PDA

View Full Version : yankee or dixie?

Ankf00
03-01-05, 02:01 PM
http://www.angelfire.com/ak2/intelligencerreport/yankee_dixie_quiz.html

“86% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?”

Now excuse me while I grab a coke and some crawdads for lunch, beetches. http://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/texasflag.gifhttp://www2.hornfans.com/wwwthreads/images/icons/hookem.gif

Warlock!
03-01-05, 02:13 PM
43% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.
As much as I get out, I'd have thought I'd rank a Yank well into the upper 90 percentile.

racer2c
03-01-05, 02:14 PM
73% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

But I'm of the refined Old Dominion breeding. snif snif. ;)

IlliniRacer
03-01-05, 02:18 PM
50% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I'm going to have a pop while I get some crawdads out of the creek ("crick")

RaceGrrl
03-01-05, 02:18 PM
57% Dixie, but only because I don't say you'ns and I know how to properly pronounce "creek," unlike the rest of the hillbillies in my family. Regardless of language, I'm a northern grrl.

RusH
03-01-05, 02:20 PM
44% Yankee, barely

Ankf00
03-01-05, 02:20 PM
57% Dixie, but only because I don't say you'ns and I know how to properly pronounce "creek," unlike the rest of the hillbillies in my family.
:rofl:

with me, the longer it's been since my older sis left the house for her hoity toity east coast college and the more I hang out with rednecks, the worse my language has become

Hard Driver
03-01-05, 02:23 PM
45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I guess having two parents from Mississippi has influenced this born and raised in Pennsylvania boy.

I'm going to go eat my Hoagie now.

G.
03-01-05, 02:28 PM
As much as I get out, I'd have thought I'd rank a Yank well into the upper 90 percentile.
Great Lakes area is it's own seperate country. Neither Dixie nor Yank. I would expect most GL area people to score near the middle.

Me, 45% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

chop456
03-01-05, 02:30 PM
38% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

tllips
03-01-05, 03:04 PM

I guess Chicago is not really a Northern City...

Dvdb
03-01-05, 03:10 PM
52% dixie

devilmaster
03-01-05, 03:10 PM
Great Lakes area is it's own seperate country. Neither Dixie nor Yank. I would expect most GL area people to score near the middle.

51% dixie. Just barely dixie....

You might have a point, G.

Steve

DjDrOmusic
03-01-05, 03:12 PM
50% Barely Yankee...it must be all the Elvis songs I sing! :D

KaBoom21
03-01-05, 03:22 PM
42% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category - I blame my psychotic ex from Texas for anything redneck I've affected.

lone_groover
03-01-05, 03:36 PM
Unlike Donnie and Marie, I'm not even a little bit country!

Closest I come to the red states is watching GREEN ACRES on TV, yo.

:gomer:

CART T. Katz
03-01-05, 04:03 PM
i raise my coke (that tastes like cherry vanilla dr pepper) to those fellow 73% dixieans.

now y'all can tell people where the hell louisville is :gomer:

Jervis Tetch 1
03-01-05, 04:24 PM
60% (barely Dixie) :gomer: :saywhat:

I demand a redo! :mad:

Where's General Sheridan when you need him? Oh it looks like I'm going to have to raze the south now! :p

cartgal
03-01-05, 04:35 PM
Holy cow, y'all. 80% Dixie -- and I've still got that nasty accent from Buffalo, NY. But all my schooling (no jokes, now ;) ) was in VA. So there ya' go. Time for a Dr. Pepper and a moon pie.

cart7
03-01-05, 04:36 PM
71% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

I suppose I really do need to move south to Florida now. :cool:

RaceGrrl
03-01-05, 04:40 PM
Time for a Dr. Pepper and a moon pie.

You ain't from Dixie. Any 'neck knows that you don't drink Dr. Pepper with a Moon Pie. You're only supposed to drink RC Cola with a Moon Pie.
:D

cart7
03-01-05, 04:47 PM
..MMMMM.... RC cola! ... mmmm.... :cool:

racer2c
03-01-05, 04:48 PM
71% (Dixie). That is a pretty strong Southern score!

I suppose I really do need to move south to Florida now. :cool:

The funny thing about Florida is that it's filled with New Yorkers. :)

cartgal
03-01-05, 04:53 PM
yeah, I remember RC, but in our hick holler it was DP all the way.

d'jya ever have that combo? Talk about a huge sugar rush. I think my mom woulda sued anyone who thought we should have such a treat -- that was after we spent a summer lunching on them from Apple Acres -- along with Atomic Fireballs. :laugh:

And then there were the banana-flavored moon pies. Or Frosties -- carbonated chocolate drinks. GAACK! There is a lot of Suth'n foodstuffs that I never got into -- grits, greens, pork rinds....

Rob
03-01-05, 05:03 PM
44% (Yankee), but that's definitely due to my Great Lakes upbringing rather than living in the south. I still have a good solid Cleveland accent despite living in North Carolina for the last 23 years.

Sean O'Gorman
03-01-05, 05:19 PM
44% (Yankee), but that's definitely due to my Great Lakes upbringing rather than living in the south. I still have a good solid Cleveland accent despite living in North Carolina for the last 23 years.

:rolleyes:

There is no such thing as a "Cleveland accent", duh.

I'm 48% Yank. "Y'all" really killed my score.

Ankf00
03-01-05, 05:22 PM
and it's a "feeder" road in Houston only apparently :laugh:

Dr. Corkski
03-01-05, 05:27 PM
"43% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category."

Well at least Warlock and I have something in common. :laugh:

JoeBob
03-01-05, 05:29 PM
46% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

I guess spending a decade in the midwest really dilutes the New York roots.

If there was a better word to use in place of "y'all" I'd use it.

Turn7
03-01-05, 06:36 PM
65% Dixie.

Rob
03-01-05, 06:47 PM

Everybody has an accent. You just don't notice yours. Tell a Brit or an Aussie you don't have an accent and they'll laugh at you.

stroker
03-01-05, 06:58 PM
I knew I was toast when the "bubbler" question came up...
:rofl:

Turn7
03-01-05, 06:58 PM
..MMMMM.... RC cola! ... mmmm.... :cool:

The vending machine on my floor at work dispenses RC. Good stuff.

RTKar
03-01-05, 07:05 PM
38% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee.

Me too, 38%, imagine that...

Ozarkian
03-01-05, 07:08 PM
63% Dixie, a strong Southern score. Not really surprised, since my home town was once mentioned on the old Beverly Hillbillies show (and it made the local paper).

Don Quixote
03-01-05, 07:12 PM

47% Yankee. I have lived in Colorado 25 years, and people still ask me if I am from Ohio (O-hi-yuh). Go figure. :laugh:

Methanolandbrats
03-01-05, 07:38 PM
39% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee. :thumbup: Thank God!

Gnam
03-01-05, 07:50 PM
41% (Yankee). Barely into the Yankee category.

Well, I do live in Northern California, or <KAL-e-FOR-nee-a> as Arnold says. Does anyone really call a "bag" a "poke"?

The Doctor
03-01-05, 08:13 PM
The funny thing about Florida is that it's filled with New Yorkers. :)

78% Dixie.

It depends where you go down here in Florida. Along the beaches and in the cities and suburbs its all transplants (or really they're rejects, but that's another conversation), but once you get anywhere else you're really back in the South.

But you can git yerself some right good BBQ! Yee-haw! :thumbup:

JLMannin
03-01-05, 08:14 PM

I live too close to Marion County, Indiana. My Chicagoan upbringing is being eroded.

TKGAngel
03-01-05, 08:22 PM
Holy cow, y'all. 80% Dixie -- and I've still got that nasty accent from Buffalo, NY. But all my schooling (no jokes, now ;) ) was in VA. So there ya' go. Time for a Dr. Pepper and a moon pie.

What nasty Buffalo accent? We don't have an accent ;)
We also like to dip our pizza in blue cheese, but that's another story for another time.

48% Yankee - barely registers.

cart7
03-01-05, 08:38 PM
The vending machine on my floor at work dispenses RC. Good stuff.

Hard to find around here in individual cans or bottles, I've got to buy the 2 litres for my fix.

dando
03-01-05, 09:55 PM
48% yankee?!? Me thinks the 'test' is a bit off. Born in the rust belt, and been here ever since. I also found #18 interesting, as around here we commonly refer to the night before Halloween as Beggar's Night. I believe that's a fairly common midwestern term.

-Kevin

racer2c
03-01-05, 10:28 PM
78% Dixie.

It depends where you go down here in Florida. Along the beaches and in the cities and suburbs its all transplants (or really they're rejects, but that's another conversation), but once you get anywhere else you're really back in the South.

But you can git yerself some right good BBQ! Yee-haw! :thumbup:

True. Driving through central FL (like south of Ocala) is as red as Alabama or Virginia for that matter.

Boiled peanuts suck.

Don't get me wrong, I love being able to get good New York quality bagels and cold cuts when I visit my parents in Tampa.

As a good Virginia native, I did grow up eating spicey pork rinds. Mmm, mmm.

There's a reason RC Cola couldn't keep up with Coke and Pepsi. It's a flat generic cola. Yuck.

nrc
03-01-05, 11:13 PM
48% yankee?!? Me thinks the 'test' is a bit off. Born in the rust belt, and been here ever since. I also found #18 interesting, as around here we commonly refer to the night before Halloween as Beggar's Night. I believe that's a fairly common midwestern term.

-Kevin

Yep, I don't think you'll really get much of a "Yankee" score unless you've pick all the Northeasterner options.

chop456
03-01-05, 11:54 PM
Yep, I don't think you'll really get much of a "Yankee" score unless you've pick all the Northeasterner options.

I hit most of the Great Lakes ones and ended up with 38%. Would have been higher (lower?) if not for my hillbilly linneage, I'm sure.

mexican
03-02-05, 03:22 AM
50% (ni de aqui, ni de alla)

and people, for ages now, have said I sound like a 'nuck

DjDrOmusic
03-02-05, 01:30 PM

When I lived in Florida, people would say to me all the time that I talked like I was from Cleveland. When I asked how they knew, they said it was my accent!

Tifosi24
03-02-05, 02:53 PM
49% Yankee, barely there. I did answer nearly everything as a midwesterner, so I would assume I am about 90% in "The Middle". And, I was surprised not to see beggar's night, because that is what everyone around here and in Iowa calls it.

Turn7
03-02-05, 03:46 PM
When you throw toilet paper all in the trees of thegrumpy bastard that lives down the way, what do you call it?

In Houston, we always called it "wrapping a house" but, that wasn't an option.

I never heard it referred to any of those that were listed.

sadams
03-02-05, 04:35 PM

Yup
26% (Yankee). You show a very strong Yankee score.

But I live in New England

Ankf00
03-02-05, 05:10 PM
When you throw toilet paper all in the trees of thegrumpy bastard that lives down the way, what do you call it?

In Houston, we always called it "wrapping a house" but, that wasn't an option.

I never heard it referred to any of those that were listed.

Another girl and I were talking about just that yesterday... guess wrapping is another Houston term :D

Spicoli
03-02-05, 05:20 PM
100% don;t give a **** about your stupid poll. :gomer:

rollerblader. :rofl:

Ankf00
03-02-05, 08:34 PM
your liver must hate you more than mine hates me.

peelo
03-02-05, 11:40 PM
48% and barely into Yankee category (second generation Southern Californian)

They should've included the following question:

What do the words "coffee regular" mean to you?

If you're from New York, it means kwaffee milk & sugar.

If you're from the Midwest, it means kahffee black no sugar.

If you're from California, it means a tall skinny half-cafe extra-hot vanilla soy latte. :rofl:

I crack myself up sometimes!!

Spicoli
03-03-05, 12:25 AM
your liver must hate you more than mine hates me.

The liver is evil and must be punished!
:flame: