PDA

View Full Version : Sebring & why I have issues w/ ALMS

Racing Truth
03-19-05, 08:32 PM
Well, I watched about 4 1/2 of the 1st 6 hours of Sebring.

1. The cars are wicked fast.

2. The cars are sweet, great to watch and listen.

3. I don't need to watch the rest of it.

With the Dyson cars doing their usual thing, the outcome was basically settled halfway through. Sure, I'm not sure which Audi will win, but it WILL be an Audi. One of the 'Vettes will win GT1, and I just don't give a crap about the P2s, as that class has been a thorough joke.

So, great cars to be sure, but, and this might make me unenlightened, I like to watch a race w/o being 90% certain who will win before it starts.

Carry on.

cart7
03-19-05, 08:35 PM
I just like watching great the road racing and the Astons.

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-05, 08:43 PM
It only took 9 hours for a Sebring thread to appear on OC, yet some of you guys couldn't give updates on the IRL race soon enough...

It has been an ok race, but I've also had nothing else to do today. What is with the sides of the Courages, why is there such high ground clearance?

FCYTravis
03-19-05, 08:47 PM
That's so it's easier for the corner-workers to get alongside and push the car back to the pits :laugh:

P2 has been a disaster this race... this class always looks promising and ends up a complete bust. Did anyone see Clint Field's expression of absolute disgust after he climbed out of his stricken Lola B2K/40? I think he was about to break something...

GT1 is getting some good drama right now though - Prodrive vs. Corvette, here we go, mano a mano, three hours to go... :thumbup:

P1, the Audis romp as expected. I don't think anyone seriously expected the Dyson Boys to really challenge - though it was nice to have a bit of hope for awhile. I really feel for Rob Dyson... he's got to be just so frustrated with the cars letting him down time after time.

GT2 - well, it's great to see the Jobs broken - someone besides them can win for the first time in awhile... Peterson-White Lightning deserves this.

Methanolandbrats
03-19-05, 08:48 PM
It only took 9 hours for a Sebring thread to appear on OC, yet some of you guys couldn't give updates on the IRL race soon enough...

It has been an ok race, but I've also had nothing else to do today. What is with the sides of the Courages, why is there such high ground clearance? That's because the IMSA Race is still on and interesting. And the IRL is an easy, simplistic target.

Racing Truth
03-19-05, 08:48 PM
That's so it's easier for the corner-workers to get alongside and push the car back to the pits :laugh:

:laugh: Should be mandated for all P2s.

pchall
03-19-05, 08:59 PM
Well, I watched about 4 1/2 of the 1st 6 hours of Sebring.

So, great cars to be sure, but, and this might make me unenlightened, I like to watch a race w/o being 90% certain who will win before it starts.

Carry on.

It's an endurance race, not some kind of motorized game of Chutes and Ladders. :shakehead

And other than that, what have you thought of last few years of F1?

FCYTravis
03-19-05, 09:08 PM
Three laps, three hours... can Johnny O' and the C6-R keep the Aston Martins from stealing this Sebring win?

Ian James in the Miracle Courage will take the win in Prototype 2 in two laps. The last car running.

Wait, OMG, Jeff Bucknum wants to win the Indy 500... so much for "pure road racing."

Damn, I love the night :thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
03-19-05, 09:15 PM
Ya, the Bucknum interview sucked...don't need to be reminded of that crap.

FCYTravis
03-19-05, 09:20 PM
Miracle Motorsports just won P2 - by passing the broken former leader. They're the last P2 on track, so we have our first official winner of the night. Congrats to Miracle - a fantastic effort.

EDwardo
03-19-05, 10:00 PM
Miracle Motorsports just won P2 - by passing the broken former leader. They're the last P2 on track, so we have our first official winner of the night. Congrats to Miracle - a fantastic effort.
Actually, according to the commentary on Speed, by rule you have to be on the track and running at the finish in order to win. Seems odd though since they are the last car in class running.

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-05, 10:06 PM

That is pathetic. Its too bad Ryan and his team didn't run today, I bet they could've won P2.

Methanolandbrats
03-19-05, 10:17 PM
That is pathetic. Its too bad Ryan and his team didn't run today, I bet they could've won P2. :rolleyes:

The interview with Alex Job and the Bell Micro guy was interesting. Bringing zillions of bucks to the "best racing series there is". "We WERE sponsoring Scott Sharp in the IRL". :thumbup: I think we hit bottom last year in American Motorsports and it's uphill from here. The 20 year cycle.

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-05, 10:22 PM
:rolleyes:

The interview with Alex Job and the Bell Micro guy was interesting. Bringing zillions of bucks to the "best racing series there is". "We WERE sponsoring Scott Sharp in the IRL". :thumbup: I think we hit bottom last year in American Motorsports and it's uphill from here. The 20 year cycle.

I was talking about a friend of mine who finished second in every P2 race he started last year despite being on the smallest team on the paddock. They finished races, which is something the other P2 teams seem to have problems with.

And FYI, they still do sponsor Scott Sharp. And I don't buy the 20 year cycle theory because while the down periods in the past for racing were caused by absolute ignorance by those who are supposed to be promoting the series, they didn't have someone who does understand how to promote such as NASCAR to compete against.

Methanolandbrats
03-19-05, 10:28 PM
A lot of people did'nt believe in the germ theory either....did'nt matter, the germs do.

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-05, 10:33 PM
Want to bet on it? Chances are both of us will be dead in 20 years anyway so its not like there is much to lose. :)

Methanolandbrats
03-19-05, 10:37 PM
Want to bet on it? Chances are both of us will be dead in 20 years anyway so its not like there is much to lose. :) Show up at the 2013 Champcar or ALMS race at RA and I'll buy as much food as you can eat and as many beers as you can drink. :D

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-05, 10:39 PM
Show up at the 2013 Champcar or ALMS race at RA and I'll buy as much food as you can eat and as many beers as you can drink. :D

More like you'll be buying me cheap beer and bratwurst at the NASCAR-Am race at the 1.5 mile Road America Speedway. :eek: :rofl: :(

FCYTravis
03-19-05, 11:18 PM
Saleen :( :( :( :cry:

DaveL
03-19-05, 11:24 PM
Without commenting on the qualilty of the race, it's not easy to broadcast. The track, save for the floodlights in the turns, is basically in total darkness. Watching a bunch of head, side, and tailights driving around does not make for compelling TV. All they can show are in-cars which with all of the darkness show nothing except for dashboard and tailights of slower cars, and high overhead shots.

nrc
03-20-05, 02:41 PM
One of the 'Vettes will win GT1,

According to the box score Aston Martin won its first time out. Quite an achievement in a development year. Should we start the countdown clock to GM's withdrawal from GT1?

rjohnson999
03-20-05, 06:01 PM
In this case, I think that would be premature. The Vettes had good speed and at least one of their problems involved contact with one of the P1 Audis. That's not the kind of situation that forces withdrawl. Now, if they'd finished where the Maserati managed, I'd agree with you.

According to the box score Aston Martin won its first time out. Quite an achievement in a development year. Should we start the countdown clock to GM's withdrawal from GT1?

Racing Truth
03-21-05, 02:55 PM
I'll read the rest of the thread later, but I feel like a total jackazz right now. :o I was dead wrong, as the 'Vettes broke down, the Aston winning GT1, and the Audis putting on a compelling finish.

I WAS WRONG.

I apologize to everyone here, and a lesson has been reinforced: Don't judge a race until it is over.

Steve99
03-22-05, 12:18 PM
Aw, man. Apologizing before I could post. Oh, well. :)

P.S. I've noticed that in CCWS the Lola always win. Sure, I'm not sure which Lola will win, but it WILL be an Lola. How boring. ;)