MightySurfClam
02-26-03, 02:13 AM
Quals - 101,000 .2
PreRace - 120,000 .2
Race - 136,000 .2
Replay - 38,000 .1

rabbit
02-26-03, 02:19 AM
Since we were going directly head-to-head with a NASCAR race that was on network TV, I'll take what we can get.

BTW - Thanks for being such a concerned CART fan.:rolleyes:

MightySurfClam
02-26-03, 02:31 AM
Id have posted the ratings whether it was 136thousand or 136million

Kiwifan
02-26-03, 05:10 AM
Am I counted in that Clam? ;) Rain, hail, snow or shine I'm there in front of the TV be it 4.30am or midnight. Ah, but then I'm a CART fan not a numbers fan. ;) I know where your coming from but I don't think you'll get too many of us rising to your bait. Oh wait, I am! :D :D

Cheers, Rusty.

MightySurfClam
02-26-03, 05:41 AM
No, because its only US TV ratings.

Mike Kellner
02-26-03, 09:56 AM
At our house the rating was 100. I even skipped lunch with the family so I could watch the end. Whatever the rating, it has to be one of the better ones for Speed, who have no problem running shows on waxing cars or putting gas tanks in boats, which have to draw way smaller audiences. I have 77 channels of cable, as do most, so the chances of big numbers are small. O Riely Factor, which is one of the higest rated shows on cable, only gets a .7.

Speed has coverage that is several orders of magnitutde better than the Mouse & Lemming network even did. I loved it.

mnkywrch
02-26-03, 09:58 AM
Hey, is Nielsen still using TiVo numbers in their counts?

I thought they were for a while...

FortyOneFord
02-27-03, 03:13 AM
I wonder what the ratings for earl quals and replays will be? Oops, nevermind..............

nrc
02-27-03, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Hey, is Nielsen still using TiVo numbers in their counts?

I thought they were for a while...

Tivo has an agreement with Nielsen, but it's not clear just what they're doing with it. Initially it was not so much to use TiVo numbers in their counts as to not exclude TiVo viewers from their sample data the way they do VCR viewers. They also evidently have a pool of TiVo users that they use for research purposes. My guess is that they're comparing their numbers against TiVo's to determine how the numbers differ and why.

As for the ratings themselves, they're disappointing to be sure. It's hard to draw an apples to apples comparison, since this race was up against NASCAR, but with more households on SPEED this year and bad weather across much of the country CART really had to be hoping for more.

One question is did they launch the Fox Sports en Espanol coverage for this race? If so, I could see that bleeding off 50-60k viewers, which would have at least gotten the numbers close to last season's average. The problem is that with SPEED adding households, CART really needs to improve on their average from last year.

racer2c
02-27-03, 04:41 PM
Main stream marketing is the only answer in reaching potential viewers.

A co-worker of mine, who isn't a race fan and has never watched a race, mentioned that he recently watched Driven twice on some premium cabal channel. He claimed it was like watching a train wreck, ut that he found himself 'getting into te race scenes'.
I told him the real deal is 100x better. If he saw a commercial during some hot, prime time show, he'd probably tune in.

MightySurfClam
02-27-03, 04:56 PM
Ive often wondered if something like HBO might be the way to go. They cover WC Boxing and have some sports magazine pieces. It wouldnt interfer with their evening lineup, they have good produciton and marketing skills, and a large and rather advanced audience