PDA

View Full Version : The Big One

RacinM3
03-07-05, 02:52 PM
I've noticed that the IRL'istas have picked up the term "The Big One" in reference to the largest crash in each race. Interesting.

That's all.

Jervis Tetch 1
03-07-05, 03:28 PM
I just hope their "Big One" doesn't turn out to be a fatal one. None of us want that.

But those dorks at FTF think we want their cars to crash and drivers to die. What a bunch of morons :flame:

trauma1
03-07-05, 03:34 PM
unfortunatly this will become a returning theme of EARLS season :thumdown:

Spicoli
03-07-05, 03:48 PM
They have also learnt ta crash all by themelfs. :gomer:

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20050306/capt.hms11403062240.irl_indy_300_hms114.jpg

Don Quixote
03-07-05, 04:25 PM
Wait, are you kidding me? Driving over-down-forced open wheel cars on oval tracks in large packs has resulted in an accident? No way! :saywhat:

Accipiter
03-08-05, 11:51 AM
I've noticed that the IRL'istas have picked up the term "The Big One" in reference to the largest crash in each race. Interesting.

That's all.

I don't watch, so I didn't hear. Was it used with the same sense of fatalistic ineveitbility too?

pchall
03-08-05, 12:04 PM
The Big One has been one of my objections to what the IRL presents on high banked ovals for years. Of course, that Big One got the IRL more air time in sports segments on TV across the land than the intrinsic merits of that "race" ever could.

The IRL will not revise its engine formula and chassis regs to change things, just like NASCAR will not change its formula and regs. At least in NASCAR they have a product that sells -- destruction and mayhem with ameliorated risk. But the IRL puts drivers at higher risk race after race and has injured and maimed many for few fans in the stands and a negligable TV audience. That is why I only disdain NASCAR and despise the IRL.

Hard Driver
03-08-05, 02:05 PM
I'm sure rubbing = racing is next.

Andrew Longman
03-09-05, 12:35 PM
I don't watch, so I didn't hear. Was it used with the same sense of fatalistic ineveitbility too?

Yes it was. The new IRL announcer, replacing Paige, said something to the effect of, "There it is. The big one finally happened". I don't recall the exact words, but it stuck out for me because I had never heard the term "big one" before on an IRL telecast and they usually make a big deal out of the fact that they don't wreck while racing so close. This was different.

And of course there is a big difference between wrecking a 3400# steel caged car at 185 and a 1540# open cockpit carbon fibre monocoque at 220. Its bad enough to celebrate the former, the latter is just sick. Ask Kenny Brack. Or ask Danica how she feels about Sunday's big one.

Accipiter
03-09-05, 04:47 PM
That's nuts. :shakehead

But then again, given the racing in the IRL, it really is an inevetability, isn't it? And Unlike NASCAR Cup, they can use the phrase more than 4 times a year.

devilmaster
03-09-05, 06:53 PM
Or ask Danica how she feels about Sunday's big one.

if you do, wait a week or so..... she needs time to remember ;)

Steve

Gnam
03-09-05, 07:05 PM
Maybe they could start betting on which lap the Big One will occur?

"C'mon 64, papa needs some new tires for the El Camino." :gomer:

RTKar
03-09-05, 07:17 PM
I see a lawsuit...Bill France and tg arguing over whose is bigger.

Steve99
03-09-05, 07:41 PM
SPEED News Sunday was all about the Big One. They replayed it like 15 times, and interviewed all the drivers about it (except for Danica, because she doesn't remember the race).

dando
03-09-05, 09:30 PM
Ask Kenny Brack.

Speaking of which, what happened to Kinny?

-Kevin

devilmaster
03-09-05, 11:02 PM
Speaking of which, what happened to Kinny?

-Kevin

From KennyBrack.com

Dear friends,

The IndyCar season starts next weekend in Homestead, Florida. I will be there, but not in the cockpit, instead I will be doing TV-commentary for ESPN.......

{Big section on earl forcasting crap}

......As for my own driving plans, they are still up in the air. The only think I know is that I am now fully recovered from the accident and I would like to drive IndyCars again. But having said that I am only going to do it if the opportunity allows me to be competitive.

There are no seats open for the season although there seemed to be an opportunity with all the right elements on the table to run Indy 500 a while ago. Unfortunately it fell through a couple of weeks back.
Right now I don’t see any other such opportunities in the IndyCar series so I think chances are really slim, but like the old saying, “It ain’t over ‘til it’s over”.

After the Homestead race I will go back to Columbus and pack my bags to go to Australia. I am going there to visit with Dick Johnson Racing in the Australian V8-Supercar Series.
They run their first championship-race in Adelaide on the 19th thru 20th
of March.

This series is very successful and with a lot of big professional teams and a huge fan base. The cars are Fords and Holden’s with V8-engines of around 600 hp.

From what I understand the cars are quite “unusual” to drive and there are very little testing opportunities available so it is quite difficult to do well against drivers who spent most their lives in this environment. On top of that the steering wheel and gear stick is on the wrong side of the car!
There has been quite a few “overseas” drivers trying to break into this series over the years but they’ve had a tough time. Nonetheless I am going there to learn about the series, the teams and the racing and I am sure it will be interesting.

Otherwise life is treating me good. Karma is growing and she is so much fun to be around. I am also playing some music, the band is writing songs and we are having fun with it.

Talk to you soon,
Kenny.

Dr. Corkski
03-10-05, 05:28 AM
I bet the vision had a Kosuke Maatsura-Tomas Scheckter rivalry from the beginning. :gomer:

Andrew Longman
03-10-05, 01:12 PM
I see a lawsuit...Bill France and tg arguing over whose is bigger.

If I was a NASCAR lawyer I'd be looking to trademark "The Big One".

dando
03-10-05, 07:26 PM
Thx, Steve. Good to hear he's doing well, too bad he's still trying to get back into a crapwagon. :shakehead

-Kevin

FCYTravis
03-11-05, 05:50 PM
I bet the vision had a Kosuke Maatsura-Tomas Scheckter rivalry from the beginning. :gomer:
What's the rivalry - who crashes first? :laugh: