PDA

View Full Version : A1GP, National Teams and ChampCar's...

NismoZ
03-15-05, 11:10 AM
...main competition? ChampCar is rumored to recently have said they will be starting up "national" teams with an eye to full implimentation by (what I HOPE are) the new specs of '07. A1GP has just announced the first "Americas" franchise, with great fanfare, from Mexico City, with Mario Dominguez lapping an A1GP machine in bright Mexican national colors. These two events are no coincidence. The national team concept in a "World Cup" of racing is brilliant. ChampCar's Nations Cup was always inadequate, unpromoted and nearly invisible. With A1 wanting two races in California, and another in Australia as early as the next season, I hope ChampCar has an eye toward the future and where it's main competition will come from. Could it be as simple as Cosworth providing a more powerful engine than the A1 Zytek, and slipping it into that slick new Lola chassis?

racer2c
03-15-05, 11:19 AM
At 520bhp, I'm not concerned about some startup ladder series.

Andrew Longman
03-15-05, 11:30 AM
At 520bhp, I'm not concerned about some startup ladder series.

Maybe so, but I picked up a racing magazine during a recent visit to the UK and it contained a slick DVD on A1GP.

I'd say it is well financed, well conceived, and well marketed. I also think the spec could produce decent racing and the nationalistic focus could generate fan interest.

So by that I mean I think it can pay its bills and make money, which is a trick these days. That's all CCWS is really trying to do. Will it eclipse F1? certainly not, but CCWS isn't trying to do that either.

That said, would I pay money to see a race and root for some no-name driver just because he's American? Not really. I doubt if other nations will either. So long as the better, well known drivers are in F1, CCWS, even IRL and NASCAR, I doubt they will really take off. Maybe that's your point.

NismoZ
03-15-05, 11:52 AM
I'm certainly no tech guy and I can't do weight conversions off the top of my head, but power to weight is the key isn't it? How does the 600kg to 520hp figures from the A1 car compare to the Champcar's 1565lbs to 750hp numbers? Remember, I'm not talking about the CARS being in competition with one another, it's the series concept. C'mon, you KNOW a Champcar can drill a NASCAB anytime/where/place...but who's getting the numbers? I'm just saying A1's plan bears watching, and I hope CC isn't asleep. I took a lot of flak here awhile ago over the low hp, no-names, ugly cars, funny venue content of A1, but I believe we ignore A1GP at our own peril.

NismoZ
03-15-05, 12:02 PM
Here it is...at those figures a Champcar is pulling 2.220 lbs. per/hp and the A1 car lugs 2.544 lbs. I have no idea what that would mean as far as a lap time is concerned, (a 640hp CC would be equivilant...all else being equal, of course) but wouldn't Lola's newer A1 tub with an additional few yrs. of design knowledge behind it count for something?

racer2c
03-15-05, 12:08 PM
I'm certainly no tech guy and I can't do weight conversions off the top of my head, but power to weight is the key isn't it? How does the 600kg to 520hp figures from the A1 car compare to the Champcar's 1565lbs to 750hp numbers? Remember, I'm not talking about the CARS being in competition with one another, it's the series concept. C'mon, you KNOW a Champcar can drill a NASCAB anytime/where/place...but who's getting the numbers? I'm just saying A1's plan bears watching, and I hope CC isn't asleep. I took a lot of flak here awhile ago over the low hp, no-names, ugly cars, funny venue content of A1, but I believe we ignore A1GP at our own peril.

So are you suggesting that Champ Car fight them at their own game? How much more of an international series can Champ Car be? Drivers, owners, sponsers, crew members, all of them are from all over the globe.
I think it would look bad for Champ Car to start dictating that its teams makeup a 'national' presence.

600 kilograms = 1 322.77357 pounds

NismoZ
03-15-05, 12:34 PM
Not sure exactly WHAT my suggestion is, just that the open-wheel landscape is not standing still, but ChampCar's specs HAVE been. I don't want to see ChampCar get a "vintage racing" reputation (heck, even NASCAB is looking at new engines, chassis, etc.) and lose out to other series as perhaps the fastest/best openwheel organization below that "pinnacle." I'm aware of CC's present international situation and future plans, but they seem to pale in comparison to A1's Dubai, China, India, Malaysia, Japan, Qtar, Australia, US, etc., etc., AND that national team concept. Oh, it's spec racing alright, but World Cup and Olympic athletes all have to run on the same track, and play on the same fields and courts with the same rules, and THAT idea has worked. It's worth paying attention to. Can you imagine a "Gold Medal" in Olympic auto racing!?

racer2c
03-15-05, 12:43 PM
Are there any details as to who has actually signed on with A1GP? They're website is incredibly vague.

oddlycalm
03-15-05, 01:18 PM
When you are in only your 2nd season of operation, any new series has to watched as a potential threat.

oc

NismoZ
03-15-05, 01:52 PM
I read 20 teams confirmed...only 1 driver named! A team is 1 car & driver.

Methanolandbrats
03-15-05, 02:03 PM
Looks easy to sign up a team, theres a form on the website :D Might catch on, at least you don't have to send a billion dollars to Bernie when you apply.