PDA

View Full Version : OffCamber GPL

RacinM3
01-02-03, 12:49 PM
OK, so this place has been around nearly a full week now. When's the first Official Off-Camber GPL Crashfest going to be???

Warlock!
01-02-03, 01:00 PM
I vote for next weekend (there's still people outta town this weekend). We may not have many GPLers here yet. Foxman, JT, mapguy, you and I... who else?

Winter Warlock!

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 01:28 PM
I'm supposedly retired... but I may ignore advice and try again.

I have too much fun talking smack with JT. :D

Just don't count on me for hosting & organization... the HSP folks do better than me...

RacinM3
01-02-03, 01:52 PM
We could get Canon over here, and what about shelbycobra427??

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 03:34 PM
I setup a YahooGroup for a racing league that never got off the ground. It has a few people on it who may be up for it.

Would you like to take it over, if the name BenchRacers doesn't make you sick? ;)

mapguy
01-02-03, 03:58 PM
Allrighty then. You sucka's are in trouble now! I have been practicing for the past week and my Cooper is runnin smooth. I have just perfected the Scheckter style.

mapguy coming through!

{edit}. I've got a 'bubba' of Molson Canadian that I can have sitting beside the PC. (fellow Canadians will know what a 'bubba' is). 1.3 gallons of good Canadian brew!

mnkywrch
01-02-03, 04:13 PM
Cooper?

COOPER?

Why bother, man? :D

mapguy
01-02-03, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mnkywrch
Cooper?

COOPER?

Why bother, man? :D

You just don't know what a Cooper means... :p

Plus it is the easiest car to drive with a stick. Especially at Zandvoort.

DaveL
01-03-03, 01:03 PM
I think my record for most laps run in a Grand Prix is, like, 3 before my piece of eurotrash Lotus suffers some kind of mechanical failure.

When I lost 4th gear at Pocono in my Cup car last week, at least it happened after 150 miles of racing.

mnkywrch
01-03-03, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DaveL
I think my record for most laps run in a Grand Prix is, like, 3 before my piece of eurotrash Lotus suffers some kind of mechanical failure.

When I lost 4th gear at Pocono in my Cup car last week, at least it happened after 150 miles of racing.

I'm convinced you're just shifting the thing wrong.

I beat the Lotus to hell and have no problems.

devilmaster
01-03-03, 02:23 PM
Hey,

I'll jump in if ya don't mind me being Mr. Moving Chicane Devilmaster. :D

Just let me know what track we'll be doin so I have some semblance of how easiest to take everyone out. :p

Steve

DaveL
01-03-03, 02:31 PM
I'm convinced you're just shifting the thing wrong.

I beat the Lotus to hell and have no problems.

Let's see: Lift, clutch, shift, release clutch, get back on throttle, engine or transmission goes kablooeee.

What am I doing wrong?

mapguy
01-03-03, 02:38 PM
Let's see: Lift, clutch, shift, release clutch, get back on throttle, engine or transmission goes kablooeee.

What am I doing wrong?

You've spent too much time driving the 'cabs. You've got to treat it like you are "with" Sandra Bullock, not Anna Nicole Smith...

RacinM3
01-03-03, 03:05 PM
This cracks me up. DaveL, you seem like a smart guy but you've struggled more with the Lotus than anyone I've seen ;) . I know it's intentionally the most fragile car in GPL, but also potentially the fastest. God knows I've seen my fair share of flames in the rear view mirrors! Maybe it's not this formula that's the problem:

Lift, clutch, shift, release clutch, get back on throttle

Maybe you should add some spaces (time) into the formula, like so:

Lift, clutch, shift,__________release clutch, get back on throttle.

mnkywrch
01-03-03, 04:14 PM
You use the clutch?

I only use the clutch on starts.

Lift & shift's what I've done for four years.

And I'm pretty sure it's "historically accurate".

DaveL
01-03-03, 05:18 PM
I only use the clutch on starts.

Lift & shift's what I've done for four years.

If I do that the car will break down after one lap and no, I don't speed shift.

The car is fast, but it's a fragile piece of junk. You can tell Colin I said that.

mnkywrch
01-03-03, 05:25 PM
The car is fast, but it's a fragile piece of junk. You can tell Colin I said that.

Look, you're older than me. Statistically, you'll get to tell him first. ;)

Send me a replay of what you're doing - or I'll send a replay of what I'm doing.

Joe in LA
01-03-03, 05:31 PM
OK, since you brought up GPL, and I finally got the game, wheel/pedal recommendations?

mnkywrch
01-03-03, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Joe in LA
OK, since you brought up GPL, and I finally got the game, wheel/pedal recommendations?

I recommend the Logitech Momo Force Steering Wheel (http://www17.tomshardware.com/consumer/20021127/xmas_2002-05.html)

It should be around $150, maybe a little cheaper.

mnkywrch
01-03-03, 09:27 PM
Here's my attempt at a driving "lesson":

http://www.geocities.com/mnkywrch/lesson1.zip

It's the first time I've driven GPL with an F1 motor since the last 7G outing, so I basically suck.

Four laps but no motor issues. :)

Foxman
01-05-03, 07:12 PM
Lets do it! I'd definitely be down with some competition.

mapguy
01-06-03, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Foxman
Lets do it! I'd definitely be down with some competition.

Hey Foxman. Foxy was the first guy that I raced against online. We made it all the way to the entry of turn one before I lost it and had to use Foxy to help me stay on the track.

Not sore about that are you? :)

Turn7
01-06-03, 11:40 AM
Ok....I have a wheel and pedal combo but, I don't have the game.

I am sure this is it but, I just want to make sure before I purchase it.

This is the game right????

http://www.papy.com/gpl/gpl.index.html

Warlock!
01-06-03, 11:43 AM
You got t T7

Winter Warlock!

Turn7
01-06-03, 11:49 AM
Another question, I see that the minimum system requirements are for Win 95/98, will it work with XP?

mnkywrch
01-06-03, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Turn7
Another question, I see that the minimum system requirements are for Win 95/98, will it work with XP?

it should, yeah...

There's a patch for machines over wih clock speeds over 1.7ghz, but that should be it that I know of...

RacinM3
01-06-03, 12:27 PM
Works great on XP for me....be sure to download all the patches, esp. if you plan on racing online.

Link: http://www.racesimcentral.com/downloads/gpl/tool.shtml

Foxman
01-06-03, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by mapguy
Hey Foxman. Foxy was the first guy that I raced against online. We made it all the way to the entry of turn one before I lost it and had to use Foxy to help me stay on the track.

Not sore about that are you? :)

Not at all, I've done that to people when I was a newbie, or when I am seeing through the red mist. it happens ;-)