PDA

View Full Version : TSN.ca talks to Gentillozzi, Tagliani

devilmaster
03-16-05, 06:13 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=118580&hubName=auto_racing

Gentilozzi sets the record straight

Linda Lynch, Special to TSN.ca

3/16/2005

Alex Tagliani's release from Rocketsports Racing was simply a reflection of the financial realities of motorsport today, according to team owner Paul Gentilozzi.

In an exclusive interview with Gentilozzi for TSN.ca, Champ Car photojournalist Linda Lynch discovered that Tagliani's release had everything to do with the harsh reality of escalating costs in motorsports and a drivers ability to bring sponsorship dollars to the table.

"Alex and I knew last October 1 that we basically had to find a commercial partner to fund his drive for the upcoming season," Gentilozzi tells Lynch, who has covered the Champ Car series the past two years.

"We both worked very hard throughout November, December and January to find that support. In January we had three good sized deals on the table that provided that commercial support to his ride... a ride that both he and I very much wanted. Unfortunately those deals fell through."

Tagliani's spot on the team will likely be taken by former F1 test driver Timo Glock, who brings with him a reported $4-million sponsorship package. The "paid drive" approach is nothing new in motorsports and is commonplace in Formula 1 these days.

While Tagliani failed to find the necessary sponsorship dollars to secure a ride with Rocketsports, Gentilozzi - one of three series co-owners - says he's committed to seeing that Tagliani will race in the series in 2005.

"We have believed so much in each other from the beginning and it was very tough to have to face the fact that as of March 1st no substantial commercial partners were there to make his ride with Rocketsports possible," explained Gentilozzi. "When we realized the team could not produce the ride or sponsorship needed for Alex, we decided that we would do something else to make sure he had a ride to compete in the series."

"No damage has been done to our relationship. I look upon Alex as a son and a partner. I am somewhat amused that a story that is not factual is viewed to be credible. The columnist in question never spoke to Alex or to me. In fact, Alex told me that he never spoke to the guy and the story was based on some transcript of a radio interview."

Tagliani's racing future has been linked to HVM, formerly Herdez Competition, Walker Racing and Forsythe Racing.

Steve

Sean O'Gorman
03-16-05, 06:16 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050316/taggentilozzi_60892.jpg

Is that picture of Gentilozzi informing him of his release? ;)

devilmaster
03-16-05, 06:16 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=118551&hubName=auto_racing

Tagliani targets Forsythe

TSN.ca Staff

3/16/2005

Alex Tagliani has an idea of where he'd like to be racing in 2005 now that his job at Rocketsports has been sold out from under him.

After being linked to both HVM and Walker Racing, the 32 year old tells Autosport magazine a return engagement with Forsythe Racing would be the next best solution.

"I would like to be with Forsythe," Tagliani tells the magazine. "They always have a hell of a car. If there's even a slight chance for me to go there, I'll take it and be grateful for the rest of my life."

Forsythe currently have Paul Tracy confirmed for 2005 while Rodolfo Lavin's seat is likely dependent upon his Corona beer sponsorship returning.

Tagliani spent three seasons with the Forsythe Racing team from 2000-2002, teamming with fellow Quebecer Patrick Carpentier.

Ironically, Tagliani was forced out at Forsythe for budgetary reasons after the team signed Tracy for the 2003 season. He was then farmed out to Paul Gentilozzi's first year Rocketsports team while his contract was being paid by Gerald Forsythe.

Tagliani had a verbal agreement to return with Gentilozzi in 2005, however, several recent events have forced him out. Ryan Hunter-Reay was added to the team in a deal brokered by Champ Car owners in order to keep the promising young driver in the series. Gentilozzi's primary sponsor, Johnson Controls, has scaled back its financial committment to the team, making Timo Glock's arrival - alongwith $4-million in sponsorship - an attractive option.

Tagliani has been promised a ride in the Champ Car series this year after officials from Molson, one of the series' key promoters in Canada, made a pitch on his behalf.

Steve

race chica
03-16-05, 06:20 PM
http://images.tsn.ca/images/stories/20050316/taggentilozzi_60892.jpg

Is that picture of Gentilozzi informing him of his release? ;)

nah, he's just thinking this: "if i concentrate real hard then i can be adopted into the Increadable family and wont need to find a job"

hehe

jonovision_man
03-16-05, 06:57 PM
Interesting to see how many threads start with something from TSN these days, they seem to be paying more attention to the series than ever.

jono

JohnnyQ
03-16-05, 09:18 PM
Tag is the Sheckter of CC. No results with a good ride every year. I'd rather see another Canadian get the ride.

Jag_Warrior
03-16-05, 11:14 PM
"I am somewhat amused that a story that is not factual is viewed to be credible. The columnist in question never spoke to Alex or to me. In fact, Alex told me that he never spoke to the guy and the story was based on some transcript of a radio interview."

What columnist is he speaking of?

devilmaster
03-16-05, 11:16 PM
"I am somewhat amused that a story that is not factual is viewed to be credible. The columnist in question never spoke to Alex or to me. In fact, Alex told me that he never spoke to the guy and the story was based on some transcript of a radio interview."

What columnist is he speaking of?

Mcnutty, maybe?

http://www.autonet.ca/Motorsports/Story.cfm?Story=/Motorsports/Champ/2005/03/13/959482-sun.html

Steve