PDA

View Full Version : Jantzen looking for course changes for SJGP

pchall
03-23-05, 08:40 AM
link (http://www.montereyherald.com/mld/montereyherald/sports/11208960.htm)

Organizers of this summer's San Jose Grand Prix are scrambling to get city approval for an 11th-hour course change that would send race cars streaking through the heart of downtown rather than on its fringe.

Paving work that began last week has been halted on the original route that used the parking lot at HP Pavilion as both its start and finish. A source familiar with the alternative route who did not wish to be named said it would start in front of the Hilton hotel on Almaden Boulevard and skirt Plaza de Cesar Chavez at one point.

Dale Jantzen, president of the Canary Fund, the nonprofit group that signed a five-year agreement with the city to stage the Champ Car World Series race, said a desire to contain costs and ''maximize exposure for the city of San Jose'' were behind the proposed changes.

Interesting read. They are talking about improving the course for better racing as well as showing San Jose off in a better light to a worldwide audience.

Methanolandbrats
03-23-05, 08:43 AM
It's almost impossible to move an autocross at the last minute. Maybe they could just buy more cones and block off the bad spots. I don't think a couple chicanes would slow the cars much on that track. :D

NismoZ
03-23-05, 08:45 AM
Please, please, please...

Sean O'Gorman
03-23-05, 10:37 AM
It's almost impossible to move an autocross at the last minute. Maybe they could just buy more cones and block off the bad spots. I don't think a couple chicanes would slow the cars much on that track. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Warlock!
03-23-05, 11:15 AM
Please, please, please...
No doubt...

pchall
03-23-05, 12:41 PM
Hey, if the new layout really does skirt Plaza de Cesar Chavez, I want the assignment of selling trackside signage there to the America Grape Producers Association. :D

RichK
03-23-05, 01:06 PM
That's the section I originally suggested. It's a nice looking part of the city.

Sean O'Gorman
03-23-05, 01:17 PM
Move it to LAGUNA SECA.

Racing Truth
03-23-05, 04:14 PM
Move it to LAGUNA SECA.

Hey, run 'em with Grand-Am! :gomer:

:D :thumbup:

Ankf00
03-23-05, 10:25 PM
wait, I thought we were going to Santa Fe, you mean the race won't be w/in 10 hours of me? :gomer: