PDA

View Full Version : CHINA - Its Happening

pferrf1
03-23-05, 08:46 PM
MarkC says CCWS has confirmed Beijing for 2006.

As much as everyone makes fun for MC for pushing China all the time as the panacea for CCWS - this could be huge.

Sean O'Gorman
03-23-05, 09:03 PM
:shakehead

JohnnyQ
03-23-05, 09:30 PM
MarkC says CCWS has confirmed Beijing for 2006.

As much as everyone makes fun for MC for pushing China all the time as the panacea for CCWS - this could be huge.

2006? The chinese will have a cheap knockoff series by then. There's your que TG.

racer2c
03-23-05, 09:30 PM
Hot and Spicey Twin, a cold Tsing Dao while watchin' a little Champ Car sounds good to me!

pchall
03-23-05, 09:46 PM
Gee, and along MarkC was saying the race would be in Shanghai... :p

Spicoli
03-23-05, 10:08 PM

Little Dooderooski:

Go watch GrandSham that weekend, or whatever it is that makes you happy besides girls.

This is VERY good news for CCWS. biggie help on the sponsor front.

Methanolandbrats
03-23-05, 10:19 PM
Little Dooderooski:

Go watch GrandSham that weekend, or whatever it is that makes you happy besides girls.

This is VERY good news for CCWS. biggie help on the sponsor front. WalMart Car? :)

nrc
03-23-05, 10:20 PM
TSN says so too. May or September.

http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=119356&hubName=auto_racing

Sean O'Gorman
03-23-05, 10:21 PM
Little Dooderooski:

This is VERY good news for CCWS. biggie help on the sponsor front.

Cool, I'm sure races in China and Argentina will help lots of the top talent from karting on up get sponsorship to move into Champ Cars. But who needs a strong talent development system anyway, its not like it helped NASCAR or anything...

Methanolandbrats
03-23-05, 10:35 PM
Cool, I'm sure races in China and Argentina will help lots of the top talent from karting on up get sponsorship to move into Champ Cars. But who needs a strong talent development system anyway, its not like it helped NASCAR or anything... The main factor in the rise of NASCAR is the incredible surplus of stupid people.

NismoZ
03-23-05, 10:44 PM
And a Lola/Chery by '07!? (I hope it's at that Allan Wilson designed track, anyone find that layout and post it?) Reminds me of the Autobahn Countryclub layout, only smaller...Oh, he penned that one, too!)

L1P1
03-23-05, 10:47 PM
Although I think it would be good to add China to the Pacific swing, it always worries me that we're one spy plane/Taiwanese crisis/international incident/local power play away from a cancellation.

Korea has already been cancelled once and we can only be hopeful that it won't fall through again. Apparently we don't even have a venue yet in China.

racer2c
03-23-05, 10:54 PM
Although I think it would be good to add China to the Pacific swing, it always worries me that we're one spy plane/Taiwanese crisis/international incident/local power play away from a cancellation.

Korea has already been cancelled once and we can only be hopeful that it won't fall through again. Apparently we don't even have a venue yet in China.

Valid concerns, but I like the thought of a globe trotting CCWS. O'Gorman needs to get over his dream of an Ohio only Champ Car series. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
The main factor in the rise of NASCAR is the incredible surplus of stupid people.

Of course. And Carl Edwards' win last week did nothing to create buzz amongst non-NASCAR fans, right?

Anyway, I'm not going to interfere with this thread anymore. I see no real good reason from my viewpoint for Champ Car to go to China, but apparently those in charge see otherwise. Sad to think that before long, IRL could end up being more accessable to me as an American open wheel fan. Not that i'd watch it anyway...

NismoZ
Goldenport Park, a natural terrain road course (YIPPEE!) to be extensively lengthened and improved. Maps? Beijing. :) ...course security should be no problem.

Methanolandbrats
03-23-05, 11:08 PM
Of course. And Carl Edwards' win last week did nothing to create buzz amongst non-NASCAR fans, right?

Anyway, I'm not going to interfere with this thread anymore. I see no real good reason from my viewpoint for Champ Car to go to China, but apparently those in charge see otherwise. Sad to think that before long, IRL could end up being more accessable to me as an American open wheel fan. Not that i'd watch it anyway... You should interfere, you say lots of interesting stuff. :thumbup: Edwards created a buzz among racefans who don't follow NASCAR. The IRL will be gone in a couple years and Champcar will pick up the pieces. That cycle you know :D

racer2c
03-23-05, 11:10 PM

A buzz with non NASCAR fans or non autoracing fans? No one around the water cooler at my work was talking about Edwards. But there was four or five OC members getting giddy over the "aw shucks" guy.

Fried
03-23-05, 11:15 PM
Looks like KK's vision is taking root: shed unprofitable events. attract the best on-track talent. and partner with nations/promoters/sponsors that can add value to the series.

me likey that...:thumbup:

RusH
03-23-05, 11:33 PM
This rocks!!

Confucius say:Kalkhoven is wise man, and George is monkey.
:D

nrc
03-24-05, 12:34 AM
Goldenport Park, a natural terrain road course (YIPPEE!) to be extensively lengthened and improved. Maps? Beijing. :) ...course security should be no problem.

If that's it, here's the current track. 16 turns, 2.4km/1.5mi, so in it's current form it's twisy and short. They say it's FIA approved but the run-offs look pretty small for champ car.

http://www.goldenport.com.cn/english/jggk/f3.htm
http://www.goldenport.com.cn/english/jggk/images/pic11111.jpg

nrc
03-24-05, 12:39 AM
Plus it's got a drive-in movie theater. :)

http://www.goldenport.com.cn/english/other/movin.htm

Lots of room, fresh air, free from the clamor and dirt of the city, you will enjoy the happiness of ultimate “freedom” and completely refresh yourself physically and spiritually in the utter harmony of nature and time. Having had the disturbing experience of SARS and the consequent aftermath, the entertainment that the drive-in cinema brings with it looks much more refreshing and romantic.

Spicoli
03-24-05, 12:40 AM
Valid concerns, but I like the thought of a globe trotting CCWS. O'Gorman needs to get over his dream of an Ohio only Champ Car series. :gomer:

That's ****ing Money! :)

Sorry little feller. :wave:

there are other states, and countries too! :gomer:

Methanolandbrats
03-24-05, 12:44 AM
Commie server is slow. Cool race, sounds like San Jose with sand traps.

Sean O'Gorman
03-24-05, 12:47 AM
That's ****ing Money! :)

Sorry little feller. :wave:

there are other states, and countries too! :gomer:

So how many of these new races will you be going to?

Michaelhatesfans
03-24-05, 01:02 AM

I see no real good reason from my viewpoint for Champ Car to go to China...
Who is Carl Edwards?

Why China? Cash, bubba. We're a year out of bankruptcy court, remember? KK and the boys aren't taking the circus over there to break even.

nrc
03-24-05, 01:13 AM

What has that got to do with the reasons he has given for thinking it's a good idea?

FRANKY
03-24-05, 01:21 AM
Who is Carl Edwards?

Why China? Cash, bubba. We're a year out of bankruptcy court, remember? KK and the boys aren't taking the circus over there to break even.

That's it plain and simple.

Dr. Corkski
03-24-05, 02:09 AM
If they wanted a race in China, they should have just kept the Vancouver race instead of the mulletfest in Edmonton. :gomer:

Spicoli
03-24-05, 05:57 AM

I am like zer0 - I don't go to races.

cart7
03-24-05, 06:09 AM
Look, the track has a Golden pond!

Maybe Paul and Joanna can reprise the roles of Norman and Ethel Thayer with KK as Chelsea's new husband.

Norman - "Good God what's all this damn noise, can't a man retire in peace on Golden pond. Hey, someones knocking at the door."

Ethel - "It's me you old poop. They've been building this racetrack for the last 2 years, I can't believe you forgot that already. Now go out and pick some strawberries, Chelsea's flying in for the race with a new Husband."

KK - "Before we bring our race teams over here, I'm worried about bears, are there any around here?"

Norman - "Oh, sure. Black bears and grizzlies. One came along here last month and ate an old lesbian." :laugh:

mapguy
03-24-05, 06:33 AM
If they wanted a race in China, they should have just kept the Vancouver race instead of the mulletfest in Edmonton. :gomer:

:D :thumbup:

I nominate this for post of the week.

RusH
03-24-05, 07:01 AM
I am like zer0 - I don't go to races.

....and you don`t make ***** up and post it on the innernet
:p

GOFAST1
03-24-05, 08:42 AM
The main factor in the rise of NASCAR is the incredible surplus of stupid people.

AGREE!

SurfaceUnits
03-24-05, 09:29 AM
Correction:

Confucius say:Kalkhoven is wise man, and George is (a) monkey('s ass) .
:D

JT265
03-24-05, 09:50 AM

This post should be required reading on every message board.

pferrf1
03-24-05, 09:57 AM

You never know.

I never thought I'd see the Australia race but went to Surfers last year for my honeymoon.

How many races do you go to in a year anyway? If you're like 99% of people most of your time spent watching racing is on the TV.

There are currently 12 races on the N American continent. Pick a new one you haven't been to.

pferrf1
03-24-05, 09:58 AM

Anyway, I'm not going to interfere with this thread anymore. I see no real good reason from my viewpoint for Champ Car to go to China, but apparently those in charge see otherwise. Sad to think that before long, IRL could end up being more accessable to me as an American open wheel fan. Not that i'd watch it anyway...

So a semi-rookie won? What buzz did that create?

JT265
03-24-05, 10:01 AM

In SeanOworld, quite a lot. You see, it validates his endless pimping of the GrandSham experiment. :D

KLang
03-24-05, 10:07 AM
I think this is a good thing provided a big sanctioning fee and/or some sponsorship comes out of it.

Perhaps if they can make a nice profit on a few of these we might see someplace like RoadAmerica on the schedule again in the future.

cart7
03-24-05, 10:11 AM
I don't see any camping areas. Is there no camping in China or is that space reserved for a military encampment with room to park tanks?

pferrf1
03-24-05, 10:30 AM
In SeanOworld, quite a lot. You see, it validates his endless pimping of the GrandSham experiment. :D

Grand Am? Omigod. How horrible. Daytona was a nice teaser to start the racing season - but watching Sebring on the weekend was such a shocking reminder of how bad the Daytona Prototype cars are. How much difference in lap time between a DP and say the Lola LMP2 car or an Audi R8 at Road America?

I heard from a Porsche competitior that they made the 911s increase their ride height to slow them down so the DPs would appear faster.

Methanolandbrats
03-24-05, 10:35 AM
I don't see any camping areas. Is there no camping in China or is that space reserved for a military encampment with room to park tanks? Not much camping, a huge percentage of the population can camp right in their houses.

pferrf1
03-24-05, 10:38 AM
I see Cosworth contracts with the Chinese auto industry in the future. Perhaps Indeck power generation contracts?

Michaelhatesfans
03-24-05, 11:33 AM
Seriously, who is Carl Edwards?

Methanolandbrats
03-24-05, 11:47 AM
Seriously, who is Carl Edwards? Cab driver who can drift at 180mph on corded tires.

Michaelhatesfans
03-24-05, 11:58 AM
Cab driver who can drift at 180mph on corded tires.
Ah, thanks.

I still don't think I'll be setting the VCR for the next NASCAR race, though.

Methanolandbrats
03-24-05, 12:20 PM
I think this is a good thing provided a big sanctioning fee and/or some sponsorship comes out of it.

Perhaps if they can make a nice profit on a few of these we might see someplace like RoadAmerica on the schedule again in the future. That would be nice, but I doubt it. Once Champcar gets used to cashing those big government checks for bringing their carnival to town, they will take it to every continent on Earth. Monaco for the masses.

FRANKY
03-24-05, 12:22 PM
Seriously, who is Carl Edwards?

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7009

http://www.nascar.com/2005/news/headlines/cup/03/20/cedwards_atl.ap/index.html

Michaelhatesfans
03-24-05, 12:37 PM
Thanks Franky, but the first line of that thread read,
"Passed JJ at the finish line. Awesome!"

I'm proud to say that I don't know who JJ is, either! :laugh: Ok, so now I know it's NASCRAP. That's all I need to know. :cool:

mueber
03-24-05, 01:25 PM
Very good news.

Open wheel NASCAR was tried by someone else. It didn’t work. So let’s let the silly buy American thingy die—please.

A race doesn’t have to be in my backyard to be valid. I never went to the race at Portland, doesn’t mean they should not have run there.

Right now the criterium for hosting an event has to be the entity’s willingness and ability to pay the bills and help promote the event. Sean's strategy is suicide.

Racing Truth
03-24-05, 02:31 PM

Must feel good to be that elitist.

"Open-Wheel racing: Where we're too good for millions of fans."

Racing Truth
03-24-05, 02:42 PM
To further clarify, talent is actually rewarded in NASCAR. I'm seeing better signs from CCWS, but for every Ranger, you have a Lavin.

Yeah, a lot of it is also marketing.

CC/IRL: "Marketing? WTF?"

Methanolandbrats
03-24-05, 02:49 PM

Must feel good to be that elitist.

"Open-Wheel racing: Where we're too good for millions of fans."Elitist huh? I guess all those chickenbone and beer can chucking, F you Gordon you fag, beer bellied, schlong sporting, chain smoking lowlifes I sat with at Darlington, Martinsville, Rockingham and Bristol were an illusion.

Racing Truth
03-24-05, 02:53 PM
Elitist huh? I guess all those chickenbone and beer can chucking, F you Gordon you fag, beer bellied, schlong sporting, chain smoking lowlifes I sat with at Darlington, Martinsville, Rockingham and Bristol were an illusion.

To be sure, that exists in, unfortunately, large numbers, but ratings, overall geographical distribution and attendance suggests it goes beyond this.

Look, I have serious issues with NASCAR too, but their success isn't one of them.

Night Train
03-24-05, 04:02 PM
Look, I've attended races at both Darlington and Charlotte and while there are plenty of 'necks, guess what, the people who attend those races are no worse than Philly or Detroit or Boston or (insert Northern sports city) sports fans.

Looking down on other series' fans (well, maybe except for the IRL's ;) ) will not help Champ Car grow at all.

See y'all in Cleveland.

pchall
03-24-05, 04:09 PM
I see Cosworth contracts with the Chinese auto industry in the future. Perhaps Indeck power generation contracts?

Now that makes some sense... more than franchises DQ & tenderloins.
:p

lone_groover
03-24-05, 04:12 PM
Let's hope they're not playing joke.

;)

NismoZ
03-24-05, 11:37 PM
Only here could a "ChampCar to China" topic center on NASCAR! :p Focus, people! PS...this "Announcement" was supposed to be mentioned on the national TV news tonight, NBC & CBS. Did anyone see or hear anything? (I get all the news I need on the weather report!-PS)

skaven
03-24-05, 11:47 PM
...this "Announcement" was supposed to be mentioned on the national TV news tonight, NBC & CBS. Did anyone see or hear anything?

I was looking through a USA Today (stayed in a Holiday Inn last night, so free Gannett rag) and they had a small blurb about it on the misc. page. I was surprised.

oddlycalm
03-25-05, 01:24 PM
I dunno about the national news, but it's on the CCWS website, Autosport and in an E-mail message that just arrived from our local race promoter. Looks like it's at the official announcement stage.

oc

cameraman
03-25-05, 01:53 PM
To be sure, that exists in, unfortunately, large numbers, but ratings, overall geographical distribution and attendance suggests it goes beyond this.

No, it just means that they are spreading out and taking over the country...

pchall
03-25-05, 02:27 PM

Outside of actual racing fans, the demographic spike among gymnastic fans was fantastic! That near face-plant on Sunday was inspiring.

Steve99
03-29-05, 06:42 PM
There was a smaller blurb about the China race in my local paper. They seem to have forgetton to report on the twirl race in Arizona somehow. :)