PDA

View Full Version : College Hockey Playoff Thread

Tifosi24
03-10-05, 03:33 PM
Not to be outdone by all of the roundball brewhaha this time of year, I decided to start a thread for all of the hockey fans in here. For those who are unaware, the big conferences start their tournaments this weekend and the final stops and seeds for the NCAAs are all up for grabs. The two biggest meetings this weekend are likely Northeastern vs New Hampshire, and Minnesota-Duluth at North Dakota. The best of three series are a must win for UHN and UND if they want a solid stop in the tournament. There are countless other important matchups, but I don't feel like boring the board with all of the talk, so I will limit my jabber to the meeting I will be following this weekend.

The hometown Mavs have to travel to Goofer Country for their first round meeting, which will determine a great deal in the final seedings. A first round sweep by the Goofs will likely get them a #1 seed on their home-ice and a likely appearance in the Frozen Four in April. Of course I am cheering for the Mavericks, eventhough we have a 2-15-4 lifetime record against the Gophers. As with any hockey game, the key will be goaltending for both teams. The Gophers will still be going with their #2 goalie and it is important that he still play to the level he has been for the past month, and goaltending for the Mavericks is generally hit or miss, so I am praying that it is hitting on all cylinders. I am gonna be crazy and pick the Mavs in 3-games.
Friday: Mavs 4 Goofs 2 (EN)
Sat: Goofs 7 Mavs 3
Sun: Mavs 5 Goofs 3

Now, let's see what the other fans in here think about their team's chances this weekend.

Ankf00
03-10-05, 03:56 PM
"Look, I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for superfan 99 over here"
-Trent

JoeBob
03-10-05, 05:38 PM
http://mgoblue.com/images/icehockey/04-05/ccha-champs.jpg

dando
03-10-05, 07:35 PM
GO Puckeyes!

-Kevin

dando
03-10-05, 07:41 PM
http://mgoblue.com/images/icehockey/04-05/ccha-champs.jpg
JB, need I remind you of last year's CCHA tourney outcome? :D

-Kevin

JoeBob
03-10-05, 07:50 PM
I'll put Michigan's Hockey Program up against Ohio State's any day of the week...

dando
03-10-05, 08:33 PM
I'll put Michigan's Hockey Program up against Ohio State's any day of the week...
Bring it on, homey.:)

http://www.wosu.org/ccha-title-gif.gif

-Kevin

TKGAngel
03-10-05, 08:40 PM
Sigh, my poor college's hockey team is known more for what happened off the ice this season than on it. They revolted and got the coach fired, had one player get arrested for indecent exposure outside a pizza place, and on a road trip to N. Dakota, got drunk (on the college's credit card, rumor has it) and destroyed a hotel room, and said trip lead to the AD being fired. :shakehead

Something for us alums to be proud of, I guess.

dando
03-10-05, 08:43 PM
"Look, I'm gonna make Gretzky's head bleed for superfan 99 over here"
-Trent
Ank, you kinda look outta place here. BeVo on ice? I don't think so... :gomer:

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-11-05, 02:58 AM
Ank, you kinda look outta place here. BeVo on ice? I don't think so... :gomer:

-Kevin

about as sensical as buckeyes on ice, stick to paying your quarterbacks :gomer:

Dr. Corkski
03-11-05, 05:37 AM
Since I am out here in "Santa Fe" we don't get much college hockey on tv here because real sports like drifting is way too popular to keep of the tv, so I haven't paid too much attention to non-goalies.

Just my uninformed opinion but in single game elimination games this year I would go with OSU, because I know Dave Caruso would probably give them a solid game, even if he is horrible on CSI Miami. Going into a tournament with the strategy of hoping your goalie doesn't blow it for you rarely works. Especially if said goalie has played to the standards of Rangers goalies as of late and has been looking more and more overrated than the #2 driver at McLaren with the same last name.

Watch out for BC though, especially since they don't have to face Belarus. :gomer:

JoeBob
03-11-05, 06:58 PM
Bring it on, homey.:)

CCHA Regular Season Titles:
Michigan: 7
Ohio State: 1

CCHA Tournament Titles:
Michigan: 6
Ohio State: 2

NCAA Championships:
Michigan: 9
Ohio State: 0

FCYTravis
03-11-05, 07:06 PM
Advantage: Michigan. :)

JoeBob
03-11-05, 07:08 PM
Especially if said goalie has played to the standards of Rangers goalies as of late and has been looking more and more overrated than the #2 driver at McLaren with the same last name.

His form hasn't been there, but the wins still have. Hopefully the hype hasn't gotten to his head.

Marty Turco went through a similar period - facing a maybe dozen shots per game gets pretty boring, and he gave up more than his fair share of soft goals. Then again, Turco found other ways to stay in the game. (Before his career is done, he'll have another NHL goaltender record - penalty minutes.)

Dr. Corkski
03-11-05, 07:30 PM
The Wolverines are still winning because they have enough talent up front to outscore everyone else, but having a shakey goalie in a tournament situation is just asking for trouble. I know this first hand. :o

If Allaire sets him straight though he could very well have a decent NHL career.

Ankf00
03-11-05, 08:09 PM
CCHA Regular Season Titles:
Michigan: 7
Ohio State: 1

CCHA Tournament Titles:
Michigan: 6
Ohio State: 2

NCAA Championships:
Michigan: 9
Ohio State: 0

kevin: can you say... *ahem* "pwn3d"?

dando
03-11-05, 11:59 PM
about as sensical as buckeyes on ice, stick to paying your quarterbacks :gomer:
Well, we call them Puckeyes.....and, um, we're a bit north of the Mason/Dixon line. :gomer:

-Kevin

dando
03-12-05, 12:06 AM
kevin: can you say... *ahem* "pwn3d"?
Yeah, got me....let's discuss OU/UT. History is, well history, eh?

JB, quite frankly, itz amazing the Puckeyes won anything pre-'98 considering the barn they played in until '98. Let's see where they are in a couple of years, eh?

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-12-05, 06:02 AM
in the meantime, you ought to try to build a baseball dome instead of bitching, when you make omaha, gimme a call, half the folks here have my number :gomer:

Tifosi24
03-12-05, 11:32 PM
:( . The Goofs ended the Mavs season tonite after a 5-3 loss. The fifth goal was a killer for us with about 5 left in the game, because we had a 6-3 advantage with the goalie pulled for the last 40 seconds on the game. Justin Johnson really showed up this weekend and played a good series for the Gophers. Dumb pentalties cost us big time last night, and we just couldn't put the puck in during the 3rd period tonite. Looks like the Gophers will have a #1 seed in the NCAAs, and I don't know what has happened to tOSU, but they are currently on the outside looking in for the national tourney. They are #15 in the Pairwise, and you need to be #14 to get into the tournament because of the two crappy teams that get at large bids. Colorado College is now my horse for the rest of the season. I would say they are the best and most consistant team I have seen this year. Denver is also a team to watch, but we shelled them in one game a couple weeks ago, and I feel their goaltending isn't strong enough to win in a single elimination format.

RTKar
03-13-05, 02:11 AM
Frozen Four in Milwaukee in 2006 :thumbup: :cool:

trauma1
03-14-05, 11:48 AM
there is only one team in college hockey and sorry CCHA the WCHA bets the heck out of any league

http://www.siouxshop.com/images/Youth%20Black%20Nike%20Jersey.jpg

Tifosi24
03-14-05, 10:30 PM
After the first weekend of the playoffs it is looking more and more like the WCHA is going to have three of the four #1 seeds in the draw. Only way that Cornell can hope of getting a #1 seed is if Minny loses their game on Friday and they win out their conference. That looks more and more far fetched because I think Minny is playing Colorado College, and even a lose won't hurt them with how the Pairwise is. Trauma will be happy that the Sioux are in the field for sure, but I would have to disagree about the only team statement though, I just can't like the new uniforms you guys have with the giant Sioux head, it is a little too over the top for my liking. The last two teams into the tournament this year will be between four teams: Ohio State, Wisconsin, Vermont, and Colgate. It won't make for a very exciting selection Sunday but the entire field should be set by Friday evening.

trauma1
03-15-05, 09:07 AM
Sioux rule college hockey and now that we have the palace, it's been a down year, however the Sioux still have the best talent, only they like to break our hearts once in a while, new coach will not last beyond next year if he does'nt win, get Blaise back

dando
03-19-05, 08:19 PM
The showdown for the Mason Cup starts in 15...GO Puckeyes!

http://media.collegepublisher.com/media/paper333/stills/9p7e11ua.jpg

:cool:

-Kevin

dando
03-19-05, 10:31 PM
2-2 heading into the 3rd. It's been rock 'em sock 'em robots thus far. :thumbup: Hate watch it with the U/M gomers doing the announcing, tho. :thumdown: Zamboni breaks down between the 2nd and 3rd periods. Meechicken engineering @ itz finest. :laugh: ;)

-Kevin

dando
03-19-05, 11:18 PM
Ah, well...friggin' wolves win 4-2 on basically their home ice (they need to move this tourney around a bit, IMHO). We'll see y'all back on OUR HOME ICE in a coupla weeks for the Frozen Four, baby! :D

JB, I'll bet Markel is around a bit longer than Red...the best is yet to come for the Puckeyes!

Oh, and @ least something good came from Parma, OH...the Fritsche boyz are freakin' awesome!!

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
03-20-05, 01:08 AM
Oh, and @ least something good came from Parma, OH...the Fritsche boyz are freakin' awesome!!Then again, they could always end up being the next Brian Holzingers. :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
03-20-05, 12:58 PM
Oh, and @ least something good came from Parma, OH...the Fritsche boyz are freakin' awesome!!

:laugh:

Yeah, one of them was a freshman at my school when I was a senior but I think he transferred out after that year.

dando
03-20-05, 11:14 PM
The road to Columbus begins next weekend:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?page=05frozen4skedmen

:cool:

Best of luck to all....the Puckeyes are gonna need it playing in Minneapolis. :(

-Kevin

dando
03-20-05, 11:26 PM
Then again, they could always end up being the next Brian Holzingers. :laugh:
Good point, Corki. Altho Holzy getting to the NHL from Ohiya was a feat in itselfin the early 90s. I don't think he was ever touted as a big-time player in the NHL, tho. The explosive growth of the sport in these parts has been a recent phenomenon over the last 5-6 years. For example, from '80 until the mid-90s, there was only one rink in Cbus worthy of playing the game. Now we have 5 or 6, and that doesn't count the OSU or CBJs main surfaces.

Both Tom and Dan Fritsche have compiled good resumes thus far, and I've heard nothing but good things about them from hockeye guys like Doug McLean, etc. Good to see some young American talent waiting in the wings. They won't be Hulls, but they should be solid players in the future.

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
03-21-05, 02:12 AM
Actually I was joking about the Fritsche/Holzinger comparison. Haven't seen much of him other than this year's WJC, and he didn't look bad. But then being from the same town as O'Gorman is not something you want on your resume. ;)

I don't think Minny should have gotten a 1 seed over Michigan in the tournament. 2 #1 seeds from the WCHA is enough.

trauma1
03-21-05, 09:43 AM
how in the hell can UND get a #2 seed and play in the east and BU a # 3 seed gets to play at home, this ECHA **** is crap the WCHA teams get screwed every year having to play this homer game, it's as base as the BCA, like the hooby last year and parise getting screwed bunch of east coast elistist :flame:

dando
03-21-05, 01:57 PM
Actually I was joking about the Fritsche/Holzinger comparison. Haven't seen much of him other than this year's WJC, and he didn't look bad. But then being from the same town as O'Gorman is not something you want on your resume. ;)

I don't think Minny should have gotten a 1 seed over Michigan in the tournament. 2 #1 seeds from the WCHA is enough.

:rofl:

Well, U/M is bascially playing @ home as a #2 seed. Tough road to hoe, tho, with CC and WI. None of the brackets look easy. I really hate the home ice advantage. :thumdown:

-Kevin

JoeBob
03-21-05, 03:27 PM
Pretty much anyplace within 6 hours is "home ice" for Michigan Hockey. Grand Rapids isn't as bad for visiting teams as Ann Arbor was for the Sioux a few years ago.

I was in the front row for the 1996 Frozen Four in Cincinnati. Those games felt like a home games! (Especially the National Championship game - that's one that ESPN Classic should break out!)

Tifosi24
03-21-05, 10:42 PM
Cornell is the team being left out the most in my opinion. The USCHO.com Pairwise had them even with Minnesota, and they won their conference tournament and regular season title. The ECACHL isn't the same as the WCHA, but it was a fairly strong conference this year. I can't say that I agree with the home-ice regionals, but for those going to the West Region, Minny has been very beatable at home this season. Case in point being swept by Tech and giving away 3pts to Anchorage on the home sheet. I wish I had ESPNU to watch all of the game this weekend, it should be a lot of good hockey. Putting my money on Colorado College, but cheering for Bemidji State because they are a long shot and from a conference that has had cinderalla teams in the past.

racermike
03-22-05, 03:16 PM
Well our Portland Winterhawks won our final regular season game sunday night, in front of a HUGE crowd. Hawks are a Western Hockey League team (Juniors), who have twice won the Memorial Cup in their history.

We now have a 7 game series vs. the Everett Silvertips, and we have home ice advantage for this first round. Our team has really sparked the last 4 weeks, and we are 10-0-1 in the last 11 games. Not sure if we have what it takes to win the WHL championship, but I think we can go pretty deep into the playoffs. Strong goaltending, and very strong penalty kill as of late.

On the downside, in the 2nd to last game against Seattle, their goon, fitzgerald, took a swipe at our leading scorer, Dan DaSilva, inflicting a very bad concussion, and we will miss him for at least the first 2 games of the playoffs.

www.winterhawks.com

http://image34.webshots.com/35/3/37/66/235333766jBmhtu_ph.jpg

Ankf00
03-22-05, 09:36 PM
I'm finally in an nhl town and there's no nhl... :flame: :flame: :flame:

Tifosi24
03-22-05, 09:38 PM
Ank, you can come to Des Moines next year and watch your Dallas Stars AHL team play, because that is the closest you will get for the first part of the season.

dando
03-23-05, 01:06 AM
Ank, you can come to Des Moines next year and watch your Dallas Stars AHL team play, because that is the closest you will get for the first part of the season.
Actually, it might be Des Moines playing in Big D to start next season. I'll bet ca$h money the owners try to get replacements on the ice to start next season. They just need to figger out the canuck legal situation. The NHLPA won't see an offer on the table like the one before the season was cancelled:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=118661

Now if i could just watch the college playoffs....g'damn ESPN/ESPNU!!! :mad: The Mouse House ain't gonna give that channel away for free, so there goes the cable bill once it gets added. :flame:

-Kevin

dando
03-23-05, 01:13 AM
Pretty much anyplace within 6 hours is "home ice" for Michigan Hockey. Grand Rapids isn't as bad for visiting teams as Ann Arbor was for the Sioux a few years ago.

I was in the front row for the 1996 Frozen Four in Cincinnati. Those games felt like a home games! (Especially the National Championship game - that's one that ESPN Classic should break out!)
The varmit faithful travel well, eh? ;) Heck, folks in Cincy don't attend baseball games, let alone hockey games...no surprise there would be a big U/M crowd there. Perhaps we'll get a chance to see how many of them critters sneak into Cbus for the Frozen Four. If that happens, I'll break out the varmit traps I usually use only in November (they certainly don't follow the U/M hoopsters). :gomer:

-Kevin

Tifosi24
03-23-05, 11:31 AM
We actually had a discussion about replacement players on the college hockey board, and it would appear that a replacement situation would be very interesting. In both Canada and the United States it is illegal to use foreign workers during a labor dispute. This would mean that all the Canadian teams would have to use Canucks, and the American teams would have to use Americans. I am praying that is doesn't come to replacement players, because that alone would destroy college hockey and likely set it back 25-30 years. This is as big a threat to the sport as a whole than all the rumors of a possible Big Ten hockey conference. Go Maine, beat the Gophers!

dando
03-23-05, 04:32 PM
We actually had a discussion about replacement players on the college hockey board, and it would appear that a replacement situation would be very interesting.
A good analysis of the legal hurdles from TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=113552

Big Ten hockey conference? I wouldn't hold my breath, but never say never...especially after all of the football and basketball conference shuffling the past two years. Only half of the traditional Big Ten teams compete in hockey.

-Kevin

JoeBob
03-23-05, 07:08 PM
This is as big a threat to the sport as a whole than all the rumors of a possible Big Ten hockey conference.

As awesome of a conference as that would be, it would be terrible for College Hockey.

Splitting up the Big Ten Teams between the WCHA and CCHA helps the sport as a whole.

Now, if you wanted to expand the College Hockey Showcase to include Ohio State...

P.S.
http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/ccha/graphics/index-mich-champs-photo.jpg

dando
03-24-05, 10:18 PM
Where's that throw up smilie when ya need it? ;)

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-25-05, 01:34 AM
why? those ugly buckeye uniforms are nowhere to be seen

trauma1
03-25-05, 12:31 PM
http://www.fightingsioux.com/images/home/topleftlogo.jpg
go fighting sioux.

dando
03-25-05, 01:14 PM
why? those ugly buckeye uniforms are nowhere to be seen
Better'n that crappy looking burnt orange garb UT wears. Good to see the lady 'horns keep up the grand UT tradition of tourney losses. :p

-Kevin

Ankf00
03-25-05, 01:17 PM
*shrug* don't see ohio state there :gomer:

dando
03-26-05, 01:12 AM
*shrug* don't see ohio state there
Where? 2A hockey playoffs? There. Ladies hoops tourney? Still there. Mens hoopies? OK, you got me, but then yer "we suck" line is 'Aggy' (as you refer to it), so that's a push. Can you hear me now? Ank = :gomer: :D

So there. :p

Can't wait for the Frozen Four here in 2 weeks. Finally some damn hockey to catch b4 racing season starts. :thumbup:

-Kevin

dando
03-27-05, 12:21 AM
Oy! Puckeyes squander a 2-0 lead to Big Red and lose 3-2. :cry: U/M pisses away a 3-0 lead and lose to CO College 4-3. :shakehead AH well...it's still gona be fun watching the Frozen Four here in Cbus. :thumbup:

-Kevin

Night Train
03-27-05, 12:26 AM
I'm just enjoying hearing Thorne & Clement call hockey. Though they have faults, I've missed them.

Tifosi24
03-27-05, 10:19 PM
RESPECT!!! WCHA gets all four teams into the Frozen Four. I think it can be argued that this may be the strongest conference top-to-bottom in all of college sports. I can't say I am happy with Minnesota's getting past Cornell, but what are you gonna do, they are still going to lose. To all of those out there, you can't miss Denver and Colorado College in the Semis. Two best teams in the nation going at it, and they are like Duke and UNC in basketball for rivalry. Two weeks is too long of a wait.

dando
03-27-05, 10:26 PM
RESPECT!!! WCHA gets all four teams into the Frozen Four. I think it can be argued that this may be the strongest conference top-to-bottom in all of college sports. I can't say I am happy with Minnesota's getting past Cornell, but what are you gonna do, they are still going to lose. To all of those out there, you can't miss Denver and Colorado College in the Semis. Two best teams in the nation going at it, and they are like Duke and UNC in basketball for rivalry. Two weeks is too long of a wait.
I'm looking forward to seeing the Frozen Four in person. :) Hoping I don't miss the first game of the Final Four due to a business commitment, tho. :( I'll let y'all know how it goes. :)

-Kevin

trauma1
03-28-05, 08:39 AM
i was lucky that fox here in cheeseland had all the games on this weekend, the WCHA kicked butt, IMO UND was the most impressive this weekend, as for teams that hate each other und and Minn is it, to bad the games this weekednd were off the radar, i'm sure hockey east will pull a bitch fit about 4 wcha teams in the frozen four, but 3 teams did it on the road in the east and it should be wide open this weekend i'll go with UND they are gettting hot at the right time,

Dr. Corkski
03-28-05, 05:17 PM
Yeah, beating up on a freshman goalie who couldn't stop a beach ball against Belarus at the WJC was real impressive. :laugh:

trauma1
03-28-05, 05:34 PM
then BC was the most over rated #1 seed in the tourneys history, #1 ranked in the country and getting thier butts handed to them at home, UND and UM should be a good one same with Du and CC, now just get the tourney at the Ralph

Tifosi24
04-07-05, 12:48 PM
The big day has finally arrived, the beginning of the Frozen Four. An all WCHA affair with the best semi-final being relegated to the afternoon slot. Anyone who is able to catch the Denver CC game should, because it will a cracker. Two well disciplined teams who ended up tied for first at the end of the season. My prediction is a 3-2 CC win in free hockey time on a goal from Sertich with an assist from Brett Sterling. The second game is Minny vs North Dakota. I am not nearly as excited about this one, but UND is on a series roll right now (10 out of 11, with their only loss coming without Parise in the pipes) I think they will roll. Tyler "Off his rocker" Hirsch hasn't played in weeks because of his breakdown, and he won't be near the factory in this game. My prediction is a 5-2 UND win, with the 5th goal coming on an empty net. I am überpissed right now because I have a test during the first game, and then night class during the second :mad: :mad: . Oh well, at least I get to see the championship game.

trauma1
04-07-05, 03:26 PM
go UND, should be a great tourny all rivals tonight,

Ankf00
04-07-05, 08:24 PM
I'm lazy, tell me who won the first one today :gomer:

dando
04-07-05, 10:38 PM
I'm lazy, tell me who won the first one today :gomer:
UD smoked CC 6-2. I sat one section over from Eddie Belfour, who was in the middle of the UND fans. :thumbup: UND schooled the Gophers, who decided to show and play a bit late after they were down 4-0. Should be a good final Sat. Cool little camera ESPN has running along a track on the sin bin side of the ice.

-Kevin

dando
04-07-05, 10:42 PM
Anyone who is able to catch the Denver CC game should, because it will a cracker. Two well disciplined teams who ended up tied for first at the end of the season. My prediction is a 3-2 CC win in free hockey time on a goal from Sertich with an assist from Brett Sterling. The second game is Minny vs North Dakota. I am not nearly as excited about this one, but UND is on a series roll right now (10 out of 11, with their only loss coming without Parise in the pipes) I think they will roll. Tyler "Off his rocker" Hirsch hasn't played in weeks because of his breakdown, and he won't be near the factory in this game. My prediction is a 5-2 UND win, with the 5th goal coming on an empty net.

Not such a good call on the 1st game. By all accounts, CC was seriously outmatched in that one. I had meetings all afternoon, so I missed the first game. :(

Better call on the second one. UND should have won by a wider margin, but missed a few shots in close, or off the post. Looking forward to a good final Sat. UND fans represented well, but the UM cheerleaders were cuter. ;)

-Kevin

Don Quixote
04-08-05, 07:32 AM
but the UM cheerleaders were cuter. ;)

-Kevin
Please tell me there weren't cheerleaders at a hockey game. :thumdown:

Tifosi24
04-08-05, 08:10 AM
There are cheerleaders at hockey games, and it is generally a very bad thing. Except when they biff on the ice, that is a good thing.

trauma1
04-08-05, 11:40 AM
go fighting sioux. 2005 NCAA Champs

dando
04-08-05, 12:17 PM
Please tell me there weren't cheerleaders at a hockey game. :thumdown:
Yup. Both teams. Never seen that b4...plus that goofy gopher was out there, too. The UM ladies even changed outfits for the 2nd intermission. I thought I was passionate about hockey. Guess again. :eek:

But as I told one of the UND fans, our band does script Ohio on the ice. :p

-Kevin

dando
04-08-05, 12:19 PM
There are cheerleaders at hockey games, and it is generally a very bad thing. Except when they biff on the ice, that is a good thing.
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of it. Tho, I felt sorry for the ladies waving the ginormous flags on the ice. :eek:

-Kevin

Dr. Corkski
04-09-05, 09:43 PM
I am glad DU beat those classless clowns. Mannino >>> UND. :thumbup:

Paintergeek
04-09-05, 10:17 PM
Despite a lack of NHL action this year, I didnt get too 'into' the frozen four this year. Maybe it was the lack of teams of interest (to me), but I just couldnt get into it. I had the games on, Watched casually, and overall, it was good hockey. But I just wasnt groovin on it. Maybe the upcoming CCWS season has my brain preoccupied.

dando
04-09-05, 10:53 PM
I am glad DU beat those classless clowns. Mannino >>> UND. :thumbup:
Dunno about UND being classless...I've only seen them play twice this season.Dint seem to play like that from what I saw. Besides, dint a UD player break a UND's playah's neck? Also, Statz jumped into the glass right in front of the Sioux fans after scoring to make it 3-1. Mannino was the MAN, fer sure.

Anyway, it wasn't a great game, but I love the flow in college hockey compared to the pros.

-Kevin

Tifosi24
04-10-05, 05:18 PM
I would have to side with Cork on the classless side. But I am probably biased because the Sioux defensemen were throwing pucks into the stands and hitting students on purpose in Mankato a couple years ago. I was on the boards and took a puck that need three staples and a girl took one to the mouth. I think she need dental surgery to fix what happened to her. Also, DU didn't have a captain get an OWI this year and get suspended for two games against Bemidji State. Pakovich is a cheap b*stard, but at least he got suspended for games that meant something.

Dr. Corkski
04-10-05, 07:41 PM
Once UND big boys realized they couldn't push the DU players like they did against UM, they started going after Mannino instead. Tough guys indeed. Matt Greene might turn out to be a half-decent minor league d-man if stem cell research can find a way to grow a brain inside of his head. :gomer:

trauma1
04-11-05, 08:51 AM
und got screwed on that no goal , it changed the game, and i was at the game when und and wis had the fight pre game in the 70's straight out of slapshot it was wild back then

dando
04-11-05, 11:33 AM
und got screwed on that no goal , it changed the game
I couldn't a good look at that....it was @ the other end of the ice, and they only showed a couple of limited replays in the arena. What happened?

-Kevin

trauma1
04-11-05, 12:05 PM
the denver tender caught the puck behind the line, and the upstairs people did the nfl crap not conclusive, replay clearly showed the puck crossed the goal line, but they called it a no goal :flame:

Tifosi24
04-11-05, 12:33 PM
Was Mannino's save a goal, yes it was. But there wasn't enough conclusive evidence to overturn the call. You can't overturn something like that in a championship game unless you can physically see the puck. In super slow motion it was 80% clear, and that is nowhere near close enough to overrule the original call. Mannino was rock solid and Denver was the better team. After seeing Mannino get shelled for 5 goals against us in February, I didn't think it was possible that Denver could win again, but they did and my hat goes off to them.

trauma1
04-11-05, 02:23 PM
that's what the replay rule is for, every goal in the tourny had to be verified by replay, this was no different, it was a goal on replay and thus should have been allowed, they wimped out and did a FTG and a 497.5

Tifosi24
03-05-06, 12:46 AM
Time to resurrect this bad boy considering this is the first weekend of the playoffs for some teams. As I am typing this Yale and Union are playing in the 4th longest game in NCAA history. I am pumped because the Mavericks get to play the Fighting Ralphs next week in Grand Forks. I wish it wasn't 10 hours away or I would be there. The most wonderful time of the year for college hockey.

Tifosi24
03-05-06, 02:55 AM
Yale and Union finally ended in the 5OT with Yale getting a shorthanded tally. Longest men's hockey game in NCAA history and was just three minutes from the longest in any NCAA hockey men or women.

RTKar
03-05-06, 01:31 PM
Time to resurrect this bad boy considering this is the first weekend of the playoffs for some teams. As I am typing this Yale and Union are playing in the 4th longest game in NCAA history. I am pumped because the Mavericks get to play the Fighting Ralphs next week in Grand Forks. I wish it wasn't 10 hours away or I would be there. The most wonderful time of the year for college hockey.

You gunna be at the Bradley Center for the Frozen Four?...I plan to, don't have tics though...

Tifosi24
03-05-06, 02:05 PM
Tickets have been sold out since August, so I am not planning on attending unless Mankato pulls the biggest Cinderalla march since Jimmy V's North Carolina State team. I will likely be downtown at one of the bars to watch the game, unless of course the Goofers are in the championship, then I don't know if I can stand the rodent arrogance.

RTKar
03-05-06, 02:18 PM
Tickets have been sold out since August, so I am not planning on attending unless Mankato pulls the biggest Cinderalla march since Jimmy V's North Carolina State team. I will likely be downtown at one of the bars to watch the game, unless of course the Goofers are in the championship, then I don't know if I can stand the rodent arrogance.

..not even to see Kessel?

Tifosi24
03-05-06, 02:37 PM
I saw Kessel play in Mankato last year when he was on the U-18 development squad and I got enough to know he is America's Crosby. The fans of Goofer hockey are enough to stay far away from anywhere they play.

Dr. Corkski
03-05-06, 03:09 PM
Phil Kessel = NHL bust waiting to happen.

RTKar
03-05-06, 10:27 PM
Phil Kessel = NHL bust waiting to happen.

I haven't seen the guy play, just from what I've read I would think the advantage would be to Kessel in the new rules NHL.