PDA

View Full Version : Reality TV Confessional

racer2c
03-01-05, 10:46 PM
We all know the old saying, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Well, after years of taking an elitist view on 'reality TV', I have to say I am gravitating more and more to these programs. There is a reason they are still around, to the surprise of Hollywood TV critics galore, they are captivating and interesting. Voyeuristic and entertaining albeit predictable and somewhat mind numbing, but no more than CSI (pick your city) is with ‘professional actors’.

So, on to my reality TV confession.

My family is hooked on Survivor. Yes, it’s long in tooth, but this year it still shows that it’s king of the reality shows. It’s opening show a few weeks ago garnered CBS the win for the week.

American Idol. Another family favorite.

The Amazing race. We just started watching this past year, and I think it’s great. Fast paced, dramatic. I truly believe that of all of the reality shows, the contestants of this one come away from it learning the most about themselves and their partners than any other reality show.

Misc. car/motorcycle building shows. I’m a gearhead, hey!

Misc. home decorating shows. Who doesn’t like to see the expressions of the owners when the projects are done?

I’ll take any of those over another cop, doctor, politician ‘drama’ that are so predictable they should be considered comedies. “Feel the hate” TM spicoli.

Oh, and I think Surreal Life is hysterical. I mean hell, Mini Me peeing in the corner? What beats it? :)

lone_groover
03-01-05, 11:25 PM
I watch American HotRod, Biker Build-Off and Project Runway. Also never missed the first season of Starting Over - up until fat liar P.J. and skinny liar "Christiques" left, and it all got too boring.

:thumbup:

Methanolandbrats
03-02-05, 12:17 AM
COPS rules :thumbup: It's the only one that's real....watcha gonna do........... :D

JoeBob
03-02-05, 12:19 AM
This season's Survivor looks to be getting things back on track after a couple of not-so-great seasons.

Amazing Race is always good - although they've made the race a lot easier in recent seasons.

Sean O'Gorman
03-02-05, 12:46 AM
I'm not into the reality shows at all. I've been watching alot of stand-up comedy lately. I guess I have nothing else to do around noon on a weekday afternoon. ;)

I especially like Tracy Smith. This should be required viewing for all females: http://www.deartracy.com/media/rams/CCP_DSL.ram

:thumbup:

Ankf00
03-02-05, 01:51 AM
what r2c means to say is that he's quickly becoming a Grand-Am junkie and will soon be drinkin pabst and wearing a junior hat :gomer:

chop456
03-02-05, 02:19 AM
How to make me watch a reality show:

Drop 20 people on an island with nothing but a knife and a pack of matches. Come back in 3 months. Whoever's still alive splits the winnings.

None of the "contest" shows do anything for me. I do like Jackass, Wild Boyz*, and Viva la Bam. I watched the Surreal Life once, too. It was actually pretty funny.

*If you haven't seen it - see it.

RaceGrrl
03-02-05, 02:20 AM
Cops, Surreal Life and What Not To Wear. That's it for me.

Gnam
03-02-05, 02:47 AM
I've been watching alot of stand-up comedy lately.
Word son.

Ron White
Dane Cook
Mitch Hedburg

If you don't know, you better ask someone.

Lizzerd
03-02-05, 02:48 AM
COPS rules :thumbup: It's the only one that's real....watcha gonna do........... :D

Forget about Cops. Reno 911 is real reaity. :D

About the others mentioned, I'm proud to say that I have never seen an episide of American Idol and only a handful of Survivor (first edition), and Amazing Race. The chopper/hot rod show are ok, but if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Not interested. I tried one of those wife swapping shows but lost interest in about 15 minutes.

Methanolandbrats
03-02-05, 09:10 AM
[QUOTE=Lizzerd] Reno 911 is real reaity. :D

QUOTE] The blonde cops are real and very impressive :thumbup:

RTKar
03-02-05, 09:28 AM
My workplace is like Survivor, since I work in a laboratory, I'm contaminating myself with every known toxic substance...we'll see how long I survive. On the brighter side, the dip shyte lab director and GM have been "offered" an early buy out or else :thumbup: ...So No, I don't watch reality TV.

Warlock!
03-02-05, 12:06 PM
I do like Jackass, Wild Boyz*
I watch Wild Boyz and check out the parts that are somewhat kid-safe. My punks love the parts they get to see. :thumbup:

Anything else? Nah... I'd rather watch "Calorie Commando" on the Food Network before I sit and watch "reality" shows...

G.
03-02-05, 12:19 PM
In A Fix, with the Cuban designer and the Beautiful carpenter chick. Think Tool Time girl, with less carpentry skills. :laugh:

They seem to have changed some of the people on the show. It used to be a small regional thing in Florida, but they are expanding it out.

Survivor, sometimes
Idol, NEVER
MythBusters, often
In A Fix, often, but I am getting burned out on the "Quick, slap up these crappy shelves and paint them red" format. Rather watch New Yankee Workshop, or something.
Amazing Race is pretty good, but I seem to have other things to do during its timeslot.
Fear Factor, can't handle the "eat puke" parts, but water challenges with bikinis? Gotta love it.

Not reality, but The Shield is coming... Watch it! Wonder if the FCC and Nipplegate will ruin it...

What is Wild Boyz and what channel?

Sean O'Gorman
03-02-05, 12:23 PM
Word son.

Ron White
Dane Cook
Mitch Hedburg

If you don't know, you better ask someone.

Ron White :thumbup: :thumbup:
Mitch Hedburg :thumbup:
Dane Cook :thumdown:

"Hey, I know, I'll just make strange noises and act super dramatic about nothing for 30 minute and call it a stand-up routine!"

Besides, I believe that a comedian (a male one at least) has to be an unattractive person in order to be truly funny.

chop456
03-02-05, 12:29 PM
What is Wild Boyz and what channel?

MTV.

2 guys from Jackass, Steve O. and Chris Pontious, travel the world in search of wild animals to taunt and eventually be attacked by. Some episodes have included such fun activities as playing ham keep-away with a pack of hyenas, getting in a cage with an angry Ostrich, clamping baby crocodiles to one's nipples, licking dung-encrusted Water Buffalo tails, and French kissing bush babies.

It rocks. :D

Sean O'Gorman
03-02-05, 12:37 PM
MTV.

2 guys from Jackass, Steve O. and Chris Pontious, travel the world in search of wild animals to taunt and eventually be attacked by. Some episodes have included such fun activities as playing ham keep-away with a pack of hyenas, getting in a cage with an angry Ostrich, clamping baby crocodiles to one's nipples, licking dung-encrusted Water Buffalo tails, and French kissing bush babies.

It rocks. :D

Wait. Aren't you one of those guys that thought Grand-Am was too dumbed down for his tastes? :D

I used to think Viva La Bam was hilarious, but the more I watch the more it looks fake. The old CKY videos though are great.

Ankf00
03-02-05, 12:43 PM
Besides, I believe that a comedian (a male one at least) has to be an unattractive person in order to be truly funny.

otherwise OGorman might blurt out in a Costanza voice I THINK IT MOVED!!! ;)

reality TV: champ car :cool:
college football :cool:

Warlock!
03-02-05, 12:53 PM
Dane Cook :thumdown:

Besides, I believe that a comedian has to be an unattractive person in order to be truly funny.
Are you saying you're kinda frothed up by this guy?

Sean O'Gorman
03-02-05, 12:57 PM
No, but I'm saying that male comedians are usually fat and ugly and it should stay that way.

Of course, female comedians should be the exact opposite. Unattractive women should be laughed at, not with. ;)

chop456
03-02-05, 02:44 PM
Wait. Aren't you one of those guys that thought Grand-Am was too dumbed down for his tastes? :D

The producers of Jackass don't try to convince me I'm watching Citizen Kane.
:p

Wabbit
03-02-05, 02:45 PM
Monster House.

Surprised noboday has mentioned it.

CART T. Katz
03-02-05, 04:50 PM
the apprentice just to watch some loser get pwm3d by teh donald
mythbusters because they blow *****e up real good :thumbup: :D :gomer:

TKGAngel
03-02-05, 08:10 PM
I liked Showbiz Moms and Dads (took delusion to new heights) and Blow Out (took self absorption to new heights), when Bravo was showing them. Project Runway though, probably was the most original reality show I have seen.

I get a kick out of hearing people complain about how they were portrayed on screen. If the event didn't happen, the editors can't show it.

Spicoli
03-02-05, 08:12 PM
reality tv is for people who need a life. kinda like forum posters. :gomer:

seriously, reality TV is stoopid.

Dave99
03-02-05, 10:02 PM
About the only true reality show I watch is "The First 48". American Justice, City Confidential, and Cold Case Files are all excellent programs too.

"Comedy Central Presents" has some funny peeps from time to time (Brian Regan, Lewis Black, Todd Barry, Margaret Smith, Adam Ferrara, Wanda Sykes, Greg Berrendt, Mitch Hedberg, Jim Gaffigan).

Everything else sucks :gomer:

Hard Driver
03-02-05, 10:30 PM
TV Pretty much sucks, except when racing or football is on.

I'll watch the Leno monologue, and occasionally a bike building show. I'll also catch a movie. I'll watch a cheesy movie over reality TV.

racer2c
03-02-05, 11:31 PM
reality tv is for people who need a life. kinda like forum posters. :gomer:

seriously, reality TV is stoopid.

Well, reality TV is perfect for getting my 14 year old out of her room and off the phone.

If the stork ever vists your gimp room, I'm sure you'll be a reality TV fan too. :)

Spicoli
03-03-05, 12:28 AM
Well, reality TV is perfect for getting my 14 year old out of her room and off the phone.

If the stork ever vists your gimp room, I'm sure you'll be a reality TV fan too. :)

I've already bred successfully and wouldn't let my 14 year old daughter watch that crap. She'd be out teachin your 14 year old how to drink. :thumbup: