PDA

View Full Version : Help for my son's friend

Jervis Tetch 1
03-01-05, 10:58 AM
Hey people, my son's best friend--an avid racing fan, is doing one of his school essay's on the split between Champ Car and the I*L.

I've been giving him my personal views as a former insider, but have been having trouble finding original quotes from that idiot known as TG as to why he left. I want him to use those rather than quotes from myself or my friends as to the why.

Does anyone have any links to FTG's original speech about the I*L?

Thanks and I thank you all on his behalf.

racer2c
03-01-05, 11:45 AM
Here's a FAQ on the IRL. I'm having trouble digging up Tony's retarted letter to the IndyStar. But I've seen it around. I'll keep looking.

Link (http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/irlfaq.html)

*Note* that FAQ was probably written by Defender and it's old.

Mr. Vengeance
03-01-05, 11:46 AM
Tough finding direct quotes. Maybe the only intelligent thing that TG does is avoid the media...
I did some digging for the "original vision statement" but struck out. I know there's a copy of the press release out there somewhere but I can't find it.

I did find this, which might help:

AutoWeek March 21, 1994

Copyright 1994 Crain Communications, Inc.
AutoWeek

March 21, 1994

SECTION: Pg. 46

LENGTH: 938 words

HEADLINE: MOVERS AND SHAKERS

BYLINE: Motorsports correspondent David Phillips and free-lance writer Ritch Hanna contributed to this report.

HIGHLIGHT:
Speedway at the epicenter of a quake that will shake the Indycar establishment

BODY:
For the third time since World War II, the earth underneath the American national open-wheel automobile racing championship is moving.

The first quake occurred in 1955 when the American Automobile Association left the sport, and the Indianapolis Motor Speedway -- along with many of the AAA's stranded race officials -- launched the U.S. Auto Club to govern the sport.

Twenty-three years later team owners, who were unhappy with the way Indycar racing was being managed both on and off the track, walked out and started their own sanctioning body -- Championship Auto Racing Teams.

Now Indianapolis Motor Speedway president Tony George says he'll establish "a new series of automobile races which will include the world-famous Indianapolis 500-Mile Race" -- and will do it as soon as 1996.

What's it mean? Probably not much to racing's consumers -- the people who buy tickets or watch on TV. They will see much the same drivers, in much the same cars, on much the same teams, with much the same sponsorship, even on much the same tracks.

As one person close to the story put it: "Most of America won't notice the difference." At least until the credits roll at the end of the telecast. Or at least until the next and almost certainly the biggest tectonic shift of all occurs: government regulation of tobacco and alcohol promotion and advertising. What that will mean to all of racing and all of race spectating is incalculable.

In the meantime, the implications of the new announcement will have to wait awhile to be understood. George said he will not discuss the specifics of his series until after the 78th running of the Indianapolis 500 in late May. But already some outline of structure is taking shape. Early indications are that he intends to manage the series -- most likely working with a board of directors representing various constituencies within the sport. Bill Donaldson and the Speedway's marketing department will probably do promotion and the U.S. Auto Club would replace Championship Auto Racing Teams' IndyCar organization as the sanctioning body-rulesmaker/enforcer.

As proprietor of racing's most important event, George proposed a similar structure in 1991. At that time, he was offered -- and accepted -- a non-voting position on a reorganized CART board. But he quit recently when the car owners reorganized yet again.

"I have personally made every effort the past two years to work with the car owner organization currently governing the series in order to hear and be heard with regard to the direction the series is heading," George said in press release issued March 11, not long before most of the teams were boarding jets to fly to Surfers Paradise for the opening race of the 1994 CART season.

But, George later added in an interview with an Indianapolis newspaper, "I was never taken seriously in those meetings."

If he's right, the Indycar owners will surely have to think differently after his March 11 announcement.

"The primary purpose of the new series," George's statement continued, "is to maximize the tremendous growth potential of the series surrounding the Indianapolis 500 for the added benefit of the fans, sponsors, promoters and participants."

If that sounds familiar, it is much what CART's founders said when they broke away from USAC and the Speedway to launch their own new series. The car owners and their administrators expanded the sport's geographic appeal and brought in new sponsors and teams.

But what goes around... . "CART has become an image of all the things they criticized USAC for in the past," George told the Indianapolis Star.

