PDA

View Full Version : Marco in IRL?

race chica
03-18-05, 11:51 PM
http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=4198

Thursday Mar 17, 2005

Marco Andretti to make Menards Infiniti Pro Series Debut at St. Petersburg event: Marco Andretti, the 18-year-old son of Andretti Green Racing co-owner Michael Andretti and grandson of Mario Andretti, will make his Menards Infiniti Pro Series debut April 3 in the Menards Infiniti Pro Series Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

Marco Andretti, who won his first professional driving championship in 2004, will be behind the wheel of the No. 26 Vonage Dallara/Infiniti/Firestone, which has been entered by Andretti Green Racing. The car is being prepared by Keith Duesenberg Racing and will be engineered by open-wheel racing veteran Tony Cicale.

"I'm looking forward to it," Marco Andretti said. "I know it's going to be a big challenge, but it's a great opportunity. Hopefully, we'll have a good car and can put on a good show for everybody."

anyone else miss this yesterday?

Peter Venkman
03-19-05, 12:35 AM
http://www.indycar.com/news/story.php?story_id=4198

anyone else miss this yesterday?

Does anybody really care?

race chica
03-19-05, 12:50 AM

If no one really cares then why is there an "The Others" section on Off Camber to discuss things other than OWRS.

if you dont care and just want to bash any other racing besides Champ Car please stick to the "Champcar World Series Forum"

Do you really want this website to turn into the ChampCar version of the Indy Star forums?

JMHO

fourrunner
03-19-05, 01:20 AM
Michael Andretti has so much faith in the IRL that he has been talking about Marco driving in the NASCAR Busch Series !

The Andretti Dynasty begins & Ends with Mario ... If Michael hadn't worked so hard to be an incredibly dislikable sourpuss who totally disliked his Fans and showed that contempt on a regular basis perhaps his following would be greater ... I've witnessed this personally on a number of occasions over his entire career.... If you asked for his autograph, and he gave it to you, he made you feel dirty for asking, just by the insipid look on his face.

For Marco's sake he better take after Mario, Dad is no example to follow if he wishes to survive in this Celebrity driven Sport ... at least learn to "Fake It".
Michael you might say is being honest with his rude and unacceptable behavior ... but Fans like the feeling that their favorite driver "might" like them, even though the reality is just bull**** !

There is little chance that Marco could achieve what Mario did ... Open wheel has been weakened to much, primarily by the likes of Michael Andretti ... and NASCAR is too competetive !

Besides if he does stay in the IRL, he is more likely to end his career suddenly !

RaceGrrl
03-19-05, 01:23 AM
Chica, it's just true that some people don't care. There's no worry that this site will turn into the Indystar forums. You posted a topic that you care about. Others might not care. They're free to post that they don't care about it. Nobody is breaking the rules here.

Lizzerd
03-19-05, 01:25 AM
Hopefully Grandpa can talk some sense into the kid.

Lizzerd
03-19-05, 01:26 AM

Have a bad day today, Peter?

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-05, 02:19 AM
Before y'all get too bent out of shape, remember that Marco is running 10 road races in the most popular open-wheel ladder series in the US as well...

Maybe we'll luck out and it'll turn out that the personality gene was only recessive in Michael. ;)

trish
03-19-05, 03:56 AM
Marco has already said he will race for his father's team. I don't see any reason to lose any sleep over it.

NismoZ
03-19-05, 01:34 PM
It IS disappointing, though. I had his career path all mapped out for him a LONG time ago, but "circumstances" have intervened. The path has been muddied. You bitter people beware, this young driver has incredible skill and potential and for you to hold his name against him is just wrong. I wish him nothing but success, starting with beating Unser and Luyendyk at St. Pete!

NismoZ
03-19-05, 01:40 PM
And, you think he doesn't want to win at Indy some day? So does our champion. Is there any doubt N/H will have TWO cars there this year? The Champ won't be left behind a second time!

Amanda B.'s Mom
03-19-05, 02:21 PM
From my experience, Marco appears a lot more like Mario than Michael. He has the potential for a womderful and successful career in racing. I just hope he follows in his grandfathers footsteps and not his fathers.

racer2c
03-19-05, 02:26 PM
I saw this piece yesterday and while there is no doubt where Marco will be 'lead', but Marco is also very adament about being a road racer and his dad has said many times that he is supporting that goal. I do believe Mikey is one of the ultimate Kool Aid drinkers and probably thinks the IRL will be at all of the worthy road courses in a few years anyway.

I wonder how the IPS car will be as a road course trainer. They do have 450hp. That's double an Atlantic car.

Sean O'Gorman
03-19-05, 03:19 PM
Wasn't there a rumor that the Nissan Telefonica World Series cars are basically the same as the IPS cars?

http://www.worldseriesrpm.com/2002/data/fotogaleria/fotos_valencia/max/06.jpg

They seem to be pretty much a waste on ovals (ooh, flat out at 180 around a 2 mile oval in downforce-heavy open wheel car, real tough), maybe they are more appropriate for road racing.

FCYTravis
03-19-05, 03:23 PM
Yes, they are the same.

NismoZ
03-19-05, 03:36 PM
I echo Mom's sentiments...Marco spent a lot of time along side Mario after '94 as Mike continued his career. I think a LOT depends on the success (or not) of the IRL road racing experiment. I can't believe Grampa would allow Marco's road racing skills to lapse but he will TOTALLY support the kid's drive toward the Speedway.

JohnnyQ
03-19-05, 04:34 PM
He'll be real good. He's been out spending the competion 10 fold since karting.

dando
03-19-05, 05:43 PM
No real surprise here....Rahole jr. will joining him soon. Kinda funny considering that daddy couldn't race a full season in those things (I refuse to refer to them cars). One would think dad and gramps would be trying to get Marco prepped for F1.

-Kevin

cart7
03-19-05, 05:55 PM
Gee, is it any wonder that Whiney just made that statement that the earl needs to get on as many road and streets as possible? Duh, Gramps and the kid have probably been more than a little concerned that the first Andretti racing teams is a member of a oval racing series that regularily sends guys to the hospital on stretchers.

dando
03-19-05, 08:06 PM
Of course the funniest part of the article is the gomervision quote from Mikey:

"Marco will get a chance to run a competitive car on a great circuit in front of a huge crowd of new fans in St. Petersburg."

:saywhat: :laugh: :shakehead :gomer:

-Kevin

Methanolandbrats
03-19-05, 08:30 PM
FMA is the same as FBR, FTG and Sammich....trying to make sure the kin has a ride. I don't care if Mini FMA is fast, when the IRL folds he'll be competing with a Global pool of drivers, so then we'll see.

NismoZ
03-20-05, 12:38 PM
Rahal 3rd, Marco 19th (of 42) at Sebring Star Mazda event.

Spicoli
03-20-05, 01:11 PM
what i don;t get is how anybody thinks the name andretti means anything but money grubbing sell out. mario included.

name one thing any of those jacktard(s) has done that didn't include somebody else's coin.

you heard me right. :gomer:

SurfaceUnits
03-20-05, 04:06 PM
Mario has sat back for 10 years and watched as ftg destroyed open wheel racing. He gets no pass here. :thumdown:

nrc
03-20-05, 04:23 PM
Mario has sat back for 10 years and watched as ftg destroyed open wheel racing. He gets no pass here. :thumdown:

I dunno about "sat back". He was quite verbal about his disdain for Tony George's league until his money grubbing son took the Yen and drank the Kool Aid.

Spicoli
03-20-05, 04:41 PM
I dunno about "sat back". He was quite verbal about his disdain for Tony George's league until his money grubbing son took the Yen and drank the Kool Aid.\

and while on the BoD for "Cart", he jumped in a crapwagon and attempted a triple backflip.
:shakehead

sorry, he can rot in "h" like the rest of the gomerati.

dando
03-20-05, 05:12 PM
I dunno about "sat back".

Correct. He was actively involved in C^RT's demise while on the BoD. He talked a good game, but his actions spoke louder. :thumdown:

-Kevin

Peter Venkman
03-20-05, 06:00 PM
If no one really cares then why is there an "The Others" section on Off Camber to discuss things other than OWRS.

if you dont care and just want to bash any other racing besides Champ Car please stick to the "Champcar World Series Forum"

Do you really want this website to turn into the ChampCar version of the Indy Star forums?

JMHO

"Does anybody really care?"

I have vivid memories of Jeff Andretti, who couldn't drive a nail, even with a carpenter's help, and the thought that just because you have a famous name and been given the very best competitive equipment means that you have a deserved future in the sport is nonsense, at best.

The fact that I believe that the series; the IRL, is nothing but a staged "show", has nothing to do with it. It would happen in any series.

It takes extraordinary money, in great gobs, or a family link, to get into professional racing, and there are many who belong there well before any heir to a legend, but that's been a fact for many years. So we'll see what Michael Andretti's son can do when the green flag drops; the BS surely stops.

Peter Venkman
03-20-05, 06:09 PM
Have a bad day today, Peter?

Not at all.

It just makes me laugh to think that somehow, this kid Marco, will have the "nads" of his grandfather. At best, he has about one fourth of his grandfather's genes, and knowing of the idiot son Michael, that might be very much in doubt too.

His father is an almost universally hated ignoramous, whose IQ is obviously is in mid- double digits (sub-par).

Bad day? Not at all.