PDA

View Full Version : Marlo Klain: "I had more people at my wedding."

DaveL
03-20-05, 12:35 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/irl/news?slug=notebook&prov=st&type=lgns

Go about halfway down :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jervis Tetch 1
03-20-05, 12:41 AM
Coming from an I*L shill like Klein is a surprise, but certainly not that attendance figure.

Everything about that race from the attendance to the racing sucked. Hear that lemmings? It SUCKED and SWALLOWED. :rofl:

DaveL
03-20-05, 12:45 AM
What'll the Lemmings, especially Defender get a wind of this!

What's the over/under on how many pages the Meltdown will run?

trish
03-20-05, 12:56 AM
So much for Velvet Revolver.

RusH
03-20-05, 01:21 AM
what happened to the main event?
Silver Crown :gomer:

oh that`s right :rofl:

Dave99
03-20-05, 01:46 AM
Why did VR have to be punished like that? :cry:

They would have been better served playing at the LBGP to an appreciative crowd. :thumbup:

pchall
03-20-05, 08:06 AM
Unseasonably cool weather with threatening rain in the forecast had a detrimental effect on the attendance as under 15,000 people were in the grandstands. Last year's race on a Sunday drew an estimated 30,000.

Robin Miller of SPEED TV estimated the crowd at 5,000.

Last year when they reported 30K for Phoenix I figured it had to be more like under 15K. Now that they report under 15K, Robin Miller must be right!

spinner26
03-20-05, 11:16 AM
http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/230579-3798-106.html

"The race was seen by an estimated 15,000 people, one of the smallest crowds in the track's history, which dates to 1964."

curt.cavin@indystar.com
Curt Cavin at (317) 444-6409.

What a fricken MORON, a person flipping through the channels could tell there wasn’t 6,000 much less 15,00.

Kool-aid kills!

fourrunner
03-20-05, 11:24 AM
Curt Cavin hasn't had credibility as a writer among real race fans in years..... many years !

SurfaceUnits
03-20-05, 11:46 AM
ensign14

I could imagine the headlines if there was a big crash - "car goes into crowd, one injured".

And this one from Mr. Moron

It's painful that a metro area with 3.5 million people and a ton of vacationers and a really neat race track can't turn out even a middling crowd.

Maybe if they had a reason to turn out, they would...moron

Spicoli
03-20-05, 12:11 PM
**** them. hahahahahhaaaaaaaaaa

losers. :gomer:

DaveL
03-20-05, 12:14 PM
I could imagine the headlines if there was a big crash - "car goes into crowd, one injured".

Naw. It would say, "Car goes into crowd. Many bleachers damaged."

SurfaceUnits
03-20-05, 12:17 PM
According to the Phoenix Sunday newspaper, there were 125,000 people at Luke air force base on Saturday for the air show. maybe, brian brainfart should bring back the irl airshow.

DaveL
03-20-05, 12:28 PM
According to the Phoenix Sunday newspaper, there were 125,000 people at Luke air force base on Saturday for the air show.

Looking it up in my extensive book of Official Lemming Excuses Why No One Showed Up Or Tuned In, this one falls under #833/D(3).

SurfaceUnits
03-20-05, 12:39 PM
It's hilarious and pathetic that a racing seereese can't attract an audience from a metro area with 3.5 million people and a ton of vacationers and a really neat race track.

Fio1
03-20-05, 12:48 PM
The L.A Times said, Hornish won at one of the least attended Indy Car races in history. Way to go Tony G!!!!!!! :laugh:

Racewriter
03-20-05, 12:58 PM
The newest lemming scapegoat is the media. Apparently, they blame all those anti-IRL articles for the fact that nobody showed. :cry:

DaveL
03-20-05, 01:02 PM
This just in!

My sources have just confirmed that effictive immedietely the .1RL will be using a new marketing slogan after tweaking the original.

"Apathy Amplified"

Spicoli
03-20-05, 01:03 PM
This just in!

My sources have just confirmed that effictive immedietely the .1RL will be using a new marketing slogan after tweaking the original.

"Apathy Amplified"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:beer me bitch:

spinner26
03-20-05, 01:04 PM
When will congress get involved and stop this debacle? I've had enough already, to keep trying to feed this dying series is a waste of resources. Just think of all the dollars wasted that could have gone to a good street or road course race. I'm calling my congressman.

eiregosod
03-20-05, 01:31 PM
This just in!
"Apathy Amplified"

fabulous!! :D

its all the fault for the grown up generation Xers who just dont give a sh--

dando
03-20-05, 01:46 PM
RM's take:

http://speedtv.com/commentary/15770/

There were several reasons for the pathetic turnout. It was Saturday afternoon, spitting rain off and on during the morning, and the sun didn't come out until an hour after Sam Hornish Jr. drove into victory lane.

Baseball's spring training is all over Tempe and Scottsdale, plus the LPGA tourney is also playing here this weekend. And a little thing called the NCAA basketball tourney was on television -- starting an hour before the green flag dropped at PIR.

Of course the Academy Awards were just a few weeks ago (sorry, that was the lame-ass excuse from an IRL official for a poor turnout at Fontana, Calif. two years ago).

That last one is priceless. :thumbup:

-Kevin

nrc
03-20-05, 01:57 PM
Har. Wasn't Phoenix on the lemming "attendance growth" list as of last year? Wasn't it one of those venues that the IRL was supposedly turning around in spite of all the damage done by CART?

Wonder if the lemmings will have their seat counters out in force at St. Pete or if they'll just be hoping for a three day attendance figure fluffed up with enough free tickets to take some stink off their disasters at Homestead and Phoenix.

Toyota and Honda need to pack up and leave. They're the enablers that are allowing Tony George to continue his destruction of Amercan open wheel racing.

TKGAngel
03-20-05, 01:58 PM
Have the TV ratings come out yet for the race?

DaveL
03-20-05, 01:59 PM

It takes a while to set up an electron microscope.

spinner26
03-20-05, 02:09 PM

They are in the photoshop right now please be patient, it could be a while.

sundaydriver2
03-20-05, 02:27 PM
Toyota and Honda need to pack up and leave. They're the enablers that are allowing Tony George to continue his destruction of Amercan open wheel racing.

:thumbup:

When this happens, it will be the best day in American open wheel history.

Spicoli
03-20-05, 02:35 PM

amen brotther. all they are doing is throwing money down the toilet.

i will NEVER buy another jap car as long as i live.

destruction, that says it all.

Racewriter
03-20-05, 04:05 PM
BTW - the hard core Tonyboys have said for years that the IRL needs to run on Saturdays, away from Nextel Cup.

They got their wish.

TKGAngel
03-20-05, 04:26 PM
They are in the photoshop right now please be patient, it could be a while.

And no matter what they are, the series will still be showing a tremendous growth in viewers. ;)

DaveL
03-20-05, 04:29 PM
According my data, unofficially the .1RL has now reached the point where it has more excuses for the lack of fans than actual fans itself. However, I'd appreciete it someone else could run the numbers as well to insure I didn't make a mistake somewhere.

TRDfan
03-20-05, 04:32 PM
Toyota and Honda need to pack up and leave.

Agreed.

nrc
03-20-05, 04:35 PM
And no matter what they are, the series will still be showing a tremendous growth in viewers. ;)

I predict a 150% increase in viewership by dogs age 3-5 whose owners have left the TV on to keep them company while away.

DagoFast
03-20-05, 04:41 PM
I wanna see the video of Marlo's honeymoon. :eek:

DaveL
03-20-05, 04:46 PM
What makes Marlo's statement even more embarrassing is that her Aunt Eunice and Uncle Mortimer and their family couldn't even make it. Add them and the difference in crowds is even bigger. :eek:

Jervis Tetch 1
03-20-05, 04:49 PM
The L.A Times said, Hornish won at one of the least attended Indy Car races in history. Way to go Tony G!!!!!!! :laugh:
Leave it to Shav Glick to tell the truth. Either him or Martin Henderson.

Peter Venkman
03-20-05, 06:30 PM
My daughter, who works for Roger Penske, went to the IRL "show" at Phoenix yesterday and commented on how few people were there. My observation, living in Phoenix, that It was apparent that anyone connected with the Penske organizations (Penske Corp., UAG, Penske Capital Partners, Penske Rentals, etc., were prompted to attend, with free tickets, as well as most people in any automotive position in Phoenix, or anyone who has ever heard of Phoenix International Raceway, or is on any newspaper subscription list, or might be on any mailing list in the Phoenix area, they too, were offered free tickiets and still no one shows up.

Surely you might think that the big guys like Penske and the others are only going to take this "dog and pony show" for only so long.

nrc
03-20-05, 06:46 PM
Did Marlboro do their usual hat and ticket giveaway?

Brickman
03-20-05, 07:28 PM

At least she didn't qote them. " Hello Mother ****ers, we play ****in rock and roll".

And people thought mothers ran to the exits when they had those 4.0 engines :eek: it's a good thing they didn't fire up the band until 5:00.

racer2c
03-20-05, 08:49 PM
Who owns PIR now? Is it an ISC track? I remember the old owner was quick to jump on the IRL bandwagon.

pchall
03-20-05, 09:04 PM
Who owns PIR now? Is it an ISC track? I remember the old owner was quick to jump on the IRL bandwagon.

ISC has it now. The previous owner was named Jobe and was forever pissed at CART that they controlled the TV package and got the better part of the naming rights for the race on the broadcasts. He was always selling lots of track signage for stuff like Checker Stores or Slick 50 and lining the main straight with it. He was always pissed that he couldn't sell the naming rights exclusively.

I wonder what he made of the computer generated Northern Light signage covering the empty stands for the IRL?

CART T. Katz
03-20-05, 09:35 PM
there was a race on saturday?

no, really. i had no idea. and i was on my spring break vegging in front of the teevee this week.

fourrunner
03-20-05, 10:58 PM
At least she didn't qote them. " Hello Mother ****ers, we play ****in rock and roll".

And people thought mothers ran to the exits when they had those 4.0 engines :eek: it's a good thing they didn't fire up the band until 5:00.

Velvet Revolver does seem to be an odd choice for a so called Family Friendly Series, considering the various members reputations...

I'm just curious if they got paid in Cash, or with some of the stuff still laying around Tony's place !

It sure would have helped the bottom line ! ;)

racer2c
03-20-05, 11:05 PM
They were probably pissed they were playing in front of 50 people. Tony promised them tens of thousands I'm sure.

DagoFast
03-20-05, 11:52 PM
My daughter, who works for Roger Penske.

Good God man! Surely she could find a reputable job somewhere!

Until then just tell people she works in a crackhouse or meth lab :laugh:

oddlycalm
03-21-05, 12:47 AM
I predict a 150% increase in viewership by dogs age 3-5 whose owners have left the TV on to keep them company while away. And not just dogs. I came back from going to Fry's for some computer parts and found our parrot Manny being assaulted by EARL vision. :saywhat: I quickly changed it back to the Food Channel for him, it's his favorite. I had no idea the EARL was racing.

oc

rjohnson999
03-21-05, 12:49 AM
Piano player in a whorehouse is still my favorite.

Good God man! Surely she could find a reputable job somewhere!

Until then just tell people she works in a crackhouse or meth lab :laugh:

Brickman
03-21-05, 12:52 AM
They were probably pissed they were playing in front of 50 people. Tony promised them tens of thousands I'm sure.

No there were far far more than 50 people... the crowd was pretty deep for the concert.

I would say only a dozen or so headed out after the first expletives. The music sucked too much to keep me there... I could still hear the #@#!^ from the comfort of my 5th wheel. Noise.

Spicoli
03-21-05, 12:54 AM
... I could still hear the #@#!^ from the comfort of my 5th wheel................

Whooooa. Dude gots hsi own 5th Wheel. :thumbup:

Brickman
03-21-05, 02:17 AM
Whooooa. Dude gots hsi own 5th Wheel. :thumbup:

Yea...

http://images.rvamerica.net/mfg/37/gal/thumb_gal_2132c65f_eac5_48ed_8ec27b7f4183fedf.jpg

And if I didn't already spring break plans at the beach (San Elijo) I would camp it here in April, cheaper than the Renai$$ance @ LongBeach. http://www.goldenshorerv.com/

eiregosod
03-21-05, 04:29 PM
ISC has it now. The previous owner was named Jobe and was forever pissed at CART that they controlled the TV package and got the better part of the naming rights for the race on the broadcasts. He was always selling lots of track signage for stuff like Checker Stores or Slick 50 and lining the main straight with it. He was always pissed that he couldn't sell the naming rights exclusively.

I wonder what he made of the computer generated Northern Light signage covering the empty stands for the IRL?

I'm sure he was pissed as it covered up a few fans!

like it or not , there is a 2nd NASCAR race at phoenix this year. I dont think the track cartes that no one went to the earl race. their balance sheet will double this year thanks to nascar

Racewriter
03-21-05, 05:10 PM
I dont think the track cartes that no one went to the earl race.

Having met and worked with ISC on the business side, I can tell you that they do care very much. I'd bet they dropped around a half-mil on that fiasco this weekend, and that's real money.

eiregosod
03-21-05, 05:29 PM
Having met and worked with ISC on the business side, I can tell you that they do care very much. I'd bet they dropped around a half-mil on that fiasco this weekend, and that's real money.

I'm sure the Phoenix track president will have a lot to answer for when the ISC board meets :laugh:

RacinM3
03-21-05, 06:15 PM
Leave it to Shav Glick to tell the truth. Either him or Martin Henderson.

Glick had some great lines in his story on Sunday, as follows:

Headline:

Hornish Holds Off Crowd at Phoenix

2nd headline:

His victory in the XM Indy 500 is the 13th of his IRL career, but not many are there to see it.

One of the smallest crowds in Indy Racing League history, graciously estimated at between 15,000 and 18,000

The smaller than usual attendance was caused by a number of things, including the decision to race on Saturday instead of the traditional Sunday, the fact that budget-minded race fans are waiting for NASCAR to fill the seats here next month, a chilly morning that saw sprinkles in parts of the Valley of the Sun and a general malaise that has infected the IRL for years.

Racing Truth
03-21-05, 06:19 PM
These quotes, esp. Marlo's, are classic.

oddlycalm
03-21-05, 07:26 PM
These quotes, esp. Marlo's, are classic. Yep, Marlo scored a direct hit. Since SI put TG's brainfart on the list of the top 10 dumbest moves in sports over the last 50yrs it's been one good punchline after another. The laughs will come easier once that jackass and his "vision" hit the wall and retire from the field in shame.

oc

pchall
03-21-05, 08:21 PM
I'm sure he was pissed as it covered up a few fans!

It was really funny when you could see the heads of fans sitting "under" the digital signage, and even funnier when the heads and torso were walking "through" it.

RichK
03-21-05, 08:56 PM
I'd just like to round out the latest one-liners from the racing press with:

"Onion Gum"

Thank you.

SteveH
03-21-05, 09:16 PM
Had Marlo aired a tape of her wedding night, I would imagine more people would have viewed that as well.

DaveL
03-21-05, 10:45 PM
Had Marlo aired a tape of her wedding night, I would imagine more people would have viewed that as well.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Steve with the offensive rebound and the slam dunk!

Napoleon
04-03-05, 12:00 PM
The original link is linking me to a Bruce Martin article. I hate that p!mp. Now I feel like I have to shower after reading his stuff.

This just in!

"Apathy Amplified"

LMAO

By the way, was the race that poorly attended. Too funny.

Remind me again, why was the IRL formed?