PDA

View Full Version : DaMatta gives his opinion.....

devilmaster
03-10-05, 01:18 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?ID=117836&hubName=auto_racing

Da Matta: Toyota 'completely lost'

TSN.ca Staff

3/10/2005

Cristiano da Matta says Toyota's Formula One team are "completely lost" and the individuals running the team are "sensitive and insecure".

Da Matta, who is returning to Champ Car racing after two less than fulfilling seasons in Formula One, held nothing back on his former squad in an interview with the Brazilian newspaper, Diario de S. Paulo.

"I didn't get the opportunity I deserved, but I was in F1 for two years, and I got there by my own merits, not by buying my way in as many drivers do these days," said da Matta, who was released by the team midway through last season.

Da Matta says he did not fit in "politically" with the team.

"I have always spoken my mind everywhere that I've raced, and I'm used to pointing out a car's weaknesses so the team can work on improving it," said the diminutive driver known affectionately as 'shorty'. "But at Toyota, whenever I said the car understeered, people got upset... Everybody was sensitive and insecure."

Da Matta added that he was offered a chance to drive for Chip Ganassi's Indy Racing League team but elected to sign with Kevin Kalkhoven's PKV Racing team which includes former series champion Jimmy Vasser.

"I don't find the IRL as attractive as Champ Car - I prefer a majority of road courses, not ovals."

"Champ Car hit rock bottom in 2003, but improved a lot last year and I believe it will get even better," said da Matta.

Winston Wolfe
03-10-05, 01:23 PM
I like the part where they refer to his nickname as "shorty" and not "Shorty"....

CDM will do well, and I sincerely hope that JV can get himself a few podiums this year, because the dude has stuck with CCWS and been a staunch supporter, but also a critic when it is necessary, and I think he and PT have done alot for the series.

Shorty never really talked smack about CCWS, but seems to have always stated his case when asked about the .1rl.... but it seems honesty doesnt work all that well in F1.... glad to have him back, especially since he isnt in one of those damned Toyota products...

Wabbit
03-10-05, 03:20 PM
A very nice way of putting things. There are 2 ways to express displeasure, crapping on everyone, and being classy about it. DeMatta is the class act.

Dr. Corkski
03-10-05, 05:01 PM
He's calling them "sensetive and insecure" yet he's the one here bitching and whining about what happened months ago? :saywhat:

NismoZ
03-10-05, 06:27 PM
:shakehead

nrc
03-10-05, 06:40 PM
He's calling them "sensetive and insecure" yet he's the one here bitching and whining about what happened months ago? :saywhat:

If that's your idea of bitching and whining I'd like to see your reaction to being locked in a room with Mikey Andretti for 30 minutes.

Ankf00
03-10-05, 06:53 PM
earplugs. oh god... earplugs!!!

B3RACER1a
03-10-05, 08:30 PM
He's just saying what we all know.

CARTNUT
03-10-05, 08:45 PM
And to think that I cheered when he went out early in the "500" back in '02. (Again, Ant, I apologize for that. :D ) Now he's Vasser's teammate; Well, I guess a big GO SHORTY!!! :p™ is in order!

'NUT :gomer: