PDA

View Full Version : According to Speed, Scott Speed...

racer2c
03-22-05, 12:26 AM
well, I'll cut right to the quote...

Speed, America’s current best hope to become the country’s first driver at the pinnacle of motorsport since Michael Andretti’s ill-fated McLaren stint in 1993, will contest the new GP2 series this year with the iSport squad - his teammate Neel Jani of Switzerland, who also enjoys backing from the energy drinks company, will also test at the Circuit de Catalunya.

If I were RHR, I'd be pissed.

Here is Scott's resume...

Racing History
1993 – First karting race
1995 – First karting national title
1996 - 2001 – Multiple karting national titles and championships
2001 – Russell Racing Champion, Sonoma Ca.
(first car racing championship)
2002 – Barber Dodge National Championship
2002 – Formula Mazda Championship
2002 – Selected, and won, Red Bull American Driver Search
2003 – British F3 (partial season due to illness)
2004 – Formula Renault German and Eurocup Champion
2004 – Testing with Red Bull Cheever Racing IRL team
2005 – GP2

Now for comparison, here is RHR's resume.

2005 – ChampCar World Series driver for Rocketsports

2004 – ChampCar World Series driver for Team Herdez Competition (#4 Lola/Ford Cosworth)

* Recorded his second career ChampCar victory at The Milwaukee Mile;
* Earned his first ChampCar pole position.
* Led the most laps in the history of a ChampCar race and lapped every car but three in the field..
* 2003 – ChampCar World Series driver for American Spirit Team Johansson
* Captured first career ChampCar World Series victory at Surfer’s Paradise, Australia;
* Became the first American rookie to win a ChampCar race in 20 years.

2002 – ChampCar Toyota Atlantic Championship driver for Hylton Motorsports

* Captured three race wins (Laguna Seca, Chicago, Cleveland) and three pole positions
* Led most laps (160), tied for most victories (3) and finished 6th in the series
* Won BBS “Rising Star” Award and “Fastest Driver” Pace Award for most fast laps

2001 – ChampCar Barber Dodge Pro Series

* Recorded 2 race wins (Lime Rock, Toronto) and finished 5th in the championship

2000 – ChanpCar Barber Dodge Pro Series “Rookie of the Year”

* Finished 5th in the championship; earned two podiums, four Top-5 finishes

Now who would you choose? To me, two years in a Champ Car tops British F3 and German Formula Renault. His season in GP2 will be telling.

Sean O'Gorman
03-22-05, 12:34 AM
Its not even close. Scott Speed is in an entirely different league than RHR.

Speed has won in Europe, RHR could barely win in BDPS and Atlantics. Speed has potential, RHR is a known quantity and hasn't been that impressive on road courses.

Now if we were talking Scott Speed and A.J. Allmendinger, that would be alot closer...

racer2c
03-22-05, 12:37 AM
winky winky, here's the linky (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/formulaone/15796/)

racer2c
03-22-05, 12:40 AM
Its not even close. Scott Speed is in an entirely different league than RHR.

Speed has won in Europe, RHR could barely win in BDPS and Atlantics. Speed has potential, RHR is a known quantity and hasn't been that impressive on road courses.

Now if we were talking Scott Speed and A.J. Allmendinger, that would be alot closer...

Ok, so plug in AJ. What get's me is that SpeedTV is calling Speed "America's current best hope". BS.

Sean O'Gorman
03-22-05, 12:41 AM
So what other American drivers are there that have been successful in Europe, thus making them more deserving of the title? Cheever? :gomer:

racer2c
03-22-05, 12:44 AM
So what other American drivers are there that have been successful in Europe, thus making them more deserving of the title? Cheever? :gomer:

In my book, the two guys who have Champ Car experience, over a cat who just started GP2.

Sean O'Gorman
03-22-05, 12:52 AM
So by that standard, Mazzacane would be a better choice because he has Champ Car AND F1 experience!

racer2c
03-22-05, 12:53 AM
So by that standard, Mazzacane would be a better choice because he has Champ Car AND F1 experience!

Is he from Indy? :gomer:

FCYTravis
03-22-05, 01:49 AM
No, they're being factual. He's the best hope to make it to F1 because he's got a sugar daddy backer behind him that's going to push him all the way into a Red Bull seat.

Regardless of talent and barring a massive ****up, Red Bull's gonna put Scott Speed in one of their F1 seats long before RHR so much as gets an F1 paddock pass.

So SPEED is just telling it like it is.

Dr. Corkski
03-22-05, 01:56 AM
Trouble is r2c, you don't actually own a F1 team.

I dont say this often but O'Gorman's got it covered. RHR isn't even the second best American driver in Champ Car.

Whether AJA is better than Scott Speed is barely relevant here. Look where last years champs in both Champ Car and F3000. Bourdais couldn't even get a test. Liuzzi is a couple of Klien screw ups away from a F1 race seat.

Don't try to make this into some anti-Champ Car article where it really isn't.

RichK
03-22-05, 01:21 PM
I've seen Scott Speed drive karts and FMazdas, the guy is ****ing fast. He's also doing things the right way to get into F1: racing in Europe & hooking up with the big money.

JohnnyQ
03-22-05, 03:20 PM
No, they're being factual. He's the best hope to make it to F1 because he's got a sugar daddy backer behind him that's going to push him all the way into a Red Bull seat.

Regardless of talent and barring a massive ****up, Red Bull's gonna put Scott Speed in one of their F1 seats long before RHR so much as gets an F1 paddock pass.

So SPEED is just telling it like it is.

BINGO! Sugardaddy is right. The last two guys to give it a whirl were Elton Julian and Cunningham. I think Red Bull will give Speed a test and they'll be done with him. I've seen him run...he's no standout.

Beevis
03-22-05, 04:01 PM
They call him America's best current hope because that is what he is. Last year he won two VERY competitive championships in Europe and this year will likely be a front-runner in GP2. The folks at Red Bull love the kid because not only is he good in the car, he has the right mental toughness to deal with F1.

nrc
03-22-05, 04:08 PM
What it should tell you is that if you want to be in F1 you should race in Europe. Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

A few years back the F1 crowd saw Champ car as a good mid-step between F3000 and F1. These days they seem to think of it as below F3k. The feeders don't even register on their radar, even back when Lights and Atlantic had good, talented fields.

oddlycalm
03-22-05, 04:25 PM
The unfortunate part of this story is that even in in unlikely event that a US driver ascended to the top of F1 and clinched a WDC, the majority of those in the US would never know who he was.

US riders dominated the FIM championship for 20yrs beginning with Kenny Roberts in 1978 and continuing with Wayne Rainey, Freddy Spencer, Kevin Schwanz, Eddy Lawson and right up to Kenny Roberts Jr. Roberts Sr. is widely regarded in Europe to be the best rider in history, better than even Hailwood or Agostini, yet the average person in the US didn't have a clue as to who he was even after his third world championship.

The Tour de France is the largest single sporting event in the world. Lance Armstrong had little name recognition in the US until his US sponsors beat the drum heavily and Greg LeMond remained a near complete unknown after beating legend Bernard Hinault for the 1986 Tour victory.

oc

racer2c
03-22-05, 05:20 PM
I know I know. But as a Champ Car Cheerleader, it gets to me.
That's why I like it when AJ says his goal is a long career in Champ Car.

Sean O'Gorman
03-22-05, 06:22 PM
he has the right mental toughness to deal with F1.

I think this is the most important part. Look at how "tougher" guys like Villeneuve (well, back in the day) and Montoya adapted to F1 while Andretti, Zanardi, and da Matta struggled.

It just seems like the U.S. way of teaching drivers causes them to be too cautious. Compare the aggression shown in the lower formulae in Europe to that in America (even Champ Cars) where contact results in black flags.

RichK
03-22-05, 07:00 PM
It just seems like the U.S. way of teaching drivers causes them to be too cautious. Compare the aggression shown in the lower formulae in Europe to that in America (even Champ Cars) where contact results in black flags.

Maybe it's a number-of-competitive-drivers thing. Put a driver in a 100 car Formula Ford Festival field and he'll learn to be aggressive in order to win. Put him in a 25 car Barber Dodge field with 5 big dogs, then 18 car Atlantic field with 4 big dogs, etc......it's a different experience.

The US doesn't value open wheel road racing, so its drivers suffer the lack of competition and won't make it in Europe with the hard fought races. It's the same with bicycle racing, the real serious guys go to Europe, that's where the sport is biggest.

Beevis
03-23-05, 06:40 PM
Mr. Speed now has more F1 experience and RHR.

Dr. Corkski
03-23-05, 06:59 PM
Mr. Speed now has more F1 experience and RHR.Oh the humanity!

racer2c
03-23-05, 07:05 PM
Well, we have Jos. :p

oddlycalm
03-24-05, 04:18 PM
Not bad for his first time in an F1 ride. Considering the goofy situation at Red Bull, this kid actually has an outside chance to make the show.
Speed shows some speed (http://www.autosport-atlas.com/News.aspx?id=43139&s=5)

oc

Warlock!
03-25-05, 10:38 AM
Stolen from some forum...

Barcelona F1 testing times - Thursday:

1. Speed (Red Bull/Cosworth/M) 1:16.122 (39 laps)
2. Heidfeld (Williams/BMW/M) 1:16.674 (120)
3. Pizzonia (Williams/BMW/M) 1:17.160 (111)
4. Jani (Red Bull/Cosworth/M) 1:18.037 (51)

Speed and Jani in the same, '04 spec car. Obviously, the Williams are '05 spec. Not bad, I'd say...

formulaben
03-27-05, 08:53 PM
If I were RHR, I'd be pissed.

Because RHR didn't go to Europe? Because he hasn't had a recent F1 test? Because there are no F1 teams knocking down his door? :shakehead

Now who would you choose? To me, two years in a Champ Car tops British F3 and German Formula Renault. His season in GP2 will be telling.

Well, I'd refer you to the guy that hired Kimi straight out of F3...versus the other F3000 Champions that haven't quite lived up to the hype.

Look, I'd like to see RHR in F1, but the last 5 guys to leave Champcar for F1 were CHAMPIONS. Please, let's at least let him get to that step before we start annointing him F1 material.

racer2c
03-28-05, 01:05 AM
Because RHR didn't go to Europe? Because he hasn't had a recent F1 test? Because there are no F1 teams knocking down his door? :shakehead

Well, I'd refer you to the guy that hired Kimi straight out of F3...versus the other F3000 Champions that haven't quite lived up to the hype.

Look, I'd like to see RHR in F1, but the last 5 guys to leave Champcar for F1 were CHAMPIONS. Please, let's at least let him get to that step before we start annointing him F1 material.

This wasn't specifically about RHR, but rather the quote by SpeedTV saying that Scott Speed (whoever that is) is America's current best hope for an American in F1. If you think he is, who cares.

Sean O'Gorman
03-28-05, 01:20 AM
So, if its not Speed, who is America's best hope for F1?

Just because you didn't know who he is doesn't mean that those who watch the lower series closer don't already know how fast he is.

rabbit
03-28-05, 01:33 AM
Are we talking "best hope" or "most qualified?"

Because that can be two very different animals.

racer2c
03-28-05, 01:38 AM
So, if its not Speed, who is America's best hope for F1?

Just because you didn't know who he is doesn't mean that those who watch the lower series closer don't already know how fast he is.

I did a search using OC's search feature and didn't find one thread where you mentioned Scott Speed. Maybe you should start a fan club web page! :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
03-28-05, 02:03 AM

Because that can be two very different animals.Doesn't matter, RHR is not anywhere close to either description.

I did a search using OC's search feature and didn't find one thread where you mentioned Scott Speed. Maybe you should start a fan club web page! :gomer:And you just keep digging and digging... :laugh:

http://www.offcamber.net/forums/showthread.php?p=84735&highlight=scott+speed#post84735

rabbit
03-28-05, 02:06 AM
Doesn't matter, RHR is not anywhere close to either description.
Where did I mention RHR? :saywhat:

Scott Speed might fit one of those tags, but not both.

Railbird
03-28-05, 09:41 AM
Keep an eye on John Edwards (http://www.johnmichaeledwards.com/index.html)

SPEED (http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/karting/15664/)

Beevis
03-28-05, 09:52 AM
This wasn't specifically about RHR, but rather the quote by SpeedTV saying that Scott Speed (whoever that is) If you haven't heard of Scott, you haven't been paying very close attention.

I'll throw another now out who you probably haven't heard of either who is significantly closer to F1 than RHR, Colin Fleming. So next year when he is doing tests in F1 cars while RHR is slogging around as a mid-packer in ChampCar, you can't say you haven't heard of him either.

Sean O'Gorman
03-28-05, 10:39 AM

Because that can be two very different animals.

By "best hope" I meant if you were picking an American driver to put in an F1 car ,which one would best fit the bill. I don't know what other Americans I'd consider for an F1 ride besides Speed.

JT265
03-28-05, 11:27 AM
I think this is the most important part. Look at how "tougher" guys like Villeneuve (well, back in the day) and Montoya adapted to F1 while Andretti, Zanardi, and da Matta struggled.

Yep. It seems to me that Chris Pook was villified around here for saying essentially the same thing two years ago.

I know, he specifically slammed the cars, but this side of the pond needs to lose the need to toss a FCY every 5 minutes or so.

Heard from the flagstand: " AW CRAP!!! I dropped my box of M&M's!! Throw a flag will ya? It was my last box too!! "
:cry:

Easy
03-28-05, 11:35 AM
Scott Speed was mentioned on nearly every F1 broadcast during the second half of last season. Also, RHR had the same Red Bull contract offered to him at the same time as Speed. He chose to take a different route.

Btw, from what I gather, Elton Julian almost managed to sort out a deal for GP2 this year but got started too late. That would have been nice to see.

Railbird
03-28-05, 11:43 AM
but this side of the pond needs to lose the need to toss a FCY every 5 minutes or so.

whoooo boy, dead center on that one.

rabbit
03-28-05, 11:56 AM
I know, he specifically slammed the cars, but this side of the pond needs to lose the need to toss a FCY every 5 minutes or so.

You can thank your good friends at Dyer, Garofalo, Mann & Schultz (http://www.dgmslaw.com/) (etc.) for that. :thumdown:

Sean O'Gorman
03-28-05, 12:16 PM
Yep. It seems to me that Chris Pook was villified around here for saying essentially the same thing two years ago.

Heard from the flagstand: " AW CRAP!!! I dropped my box of M&M's!! Throw a flag will ya? It was my last box too!! "
:cry:

I'm pretty sure if he was villified for that, it is because he was doing nothing to fix the situation in the U.S.

IMHO the biggest problem is the fact that they discourage aggression. Try a gutsy move in Atlantics or whatever and end up punting a guy, you get penalized. Drive too aggressive and wreck on occasion, you lose your Skip Barber scholarship. It is no wonder the American drivers aren't considered equal to their European trained counterparts.

Let them wreck into each other and other things. Eventually the driver will get the message that to finish first he must first finish, and will tone things down and start winning races cleanly. :thumbup:

RichK
03-28-05, 01:11 PM
Try a gutsy move in Atlantics or whatever and end up punting a guy, you get penalized. Drive too aggressive and wreck on occasion, you lose your Skip Barber scholarship. It is no wonder the American drivers aren't considered equal to their European trained counterparts.

Or, God Forbid, change your line at a Denver Atlantic race and get a drive through penalty. Disgraceful.

Dr. Corkski
03-28-05, 04:36 PM
Or, God Forbid, change your line at a Denver Atlantic race and get a drive through penalty. Disgraceful.Hell show any sign of talent and you will probably end up stuck driving sportscars for a living.

JohnnyQ
03-28-05, 08:01 PM
Or, God Forbid, change your line at a Denver Atlantic race and get a drive through penalty. Disgraceful.

European racing brings out the aggression. When you get someone blocking and creeping into the corner every lap your only choice is aggression. Euro racing? :shakehead

formulaben
03-29-05, 06:19 PM
This wasn't specifically about RHR, but rather the quote by SpeedTV saying that Scott Speed (whoever that is) is America's current best hope for an American in F1. If you think he is, who cares.

I don't expect anyone to care, but you're the one that brought up RHR. I'm just pointing out the facts as to why RHR probably shouldn't be or isn't pissed. I also agree with Pruett. If you think someone else has a better shot, then please explain. But as of RIGHT NOW, I would bet a lot of money that in the next couple years, Scott Speed will be there first. Is he better than (fill in name here)? Doesn't matter; the crux is who is our best hope to get there. Right now, Scott Speed is doing all the right things. If RHR wants to get there, he'd better win some races and claim the Championship. The last 12 years of Champcar history says that is the only way you'll get there...just the facts.

Easy
04-06-05, 03:10 PM
GP2 #1 (http://www.gp2series.com)

Speed quickest in pre-season qualification sessions, will carry the number 1 in 2005 GP2 series.

Dr. Corkski
04-06-05, 11:52 PM
GP2 #1 (http://www.gp2series.com)

Speed quickest in pre-season qualification sessions, will carry the number 1 in 2005 GP2 series.What's the big deal, RHR inherited the #1 in Atlantics. Oh wait, did you say Speed earned it? :gomer:

racer2c
04-07-05, 12:25 AM
I don't expect anyone to care, but you're the one that brought up RHR. I'm just pointing out the facts as to why RHR probably shouldn't be or isn't pissed. I also agree with Pruett. If you think someone else has a better shot, then please explain. But as of RIGHT NOW, I would bet a lot of money that in the next couple years, Scott Speed will be there first. Is he better than (fill in name here)? Doesn't matter; the crux is who is our best hope to get there. Right now, Scott Speed is doing all the right things. If RHR wants to get there, he'd better win some races and claim the Championship. The last 12 years of Champcar history says that is the only way you'll get there...just the facts.

So your 'facts' are based on your speculation on what Speed will do in the future? Can you see my future too? I hope there's beer in the future! :gomer:

Bjorn Wirdheim, the 2003 F3000 champ is now in Champ Car. So much for his F1 career eh?

Hey, I'm an American and will be a happy camper if an American makes it to F1. 'If' he does that is.

Sean O'Gorman
04-07-05, 12:26 AM
Did Bjorn have the sponsorship of an F1 team looking to bring an American into the sport behind him?

racer2c
04-07-05, 12:29 AM
Did Bjorn have the sponsorship of an F1 team looking to bring an American into the sport behind him?

You tell me. Why be so cryptic? :gomer:

I can't wait until AJ spanks Speed Racer, the "ALMIGHTY" once he gets the boot from the Europeans.

Dr. Corkski
04-07-05, 12:42 AM
So now it's onto the AJ bandwagon. What ever happened to RHR the Great White Hope? Good thing no one here is running for President. :gomer:

Wirdheim's sugar daddy doesn't own a F1 team. AJ's doesn't either. Speed's does.

racer2c
04-07-05, 12:53 AM
So now it's onto the AJ bandwagon. What ever happened to RHR the Great White Hope? Good thing no one here is running for President. :gomer:

Wirdheim's sugar daddy doesn't own a F1 team. AJ's doesn't either. Speed's does.

Still last in class on reading comprehension I see and yet you have the gonads to call yourself a doctor! LOL!!!

So if Speed makes it to F1, l can count you pessimistic F's to pan him because he's bought and paid for right? I thought so. :gomer:

Sean O'Gorman
04-07-05, 01:01 AM
You tell me. Why be so cryptic? :gomer:

I can't wait until AJ spanks Speed Racer, the "ALMIGHTY" once he gets the boot from the Europeans.

Like AJ did here:?

http://www.skusaonline.com/supernats00/feature_s1.htm

or here?

http://www.skusaonline.com/napmt/world_finals/points_s1.htm

what about here?

http://www.skusaonline.com/promoto2000/points/pacific_s1_race4.htm

Come to think of it, when has A.J. Allmendinger beat Scott Speed in something? :saywhat:

Sean O'Gorman
04-07-05, 01:02 AM
So if Speed makes it to F1, l can count you pessimistic F's to pan him because he's bought and paid for right? I thought so. :gomer:

He is "bought and paid for" in the sense that he outperformed all the other drivers that were eligible for the Red Bull sponsorship, which is quite a few people. I myself even tried out for it in '03, so that shows you how wide the scope is. :)

Dr. Corkski
04-07-05, 01:04 AM

or here?

what about here?

Come to think of it, when has A.J. Allmendinger beat Scott Speed in something? :saywhat:Come on you know both of them just got lucky because Ryan Hunter-Christ would have dominated both of them. :gomer:

racer2c
04-07-05, 01:07 AM

or here?

what about here?

Come to think of it, when has A.J. Allmendinger beat Scott Speed in something? :saywhat:

He beat him to a major league series. Scott Speed, the next SENNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WEEEEEEEEEEEEE EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe eeeeeee

Sean O'Gorman
04-07-05, 01:11 AM
He beat him to a major league series. Scott Speed, the next SENNA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WEEEEEEEEEEEEE EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe eeeeeee

Yeah, and AJ4 beat them both to a major series. What's your point?

Its not even worth arguing with you anymore because you quite obviously aren't making any sense. I bet if Scott Speed was the Champ Car trained driver and A.J. Allmendinger went to Europe, you'd be defending Scott instead. :rolleyes:

Dr. Corkski
04-07-05, 01:13 AM
He is "bought and paid for" in the sense that he outperformed all the other drivers that were eligible for the Red Bull sponsorship, which is quite a few people. I myself even tried out for it in '03, so that shows you how wide the scope is. :)Now don't go debating with the reading champion that was at the track to watch Senna. You just saw him on TV so you obviously don't know nothing. :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
04-07-05, 01:14 AM
Yeah, and AJ4 beat them both to a major series. What's your point?

Its not even worth arguing with you anymore because you quite obviously aren't making any sense. I bet if Scott Speed was the Champ Car trained driver and A.J. Allmendinger went to Europe, you'd be defending Scott instead. :rolleyes:No, he would still be pimping Hunter-Reay because RHR is teh sux. :gomer:

Seadog
04-07-05, 09:55 AM
Well he's quickest again in GP2 testing. He's going quicker than some very blue chip, up and coming names. He's got a very successful F1 test under his belt and an F1 License. This driver has alot going for him. It's no wonder that there is building hype.

I'd like to see AJ doing the same I'm sure he has similar potential.

1. iSport International 1:19.414 Speed 2
2. Hitech Piquet Sports 1:19.612 Piquet 2
3. BCN Competicion 1:19.726 Viso 2
4. Super Nova International 1:19.947 Pantano 2
5. ART Grand Prix 1:19.979 Rosberg 1
6. DPR 1:20.042 Pla 2
7. Dams 1:20.097 Lopez 2
8. Coloni Motorsport 1:20.138 Bruni 2
9. Racing Engineering 1:20.200 García 1
10. Campos Racing 1:20.203 Alvarez 1
11. Arden International 1:20.271 Kovalainen 2

formulaben
04-08-05, 12:16 AM
Its not even worth arguing with you anymore because you quite obviously aren't making any sense.

Yeah, that finally dawned on me too...I feel like the sober guy at the bar arguing with the drunk! :shakehead

racer2c
04-08-05, 12:32 AM
Yeah, that finally dawned on me too...I feel like the sober guy at the bar arguing with the drunk! :shakehead

Hey, you guys got me all wrong! I'm with you! Speed = Senna. American Champ Car drivers = sux. See, we're all on the same page. :)

Sean O'Gorman
04-08-05, 11:59 AM
I never said Allmendinger sucks, just that he isn't as good of an F1 prospect (both talent-wise and in realistic hopes of making it to F1, which is what this thread is about).

But of course, your Champ Car fanboyistic instincts go off the second someone doesn't think AJA or RHR are the best American drivers, and thus we end up with this mess of a thread. ;)

Beevis
04-08-05, 04:59 PM
Arguing with him is like arguing with my ex-wife. . there's no point. :D

Sean O'Gorman
04-08-05, 05:07 PM
Arguing with him is like arguing with my ex-wife. . there's no point. :D

Who? Me, r2c, or both?

Must be something about people named Sean. :laugh:

Beevis
04-08-05, 05:45 PM
Not you

Fio1
04-21-05, 02:30 AM
It's funny but I don't remember all this pro-Scott speed stuff during the Red Bull deal a few years ago. I seem to remember Joey Hand's name etc being herald as future stars and not speed's by some of you guys. I even remember reading that the whole red bull deal was bs because the likes of Hand & Moran got sent home early.......But whatever, now you see the light. :cool:

From someone who has worked with both Speed and RHR. "They are both equally good drivers who can win races in F1, given the right car." This coming from a guy who has worked with F1 drivers; Alesi, Comas and Bernard in the past. :)

Spicoli
04-21-05, 06:39 AM
Bandwagon.

But I still like the kid think he's got talent, and wish him the best.

Dr. Corkski
04-21-05, 06:57 AM
What's Joel Nelson doing these days?

racer2c
04-21-05, 09:55 AM
Not you

That's the difference between you, your type and me, I don't come here to argue. :gomer:

I look forward to the day an American is in F1, whether it's Speed or someone else.

Spicoli
04-21-05, 10:42 AM
I look forward to the day an American is in F1, whether it's Speed or someone else.

And so does Bernie.

Me too. As long as his name is not Andretti.

jonovision_man
04-21-05, 10:50 AM
And so does Bernie.

Me too. As long as his name is not Andretti.

:D I don't think we have much to fear there!

It's inevitable, there's so many guys who are young and fast, one has to stick sooner or later.

jono

Easy
04-23-05, 05:09 PM
Speed finished third in the first GP2 race. Kovaleinen won.

clutch
04-23-05, 06:36 PM
How about Patrick Long and Phil Geibler? Didn't they try the Euro way for years and they didn't get to F1?

Long is a Porsche driver in ALMS GT. Don't know what happened to Geibler. It seems alot about bringing money and sponsors anymore anyway.

Or, I guess Cheever and Mi. Andretti ruined it for Americans the past decade?

Sean O'Gorman
04-23-05, 06:46 PM
How about Patrick Long and Phil Geibler? Didn't they try the Euro way for years and they didn't get to F1?

Long is a Porsche driver in ALMS GT. Don't know what happened to Geibler. It seems alot about bringing money and sponsors anymore anyway.

Or, I guess Cheever and Mi. Andretti ruined it for Americans the past decade?

The answer to any question involving "why didn't ________ make it" is always $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

oddlycalm
04-24-05, 05:19 AM
Speed managed a 3rd place on his first GP2 outing. A podium the first time out is a solid performance, although he was 18 seconds back. He drove a clean race and benfitted when others didn't.

oc

Easy
04-25-05, 11:01 AM
Long caught the eye of Porsche AG at the initial Red Bull search and they offered him a deal. Without an ironclad, guaranteed backer to cover everything up to and including your first year with Minardi you don't turn down a factory Porsche gig.

Giebler didn't have enough backing for a proper F3000 campaign but looked good in his few outings with SuperNova 2. He recently took part in the Team aka driver shoot-out for the new Pan-Am Formula Renault V6 series but that whole thing seems to be in limbo.

extramundane
04-25-05, 01:03 PM
Giebler didn't have enough backing for a proper F3000 campaign but looked good in his few outings with SuperNova 2.

Having a serious shoulder injury just when sponsors were getting interested surely hurt his career in a big way.

But look at the wonders IPS did for him! :gomer: