03-14-05, 08:22 AM
Thi is easy:

If the cars are crap, thes series is crap:

Crap: .1RL, Grand Sham.

Not Crap: F1, CCWS

Case closed.

Turn7
03-14-05, 10:20 AM
According to Turn7, there is no "real North American Racing." It all sucks because its drivers aren't in Formula 1, and if you're not a Formula 1 driver, you're a worthless wannabe.

So what's it matter anyway if "real North American Racing" is wiped off the face of the Earth? Doesn't that further prove that nobody other than F1 deserves to race?

I didn't say that the races shouldn't take place. I am saying that GrandAm is not the saving grace of Sports Car racing. I don't care how much the Frances play Pope and try to shove that cracker down my throat, it ain't saving the racing, only assisting in killing it off so that the Cup cars have ZERO competition.

If you want to participate in a overgrown club on steriods, have fun. Be happy with the people watching from pit lane 'cause that is all that will be there.

There are various disiplines of racing, rally, sports car, formula car and stock car. Each has the premier series and all else are "wannabe's". You know it. Given the choice of F1 or ChampCar, where is a driver going to go? Easy, answer there no doubt. The same goes for all others including sports cars. Would a driver rather pilot a 5 year old R8 or a 6 month old POS DP?

That is all.

mueber
03-14-05, 10:50 AM
Given the tight confines of the poll, I voted for ALMS because it stinks less than Grand Am. But I'm not planning on going to either this year. It's not worth the effort IMO.

Sean O'Gorman
03-14-05, 11:52 AM
I didn't say that the races shouldn't take place. I am saying that GrandAm is not the saving grace of Sports Car racing. I don't care how much the Frances play Pope and try to shove that cracker down my throat, it ain't saving the racing, only assisting in killing it off so that the Cup cars have ZERO competition.

If you want to participate in a overgrown club on steriods, have fun. Be happy with the people watching from pit lane 'cause that is all that will be there.

There are various disiplines of racing, rally, sports car, formula car and stock car. Each has the premier series and all else are "wannabe's". You know it. Given the choice of F1 or ChampCar, where is a driver going to go? Easy, answer there no doubt. The same goes for all others including sports cars. Would a driver rather pilot a 5 year old R8 or a 6 month old POS DP?

That is all.

If Grand-Am isn't the saving grace of sports car racing, then what is? And if there is none, then what is it that keeps Grand-Am from being the most suitable candidate?

And again, what is your determination of which the premier form of a certain type of racing? If a car is a few seconds a lap quicker, but the driver of it has no competition, does that really make it the premier anything? I'm sure any driver would rather drive an R8 over a Crawford, but would much rather race against 25 of those other DPs rather than 3 slower LMPs.

Turn7
03-14-05, 12:05 PM
If Grand-Am isn't the saving grace of sports car racing, then what is?

Nothing at the moment. That is the point you are missing entirely. Most fans would rather not watch than to watch a stop gap thrown together excuse for a sports car such as the DP's.

You may be right that the teams like to run against larger #'s of cars but, that doesn't put people in the seats. People in the seats are crucial to legitimizing the series. If people don't bother to watch in person, the tv viewer won't tune in. That has been proven over the last few years in a number of sporting events. No buzz, no budget.

The only reason DP's have factory support is because of the NASCAR Cup carrot being dangled in front of the wagon. Once that carrot gets old and rotten, there won't be the fan support to nor the factory support. Only a bunch of wannabe's hanging out talking about what could of been and what was promised.

If you get your rocks off to that, good for you.

Racing Truth
03-14-05, 02:06 PM
Well, this seems a good time to offer the following:

I watch both, I'll defineitely be watching Sebring.

I'd be a lot happier with ALMS IF they could consistently put 10-12 LMP1's on the grid, with 3-4 compettitive mftrs. They do that, then I'll switch my vote.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Racing Truth
03-14-05, 03:34 PM

That is all.

First, again with GA was created to destroy ALMS to help NASCAR? Its absurd on its face, but I guess others buy it.

Do you really think ALMS was EVER a threat to NASCAR? Not only are we talking two different demographics, but sports car racing will ALWAYS BE A NICHE. How it is a threat to NASCAR I have no idea. But hey, believe what you will.

Sure, we'd love to drive an R8, but when it comes to racing , knowing you're going to win almost everytime out b/c no other car is close, well, "if you get your rocks off to that, good for you."

FCYTravis
03-14-05, 04:20 PM
If you want to participate in a overgrown club on steriods, have fun.
I will. See, I enjoy participation for participation's sake. I enjoy racing for racing's sake. I don't require that I be accompanied by a throng of like-minded sheep who are there to tell me which racing is real and which racing is fake. I'll decide that on my own, thanks.

BTW Turn7, I never said anything about Grand Am being the saving grace of sports car racing. I hope Grand Am and ALMS continue to peacefully coexist long into the future - giving teams, drivers and fans more opportunities to compete in and watch professional sports car racing than ever before. I'll continue to support both series with my money, time and efforts.

I'll see you trackside, Turn7... because I Heard You Like To Watch :laugh:

pchall
03-14-05, 04:27 PM
I once went to a GP that started twelve F1 cars and six F2s.

It was still a Grand Prix.

FCYTravis
03-14-05, 04:28 PM
Ahh, the days of the Nurburgring, pchall? The combined races to fill the 14-plus miles of the incomparable Green Hell? :thumbup:

"Sponsorship? On an F1 car? :the horrors!: We can't have THAT!"

A simpler time, that's for sure...

Turn7
03-14-05, 05:26 PM
I'll see you trackside, Turn7... because I Heard You Like To Watch :laugh:

Not if it is a grandsham race plus I don't watch fellers like you.
I got more in common with AJ than I like to admit. Large, Texan and like to bitchslap sappy little sniveling ****s. I don't know why I felt compelled to state that, maybe you can figure it out? Other than that, I look forward to it.

FCYTravis
03-14-05, 05:31 PM
Never said anything about GA - I'll be at two ALMS races this year, maybe more, plus a couple Champ Car shindigs. See you there :cool:

Turn7
03-14-05, 05:34 PM
:D

FCYTravis
03-14-05, 05:36 PM
First beer's on me :)

Sean O'Gorman
03-14-05, 05:45 PM
Not if it is a grandsham race plus I don't watch fellers like you.
I got more in common with AJ than I like to admit. Large, Texan and like to bitchslap sappy little sniveling ****s. I don't know why I felt compelled to state that, maybe you can figure it out? Other than that, I look forward to it.

Can I have my new laptop sent to your house for some durability testing before I take delivery of it? :D

Michaelhatesfans
03-14-05, 05:56 PM
"I got more in common with AJ than I like to admit. Large, Texan and like to bitchslap..."

First beer's on me :)

Good idea! :laugh: