PDA

View Full Version : announcers?

pkvracing12
03-09-05, 09:16 PM
Does anyone know who the new tv announcers are? Becuase I sure as hell hope its not Rick Benjamin,Or Bob Jenkins!

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-05, 09:29 PM
Does anyone know who the new tv announcers are? Becuase I sure as hell hope its not Rick Benjamin,Or Bob Jenkins!

Well, Jenkins did just get hired by SPEED...

;)

CART T. Katz
03-09-05, 09:31 PM
according to the people over at cw, rick benjamin is in

nrc
03-09-05, 09:41 PM
I thought Benjamin did a decent job last year. He wasn't too bad at the start and he got better with a few races.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-09-05, 10:14 PM
I'd like to see Bob Varsha again. He's the best IMO.

lone_groover
03-09-05, 10:28 PM
Benjamin is an I*L lover.

Believe me, I realize how serious and potentially good-name-destroying and reputation-ruining this accusation can be. BUT, I distinctly remember reading some PRO-I*L/ANITI-CART opinions expressed by the very Benjamin in question, on Tony-loving websites, a few years back.

Wish I had more, but I never expected to ever hear this guy's name connected with OWRS/CART, 'else, I'd have kept a record.

f'real

:thumdown:

indyfan31
03-09-05, 10:36 PM
Benjamin and Kendall did a good job last year, I'd be fine with the same team this year.

manic mechanic
03-09-05, 10:37 PM
I'd settle for Benjamin, Daly, Beekhius and TK as the main team. They seemed to work well together and chemistry in an announcing team takes time to build.

Production rivaling the Lingner group would also help..A quality broadcast crew would make it a lot easier on the announcers.

..Oh, sorry Bronte...We are saving your segment for a LONG caution. Not that we don't like looking at/listening to you, but we are here to WATCH THE RACE. :D

manic

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-05, 10:38 PM

Believe me, I realize how serious and potentially good-name-destroying and reputation-ruining this accusation can be. BUT, I distinctly remember reading some PRO-I*L/ANITI-CART opinions expressed by the very Benjamin in question, on Tony-loving websites, a few years back.

Wish I had more, but I never expected to ever hear this guy's name connected with OWRS/CART, 'else, I'd have kept a record.

f'real

People can change, l_g. Remember a few years ago people like me and Racewriter were IRL supporters too.

nissan gtp
03-09-05, 10:40 PM
Varsa and Kendall would be perfect.

And Robin Miller down in the pits :D .... or the booth :rofl:

lone_groover
03-09-05, 10:55 PM
I'd keep Kendall, but add Shaw, Hobbs and Diffey......and Jeanine Garofalo.

:)

Robstar
03-10-05, 12:07 AM
Shaw :thumbup:

Chief
03-10-05, 12:12 AM
Anyone but Chris McClure.

Hard Driver
03-10-05, 12:55 AM
Shaw :thumbup:

2nd that !

JoeBob
03-10-05, 01:23 AM
Put me in the Rick Benjamin camp. He's good at what he does. Teaming with TK, they got better and better as the year went on.

Give me Beekhuis and Brian Till in the pits, and we're all set. (I also wouldn't mind a return of Gary Gerould, but he seems to still be with ABC/ESPN in some capacity.)

Calvin Fish but I just don't see ChampCar growing with foreign accented announcers in prominent roles. Bill Simmons wrote this recently about the Late Late Show, and it really is true:

Craig Ferguson's accent is like dating a woman with one leg ... you can pretend that it doesn't matter, but it does, and that's just the way it is.

The same goes for Daly, Hobbs, Fish, and others.

Mr. Vengeance
03-10-05, 01:45 AM
Calvin Fish but I just don't see ChampCar growing with foreign accented announcers in prominent roles.

Hey, that's never stopped NASCAR ;)

BOOGITY!

Michaelhatesfans
03-10-05, 02:21 AM
Hey, that's never stopped NASCAR ;)

BOOGITY!
No *****!
Blowed tars? WTF is that?

JohnHKart
03-10-05, 07:54 AM
Parker Johnstone is off the NHRA telecasts so he must be available, unless they reassigned him to ESPN2 lawn bowling or something.

John

nrc
03-10-05, 11:26 AM
No *****!
Blowed tars? WTF is that?

It may be furrin ta you, but it ain't to the boys down at the Jiffy Lube.

Insomniac
03-10-05, 11:33 AM
Parker Johnstone is off the NHRA telecasts so he must be available, unless they reassigned him to ESPN2 lawn bowling or something.

John

I would think Parker would replace TK. As much as I liked Parker, I think they should stick with TK. He's been at it for a couple years now.

I liked Rick Benjamin a lot better than Baghdad Bob. I wish they could get Bob Varsha back.

JLMannin
03-10-05, 12:55 PM
How about Paul Page, Sam Posey, and Bobby Unser in the booth with Jackie Stewart as the pit reporter?

Just kidding :D

As lond as Bob Jenkins is not involved, I'll be OK with just about anyone mentioned above.

G.
03-10-05, 02:35 PM
How about Paul Page, Sam Posey, and Bobby Unser in the booth with Jackie Stewart as the pit reporter?

Just kidding :D

As lond as Bob Jenkins is not involved, I'll be OK with just about anyone mentioned above.Paul Page wouldn't do it. There's not enough Hospitality tents at the track. Who would he mooch beer off of?

TK is a must, Varsha would be great, but Benjamin did fine last year, with crappy production even. Who was that forgettable idiot that Benjamin replaced?

theunions
03-10-05, 02:49 PM
.....and Jeanine Garofalo.

:)

Wait...this isn't the "worst movie ever" thread... :p

RichK
03-10-05, 02:55 PM
Hearing Rick Benjamin always reminds me of ASA races, or some kind of lower level stock car series. He just doesn't have the formula car background & sense of history like Jeremy Shaw or Bob Varsha.

He's doing a good job, though, and it could be worse (Jenkins).

Turn7
03-10-05, 03:12 PM
I liked the broadcasts last year.

I am not a booth groupy though. As long as they don't screw up the names, know who is in what car and can act like this isn't their first rodeo, then they will do.

Junkins couldn't even do that. He was a tool from the word go.

Peter Venkman
03-10-05, 03:59 PM
"and Jeanine Garofalo...."

Isn't she from Hanoi?

theunions
03-10-05, 06:02 PM

f'real

I assume you know that for the past two months or so, he's been writing exclusive pieces for AR1.

Sean O'Gorman
03-10-05, 08:03 PM
I assume you know that for the past two months or so, he's been writing exclusive pieces for AR1.

I wasn't aware of that, because AR1 sucks

RTKar
03-10-05, 09:10 PM
"and Jeanine Garofalo...."

Isn't she from Hanoi?

No, that's Jane Fonda...

JohnHKart
03-11-05, 08:19 AM
Hearing Rick Benjamin always reminds me of ASA races, or some kind of lower level stock car series. He just doesn't have the formula car background & sense of history like Jeremy Shaw or Bob Varsha.

He's doing a good job, though, and it could be worse (Jenkins).

I know what you mean.....I keep expecting him to say...."Boris Said in the Mustang is passing Peter Shea's Entrepreneur car, we'll be right back here in Long Beach with Trans Am racing."

John

Kink
03-11-05, 09:32 AM
Jenkins should never even be considered IMO. Clearly an IRL shill

I have never warmed up to Kendall. His pit window, yellow flag, and rule explanations are choppy and long. (As entertaining as a trip to the dentist) :gomer:

I wonder how Beekhuis and Mark Blundell might handle the booth, with Daly & Sullivan in the pits.

The above are just my observations and I should not be confused with anyone with professional broadcast knowledge !!

NismoZ
03-11-05, 04:56 PM
Jon HAS to be somewhere. I really like that guy! (I think he's best used in the pits, however, where I believe he is highly respected.)

FCYTravis
03-11-05, 05:03 PM
Jon Beekhuis is THE MAN...

I know a lot of people get annoyed by Derek Daly but he has something magic that makes him a great reporter.

G.
03-11-05, 05:27 PM
I know a lot of people get annoyed by Derek Daly but he has something magic that makes him a great reporter.A love for Champ Cair racing perhaps?

RTKar
03-11-05, 06:57 PM
A love for Champ Cair racing perhaps?

I agree, I think he's an "old school" F1 guy from back in the days when there was a bit less technology and drivers mattered more. I think he see's some of that bygone era in Champcar.

TravelGal
03-13-05, 05:49 PM
Jon Beekhuis is THE MAN...

I know a lot of people get annoyed by Derek Daly but he has something magic that makes him a great reporter.

SOMEWHERE, I have the best CART>CCWS picture I've ever taken. It's DD in full steam rushing from one pit to the next with entourage flowing behind. He saw me with the camera poised and gave this HUGE wave and smile.

The Doctor
03-16-05, 02:00 PM
Benjamin and Daly in the booth, Beekhuis and Fish in the pits. Ralph Sheheen added for the CBS races. No TK. Solid lineup, even without TK. :thumbup:

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/News/Article.asp?ID=8752

KLang
03-16-05, 02:07 PM
:thumbup:

I will miss TK though.

Rogue Leader
03-16-05, 02:14 PM
No TK but very solid, good news!

RichK
03-16-05, 02:15 PM
Great to see Derek and Jon back!

FCYTravis
03-16-05, 02:34 PM
JON BEEKHUIS!!!!!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Al-RIGHT!

Thank you, Champ Car!

JoeBob
03-16-05, 02:43 PM
A full season of Jon in the pits! Woo Hoo!

I'd prefer TK to DD in the booth, but we take what we can get.

Also interesting to see that Chris McClure will be covering some races when Fish has conflicts. I know he got tagged earlier in the thread, but I think he has some potential. There's certainly been worse pit reporters. (See: Pruett, Scott)

lone_groover
03-16-05, 02:55 PM
Whatever happened to Tane?

:gomer:

KLang
03-16-05, 03:27 PM
:thumbup:

I will miss TK though.

We may see still see some of TK in the booth. According to the rocketsports website he is running in Trans-Am for 2005 so he'll be around some race weekends.

rosawendel
03-16-05, 03:31 PM
http://www.champcarworldseries.com/content/photos/2005/By400/20050316P_0001.jpg
kindof a cool little logo thingie....

racer2c
03-16-05, 03:37 PM
I actually prefer Daly over Kendall. Sure Daly is self centered, but at least he drove in Champ Car and F1 and doesn't sound like he's been partying all night right up to the broadcast.

nrc
03-16-05, 03:58 PM
There's certainly been worse pit reporters. (See: Pruett, Scott)

Wokka wokka wokka.

Andrew Longman
03-16-05, 04:26 PM
I actually prefer Daly over Kendall. Sure Daly is self centered, but at least he drove in Champ Car and F1 and doesn't sound like he's been partying all night right up to the broadcast.

I'll miss TK too but I have to agree that sometimes his color commentary was about as colorful as a Pollock painting. See http://artwork.barewalls.com/product/framer.exe?ArtworkID=176146&thumbs=1&productid=203659

Sometimes I felt hungover just listening to him.

I did enjoy the candid glimpse into the side of racing fans rarely see though.

Great news on Beekus :thumbup:

Steve99
03-16-05, 08:38 PM
Also interesting to see that Chris McClure will be covering some races when Fish has conflicts. I know he got tagged earlier in the thread, but I think he has some potential. There's certainly been worse pit reporters. (See: Pruett, Scott)

Chris McClure (if it is who I think it is) seem like he should be in the NASCAR pits. :thumdown:

It will be interesting to have DD in the booth all season, to see how it goes. I have my doubts.

Edit: Did the article disappear from the website. That link just takes me to a list of articles, and I don't see anything about his announcement.

racer2c
03-16-05, 08:45 PM
It will be interesting to have DD in the booth all season, to see how it goes. I have my doubts.

Doubts about what? It is not Dalys first full time in the booth.

nrc
03-16-05, 10:30 PM
Edit: Did the article disappear from the website. That link just takes me to a list of articles, and I don't see anything about his announcement.

Link works for me...