PDA

View Full Version : PHX Ratings. Let the excuses begin.

CHAMPCARS4EVER
03-21-05, 07:46 PM
It's being reported on several of the other forums that the overnights for Phoenix are in with a whopping 0.8, on ABC no less. Excuses so far:

Turn13 - It would probably be better if it was from a Sunday (perhaps back to a 1.2).

Turn13 - It would also probably be better on either NBC or CBS (perhaps as high as 1.8 or 2)

CHAMPCARS4EVER
03-21-05, 07:49 PM
tbyars - Most of the folks I know who are GREAT IRL fans weren't aware the race was on Saturday this week.

Spicoli
03-21-05, 07:49 PM
Unseasonably cool weather with threatening rain in the forecast had a detrimental effect on the attendance as under 15,000 people were in the grandstands. Last year's race on a Sunday drew an estimated 30,000.

Robin Miller of SPEED TV estimated the crowd at 5,000. But the best line in the press room came from Marlo Klain of ESPN who said, "I had more people at my wedding."

:gomer:

It's MY fault.

Railbird
03-21-05, 08:08 PM
I'm amazed at the number of "huge fans" who were caught unaware of the Saturday date.

No wonder the bare aluminum and .1 ratings are the norm if their "huge fans" are no more clued in than that.

I wonder how many of those "huge fans" are going to visit Russia in a couple weeks?

http://www.oksanas.net/St%20Petersburg%20map%20regional.jpg

eiregosod
03-21-05, 09:34 PM
3 years ago they got a 1.5 from Hoestead , that race was on a Saturday

pchall
03-21-05, 09:51 PM
3 years ago they got a 1.5 from Hoestead , that race was on a Saturday

For years they posted about racing on Saturday being an advantage since they would not be competing against Cup. And that was when lots of Busch races were on over the air TV on Saturdays. Right now Busch in on FX and they get a 1/3rd drop from last year.

'splain that, Lucy!

eiregosod
03-21-05, 10:52 PM
For years they posted about racing on Saturday being an advantage since they would not be competing against Cup. And that was when lots of Busch races were on over the air TV on Saturdays. Right now Busch in on FX and they get a 1/3rd drop from last year.

'splain that, Lucy!

I'm sure they'd wish for friday night racing now.

the gomers need to concoct any sort of BS to divert any thoughts they might have that the IRL might actually suck

DaveL
03-21-05, 11:11 PM

Nah. It's Shabbot so they have the excuse if religious Jews aren't watching.

CART T. Katz
03-22-05, 12:17 AM
most of the faithful were watching "waw to waw baysketbaw" all day. i know that's the excuse they're going to use. :shakehead even though their major programs sucked this year, it's still a basketball state.

what's the next race, motegi? oh, the race was on too early in the morning. pathetic. :thumdown:

Methanolandbrats
03-22-05, 12:36 AM
most of the faithful were watching "waw to waw baysketbaw" all day. i know that's the excuse they're going to use. :shakehead even though their major programs sucked this year, it's still a basketball state.

what's the next race, motegi? oh, the race was on too early in the morning. pathetic. :thumdown: Same time as Iron Chef.

Brickman
03-22-05, 02:46 AM
what's the next race, motegi? oh, the race was on too early in the morning. pathetic. :thumdown:

Naw, a ratings breakthrough race... a couple guys to be lapped in three laps, blackflagged in four. ;)

http://www.indycar.com/schedule/images/stpete_track.jpg

But sure enough Motegi will be Midnight EDT.

Wheel-Nut
03-22-05, 10:46 AM
LOL at Railbird. :thumbup:

Skater_36
03-22-05, 11:09 AM
[QUOTE=Railbird]I'm amazed at the number of "huge fans" who were caught unaware of the Saturday date.

No wonder the bare aluminum and .1 ratings are the norm if their "huge fans" are no more clued in than that.

I wonder how many of those "huge fans" are going to visit Russia in a couple weeks?

QUOTE]

:laugh: Very true. If even the most fanatical fans are not aware of when their favorite form of racing is being televised, then the league is nearly invisible or the "fans" are clueless. Either way, this is not good for the future of the IRL. Rest assured that Toyota, Honda, ISC and a host of other sponsors are not amused by the low spectator turnout and continually dwindling tv ratings. It costs big money to put on an event like that and the ROI is not there. Toyota can take some solice in the fact that they won a race but what good is it if nobody watches or cares?

Winston Wolfe
03-22-05, 12:19 PM
[QUOTE=Railbird]I'm amazed at the number of "huge fans" who were caught unaware of the Saturday date.

QUOTE]

:laugh: Very true. If even the most fanatical fans are not aware of when their favorite form of racing is being televised, then the league is nearly invisible or the "fans" are clueless. Either way, this is not good for the future of the IRL. Rest assured that Toyota, Honda, ISC and a host of other sponsors are not amused by the low spectator turnout and continually dwindling tv ratings. It costs big money to put on an event like that and the ROI is not there. Toyota can take some solice in the fact that they won a race but what good is it if nobody watches or cares?

^^^^
This is the RNofty post of the day \ week \ month !!! LOL :D

cart7
03-22-05, 01:24 PM
I think we all agree the racin's as good as it gets. Danica survived Homestead with all her essential assets intact and Gosh darn it, Sam finally won again. I just don't understand how the greatist racing on the planet has evolved to Saturday night feature attendance and ratings that are beaten by at least half the programs on the food channel. :gomer:

oddlycalm
03-22-05, 04:45 PM
I think we all agree the racin's as good as it gets. Danica survived Homestead with all her essential assets intact and Gosh darn it, Sam finally won again. I just don't understand how the greatist racing on the planet has evolved to Saturday night feature attendance and ratings that are beaten by at least half the programs on the food channel. :gomer: :laugh: :thumbup: Just right for the "Hank & EARL" episode of "King Of The Hill." :D

oc

Andrew Longman
03-22-05, 05:15 PM

the gomers need to concoct any sort of BS to divert any thoughts they might have that the IRL might actually suck

Just for laughs. Anyone know what the ratings for the Truck race was on Friday night?

CART T. Katz
03-22-05, 05:38 PM
when the champcars were at gateway, i knew that the race was on a saturday. i knew when the schedule came out. i thought that it was cool that champcar had a regularly scheduled saturday race because it was unique.

seems to me that the real fans are always aware of when their series races.

racer2c
03-22-05, 05:54 PM
when the champcars were at gateway, i knew that the race was on a saturday. i knew when the schedule came out. i thought that it was cool that champcar had a regularly scheduled saturday race because it was unique.

seems to me that the real fans are always aware of when their series races.

So true. I've always known when and where each Champ Car race was on for the last 20 years.

Wheel-Nut
03-22-05, 05:59 PM
Just for laughs. Anyone know what the ratings for the Truck race was on Friday night?

I don't know about the truck race but SpongeBob Squarepants:

#5 SPONGEBOB NICK SAT 9:30 AM 2.8 3,872,000 hh

eiregosod
03-22-05, 06:51 PM

I did a quick search and came up wuth this. The Daytona truck race got a 2.1 nielsen rating (though its Speed, and that doesn't translate to 2 million hh)

http://www.truckseries.com/cgi-script/NCTS/articles/000008/000840.htm

if normal nascar races get half of what daytona gets, then trucks are a solidly over 1.0. not surprising as many NASCAR fans like the truck series.

RichK
03-22-05, 07:16 PM
I don't know about the truck race but SpongeBob Squarepants:

#5 SPONGEBOB NICK SAT 9:30 AM 2.8 3,872,000 hh

No wonder, it was side by side action!

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00006IJJQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Wheel-Nut
03-22-05, 09:33 PM
^^ :rofl: :rofl: :thumbup:

Jervis Tetch 1
03-23-05, 09:45 AM
:D

pchall
03-23-05, 11:53 AM
As usual, SpongeSam SquarishPants takes the high outside line. But then, he's the Star of the show and its scripted that way, right?

DagoFast
03-27-05, 08:30 PM
"The race's are kinda boring on TV" Oh wait! That's just Toeknee's opinion....not an excuse. :gomer:

nrc
03-27-05, 08:51 PM
Did we ever get a final on that mess?

Ziggy
03-28-05, 02:50 AM
The votes are all in

what do you say?

Depender - The real fans didn't know the race was Saturday!
Turd13 - The business plan is working
Truthy - Wheel to wheel, very eggciting
dogring - we ran well, I think?
220 - Best racing ever
Wilkie - Numbers dont lie (but sources do, eh?)

the rest of the world

crickets chirping, race got beat by a test pattern

.6 final

The Vision needs glasses

Don Quixote
03-28-05, 08:44 AM
Seems that 0.6 on a network might be an all time low. I'm sure T&H are thrilled.

Spicoli
03-28-05, 10:32 AM
.6?

Dang. Well, nowhere to go but up! :gomer:

skaven
03-28-05, 11:24 AM
.6? Honda and Toyota must be thrilled.

That made my morning ! ! ! ! :)

DaveL
03-28-05, 11:39 AM
I think the ratings were remain steady for the season simply because there's fewer and fewer groups of fans left to alienate.

JLMannin
03-28-05, 12:12 PM
A couple of years ago, the gomerati were claiming that the ratings erosion was strictly due to the number of channels in the TV universe increasing. To me that was an admission that the IRL has no fans, as they essentially were admitting that their TV veiwership is a random event.

dando
03-28-05, 02:24 PM
All I can say is:

:)

:laugh:

Unfortunately I will prolly be tempted to watch the street fest @ St. Pete just to see the coneage and have a few laffs.

-Kevin

Andrew Longman
03-28-05, 02:38 PM
.6? Honda and Toyota must be thrilled.

That made my morning ! ! ! ! :)

True. And ABC must be thrilled, since they are paying for the production and the rights.

Now I don't expect great ratings for LB either, but more than 8000 will pay to attend, sponsor expectations and investment and team costs will be in line with reality, and NBC will be taking in money, not spending it, to showcase the product.

It ain't NASCAR's deal and its not CART circa 1995, but it is workable.

The IRL is not.

mueber
03-28-05, 03:21 PM
There was a race in Phoenix?

Jervis Tetch 1
03-28-05, 07:48 PM
All I can say is:

:)

:laugh:

Unfortunately I will prolly be tempted to watch the street fest @ St. Pete just to see the coneage and have a few laffs.

-Kevin
I'm going to watch with the great hope that their "great hope" Sam Hornish, puts the car into the wall or someone else. :gomer:

There's gomers on TF that actually think he's going to get a top five finish. If he does, it's 'cause the Craptain will pull him out of pit sequence--it won't be anything Sham does.

But I still think he'll hit something.

racer2c
03-28-05, 08:05 PM
If I were Hornish I'd have my manager on the phone with ever Cup and Busch team there is.

JohnnyQ
03-28-05, 08:11 PM
If I were Hornish I'd have my manager on the phone with ever Cup and Busch team there is.

I'm curious to see if Penske money makes him a better road racer? His F2000 career was average at best with pretty good dough behind him.

Railbird
03-28-05, 08:11 PM
Sam's current owner also owns a few tintops if memory serves.

The problem there is having to face off with the Nascar's young guns.

dando
03-28-05, 08:20 PM
I'm going to watch with the great hope that their "great hope" Sam Hornish, puts the car into the wall or someone else. :gomer:

There's gomers on TF that actually think he's going to get a top five finish. If he does, it's 'cause the Craptain will pull him out of pit sequence--it won't be anything Sham does.

But I still think he'll hit something.
The first turn should be a hoot...if they can get enuff speed up to make the turn. ;) :gomer:

-Kevin

racer2c
03-28-05, 08:28 PM
Well, winning in an IRL car in front of some 8,000 people in Phoenix may make ol' Rog a happy camper, but the faint sound of those peoples applause is the sound of Sam's career being flushed down the commode. No loss in my book.

I have a feeling that Sam's advisors are telling him to hang in there and try to get an INdy 500 win so that he'll have better leverage against the Cup young'uns.

Spicoli
03-28-05, 09:39 PM
Well, winning in an IRL car in front of some 8,000 people in Phoenix may make ol' Rog a happy camper, but the faint sound of those peoples applause is the sound of Sam's career being flushed down the commode. No loss in my book.

I have a feeling that Sam's advisors are telling him to hang in there and try to get an INdy 500 win so that he'll have better leverage against the Cup young'uns.

{FTG damage control mode}

Sham *should* get the call. Homoco got their payouts last year, and Gan******* the year before. Roger is due. And it would be nice if Yoda got a bone too. Maybe they won't leave then.

{/FTG damage control mode}

Pipe dreams.....
:shakehead

Tony George
03-29-05, 01:16 AM
{FTG damage control mode}

Sham *should* get the call. Homoco got their payouts last year, and Gan******* the year before. Roger is due. And it would be nice if Yoda got a bone too. Maybe they won't leave then.

{/FTG damage control mode}

Pipe dreams.....
:shakehead

Actually, according to the script... Danica wins and we all get to watch!!!

SurfaceUnits
03-31-05, 01:42 AM
SamC

We have to get a clue. You do not run in Phoenix during baseball spring training. :shakehead