PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Tidbit from Indianapolis

Tifosi24
03-08-05, 06:14 PM
Boredom in the library will always lead to an interesting find. While I was going through JSTOR I came across an interesting journal article about public financing of new sporting venues. From a random phone survey that was conducted, the Indianapolis 500 ranked 4th on a list of 10 events in the community on the basis of civic pride. Museums, the Pacers, and the Colts all ranked in front of the Indy 500. I noticed that the article was from 1998 so it would be interesting to see how the speedway would do in an updated phone survey. I wish I could post a link to the article, but it is on JSTOR and you need to have a membership to view the article. For those that don't mind some educational reading the article is titled "Who benefits from the Presence of Professional Sports Teams." Science can even prove that Indy isn't what it use to be.

Note: (The Pacer statistics are likely skewed in their favor because the phone surveys were conducted in May 1996, which would be during the playoffs. I just noticed that the time of the survey would also aid the Indy 500 in its ranking.)