PDA

View Full Version : F1 engine video

oddlycalm
03-15-05, 03:18 PM
For those of you that haven't seen this, it's a video of an Arrows with the engine being revved with the car on the stand. Regardless of the car being a backmarker for seasons past, the video is impressive.
F1 engine (http://members.roadfly.org/AEsco48/F1_Engine_show_AEsco48.mpeg) Right click to download, or just click to watch.

oc

Methanolandbrats
03-15-05, 03:29 PM

KLang
03-15-05, 03:54 PM
WOW :eek:

I don't think I'd want to be standing as close to that thing as those guys were.

Audi_A4
03-15-05, 03:59 PM
I watched it from work without sound and it looks freaking cool! I cannot wait until I go home and can listen to it.

racer2c
03-15-05, 04:06 PM
I watched it from work without sound and it looks freaking cool! I cannot wait until I go home and can listen to it.

It's cool without sound....with sound it makes your hair on your neck stand up!

rabbit
03-15-05, 04:12 PM
:D :D :D :D

pchall
03-15-05, 04:20 PM
:D :D :D :D

Hey, you guys ought to link to the Mechachrome playing 'When the Saints Come Marching IN'.

Search for Chauffe2.mp3.mp2

Mr. Vengeance
03-15-05, 04:53 PM
Hey, you guys ought to link to the Mechachrome playing 'When the Saints Come Marching IN'.

Search for Chauffe2.mp3.mp2

http://web.telia.com/~u36118651/Chauffe2.mp3

RichK
03-15-05, 05:15 PM
Damn, that is impressive!

jonovision_man
03-15-05, 05:37 PM
WOW :eek:

I don't think I'd want to be standing as close to that thing as those guys were.

How about directly in front of it... hurtling down a narrow track toward a tire barrier at 350km/h! :)

jono

rabbit
03-15-05, 06:10 PM
http://web.telia.com/~u36118651/Chauffe2.mp3
http://www.designnews.com/article/CA276326.html

So how about an engine that sings? French technicians have programmed the controller for an Asiatech 10-cylinder, 750-hp Formula 1 engine (based on a Peugeot design), to run through various rpm/note ranges in the correct sequence to play a rousing sequence of musical notes. With five combustions per revolution at a frequency per second of 12/rpm [60/(5 x rpm)], the engine can produce revs for a particular note by multiplying the note's frequency by 12. For example, a 440 Hz A note needs 5,280 rpm and a C needs 3,139 rpm.

eiregosod
03-18-05, 02:44 PM
^ prolly how the TV can calculate the rpm by measuring the frequency of the engine sound.

its also how ABC measured sam hornish at 108% full throttle

ncmlj
03-24-05, 12:03 AM
Anyone have this saved that I could get it from? PLEASE!

rabbit
03-24-05, 12:19 AM
Anyone have this saved that I could get it from? PLEASE!
pm me with your email. I have both if you need them.

TorontoWorker
03-25-05, 12:01 AM
When I used to work the F1 race in Montreal (haven't done it for a few years) we used to walk down to the pits on the Friday nights and hang out in front of the pit doors and just watch the action and sounds. If you have never been closer to an F1 engine then your TV speakers then you are truly missing out.

What I found the most interesting aspect of F1 motors is the manufacturer reps do all the set-ups, adjustments (via a laptop) and they use a little joystick on the laptop to rev the engine. You can't even say the word loud - it has no meaning really. Closer to pain. The only other motorsport engine that truly rocks your world is Top Fuel/Funny Car - but even here this sound is *different*. Drag racing is sort of like there is an Alien in your chest and it's going to rip out of your chest and land four rows down on top of another fan and there is no Ridley Scott around. Drag racing is all about air pressure I think. F1 is about big dB trying to do Led Zeppelin *inside* your head.

F1 sounds seem to attack your nerve endings - I found my eye twitching while the engines were being run in.

What blew me away was the speed that the engine stops as soon as the techie moves his finger over a key. I mean it stops right NOW and this from some ungodly high rpm. It almost seems as if there is no momentum in the engine parts or that the compression won't allow one more inch of piston travel.

Even the start up of the motor is like a light switch being flicked to ON and the engine goes from zero to 19000rpm in a half second.

In the old days when we used to have F1 at Mosport, I would wander around the pits (tents!!!) as a kid when all the teams save Ferrari, were using Ford DFV's (kit car builders Enzo used to scream!).

In those days the engines wouldn't run below 4 grand and really didn't sound good or would run cleanly unless they revved up to around 8 grand. They would have flames come out the tailpipes on shut down and some would even have a bit of run on for a second or two. I clearly remember that the old DFV's seemed to be hard to start with some team's putting their hands over the stacks as they started the motors. No PC's then huh. The tach's were all Smiths style and looked weird the way the needles moved in a jerky way.

I did a lot of the turbo era at Montreal and remember the flame throwing BMW turbo four bangers. Holy crap batman - that cars on fire!!! Umm, not quite, sometimes but mostly the wastegate blowing open. We could FEEL the heat when they went by on the track, more so if you were the blueflagger like I was.

The Hart powered cars were real live bombs. We always knew we would get one per session somewhere on the track and it would be on fire as it parked. One year we had a lottery on picking which station would get the Hart powered BBQ. I think a Quebec crew won the bet that year. Hart were never able to cure the head gasket issues until towards the final year I heard they had a company in the UK make the head and the block out of one piece. I read where they accessed the heads using cutting tools and milling equipment from under the sump open area - and through this spot they did the final machining and install of the internals. Weird. The heads didn't leak anymore but the engine still sucked. BMW used to weld the heads to the block! The engines were sent to the smelter in Germany if they blew up in a big way. These were the days of 1600HP for qualifying sessions and eye stinging funny smelling fuels. Elf was the worst!!

Anyway I digress along memory lane by accident. The point is you have to get to an F1 race at least once in your life to just HEAR these engines. PlayStations and TV won't do it.

One final thought. I have a memory lanced into my brain of the 12cly Matra with it's designed on drugs exhaust pipe set up and bizarre gearbox just SCREAMING and WAILING up the backstraight at Mosport in the late 60's. The first time you ever heard it you thought someone dropped a cat into a blender. Because of the uphill nature of the straight and the length of it through the trees the sound seemed to just rise and rise and you would swear the car was going to blow up or take off. Something about the pipe set up, and weird gear set (straight cut?) made this car (either MS80 or MS120 - can't recall) the wildest sounding engine since I heard a sound bite of the old Auto Union 16 cly cars on tape one time. I can still hear the Matra today in my mind. It handled like crap. Oh well :rolleyes:

Sorry about the long post. I'm having a flash back, (not drug induced!) :rofl:

SteveH
03-25-05, 12:06 AM
Good point about modern day F1 engines. The sound is incredible. The first USGP, I stood at pit out without ear protection. I felt like my ears were bleeding. Intense sound. The TV broadcast isn't even close.

A few years ago I had a hearing test. 30% loss of high frequency sounds. :D

Methanolandbrats
03-25-05, 12:22 AM
When I used to work the F1 race in Montreal (haven't done it for a few years) we used to walk down to the pits on the Friday nights and hang out in front of the pit doors and just watch the action and sounds. If you have never been closer to an F1 engine then your TV speakers then you are truly missing out.

What I found the most interesting aspect of F1 motors is the manufacturer reps do all the set-ups, adjustments (via a laptop) and they use a little joystick on the laptop to rev the engine. You can't even say the word loud - it has no meaning really. Closer to pain. The only other motorsport engine that truly rocks your world is Top Fuel/Funny Car - but even here this sound is *different*. Drag racing is sort of like there is an Alien in your chest and it's going to rip out of your chest and land four rows down on top of another fan and there is no Ridley Scott around. Drag racing is all about air pressure I think. F1 is about big dB trying to do Led Zeppelin *inside* your head.

F1 sounds seem to attack your nerve endings - I found my eye twitching while the engines were being run in.

What blew me away was the speed that the engine stops as soon as the techie moves his finger over a key. I mean it stops right NOW and this from some ungodly high rpm. It almost seems as if there is no momentum in the engine parts or that the compression won't allow one more inch of piston travel.

Even the start up of the motor is like a light switch being flicked to ON and the engine goes from zero to 19000rpm in a half second.

In the old days when we used to have F1 at Mosport, I would wander around the pits (tents!!!) as a kid when all the teams save Ferrari, were using Ford DFV's (kit car builders Enzo used to scream!).

In those days the engines wouldn't run below 4 grand and really didn't sound good or would run cleanly unless they revved up to around 8 grand. They would have flames come out the tailpipes on shut down and some would even have a bit of run on for a second or two. I clearly remember that the old DFV's seemed to be hard to start with some team's putting their hands over the stacks as they started the motors. No PC's then huh. The tach's were all Smiths style and looked weird the way the needles moved in a jerky way.

I did a lot of the turbo era at Montreal and remember the flame throwing BMW turbo four bangers. Holy crap batman - that cars on fire!!! Umm, not quite, sometimes but mostly the wastegate blowing open. We could FEEL the heat when they went by on the track, more so if you were the blueflagger like I was.

The Hart powered cars were real live bombs. We always knew we would get one per session somewhere on the track and it would be on fire as it parked. One year we had a lottery on picking which station would get the Hart powered BBQ. I think a Quebec crew won the bet that year. Hart were never able to cure the head gasket issues until towards the final year I heard they had a company in the UK make the head and the block out of one piece. I read where they accessed the heads using cutting tools and milling equipment from under the sump open area - and through this spot they did the final machining and install of the internals. Weird. The heads didn't leak anymore but the engine still sucked. BMW used to weld the heads to the block! The engines were sent to the smelter in Germany if they blew up in a big way. These were the days of 1600HP for qualifying sessions and eye stinging funny smelling fuels. Elf was the worst!!

Anyway I digress along memory lane by accident. The point is you have to get to an F1 race at least once in your life to just HEAR these engines. PlayStations and TV won't do it.

One final thought. I have a memory lanced into my brain of the 12cly Matra with it's designed on drugs exhaust pipe set up and bizarre gearbox just SCREAMING and WAILING up the backstraight at Mosport in the late 60's. The first time you ever heard it you thought someone dropped a cat into a blender. Because of the uphill nature of the straight and the length of it through the trees the sound seemed to just rise and rise and you would swear the car was going to blow up or take off. Something about the pipe set up, and weird gear set (straight cut?) made this car (either MS80 or MS120 - can't recall) the wildest sounding engine since I heard a sound bite of the old Auto Union 16 cly cars on tape one time. I can still hear the Matra today in my mind. It handled like crap. Oh well :rolleyes:

Sorry about the long post. I'm having a flash back, (not drug induced!) :rofl: Sorry? WTF? Write a book, that was beautiful :thumbup:

oddlycalm
03-25-05, 12:35 AM
a company in the UK make the head and the block out of one piece. I read where they accessed the heads using cutting tools and milling equipment from under the sump open area - and through this spot they did the final machining and install of the internals. Odd, but not unprecedented. Bugatti did the exact same thing, and probably for the same reason.

Your description of the difference between a top fuel engine and an F1 engine are right on target. The 3000hp V8's operate and a much lower frequency and the sound pressure feels like exactly that, pressure. Kind of sitting in the row 5 at a Who concert. The frequencies are lower and a lot of air is being moved. Modern F1 engines aren't moving as nearly as much air, and it's at such a high frequency that the dynamics are completely different.

Great descriptions. :thumbup:

oc

rabbit
03-25-05, 09:10 AM
Sorry? WTF? Write a book, that was beautiful :thumbup:
Yup. :thumbup:

ncmlj
03-25-05, 10:38 AM
hey rabbit, did you get my E-mail? or my pm?

ncmlj
03-25-05, 10:51 AM
Odd, but not unprecedented. Bugatti did the exact same thing, and probably for the same reason.

Your description of the difference between a top fuel engine and an F1 engine are right on target. The 3000hp V8's operate and a much lower frequency and the sound pressure feels like exactly that, pressure. Kind of sitting in the row 5 at a Who concert. The frequencies are lower and a lot of air is being moved. Modern F1 engines aren't moving as nearly as much air, and it's at such a high frequency that the dynamics are completely different.

Great descriptions. :thumbup:

oc

Top fuel HP is more like 6000 or 7000 maybe even higher then that now. I know back in say 1992 they were about 5000hp. Ok I was curious I had to look it up 6000+hp unfreaking real! :D

http://www.goarmy.com/racing/nhra_top_fuel_dragster.jsp

rabbit
03-25-05, 11:13 AM
hey rabbit, did you get my E-mail? or my pm?
Check your pm.

If anybody else needs it, pm me. I uploaded it to my website, but I have limited bandwidth and don't want to post the link. If you want it, I'll pm the link directly to you.

Wheel-Nut
12-14-05, 04:28 PM
For those of you that haven't seen this, it's a video of an Arrows with the engine being revved with the car on the stand. Regardless of the car being a backmarker for seasons past, the video is impressive.
F1 engine (http://members.roadfly.org/AEsco48/F1_Engine_show_AEsco48.mpeg) Right click to download, or just click to watch.

oc

Sorry to dig up an old thread. Does anyone have this video? I would like a copy. The link doesn't seem to work anymore.

indyfan31
12-14-05, 05:43 PM
Same here, I didn't have a chance to save it when it was working.

Cam
12-14-05, 05:52 PM
I can post it later. Don't have it stored on my ipaq. :gomer:

Cam
12-15-05, 01:23 PM
Click here to watch F1_Engine (http://media.putfile.com/F1_Engine) :D

Upload Video and Images - Putfile (http://www.putfile.com) :thumbup:

RusH
12-15-05, 01:31 PM
:eek:

SWEET :thumbup:

Rocketdoc
01-27-06, 10:15 PM

Sorry about the long post. I'm having a flash back, (not drug induced!) :rofl:

Nice post, I have many of the same memories.

The Offy engine was a mono-block engine with the head integral with the block, and you would think that was the right way to go when turbo charging came to the Speedway.

It was for a while, until the boost pressure came up to the point that it was a thermal issue rather than a structural issue of why the Meyers-Drake Offy, couldn’t run with the Ford DFX’s anymore.

And, you are absolutely right about the sound of the Matra’s.

Ferrari’s always managed to have distinctive, kind of branded sound, all through the sixties and seventies. Matra’s sound was more guttural and punishing… and loud.

Gomerbilly
01-28-06, 01:48 AM
There's a pretty cool video of a Honda V-10 on a dyno on Honda's F-1 site.

http://www.hondaracingf1.com/en/index.php?section=128

If the link doesn't work, it's under audio/video.

emjaya
01-28-06, 04:28 AM
Matra V12 (http://www.bad-boy.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sounds/1971%20Matra%20V12.wav) (link) :)

Matra V12 ringtone (http://uk.mobile.yahoo.com/sounds/real/details/110957/matra-v12-start.html) :gomer: