PDA

View Full Version : Now: Newman-Haas. Later: Newman-?

Jag_Warrior
02-25-03, 01:49 PM
I need to find out how you folks feel about naming sites, so for now, "another" site (and no, it absolutely is NOT XX1) is reporting as rumor that Paul Newman and Carl Haas are headed for splittsville, if Haas goes IRLing. Any truth to that one?

Now, I know it is a fact that Newman said that he would never again set foot on IMS soil. Did he say anything publicly in St. Pete that would lead us to believe that he is ready to put the knife on the table?

Personally, I've liked the sound of Newman-Letterman for awhile. I'd even suggest the yellow, white and black livery from Senna's "New Man" 956 :)

nrc
02-25-03, 02:08 PM
There are no taboo site names on this forum AFAIK. It's considered fair and appropriate to cite sources when you post info.

If Haas goes chasing Toyota money it may well be without Newman, but I have a hard time imagining Haas being foolish enough to burn his bridges with Newman completely. He's rumored to be the linchpin of most of the sponsorship Haas has put together since he lost the Andretti name.

IlliniRacer
02-25-03, 02:38 PM
Well, if Rahal follows Haas, how about Newman-Letterman?

mnkywrch
02-25-03, 03:05 PM
Newman-Letterman?

Who provides the racing expertise?

How about Newman-Letterman-Coyne?

Then maybe Dale can hire some real drivers...

Chaos
02-25-03, 03:50 PM
Newman-Letterman-Rahal

(given Rahal's association with Letterman)

pchall
02-25-03, 03:54 PM
Newman, The Real Andretti, Letterman Racing

Works for me.

tantra
02-25-03, 11:55 PM
So what is the source for such a rumor?

The first race of a 19 event season has just been completed and someone saying that there is a split in the offing?

bs

Jag_Warrior
02-26-03, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by tantra
So what is the source for such a rumor?

The first race of a 19 event season has just been completed and someone saying that there is a split in the offing?

bs

I first read it on Champweb, Tantra.

Of the owners who have made public comments regarding Indy, I'd say Forsythe and Newman are about neck & neck in the "Indy? Schmindy!" dept. Haas' people have denied the rumors that they're going to do an Indy one-off. So who knows how this rumor started.

Champweb also reported that there were quite a few IRL'ers trolling St. Pete. How did any negative CART rumors start? Good chance that they spent their time whispering "did ya hear?" to whoever would listen. Just a thought...

rabbit
02-26-03, 01:40 AM
Newman/Mansell?

MightySurfClam
02-26-03, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by pchall
Newman, The Real Andretti, Letterman Racing

Works for me.

Letterman's pretty pro Indy though

Foxman
02-26-03, 08:47 AM
Newman/Andretti?

tantra
02-26-03, 10:46 AM
So, is the rumor that IF Haas does a one-off at Indy this year, Newman will take his pasta sauce and spend his weekends sitting by the fire with Joan? Or, what?

Jag_Warrior
02-26-03, 02:01 PM
So, is the rumor that IF Haas does a one-off at Indy this year, Newman will take his pasta sauce and spend his weekends sitting by the fire with Joan? Or, what?

Hi Tantra. It's in the Rumor Roundup link on Champweb. It suggests that if Haas plays in Tony's sandbox, Newman may begin shopping his partnership with another team.

Has Letterman made nice with Boy Wonder(less)? The last Late Night show I watched, where he spoke of IMS and its May race, he sounded more like one of us. He suggested that Howie Katz (I believe... some ABC guy) might have some gender-identification "issues", because of the way he was waving the flag. Has he had a change of heart?

FortyOneFord
02-27-03, 03:09 AM
Andretti-Newman Racing sounds sweet. I hope Carl says no to yoda, but I won't miss him if he feels indy is more important then CWS.

MightySurfClam
02-27-03, 07:08 AM
I thought the rumour is Haas is just going to do Indy and stay in CART?

tantra
02-27-03, 10:36 AM
JAG, thanks for the clarification of the rumor and its source.
I find it difficult to accept that some folks out there write in such a speculative manner that their statements are in actuallity fantacy, expression of wishful thinking, attempts to keep sturring the pot, or to gain notoriety for themselves as being some kind of insider or pundit.

Several owners I have talked with have expressed dismay over many of the speculative articles they or their staff have read on the internet, for, as we all should know, uncertainty and lies are bad for business.

In these difficult times for most businesses, and in particular CART, a rumor about a rift between Haas and Newman could be very damageing to their efforts of securing and keeping good sponsorship and to CART.

RARules
02-27-03, 05:05 PM
I find it difficult to accept that some folks out there write in such a speculative manner that their statements are in actuallity fantacy, expression of wishful thinking, attempts to keep sturring the pot, or to gain notoriety for themselves as being some kind of insider or pundit.

Several owners I have talked with have expressed dismay over many of the speculative articles they or their staff have read on the internet, for, as we all should know, uncertainty and lies are bad for business.

Maybe some site needs to keep a list of claims made on various rumor boards and keep score on the reliability level of each board.

Since this one's independent (no official rumor page), if someone's interested, this may be a good place to do it.