PDA

View Full Version : The word "Spoiler"...please use it!

JohnHKart
03-24-05, 08:49 PM
The folks here that post in the F1 Forum graciously use the word spoiler, rather than spoil race results. Not everybody watches races live, I tend to watch them throughout the week. I should not have clicked on the Other Racing Forum on Sunday, but I did and the Cup race was ruined for me thanks to the Carl Edwards Nice Win thread, which I saw but didn't click on. It's partially my fault normally I avoid the forum totally if I have a race to watch, but still can we have some courtesy. Thanks,

John

racer2c
03-24-05, 09:07 PM
I feel your pain, but shouldn't the rule of thumb be that if a race is braodcast on a tape delay and someone posts something about it after listening to it on the radio or internet then a spoiler alert is valid. But if the race is over and someone posts the results, then the onus is on the person who taped the race to stay away from the board if they are waiting to watch their taped version. I did that this past weekend when I couldn't keep my eyes open for the F1 race so I waited until the replay the next day. I knew to keep away from the board or else it would have been ruined.

rabbit
03-24-05, 09:16 PM
I feel your pain, but shouldn't the rule of thumb be that if a race is braodcast on a tape delay and someone posts something about it after listening to it on the radio or internet then a spoiler alert is valid. But if the race is over and someone posts the results, then the onus is on the person who taped the race to stay away from the board if they are waiting to watch their taped version. I did that this past weekend when I couldn't keep my eyes open for the F1 race so I waited until the replay the next day. I knew to keep away from the board or else it would have been ruined.Yup. Once it has been broadcast, all bets are off.

Michaelhatesfans
03-24-05, 09:35 PM
I'm with John on the thread titles. It's easy enough to avoid the F1 forum, but if it's in the thread title it may just pop up on the home page as the most recent thread. Then you're screwed. It's not too hard to use "Malaysian GP" instead of "Montoya Does It!!!" My two cents.

Ok, yeah, I generally avoid these sites altogether if I'm taping something, but it's really not necessary to give away a result in a thread title, either.

rabbit
03-24-05, 09:40 PM
It's easy enough to avoid the F1 forum, but if it's in the thread title it may just pop up on the home page as the most recent thread. Then you're screwed. It's not too hard to use "Malaysian GP" instead of "Montoya Does It!!!" My two cents.

Ok, yeah, I generally avoid these sites altogether if I'm taping something, but it's really not necessary to give away a result in a thread title, either.True enough. But when it's your favorite driver or an unexpected result, people will naturally get a little excited and post a "WOOOOHOOOO!!! Hornish wins!!!" ;) or something like that without realizing that a handful of people haven't seen it yet. And once a thread has been started, you can't change the title.

It's not that hard to just stay away from the forums for a few hours or so.

devilmaster
03-24-05, 09:46 PM
people will naturally get a little excited and post a "WOOOOHOOOO!!! Hornish wins!!!"

Ever since you wrote that 'article' about me last year, I knew you were a :gomer:.... ;) :p

fourrunner
03-24-05, 09:55 PM
Doesn't bother me

I like the "Columbo" approach .... Where you see who did it at the start of the show ... now you get to watch how Columbo gets to the solution! :)

Opposite Lock
03-24-05, 09:56 PM
all good points about general Spoiler titles, but sheesh - it was just a Cup race. :rolleyes:

Michaelhatesfans
03-25-05, 04:27 AM
all good points about general Spoiler titles, but sheesh - it was just a Cup race. :rolleyes:
Oh, you can use whatever title you want on a NASCAR thread, I don't seem to know who half the drivers are anyway! :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
03-25-05, 05:21 AM
It's not too hard to use "Malaysian GP" instead of "Montoya Does It!!!" My two cents.Yeah but it's not like the latter happens often nowdays. :laugh:

JohnHKart
03-25-05, 06:58 AM

Yup and that's the point.....sitting through all those hours, one of the things that keeps my interest is not knowing who won.

John

Railbird
03-25-05, 08:35 AM
Delayed broadcast should always be protected for all.

Personal viewing habits should be protect by the person doing the viewing.

JohnnyQ
03-25-05, 09:35 AM
I know when I TIVO a race I stay off the internet until after I watch the race. It's called taking personal responsibility.

Warlock!
03-25-05, 10:26 AM
I like it when people go to racing forums and find results about races they don't wanna know the results to. I think that's funny.

Not funny "strange", but funny "ha-ha".

Well, maybe funny "strange", too.

I live in a very small town. After the noon news on the radio, they'll go thru the obituaries. They should announce a spoiler before they read them, too, cause when I get home and read the paper, it's not nearly as eggsiting reading thru the obits when you already know the results. That's not really funny at all, "strange" or "ha-ha".

Well, maybe funny "strange"...

Railbird
03-25-05, 11:58 AM
After the noon news on the radio, they'll go thru the obituaries.

Where in the hell do you live 'lock?

Freakin Mayberry?

Does this radio station break in with an update when Aunt B makes a cobbler?

rabbit
03-25-05, 12:03 PM

Freakin Mayberry?

:rofl:

Warlock!
03-25-05, 12:26 PM
Hometown and workplace... http://www.napoleonohio.com/

My mailing address is Malinta (http://www.city-data.com/city/Malinta-Ohio.html)... I don't live in town cause I can't stand the city-life. :D

It's actaully a bit more hick than Mayberry, I believe. The Napoleon newspaper actually has a section where readers can send in what they did over the weekend...

"Our son was in town visiting for the weekend. We had supper at Peppermills restaurant and then watched a movie at home..."

Seriously. No ****.

nrc
03-25-05, 12:39 PM
It's actaully a bit more hick than Mayberry, I believe. The Napoleon newspaper actually has a section where readers can send in what they did over the weekend...

Ever contribute? :)

Methanolandbrats
03-25-05, 12:54 PM
The Malinta link is interesting..............Planning a vacation? :rofl:

Warlock!
03-25-05, 01:53 PM
Ever contribute? :)
Yeah, but they never use mine for some reason. :confused:

rabbit
03-25-05, 02:08 PM
Huh, go figure.

racer2c
03-25-05, 02:34 PM
My grandfather lived in a tiny little farm town in central Ohio called Homeworth. I think there was like 500 people. Very quaint though. Even though he moved to the Big Apple to make his life, he reminisced about Homeworth until the day he died. His father established an association for the preservation of covered bridges and I remember visiting many of those bridges in Ohio. That's something we don't have here in Virginia.

JT265
03-25-05, 02:39 PM

Clean it up some Matty. Write something like....

"Warlock! decided to walk the dog a couple of times after watching a particularly interesting movie this afternoon."

Betcha that could get printed.

:rofl:

Railbird
03-25-05, 04:31 PM
My favorite 'lock/burg story came after Earnhardt bit it.

As Cup fans nation wide made their pilgrimages to racetracks and racing museums in their area to gather and grieve while delivering flowers and mementos of their hero, a Coke machine in Malinta adorned with Big E's image became the drop off point for the local slackjaws.

Sean O'Gorman
03-25-05, 05:22 PM

Try not starting the letter with "Dear Penthouse Letters..." :D

Hot Rod Otis
03-25-05, 05:54 PM
Freakin Mayberry?

What the hell is wrong with livin' in freakin Mayberry? :saywhat:

:gomer: