another can of worms.... :saywhat:

What does "...lack of likable personalities people can associate with..." mean?

JohnnyQ
03-28-05, 01:26 PM
What does "...lack of likable personalities people can associate with..." mean?

Rich ferners :gomer:

TorontoWorker
03-28-05, 02:20 PM
NASCAR does not own CASCAR. They have a marketing agreement and nothing more.

Right....:shakehead

So you bought that huh? :rofl:

I met Tony at Mosport last year during the CASCAR weekend when he was trying to recover from the ISA Bull S**** from the year before. He was just hanging on then, what with drivers ready to move on or retire. He was trying to put deals together and he was always on the phone and frazzled. Flash forward a month later to July's Toronto Molson Indy and he was huddled up in the CASCAR trailer all weekend with Nascar officals and TSN people. Little did we know... He looked a lot happier then people had seen him for a long time.

So far the inside buzz is that at this point it is a *partnership* not marketing for 2005. 2006 is the key year - This is the year that an *option* clause can come into effect. Bell GlobeMedia Inc. has some form of option/agreement with Nascar as well and this is linked to CASCAR becoming NASCAR Canada. Tony cannot talk publicly about ownership issues but he has talked to team owners in private. Funny how a crew chief I know (His wife works in my office) told me, "The futures so bright I gotta wear shades" when I asked him how the 2005 season looks. And this wasn't because of any puny amount of money they may or may not get with CarQuest or any other company.

B Real
03-28-05, 06:08 PM
Right....:shakehead

So you bought that huh? :rofl:

I met Tony at Mosport last year during the CASCAR weekend when he was trying to recover from the ISA Bull S**** from the year before. He was just hanging on then, what with drivers ready to move on or retire. He was trying to put deals together and he was always on the phone and frazzled. Flash forward a month later to July's Toronto Molson Indy and he was huddled up in the CASCAR trailer all weekend with Nascar officals and TSN people. Little did we know... He looked a lot happier then people had seen him for a long time.

So far the inside buzz is that at this point it is a *partnership* not marketing for 2005. 2006 is the key year - This is the year that an *option* clause can come into effect. Bell GlobeMedia Inc. has some form of option/agreement with Nascar as well and this is linked to CASCAR becoming NASCAR Canada. Tony cannot talk publicly about ownership issues but he has talked to team owners in private. Funny how a crew chief I know (His wife works in my office) told me, "The futures so bright I gotta wear shades" when I asked him how the 2005 season looks. And this wasn't because of any puny amount of money they may or may not get with CarQuest or any other company.

I didn't say that it wouldn't happen or wasn't imminent. It just hasn't happened yet. All the money has to change hands, lawyers involved, papers signed,etc. I don't think all that has occured yet. There will be a huge press release when it does.

TorontoWorker
03-28-05, 09:14 PM
I didn't say that it wouldn't happen or wasn't imminent. It just hasn't happened yet. All the money has to change hands, lawyers involved, papers signed,etc. I don't think all that has occured yet. There will be a huge press release when it does.

As with all private groups, they don't have to release anything until they are ready. I'm sure there is a big stack of paper somewhere. No one moves money around without it. BellGlobe Media have big plans I hear and NASCAR are very happy about the possible tie ins across this company. From internet, sports TV, National TV, newspapers, radio they seem to have every base covered in order to ram this down the publics throat. A truck race, Busch or even NEXTEL race held in Canada next year is key to this whole deal.

I guess we have another series that gets to hit our world famous mega sized groundhogs as well. Better then when my friend hit one in his 87 Euroswift FF. Man - what a mess! He had to buy a new drivers suit... :eek:

Racing Truth
03-28-05, 09:19 PM
You moved from generalities of sport entities to specifics of driver/car. And again I disagree. It's the cars. It's the cars. It's the cars. From the origins of auto racing it was always about the car. Stars come and go and if it were only about the drivers, then F1 would have ceased to exist after Fangio, NASCAR would have disappeared after Earnhardt, Champ Car would have vanished after Zanardi. But they haven't. Why? Because people go to watch race cars. If it was only about the drivers, we could put them in Shriner go-karts and make them do figure eights and all would be perfect in the world.
Astronauts are incredibly brave and heroic people, but it’s the rockets that we all watch.
And my question was to the new guy.

Define "we." If by "we" you mean Americans, then that's just not accurate. The rest of the world? Perhaps.

If it was all about the cars, we could put chimps in them, and drive them by computer.

Steve99
03-29-05, 06:59 PM
My thinking is I could careless about their racing. All I care about is the fact that it will bring in lots of cash that the track can use for upgrades such as better runoff areas, new grandstands (we have none) perhaps the last of the armco can be replaced with cement walls (we're 75% there now) and maybe a better tower/race control building. The fact that we will get 100000 (my guess) NASCAR fans is.... distasteful I know, but they will pay for these upgrades so that all my regional racing friends will have better facilities as a result.
I don't know much about the track layout, but hopefully they don't NASCAR'ize it like they did to Sears Point.

racer2c
03-29-05, 07:03 PM
Define "we." If by "we" you mean Americans, then that's just not accurate. The rest of the world? Perhaps.

If it was all about the cars, we could put chimps in them, and drive them by computer.

Forget the computer, a chimp in an F1 car is worth every dime of admission!

So which NASCAR driver jacket do you wear?

Racing Truth
03-29-05, 07:17 PM
Forget the computer, a chimp in an F1 car is worth every dime of admission!

So which NASCAR driver jacket do you wear?

Touche, but the point remains.

None, to answer, but I don't have any pimping Ford, Chebby, or Dodge either.

Fine, put nothing in the car, and have it driven via computer. Think people will give a damn?

TorontoWorker
03-29-05, 11:51 PM
I don't know much about the track layout, but hopefully they don't NASCAR'ize it like they did to Sears Point.

http://www.mosport.com/graphics/trackmap.gif

What this map does not show are the elevation changes:

From the top of 2 to the bottom of 2(2A): -70 feet.

From the top of 4 to the bottom of 4: -53 feet.

From the bottom of 4 to 5: +35 feet, but that happens in 284 feet of horizontal distance, which gives a 12.3% grade.

From 5C to 6: +60 feet.

From 6 to 7: +45 feet.

From 10 to the bottom of 1: -50 feet.

extramundane
03-30-05, 12:04 AM

Considering who owns Mosport, I don't think it'll get chopped up just for NASCAR's sake. For that matter, I'm still skeptical that a NASCAR series will race Mosport at all under present ownership...

Sean O'Gorman
03-30-05, 12:22 AM
Considering who owns Mosport, I don't think it'll get chopped up just for NASCAR's sake. For that matter, I'm still skeptical that a NASCAR series will race Mosport at all under present ownership...

You would think that, but Grand-Am Cup runs at Mosport so I guess that could open the door for NASCAR as well.

The Doctor
03-30-05, 12:26 AM

I don't think Panoz will turn down a big check. And all that prestige, too.

extramundane
03-30-05, 12:45 AM
You would think that, but Grand-Am Cup runs at Mosport so I guess that could open the door for NASCAR as well.

I'm not saying he won't host a NASCAR event (money is money, and I'm sure he gets a special thrill from cashing a France Family check), but I don't think you'll see Panoz bend over backwards to accomodate NASCAR (a la Mexico City).