PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Driver Line ups?

Andrew Longman
03-11-05, 11:50 AM
With LB a month away, and several seats unclear, what are thoughts about where guys like Wird will land?

NH: Bourdais and Junqueira
Forsythe: Tracy and Lavin
Coyne: Servia and ?
HVM: Dominguez and ?
Mi Jack: Phillipe and Ranger?
PKV: Vasser and DaMatta
Rocketsport: Hunter-Reay and Tagliani?
RuSport: AJ and Wilson
Walker: Haberfeld and Valiante? Seidler?

Who might field a third car and who might be in it?

Of course its just guess work, but that's why they call it silly season

Easy
03-11-05, 11:55 AM
FWIW count Jaroslav Janis and Richard Lyons out. They are both on the entry list for Formula Nippon.

NismoZ
03-11-05, 01:14 PM
Coyne: Mazzacane
Rocketsports: Glock
HVM: Tag
Walker: Wirdheim
(and a shame about Lyons)...all guesses here of course :)

Dirty Sanchez
03-11-05, 01:15 PM
"There will be future announcements."

nrc
03-11-05, 01:53 PM
Coyne: Mazzacane
Rocketsports: Glock
HVM: Tag
Walker: Wirdheim
(and a shame about Lyons)...all guesses here of course :)
Wirdheim's comments wouldn't seem to indicate a Walker ride.

“I am really close to a drive,” the 24-year-old claimed to Autosport-Atlas. “Unfortunately I'm not allowed to tell you about it at the moment, but I'm really excited about the drive and I'm looking forward to racing again.”

Walker tested Haberfeld and some other guy at Fontana. There were no times or other mentions of the other guy and the picture has since disappeared off the Champ car site. It wasn't Valliente.

NismoZ
03-11-05, 02:09 PM
True, I was confuseled...How 'bout Wirdheim at Forsythe and Marcus Marshall at Walker? Gotta have an Aussie..and a Korean and a... That make more sense? (I recall posting something a long time ago about Lavin maybe not being back (but Corona will)...but everyone just made fun of me! :cry: (no 3 car teams) Jos?

NismoZ
03-11-05, 02:12 PM
Or was it Marcus who got disappeared? I mean, we want an Aussie...but a FAST Aussie! (Seidler? Sounded like he REALLY wants in.)

FCYTravis
03-11-05, 03:40 PM
Coyne third car? hmmm...

RTKar
03-11-05, 06:59 PM
Coyne third car? hmmm...

Geez...I'd like to see him get two working properly first.

Racing Truth
03-12-05, 02:27 PM
RuSport intrigues me. Wilson and AJ could be a nice combo.

I think they struggled last year being a first-year team, which won't be an issue this year.

Andrew Longman
03-14-05, 01:08 PM
As it stands today, the 14th of March, there are 10 confirmed drivers -- defending champion Sebastien Bourdais and runner-up Bruno Junqueira (Newman-Haas), former CART champs Jimmy Vasser and Cristiano da Matta (PKV Racing), A.J. Allmendinger and Justin Wilson (RuSPORT), 2003 king Paul Tracy (Forsythe), Ryan Hunter-Reay (Rocketsports), Mario Dominguez (HVM/Herdez) and Nelson Phillipe (MiJack/Conquest).

The above from RM CCWS post. http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8746

While it is disappointing that the field is not yet set, it is good to see four past champions is the series. Many complained a lot about that over recentyears. Given the other names mentioned above and within the rumor mill, of the 18 cars more than 10-12 are likely to be very competitive.

Not bad. Now they just need to get this set. I imagine the lower budgets and reduced testing remove the need to nail down drivers by Labor Day, but this is not desirable from a driver-marketing perspective.

NismoZ
03-14-05, 03:22 PM
No, it isn't, but ChampCar is still in an emergency situation and I'm not so sure we can expect much more (as fans) than we're getting. Think about the expectant DRIVERS! I'm guessing nine 2-car teams.

cart7
03-14-05, 03:41 PM
As it stands today, the 14th of March, there are 10 confirmed drivers -- defending champion Sebastien Bourdais and runner-up Bruno Junqueira (Newman-Haas), former CART champs Jimmy Vasser and Cristiano da Matta (PKV Racing), A.J. Allmendinger and Justin Wilson (RuSPORT), 2003 king Paul Tracy (Forsythe), Ryan Hunter-Reay (Rocketsports), Mario Dominguez (HVM/Herdez) and Nelson Phillipe (MiJack/Conquest).

The above from RM CCWS post. http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8746

While it is disappointing that the field is not yet set, it is good to see four past champions is the series. Many complained a lot about that over recentyears. Given the other names mentioned above and within the rumor mill, of the 18 cars more than 10-12 are likely to be very competitive.

Not bad. Now they just need to get this set. I imagine the lower budgets and reduced testing remove the need to nail down drivers by Labor Day, but this is not desirable from a driver-marketing perspective.

Saw this this morning. Nothing like a little suspense. That said, seems a little weak that we're this close to the opener and the series technically couldn't have a pre-race teaser show at this point showing all the drivers.

Not that they were going to have one anyway.

nrc
03-15-05, 01:30 AM
Robin ID's Walker's mystery tester as Australian Marcus Marshall.

Spicoli
03-15-05, 04:02 AM
Robin ID's Walker's mystery tester as Australian Marcus Marshall.

eh,,,,,

Tagliani goes to Derrick Walker along with an Aussie native who probably isn't Marcus Marshall.

trauma1
03-15-05, 10:00 AM
Rm is probably way off, Habs has one of the rides with walker, what's up with conquest with fabio and ranger, 2 teenagers wtf is that :rofl:

NismoZ
03-15-05, 10:20 AM
And the news out of Canada this morning has Tag with a new team...for CERTAIN! (Jensen/Atl. to CC, full-time?)

Spicoli
03-15-05, 01:23 PM
Rm is probably way off, Habs has one of the rides with walker, what's up with conquest with fabio and ranger, 2 teenagers wtf is that :rofl:

"The Champcar Nursery" as someone put it. ;)

Spicoli
03-15-05, 01:25 PM
And the news out of Canada this morning has Tag with a new team...for CERTAIN! (Jensen/Atl. to CC, full-time?)

You got a link to that? Jensen making it to CCWS full time would be a freaking JOKE. This board could do a better job. Jensen flat out sucks. (Just as Travis ;) )

NismoZ
03-15-05, 02:17 PM
Just forum rumors. I don't make this stuff up. All I know is Jensen weeks ago said he'd step up for a partial season as he didn't have enough sponsorship $$. Maybe he found some! How 'bout Miller suggesting ( link, link, on Speed TV! link,link) Dominguez will end up at Forsythe and Wirdheim with Gonzalez at HVM? C'mon, it's Ludicrous Season! :)

FCYTravis
03-15-05, 03:17 PM
I don't think it'll be Jensen...

trauma1
03-15-05, 03:37 PM
jensen crap was floated last year it's another condor :rofl:

HE ISN''T CALLED SPYPLANE FOR NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!! :flame:
ASK HIM IF HE'S FLOWN OVER THE SHOP :rofl: :rofl:

pferrf1
03-15-05, 04:58 PM
What about Dyson?

Could they have bought Walker's Reynards and are going CCWS this year?

FCYTravis
03-15-05, 05:30 PM
If Dyson was going to go Champ Car racing, he'd sure as hell not waste his money on Walker's used-up backmarker Reynards.

But it's not going to happen anyway. Rob had his fill of Champ Car back in '89...

FCYTravis
03-15-05, 06:04 PM
Addendum: From what I've heard, Chris enjoyed his one-offs in a Dyson Swift 014 last year, and he may be back running a partial Toyota Atlantic season. At least Long Beach...

nrc
03-15-05, 06:56 PM
Speed reports Ranger has signed with Conquest. Rumor is Walker drivers to be announced this week.

HVM says that they haven't talked with Tagz. Tagz is reported to be trying to scrape up money but Molson reportedly has assurances from Champ car that he'll have a ride.