PDA

View Full Version : crawdad season

Ankf00
03-11-05, 08:36 PM
every single joint on or around clear lake or galveston bay has a "freshly boiled crawfish" sign up...

YEAH BABY, YEAH!!!!! :cool:

Methanolandbrats
03-11-05, 10:23 PM
We call em crayfish up north, but I think they're the same thing. Sort of like a cross between a shrimp and a tiny lobster. We could catch a few in small streams. How do you catch enough of them to be worth boiling?

Turn7
03-11-05, 11:07 PM
We are having a family get together next weekend.

40 Pounds swamp roaches
1qt. jar of Zatarain's dry mix
1box of salt
1 bunch of celery
4 large onions
6 lemons
12 gallons of water
4 lbs Chappel Hill Garlic Sausage

Boil it up, pour them out on the table and get with it.

Amanda B.'s Mom
03-12-05, 02:01 AM
Crayfish boils are common around here. People either trap or spear them. Of course they have to come from a clear, clean, spring fed lake. dunno about elsewhere, but most of the crayfish used for boils here are from 4 to 6 inches. They are very good when seasoned properly.

racer2c
03-12-05, 02:23 PM
We call em crayfish up north, but I think they're the same thing. Sort of like a cross between a shrimp and a tiny lobster. We could catch a few in small streams. How do you catch enough of them to be worth boiling?

Down Lousinanna way, they farm them out in big rice paddy type areas. You can pick up a 50lb bag of them from guys on the side of the road.
When I lived in New Orleans, it was practically a weekend event (down there it's called a 'crawdad boil'. Another nickname is 'mudbugs'.
Out in the backyard, fire up your boiler (you can make it yourself or buy them at the store). Dump in whole garlic cloves, corn on the cob and new potatoes along with a whole bottle of liquid crab boil and your cajun seasoning bag.

Dump it all out on a table (brown paper works best as a covering) and dig in.

Pinch the tails and suck the heads!

Almost as good as a blue crab feast here in the Cheasapeake Bay. ;)

Turn7
03-12-05, 04:34 PM
Crawfish boil not crawdads or crayfish.

Get with the program people.

Methanolandbrats
03-12-05, 05:04 PM
Down Lousinanna way, they farm them out in big rice paddy type areas. You can pick up a 50lb bag of them from guys on the side of the road.
When I lived in New Orleans, it was practically a weekend event (down there it's called a 'crawdad boil'. Another nickname is 'mudbugs'.
Out in the backyard, fire up your boiler (you can make it yourself or buy them at the store). Dump in whole garlic cloves, corn on the cob and new potatoes along with a whole bottle of liquid crab boil and your cajun seasoning bag.

Dump it all out on a table (brown paper works best as a covering) and dig in.

Pinch the tails and suck the heads!

Almost as good as a blue crab feast here in the Cheasapeake Bay. ;) Sounds good, but 950 miles is a long way to drive for dinner.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-13-05, 12:52 AM
I want to smoke them crawdads with Jethro and Granny. :gomer:

oddlycalm
03-13-05, 07:07 AM
The reason you need 40lbs of them is that there's near to nothing to eat on one. ;) I'm not above going to the local crawfish festival because it's 5 minutes from home, but I generally eat something else when I get there. In New Orleans there's a lot of things I'd much rather eat. Bring me the oysters and I'll leave the crawdads for the rest of you all.

oc

Amanda B.'s Mom
03-13-05, 11:25 AM
Crawfish boil not crawdads or crayfish.

Get with the program people.

Just a regional difference in language. If I were to mention a "crawfish" people would have no idea what I was talking about. So, we have crayfish boils. :)

Ankf00
03-13-05, 11:52 AM
homie, you texan. it's crawdads :gomer:

and ya, crawfish are po' man's shrimp, but getting a buncha ppl with a keg out in the park and having a big boil makes for a fun saturday a couple of times a year :)