PDA

View Full Version : Pining for the Good Old Daze of the IRL

pchall
03-08-05, 12:47 PM
Costs forcing teams out of the IRL (http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/11066596.htm)

Sometimes it’s the things he doesn’t see anymore that Ron Hemelgarn sees clearest.

Ten years along he looks across the landscape of Tony George’s excellent adventure, and its contours are unrecognizable, its face increasingly alien. So much has changed, he says, since the day in 1996 when he sent his driver, Buddy Lazier, off on the pole in that first Indy Racing League event in Orlando. So many old friends have vanished from the scene.

The he gets a bit of the Kool-Aid shakes:

“We’re probably a victim of our own success,” he says. “I think it became so successful, and it looked like, ‘Wow, this is the right way to go.’ Unfortunately with that came runaway costs, and it’s very hard to compete against large corporate dollars.”

Interesting stuff.

lone_groover
03-08-05, 01:00 PM
Poor fat gomer.....et in Hootervile ego.

:cry:

Spicoli
03-08-05, 02:01 PM
**** fat ron.

ask around in indy if he pays his bills. :finger:

fourrunner
03-08-05, 09:19 PM
He's Ugly Too!

SurfaceUnits
03-08-05, 10:27 PM
^^^ and his momma dresses him funny

dando
03-08-05, 10:39 PM
How pathetic. :shakehead :gomer: :laugh:

-Kevin

cart7
03-08-05, 11:05 PM
Boo hoo, Ron. I guess it is looking more and more like Cart for you vs. the early years. You were a backmarker then and you're a backmarker now.

BTW, how's that pit fueling procedure going with the boys? Ya know, The one where you don't stick a fuel hose into a burning car? :laugh:

SteveH
03-08-05, 11:19 PM
I remember when Buddy won Indy, Hemelgarn got all puff-chested about it and made some comment that the little teams had a chance now. :rolleyes: Not anymore ya' slouch. :shakehead

Peter Venkman
03-09-05, 01:01 AM
Poor widdle confused Hemelgarn.

Expect him to bite the dust and Findlay Racing to take over his deal with Michael McDowell in the seat.

theunions
03-09-05, 05:34 AM
Poor widdle confused Hemelgarn.

Expect him to bite the dust and Findlay Racing to take over his deal with Michael McDowell in the seat.

Is that a guess, or is that why Michael's website says he's still looking at a possible 500 deal for this year???

If the latter...as long as his teammate (who got yanked out of a Hemelgarn seat without turning a wheel) gets a second seat, I'll be more than happy with that turn of events.