PDA

View Full Version : Car Count

darrylkropp
03-24-05, 12:51 PM
I haven't seen a car count thread for a while. What is the latest tally? Thirteen at Sebring + 2 NH + 2 Jensen = 17?

Ed_Severson
03-24-05, 01:09 PM
I might be missing something, but here's what I know:

Bourdais and Junqueira at Newman/Haas
Vasser and da Matta at PKV
Philippe and Ranger at Conquest
Allmendinger and Wilson at RuSport
Tagliani and Marshall at Walker
Tracy at Forsythe
Hunter-Reay at Rocketsports
Dominguez at HVM

That's 13 solid entries. Aside from those, we still have second entries from Forsythe (rumored to be Wirdheim), Rocketsports (Glock), HVM (Verstappen/Gonzalez), as well as two potential entries from Coyne (likely to be Servia and Mazzacane, last I heard), and one from Jensen (possibly Valiante).

It should be noted, though, that Lavin tested yesterday in Sebring with Forsythe, so maybe rumors of his demise are overblown. Wirdheim tested with Coyne and Mazzacane was nowhere to be found. Either way, though, that still gives us 2 cars at Coyne, and 19 on the grid in two weeks.

NismoZ
03-24-05, 01:34 PM
Well put...but I think even 19 might be conservative. Ronnie Bremer is already saying he's 99% certain he'll be on the grid at Long Beach. He impressed yesterday at Sebring. Then there's still Gonzalez, he tests today also. Bourdais is already down to 51.1 this morning with Ranger doing 51.6s. My guess is Mazzacane will appear at a South American round 1, NEXT season! (and didn't Forsythe say he'd run more if he had the sponsorship?) It's late, but people are still knocking on ChampCar's door!

FRANKY
03-25-05, 11:47 AM
Dominguez at HVM

Evidently not anymore.

http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~28780~2780728,00.html#

Ed_Severson
03-25-05, 12:11 PM
Sometimes we have to lie a little bit. ;)

You'll never hear me claim to be as connected as some of our more famous prognosticators, but I do have an "in" at HVM. I heard about this a few days ago, but I think I might have been shot if I let it out.

I hadn't heard, though, that Dominguez may end up elsewhere -- just that he wasn't solid at HVM because Champ Car was running the show. I'd like to think it's in everyone's best interests to keep Mario there, but as long as he ends up with a competitive ride, you won't hear me complain. He's not F1 material for sure, but the series is better of with him than without at this point.

Nonetheless, it seems pretty much a certainty that HVM will be running two cars, so I think we're headed for 19 entries.

DjDrOmusic
03-25-05, 12:35 PM
The guy who wrote the Press-Telegram story about HVM, is very biased toward the IRL, and would like nothing better than to see Tony's circus running in Long Beach. It's bad news for HVM but even worse for MD who basically torpedoed his ride by putting out all the Mario to F1 stories!

Ed_Severson
03-25-05, 12:54 PM
The guy who wrote the Press-Telegram story about HVM, is very biased toward the IRL

That may be, but the only thing in the article that isn't true is the idea that the car count dropped to 12. The number of confirmed drivers dropped to twelve; the car count has not changed at all.

And I don't necessarily think Mario has done himself any harm. It's a simple contractual matter -- his contract was with HVM, but they aren't in control of who sits in the seats any longer.

I doubt Champ Car has any intention of leaving him out in the cold altogether. In fact, the article makes it sound as if he's likely to end up replacing Lavin at Forsythe, which would be a big improvement for Forsythe. I think they're just testing drivers at HVM to see if there are enough drivers in the running to give HVM two decent pilots while dumping Lavin at the same time.

Mario not having any money, though, presents the biggest obstacle to him staying at HVM. My gut tells me that if Lavin's Corona money has dried up, Dominguez goes to Forsythe, Verstappen and Gonzalez bring their funds to HVM, and we have a Rudy-less 2005. If Lavin still has Corona pesos, he's probably in at the expense of either Verstappen or Gonzalez, depending on who brings the most money (and who does it quickest).

NismoZ
03-25-05, 01:36 PM
Don't leave Bremer out of the equation...he made himself pretty popular this past week, and can't he bring something ($) as well? If HVM had to rely on only Dominguez funding, they'd be out. But it's Mario who may be out. The more funding the Europeans can bring to the team the less CC will have to shell out. Is that right? Now, watch someone paint this as ChampCar "losing" another Mexican. Hope he can hook up, if NOT with HVM, but I do think all that "I'm off to F-1" talk hurt his chances of landing a money deal for this season. Conservatively speaking how many teams and drivers can owe their existence right now simply to CC largess!?

FRANKY
03-25-05, 02:06 PM
Conservatively speaking how many teams and drivers can owe their existence right now simply to CC largess!?

I hate to even go down this road, I think there are a very few funded sponsor teams, more ride buying teams and CC funded teams. Just the shuffling of Tag and Mario gives an indication that ride buyers have preferential treatment, we shouldn't expect CC to get on it's feet sponsor wise in just two years. The only thing to be careful of is having the proper mix of Canadian and Mexican drivers to showcase the series in each country.

pchall
03-25-05, 02:20 PM
Nonetheless, it seems pretty much a certainty that HVM will be running two cars, so I think we're headed for 19 entries.

It's looking like it could be Verstappen and Bremmer at HVM unless a Mexican moneybags shows up. Champcar has to keep the Mexican driver count going just like they are keeping the Canadian content in our NAFTA series.

Servia and Wirdheim seem like the dynamic duo at DCR. For the first time ever, DCR may have to field TWO properly prepared champcars -- instead of one and the oil mister they have had as the second car for a couple of years.

NismoZ
03-25-05, 04:29 PM
Yeah, and CC gets a bad name because a driver like Wirdheim only runs, what, 11th out of 13 in the recent test? As we all know there are many more good drivers out there than top teams to land with. The advantage goes to those with talent AND money...or be a team part owner! ;)

Dr. Corkski
03-26-05, 05:20 AM
The guy who wrote the Press-Telegram story about HVM, is very biased toward the IRL, and would like nothing better than to see Tony's circus running in Long Beach. It's bad news for HVM but even worse for MD who basically torpedoed his ride by putting out all the Mario to F1 stories!This ain't crapwagon. :gomer:

If Dominguez goes to Forsythe it wouldn't be the first time. I am guessing Mario's at least got some personal sponsors, because Alex Snaider wouldn't last very long in F1 if he was idiotic enough to hire him on talent alone. My guess is Verstappen and Gonzalez will end up at HVM and Dominguez at Forsythe.

And Wirdheim isn't one of those guys who will blow you away with pure speed right off the bat.