PDA

View Full Version : Wilson and RuSport top Wednesday testing

devilmaster
03-10-05, 01:20 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=117834&hubName=auto_racing

Justin Wilson recorded the fastest time in Champ Car testing on Wednesday while teammate A.J. Allmendinger was third quickest.

"I think we have everything in place to be competitive this season," Wilson said, after setting a top lap of 52.71. "The team is doing a great job, we're all learning and building our chemistry. We have the parts to be good, it is just a matter of putting all the pieces together."

Cristiano da Matta, who set the fastest time on Tuesday, split the two RuSport cars, improving his time by nearly a half-second to 52.81. Allmendinger's best lap was 52.86.

Paul Tracy was fourth quickest, 2-10ths of a second behind Wilson, after spending most of the session testing an assortment of aerodynamic components and various front wing configurations, along with several transmission differential setups.

"We had a big list today and got a lot done, but I think at the very end when conditions were ideal we didn't have the optimum combination on the car and probably left some time out there on the track" said Tracy. "But we gathered a lot of good data and have a excellent baseline for the next test at Sebring."

Jimmy Vasser made his first appearance at the test, finishing with the fifth fastest time.

"We were definitely competitive at times out here today," Vasser said. "I think Cristiano has been a great addition to the team and things are really starting to work. I think Champ Car fans are going to see a whole new side of PKV Racing this year."

Canadian Andrew Ranger was behind the wheel of the Mi-Jack/Conquest Lola for the second straight day, improving upon his time from Tuesday and finishing just a half second off the pace set by Wilson.

For the second straight day, the top six cars were separated by just 6-10ths of a second, something Vasser thinks bodes well for the upcoming season.

"More than half the field is going to be very strong and fans are going to be rewarded with a great championship because a lot of guys are going to have a chance to win races."

The next Champ Car test is scheduled for Sebring in Florida and Fontana in California the week of March 22.