PDA

View Full Version : 05 F1 Rules

Methanolandbrats
03-05-05, 11:32 PM
Well, they ruined F1. It used to be about going as fast as possible. Now it's about trying to save the car on one set of ****ty tires. Nobody is passing anyone. They took away the aero grip and mechanical grip. The teams got the aero grip back, but the mechanical grip is low. The cars are twitchy as hell because if there is any yaw the aero grip goes away. The result, a nice parade because ya can't pass anyone.

RusH
03-05-05, 11:35 PM
Well, they ruined F1. It used to be about going as fast as possible. Now it's about trying to save the car on one set of ****ty tires. Nobody is passing anyone. They took away the aero grip and mechanical grip. The teams got the aero grip back, but the mechanical grip is low. The cars are twitchy as hell because if there is any yaw the aero grip goes away. The result, a nice parade because ya can't pass anyone.

where is the :sarcastic: smiley :rofl:

DagoFast
03-06-05, 01:36 AM
I think every series on the planet must be infected with some aids like virus. MANDATED race engine life? Tires that must last a full race distance? Common templates? Approved gear ratio's? Pit windows? Pit lane speed limits? "Debris" cautions? Aggregate qualifiying times? Drivers muzzled until the "official victory celebration" or press conference.

Remember when they used to show up and have a race? And it was fun? And real? And there were more fans than lawyers?

manic mechanic
03-06-05, 01:41 AM
I think every series on the planet must be infected with some aids like virus. MANDATED race engine life? Tires that must last a full race distance? Common templates? Approved gear ratio's? Pit windows? Pit lane speed limits? "Debris" cautions? Aggregate qualifiying times? Drivers muzzled until the "official victory celebration" or press conference.

Remember when they used to show up and have a race? And it was fun? And real? And there were more fans than lawyers?

Bravo...We have a winner! :thumbup:

manic

Steve99
03-06-05, 02:25 AM
The new aero rules really seemed to cause a lot of follow-the-leader packs. Supposedly the engineers got most of the downforce back, but I wonder if turbulence is even more of a problem now.

RTKar
03-06-05, 09:48 AM
I think we should let it play out a few more races. Each track will have unique characteristics regarding tires, while each team will have to reconcile issues with tire wear and their chassis. What I am concerned about is guys not making passing attempts, concerned more about braking hard and flat spotting tires, than moving up a position.

Methanolandbrats
03-06-05, 10:16 AM
I'm concerned that the FIA has made the cars slower and more dangerous, that's quite an accomplishment. Eau Rouge will be very scary with the current configuration. Of course if there is a big incident at Eau Rouge, the FIA will just fine the track and insist they put a chicane at the bottom of the hill.

Sean O'Gorman
03-06-05, 01:22 PM
I'm concerned that the FIA has made the cars slower and more dangerous, that's quite an accomplishment.

It is? The IRL has been doing it for 9 years.

oddlycalm
03-06-05, 01:54 PM
I'm concerned that the FIA has made the cars slower and more dangerous, that's quite an accomplishment. There's also the small matter of the cars not being any slower as a result of those aero changes... :gomer:

If Max was a doctor and he had a patient that was dehydrated I imagine his treatment would have him run wind sprints in the hot sun. How do you save the teams money by requiring they redesign the cars, engage in exhaustive longevity testing on the engines, and mandate a total redesign of the tires all on a crash schedule that guarantees they will have to pay plenty of overtime?

oc

gjc2
03-06-05, 02:00 PM
I really dislike the combining of both qualifying sessions. If you screw up on Saturday you can't "redeem" yourself on Sunday. And what about that rule allowing teams to change engines if they don't finish the race. What's to stop anyone that has no chance of scoring points from claiming they have a mechanical problem, retiring from the event and getting a fresh engine for the next race? We could see only the top eight runners on track in the closing stages of the race.

I do like having final qualifying immediately before the race. It adds a lot of value to the raceday ticket. However, I will be getting up earlier for the European races.

George

L1P1
03-06-05, 07:48 PM
I really like the tire rule. We expect tires on our cars to last 20,000-60,000 miles. The best tires in the world should be able to go a couple of hundred. Plus it keeps the rubber on the tire instead of rolling around the passing lanes in marble form. And I think we did see a lot of passing today despite being on a track where passing was said to be so difficult. IMHO, this rule is much better than the grooved tire rule which is completely arbitrary.

I like the spirit of the engine rule too for the same reasons. Although the new engine for any DNF rule is suspect. But not many seemed to take advantage of it. So if Schuey puts a new engine in for the next race, does he have to run the same one for the following race? If so, that would seem to be an equalizer since everyone else will be running new engines when he's running his second race on his.

Dr. Corkski
03-06-05, 10:26 PM
Well DC just came out and called the new qualifying rules "s**t". :eek:

The tire rule just does more to kill passing because no one will dare make an out-braking manuvere and risk flatspotting a tire early and have to run with a vibration for the rest of the race. The only time passing even happened was either thru the pits or when there was a drastic difference in speed between the cars (i.e. every vs JV).

L1P1
03-06-05, 10:53 PM
Well DC just came out and called the new qualifying rules "s**t". :eek:

The tire rule just does more to kill passing because no one will dare make an out-braking manuvere and risk flatspotting a tire early and have to run with a vibration for the rest of the race. The only time passing even happened was either thru the pits or when there was a drastic difference in speed between the cars (i.e. every vs JV).

I must've been watching a different race. I saw several passes for position (though not for the lead). Some hairy ones too. Much more than I've seen in a typical race in previous seasons.

Granted, the qualifying order and rain mixed up the field, but this was one of the best F1 races I've seen in years.

racer2c
03-06-05, 10:55 PM
I must've been watching a different race. I saw several passes for position (though not for the lead). Some hairy ones too. Much more than I've seen in a typical race in previous seasons.

Granted, the qualifying order and rain mixed up the field, but this was one of the best F1 races I've seen in years.

The good doctor gets his Busch and F1 mixed up, it's his self medicating that does it.

Dirty Sanchez
03-07-05, 12:50 AM
... a drastic difference in speed between the cars (i.e. every vs JV).:rofl:

Hard Driver
03-07-05, 09:09 AM
I like the tire rule. F1 of old used to have one set of tire too.

FAR lass marbles
If you drive sloppy your tires will go away. (Montoya)

I might let the tires get changes after Qual, as long as you have to use the same compound in Qual and Race.

The engine Rule does seem kind of a waste. Have to go 2 races. I like the one engine per weekend so they are not putting in Qualifying engines. But 2 races seems a bit wierd and hard to police between races.

The jury is out on the new qualifying rules. But I am leaning against them so far.