PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Drivers Should Run the Series

L1P1
03-18-05, 08:25 PM
From the Deja Vu thread:

"We also don't feel a driver or Binford belong on the board."

I thought about this after reading some comments from the website of Jos "I-Thought-Brakes-Were..." Verstappen. He's lamenting that some Champ Car teams want even more money than some F1 teams. I don't know if that's true or not, but, such as in the case of Tagliani, we're constantly reminded of this 'unfortunate reality' - that drivers have to pay up to drive.

I had a conversation with a fellow Champ Car fan the other day and we were in agreement. If you're funding the entire team, why do you need a team owner? I've been enthusiastically supportive of team owners in the past but it's becoming clear that (perhaps with notable exceptions) owners are selling tickets to drivers much as Champ Car sells tickets to us.

I don't think there's any possible positive scenario (barring some that involve nudity) that could compare to the - admittedly impossible - prospect of Michael Schumacher coming to Champ Car, ala Mansell.

With a spec engine, all-but-spec chassis, spec tires, spec fuel, who holds the cards here?

racer2c
03-18-05, 08:57 PM
Well, the money comes from corporations. Maybe they should buy the teams. Then we could have micromanaging pencil pushers calling the shots.
Or, since it's really just a spec series, have one big mega-corp buy it and divi out out the hardware.
Or, maybe the government could buy it and then all of us tax payers would own it and we would have to get a bill passed to make a rule change and drivers would be elected and serv two year terms
:gomer:

Methanolandbrats
03-18-05, 09:17 PM
You need a team owner because they have business skills. Most of the time when the monkey in the firesuit trys to run a team they fauk it up.

L1P1
03-18-05, 10:13 PM
You need a team owner because they have business skills.

Is the guy who's bringing $4M in sponsorship a businessman? Or is that the guy who's waiting for someone else to do it for him?

Methanolandbrats
03-18-05, 10:36 PM
Is the guy who's bringing $4M in sponsorship a businessman? Or is that the guy who's waiting for someone else to do it for him? Think Emmo.

nrc
03-18-05, 11:40 PM
I think it's important do distinguish between drivers who simply bring money and those with talent who also happen to either have or be able to raise money. In spite of the loss of Jourdain and Carpentier this year's field is shaping up to be as good as or better than last years.

It's pretty evident that the owners are doing a lot deal brokering behind the scenes to make that happen. I don't know that there are any drivers out there that could run the series and make that happen on their own.

Ankf00
03-18-05, 11:50 PM
emmo > you :gomer:

too bad he never got CART back to brasil like he hoped... but it wasn't for lack of ability or effort. if a dumb****'s in your way (TG, or in this case, the mayor) you're fux0red either way.

mueber
03-21-05, 08:26 AM
You need a team owner because they have business skills. Most of the time when the monkey in the firesuit trys to run a team they fauk it up.

I’m on the fence about this issue. If these team owners are such good businessmen, you’d think they might at least try to acquire some sponsorship. OTOH, if the sponsors are not interested in the SERIES, no matter how good owners are at business, the team is just a hobby. So ride buying has emerged as the short-term solution.

BTW, give Emmo a break. He could be over in the IRL selling his soul for Honda yen swearing Boy George is the second coming of Christ, like, well, you know. Instead, he’s chosen to do no harm.

JohnnyQ
03-21-05, 09:55 AM
Think Emmo.

Emmo is all about chasing the dime. He'll use your dime but don't ask for his. If CC is going to give people money for starting teams I'd rather see Mario get twice Emmos share.

As for the Brazilian race...maybe he can hold it in his orange groves?

Sean O'Gorman
03-21-05, 10:18 AM
Emmo is all about chasing the dime. He'll use your dime but don't ask for his. If CC is going to give people money for starting teams I'd rather see Mario get twice Emmos share.

As for the Brazilian race...maybe he can hold it in his orange groves?

:confused:

Mario is probably worse.

Methanolandbrats
03-21-05, 10:21 AM
My point is if Coyne can run a multicar team, why can't Emmo with his history and connections. The answer is Coyne is a good businessman and Emmo can't run a race team.

JohnnyQ
03-21-05, 10:37 AM
My point is if Coyne can run a multicar team, why can't Emmo with his history and connections. The answer is Coyne is a good businessman and Emmo can't run a race team.

Emmo can't run water.

mueber
03-21-05, 11:10 AM
Emmo can't run water.

If you mean, "Emerson is a lousy businessman", there is quite a bit of evidence to the contrary.