"It's too early to have a reaction," said Andrew Craig, the British-born marketing executive who takes over March 31 as CART's new president. In an interview with AutoWeek, Craig added: "Tony did pay me the courtesy of calling me in advance of his announcement. We haven't had a chance to discuss it amongst ourselves and, at this early stage, we really have no comment."

Reaction from team owners ranged from those critical of George's plans to those who said they'd race in whatever series includes the Indianapolis race.

While George would not give details, he previously has identified a number of problems he thinks exists with Indycar racing today. Among them: the escalating cost of competition ("the target isn't technology," he has said, "the target is the excess"), rules he thinks restrict rather than encourage manufacturer involvement, and the problem young, talented American drivers have in breaking in and which has led many of them to detect to stock car racing.

Additionally, George has always been displeased by Indycar racing's seeming disdain for its oval track tradition. Interestingly, however, while George proposed an oval track series in 1991, it appears his new series would mix ovals and road courses.

"Our position when we went into the business with Formula One was to relate to Monte Carlo," Long Beach street race promoter Chris Pook told AutoWeek. "When we changed to Indycars, the Indianapolis 500 was a significant reason. To be included in a series with Indy is very important to all promoters. Without it (th 500), I'm not sure there is Indycar racing. We're interested in hearing what Tony George has to say and hopefully we'll be seen fit to be included."

"We don't know any of the details," said Walt Czarnecki, president of Penske Speedways, which promotes oval track races at Michigan and Nazareth. "We're being open-minded about it."

But, Czarnecki added, "the sport is at a critical point."

There will be aftershocks.

the IRL recipe for (cough) "success": link (http://www.indyracing.com/indycar/fanfest/history/)

an article from 2003: link. (http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=42060)

Don Quixote
03-01-05, 11:50 AM
This is a link to chrisb's unofficial history of the split. He also has links to the whitepaper and ftg's letter.

link (http://www.netaxs.com/~gg1/race/cartirl.htm)

edit: oops, the link to the tg letter doesn't work

racer2c
03-01-05, 11:58 AM
I found it.

Link (http://www.220mph.com/own/NEWSARCHIVE/StarNews_TonyGeorge1995.htm)

Mr. Vengeance
03-01-05, 11:59 AM
I found it.

Link (http://www.220mph.com/own/NEWSARCHIVE/StarNews_TonyGeorge1995.htm)

Thanks, I can stop looking now :)

racer2c
03-01-05, 12:04 PM
From Tony Georges Letter to the IndyStar - " On the subject of power, my desire is not now and never has been control of CART, IndyCar or the entire series of whatever cars run in the Indianapolis 500.

Holy crap! He's had NASCAR in mind since the beginning!

Ces la vie, que sera sera!

Jervis Tetch 1
03-01-05, 12:14 PM
Thanks a million friends! He will be happy to use that. :thumbup:

nrc
03-01-05, 01:18 PM
Here's a FAQ on the IRL. I'm having trouble digging up Tony's retarted letter to the IndyStar. But I've seen it around. I'll keep looking.

Link (http://fly.hiwaay.net/~cornutt/irlfaq.html)

*Note* that FAQ was probably written by Defender and it's old.

I would say that you can disregard that "FAQ" completely. It's really just one person's opinion on the split and related issues. Like many IRL fans, it's connection with reality is tenuous at best.

racer2c
03-01-05, 02:06 PM
I would say that you can disregard that "FAQ" completely. It's really just one person's opinion on the split and related issues. Like many IRL fans, it's connection with reality is tenuous at best.

No doubt. I was going to rip the link out, but I figured it was worth a chuckle.

NismoZ
03-01-05, 02:27 PM
The race broadcast from Australia, 1994 includes an interesting (ominous?) interview with TG outlining the background/rationale for his "vision." It's the first announcement I can remember hearing and, as I recall, I sort of dismissed it as a reactionary idea akin to creating a rear engined "Silver Crown" series. (want a transcript of the interview?)

CART T. Katz
03-01-05, 03:52 PM
yes. very yes.

cart7
03-01-05, 04:19 PM
IRL Yearbook 1996,

quote:
Over the past 17 years there was no clear cut way for grass roots racers to compete in the Indianapolis 500. One path was through CART, but as that organization began to move away from oval track racing to a schedule dominated with street and road courses, the opportunity for oval track racers began to diminish. An emphasis was placed on drivers with road racing backgrounds which meant drivers from open wheel, oval track racing were at a disadvantage. That led Tony George to create the IRL.

-----------------------------------------------

IRL press release 95-11-19
Racing series IRL CHAMPCAR
Date

For Immediate Release

IMS, IRL STATEMENT REGARDING CART EVENT ON MAY 26, 1996

The following response is issued for general use and should be attributed to Tony George, President, Indianapolis Motor Speedway. It is intended as the Indianapolis Motor Speedway's and Indy Racing League's only statement on this situation until after the holidays.

"The Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indy Racing League (IRL) are aware of the announcement Monday, Dec. 18, 1995, in Chicago by Championship Auto Racing Teams.

"In response, we can only say we are disappointed by the action because of its negative impact on automobile racing in North America. CART's action could diminish the opportunities for some drivers and teams to compete in the greatest motorsports event in the world, the Indianapolis 500.

"However, it does not change or influence any of the plans for the 1996 Indianapolis 500 or the launching of the Indy Racing League, the series of oval track races which is designed to provide growth and long-term stability for the sport. If anything, CART's action underscores the need for our new league. The 80th Indianapolis 500, open to all competitors who choose to run for racing's richest prize, will be run May 26, 1996.

"CART owners and competitors are not locked out of either the Indianapolis 500 or the Indy Racing League. All have been invited to participate. Our intent was that the IRL could coexist with CART's current series of races -- which has never included the USAC-sanctioned Indianapolis 500. Whether by its own rules changes or scheduling conflicts, CART has created an unhealthy all-or-nothing choice for the racing community.

"The IRL was created for inclusion not exclusion -- and certainly not to be in direct conflict with or to replace any series already in existence. Toward that end, invitations to the 1996 Indianapolis 500 remain open to those caught in the web of Monday's announcement."

----------------

October 24, 1995

The IRL and the '500' Future
To The Editor
The Indianapolis Star
The Indy Racing League and the '500' future

by Anton Hulman George / Indianapolis Motor Speedway President

It is my hope to provide an understanding of the purpose and motivation behind the formation of the Indy Racing League. There is much controversy in this matter, expressed as anxiety and even animosity by certain members of the Indy racing community, several fans, and more than one journalist.

In time, I hope the current wounds are healed and that these disagreements ultimately provide for clearer and stronger relationships throughout our sport. Later, I'll get into specific reasons why I believe so strongly in the formation of this league.

Of immediate concern, though, is the unsettling rhetoric of threats, boycotts and an alternate race on May 26 as leveled by Championship Auto Racing Teams (CART) against both the Indianapolis 500 and the IRL. Other than to once again reiterate our almost daily, sincere invitation to the racing community that we consider all racers friends and that IRL events and the "500" are open to any legitimate team with a legal car and qualified driver, I cannot say how this will all turn out.

What I can say, very sincerely, is that any and all teams that have competed in past "500s," many of them CART franchisees, are 100 percent welcome to enter and compete in any of our IRL events. New entrants are welcome too. That said, I'm going to specifically address just a single, highly inaccurate word that has recently surfaced as CART's focal buzzword to describe its self-imposed predicament regarding the "500." The word is "lockout."

Let's make this clear: There is no lockout. What I believe to be the case is that CART, following an effort to eliminate the IRL and gain control of the Indianapolis 500, is in the uncomfortable position of having created deliberate and unnecessary conflicts from which it will not extricate itself.

Those conflicts surfaced with CART's announcements of technical specifications for its 1996 cars and of its 1996 schedule, both of which occurred well after the corresponding IRL information had been made public and put in place for our inaugural season.

Probably 90 percent or more of the discussion (and cussing) has been aimed at the IRL's 75 percent-of-the-field qualifying incentive, the one that conditionally guarantees 25 spots in the Indianapolis 500 lineup to IRL competitors. Although we have not changed any of the four-day, speed-seeded qualifying format for the "500" with the fastest first-day qualifier, whoever it is, still on the pole, let me explain where the new qualifying criteria -- which only affects who gets bumped -- came from.

The IRL qualifying incentives, bridging across different events, provide a new and interesting dimension to how starting fields are established because they provide a hard, venue-to-venue continuity. There is a positive side in terms of publicity and race-to-race interdependency to build the league's identity. But the down side is that if the "500" were to be a true league member, then the rule would have to apply to the 33-car Indy field as well. We were on the fence leaning away from that one until the middle of June.

That was when CART announced its 1996 schedule. The components of our modest, five-race IRL schedule had been announced in January, April and late May, and each announcement was accompanied by an IRL promise not to create conflict with what we understood would be CART's schedule. We obviously hoped they would enter our races.

On June 10, CART announced its 15-race 1996 schedule. Ultimately, four of its dates appeared to us to have been put deliberately in conflict with three important IRL dates: CART's Brazil and Australia races were placed one week before and one week after the IRL's announced Phoenix date of March 24, 1996; CART's Nazareth race was listed on April 28 against USAC's important Indy Rookie Orientation Program; and inexplicably, CART chose to schedule Elkhart Lake directly opposite the IRL's Aug. 18 New Hampshire race.

Travel logistics virtually eliminate the possibility of any team running Brazil, Phoenix and Australia on consecutive weekends. While "ROP" (as USAC's rookie program is called) is not a highly publicized event, it is nonetheless well known in racing circles that it occurs a week before opening day at Indianapolis, when the final preparations to the race track have been completed. All CART could say about its Elkhart Lake date was that it had always raced on that date (it hasn't) and besides, CART stated, it hadn't made any promises that it wouldn't conflict.

What do you do if you are in our shoes? CART had obviously made a perfectly legal, free-market competition move to prevent its teams from participating in the opportunities presented by the IRL. At that point it became incumbent on us to respond in kind, and we did it with a carrot instead of a stick.

On July 3, we announced $12 million in prize money for the five-race series, and qualifying criteria weighted toward teams that participate in IRL events. In August, we weighted our season championship points system very heavily toward consistent IRL participation. Plus we already had an agreement in place with ABC Sports for live television coverage of all five IRL races.

These are strong, attractive incentives for open participation that in no way imply a lockout. Then as now, the IRL is designed for open inclusion of any and all competitors. It is unfortunate CART is forcing its members to choose.

Then there is the equipment question. On Oct. 11, a CART car owner was quoted in The Star sports section about the necessity for the IRL to adopt '96 CART equipment rules or else CART will be unable to compete in next year's Indianapolis 500. That is a true statement, sort of. The problem resulted from CART's decision last May to institute sweeping changes in its own '96 chassis specifications that it knew when it made them would effectively eliminate its cars from competing in the 1996 "500." That was CART's decision, not ours, and I firmly believe the decision was motivated by CART's desire to stifle the development of the IRL by creating the burden on its members of redundant, expensive equipment.

It was, in my view, another free-market competition decision. I respect CART's right to compete against the IRL, although it was certainly not our original intent to compete against them. We wanted to coexist and not force anyone to choose sides. That is why in early March the IRL rescinded its own proposed sweeping changes in both chassis and engine specifications.

At that time, CART told us they felt the IRL's proposed technical changes -- which we had announced in 1994 -- would create hardship because they were too late for 1996 production and too expensive for teams because all new equipment would be required. We did not entirely agree with those assessments, but in the interest of removing obstacles to agreement, the IRL announced March 10 that for 1996 all applicable 1995 USAC and CART specifications would be observed. It was purely a move of appeasement on our part.

Imagine our surprise when two months later, in mid-May, CART adopted changes in chassis specifications that were very close to what the IRL had rescinded in the interest of keeping peace in the family. While technical and safety improvements are the backbone of auto racing, it was obvious to me that CART's chassis change was motivated less by performance than by its political desire to prevent the IRL from conducting races in 1996. I was very disappointed by this, but it was not of our doing and we will stick to the commitments we made for 1996 rules.

Chassis incompatibility and schedule conflicts: CART created both these problems after the IRL was on record as sincerely having tried to avoid them. The purpose of the IRL is to provide growth, stability and opportunity for open-wheel, oval track racing. That mission is certainly not intended to harm or control CART.

In fact, it has nothing to do with CART. We simply do not want the Indianapolis 500 to be controlled by an outside group that does not have as its most important goal the future of Indianapolis type oval track racing. Not to mention a group that is based out of state and is far removed from the significance of the "500" in this community.

It is often said that I am motivated by power and greed in forming the IRL. It certainly is not greed, because this is a very intense financial commitment for us to build a race track in Florida and establish proper league staffing and resources. The monetary payback, if there is any, will be over the long haul. On the subject of power, my desire is not now and never has been control of CART, IndyCar or the entire series of whatever cars run in the Indianapolis 500. The payback on that side is simply a peace of mind that comes from maintaining the sovereignty of this wonderful event.

Far from wanting to run the sport, I'd love to see even the IRL develop an autonomy. There is much I would like to do in my life, but I'll be unable to enjoy any of it if the "500" is not secure.

cart7
03-01-05, 04:24 PM
Nov 98:

"Engine parts must be available to any competitor at a controlled price, so that has not changed," Mehl said. "We will not allow manufacturers to lease them. That's a difference between what CART does and what we do. If you lease an engine, you don't know what's inside of it, and there's two or three different kinds of them out there being raced. That's not what we're looking for. We don't call that a level playing field. The only way that I'll get my guys to believe that they've got the same thing as that guy, is if they can open this thing up and look inside of it. We will not allow leased engines."

----------------------------------------------

"You'll have to ask Tony George what was the defining moment in the creation of the IRL, but I think there were some things that he saw happening with Indy Car racing that he came to feel were not in the best interest of the Indianaoplis Motor Speedway - because he's a promotor of the product that's brought to him.

"There were a lot of factors at work. One was the rising cost of Indy Car racing. Another was the road racing bent of that organization. Some of it had to do with the make up of the owners themselves. There were myriad factors that contributed to this change. Then we began to see an internationalization of CART, which is becoming stronger every day.

"Now Indianapolis always had a tradition of welcoming foreign drivers, so I'm certainly not being xenophobic. The great foreign champions really added to the show. That will always happen. We will always encourage it. But NOT to the exclusion of American drivers.

"Last year there were more foreign drivers than Americans. There were six rookies in the race last year, and all of them were foreign. The speedway saw that trend; I think Tony tried to get CART to understand what the Speedway's concern is about the makeup of the product they were bringing to the 500. And I knew from day one - as an outside observer during this time that they were never going to find any middle ground.

[paragraphs deleted]

"Take Billy Boat, for example. I've watched Billy all of his career. He's 31 now. I think He will turn out to be one of the finest talents that Indy Car racing has ever seen/ John Menard, who put Tony Stewart in his car at Orlando, asked me where I'd found him, and I was reported to have said "I have 10 more, 20 more just like him" and I do. But it's not me, it's America's short tracks. Our driver A-list includes not only the USAC sprint and midget drivers, but also those from WOO where there are a number of splendid drivers."

- Cary Agajanian, USAC VP in charge of the IRL. August 1996 Racer Magazine.

-------------------------------------

By Jan *******
Indy 500 Official Race Program, May 28, 1995, pp. 132-139.

The Indianapolis 500 is the oldest race in the world, dating back to 1911, canceled only when our nation has been at war. It epitomizes the tradition, the history of open-wheel, oval-track racing that has spawned the curiosity of fans and racers around the world.
The best drivers on the planet have made the May journey to Indy, specialists in other forms of racing. In the ‘60s, the venture was made by Formula One drivers such as Jimmy Clark, who A.J. Foyt has said was one of the toughest drivers he ever faced. Earlier, Jack Brabham had started the rear-engine revolution. Graham Hill and Jackie Stewart came here, and Denis Hulme.
From the southern stock car ranks, Cale Yarborough, Donnie and Bobby Allison, the late Lee Roy Yarborough and others took their shot at the Speedway. Mickey Rupp made the jump from go-karts, Joe Leonard from motorcycles. Dan Gurney, who drove everything with wheels, was here.
The oval-track legacy of the Speedway and the series around it waned in the ‘80s and early ‘90s as street circuits and road courses became more prominent on the schedule. World-class ovals were not being built as in the era of the late ‘60s and early ‘70s. Indianapolis Motor Speedway President Tony George watched the developments as they evolved away from the roots, foundation and identity of American oval-track racing, a form of racing unique to America. The Indy Racing League was born to establish an organizational structure with the sport’s long term best interests as its primary objective, and carry on the unique identity of open-wheel, oval-track racing at its highest level. The IRL will start in 1996, with four races, including the Indianapolis 500, on the schedule and the possibility of two more. The lineup is awesome with the “500” as its cornerstone, a touch of the traditional and two huge new oval-track projects.
On Saturday, January 27, the IRL will stage its inaugural event, the Indy 200 at Walt Disney World in Orlando, over a brand-new, 1.1-mile oval. From there, it moves to Phoenix, which has hosted the cars and stars of Indianapolis since 1964, for a 200-miler on the fast Desert Mile on Sunday, March 24.
The closer – at present – will be the Las Vegas 200, run on a 1.5-mile oval that will be part of an aggressive, new $72,000,000 racing complex at the Nevada city that is the fastest growing in America.
The four races are a marketer’s dream, with exciting new venues – all ovals – in some of the nation’s premier locations. And all will be televised live by ABC Sports.
George has taken the bull by the horns. The Speedway, through its IMS Events Inc., will be the promoter at Disney World. And the Speedway’s leadership will be at the forefront to build the new series.
“It was to establish a structure for governance of the sport that had a broader base of leadership,” George said. “It’s to encourage present and future investment in the sport…get some more permanent facilities built in major markets.”
“It’s to get a schedule that is more representative of American-style racing to build a strong series that the Speedway feels comfortable being a part of and feels comfortable knowing it was part of the decision-making process.”
“It’s trying to come up with a way to contain costs, and hopefully reduce them, to encourage and sustain new membership, and to really work on providing the best possible show for the fans, and to build and sustain live attendance and national television audiences."
George pointed out that the forming of the IRL was not a move to exclude foreign drivers, but rather open the doors a bit wider for the American short-tracker and others to have a chance to make the grade to Indy.
“This has been an international event,” George said of the “500”. “It’s part of its heritage and we want to keep the international flavor alive. But the series has gone to primarily a road-racing championship so you need to have drivers and teams with experience in road racing.”
“It will be predominantly ovals at least in its infancy. There may be some road courses in its future but that’s way out there on the horizon. There’s some really good events on both temporary and road circuits. But it’s unfortunate that there hasn’t been permanent (oval) facilities built in major markets. It is a plan not unlike that of George’s grandfather, the late Tony Hulman, who assisted many tracks getting off the ground in the early ‘70s.
“He encouraged and supported all types of racing,” George said. “We’re sort of following in the same pattern. I enjoy all kinds of racing. I basically did most of my racing in formula cars on road courses.”
“But the product of the series which includes the Indianapolis 500 should emphasize oval-style racing.”
Others involved in the new series are pioneers and entrepreneurs excited about the concept. It is, in essence, breaking new ground.
Buddy Jobe bought Phoenix International Raceway 10 years ago and embarked on a building program to make the Desert Mile one of the nation’s finest racing facilities.
Jobe has the long-standing Copper World Classic on the schedule, an event which brings America’s short-trackers in five different classes to P.I.R. It is part of the country’s short-track heritage.
“I think we will bring back the stability and equity, the tradition of Indy car racing to Phoenix with the roots of the sport being born and bred at the Indianapolis 500 and oval-type racing,” Jobe said.
“Anybody who’ll be in the IRL will have a close relationship with the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and the Indianapolis 500. The Speedway is the cornerstone of Indy car racing, now and forever. If it all boils down to one race in the world, it will be the Indianapolis 500.”
“We look to the Speedway for guidance as a smaller track and operator which has some degree of success in promoting races.”
Richie Clyne, president of the new Las Vegas Motor Speedway, seems to share that vision with the ambitious proposal to build the sprawling facility near Nellis Air Force Base.
According to “spec” information issued, there will be 107,000 seats around a 1.5-mile tri-oval with twp 800-foot, 12-degree-banked turns and a 1,250-foot corner with nine-degree banking at the starting line.
It’ll all be located just seven miles north of the Las Vegas strip. In all, there’ll be 14 different racing venues in one package. Carroll Shelby plans to relocate his automotive-related businesses there.
In a news release issued March 29, Clyne recited the planning and effort that will go into the facility.
“This is Las Vegas and we’re known as the entertainment Capital of the World,” he said. “Their letters are telling me that people want a first-class facility, so I’m not cutting any corners.”
“We just happen to be adjacent to Nellis Air Force Base and have been assured by our good neighbors there that noise levels will be mild in comparison to the thunder made by jet aircraft. In visiting every major track in the country and several throughout the world, I felt it was time to make sure that sponsors, spectators and the entire racing community have the opportunity to tell us what they want this track to be.”
Bill Donaldson is President of IMS Events Inc., and will be the point man for the promotion of the history-making 200-miler at Disney World.
“Tony George is no different than his grandfather in that the Indianapolis 500 should be part of a strong series, and he’s willing to assist other promoters where he can in the best interest of the overall sport,” Donaldson said.
IMS Properties, also under the direction of Donaldson, has packaged the television arrangement with ABC Sports on behalf of the IRL and its tracks.
“We obviously value our relationship with ABC and they value their relationship with us,” Donaldson said. “It’s our intent to deliver a product that we can grow together with Tony’s concept is that oval-style racing on television has high entertainment value, and that coupled with good viewership time periods makes the television package attractive."
I think it’s significant in that we’re delivering all IRL events over the ABC network live, and we will deliver the broadcasts live around the world through the same channels as we deliver the Indianapolis 500.”

cart7
03-01-05, 04:26 PM
Continued -

The organizational aspects of the IRL fall to Jack Long, a veteran motorsports operations and marketing executive who has taken the reins as the league’s executive director. He has a background in launching new races. “The background of starting a new race from scratch, which I’ve done several times in the past, is beneficial,” Long said. “The essence of the IRL is oval racing at the Indianapolis car level. I expect the new races in our series to contribute special impact, particularly in the TV aspect of our business.”
“With Orlando, the marriage between the Speedway and its venture at promoting Indianapolis-type races at Walt Disney World, the largest entertainment company in the world, is a powerful relationship.”
“Many people don’t realize that Vegas is the fastest growing residential market in the United States. The permanent population is almost a million. For the first time, Vegas offers a permanent base and world-wide tourism.”
“The boilerplate is the Indianapolis 500 and you build from there. The quality of these venues is the base we’re looking for in launching the IRL. The quality of the shows we expect to have will accomplish our goals to put top-rated oval racing in great markets.”
Long said a support series for the IRL is on the calendar for 1997.
“One of the most important objectives of the IRL for the long-term growth of oval racing is to provide a more direct racing opportunity to take young drivers and new teams on the journey that’ll end up at the Indianapolis 500,” Long said. “Planning for a support racing series is currently under way and we expect to have it clearly defined and operating in 1997.”
Re-establishing the local short-track fan is also one of Long’s goals.
“The imbalance of road races in the current series has a direct in all the other decisions of the sport,” he said. “A team owner must find a road racer to drive his car. The owner must pay for new chassis setups on those road courses. The sports fan who finds himself watching an Indy car auto race on TV, two-thirds of the time, sees a road race.”
Long cited cost containment as the key. “Unless cost containment at the highest level of the sport can be instituted through the development of rules, we’re not really providing an affordable opportunity,” he said. “A lower cost rules package must be addressed by all of us in the IRL.”
Long addressed the situation of a new and growing world market in the sport, and said that accommodation within that market could go smoothly. “The IRL is focused on domestic racing but I can see a limited number of oval races staged in particularly interesting foreign markets such as Japan and Europe. Promoters in those markets are prepared to build suitable ovals for our race cars.”

-------------------------------

TG's lpublic letter after the court date

Since 1909, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has been the primary steward of open-wheel racing in America. For the last 59 years, the Hulman-George family has taken enormous pride in operating IMS for the benefit of American auto racing. As part of that stewardship, it proved necessary to respond to problems undermining open-wheel racing. The Indy Racing League was founded in response to these concerns.

While the Indy Racing League was intended to serve racetracks and markets not served by CART, it was treated as an enemy by CART and by some others. We never measured our success against CART's, since we compete against all forms of entertainment in our economy. We go about our business with only one objective: to build our League.

Many of you have advocated a single, unified open-wheel series as a goal for some time. Towards that end, several times in recent years, various interested parties approached the League with the suggestion that we purchase CART. None of these proposals were commercially viable in our view. When CART announced its plan in September to merge with OWRS for $7.4 million subject to a stockholder vote, I declined again. In all of these cases, the complicated entanglements of purchasing a financially troubled series overcame the goal of unification that most desired.

However, when CART declared bankruptcy in December 2003 and announced it would not conduct a 2004 season, the situation changed. By filing for bankruptcy, CART made its assets available to the highest bidder, and the only bidder offered $1.63 million. I decided to give the situation another look. On Jan. 9, 2004, the IRL began an examination of physical assets and contracts, in order to determine whether or not to bid.

That decision has now been made. The Indy Racing League has decided to bid on certain available assets of the bankrupt CART. Thursday night, we submitted a substantial bid with CART and the unsecured creditors' committee; a bid we believe is fair and equitable for the assets we are seeking. As a member of our Indy Racing League community, it is important for you to understand how this bid fits into the future of open-wheel racing.

We believe in the integrity of our analysis and bid, and we believe in the success of our plan, should we prevail in this proceeding. If we are successful with our bid, our intention is to work quickly and effectively to create a unified, market-driven North American open-wheel series. We believe there is a window of opportunity right now to accomplish this and position open-wheel racing among the highest quality and most successful sports entertainment in North America.

When the Indy Racing League was announced in June 1994, the official news release said that ovals and road courses would be included. Our concentration has been on oval tracks since our first season and we will continue to be a predominately oval series in the future. But we are committed to expand our schedule to preserve and protect key traditional road and street races in North America, since CART is no longer able to do so.

Clearly, it is in the best interests of open wheel racing to move forward into the 21st century with one series, based on the heritage of the Indianapolis 500, taking advantage of the many new oval venues built in the last decade and incorporating historic road and street courses which are important to fans and sponsors.

From a modest beginning, the League is now regarded by impartial observers as the premier American open-wheel series. The Indy Racing League, backed by the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and a wide array of sponsors, teams, drivers and fans, is the sanctioning body best positioned to offer leadership in open-wheel racing.

Regardless of the outcome of our bid, the Indy Racing League will continue to adhere to our founding principles, will continue to be a predominately oval series, and will expand our existing schedule to include road and street races in North America.

I hope this helps you understand what we are doing and why, and I hope to have your support in this very important endeavor.

Sincerely,

Anton H. George

cart7
03-01-05, 04:27 PM
Hope that's enough to get him started. :)

Jervis Tetch 1
03-01-05, 04:37 PM
It is, WOW!!! Thanks!!! :D

cart7
03-01-05, 04:57 PM
I've got more at home. Some of the IndyStar archive links are dead now, some are still active. I've also got all five pages of the old Racing Stools site as well.

cart7
03-01-05, 05:04 PM
OK, here's a sample from the old Racing Stools site. Dated Aug. 20, 1990 from the old ICR magazine.

Rumors have swirled about the future of Indy Car racing since IMS President TG met with F1 czars Bernie Ecclestone and Jean Balestre at two F1 races last month in Europe. Jan ******* ICR Aug. 20,1990

George took mild offense to criticism of his fact finding effort. " The new guys who control Indy Cars right now are not the only guys who know everything about race cars," he said. "I think that's being a little short-sighted." ......."The Speedway is going to grow and prosper into the next century. I would like to see the two organizations prosper together." George said the Speedway would be an active participant. "The Speedway has been reacting instead of acting the past few years, "he said. "It hasn't really taken it's leadership role of the past." "Throughout all of this (rules) fiasco last year, people told me, "You have to tell them the way it's going to be." "I didn't have all of the answers. Now I'm committed to finding out the facts and making the best decison I can for the good of the sport." "Roger Penske was quoted in The National as saying that one track can't dictate rules for a whole series. I don't know if he was quoted accurately or not, but I take exception to that." Jan ******* ICR Aug. 20, 1990

"The Speedway has a rich history and has been around a lot longer than CART. We can't take the position that we're going to be dictated to by 21 owners who can't decide what time it is without going out in the hall and changing their minds.The Speedway has always tried to do what's in the best interest of the sport." Jan ******* ICR Aug. 20,1990

I've had many owners tell me that we have to take a stand. I know some owners, at least,are behind me." George pondered the future of the 500. "There are those who say if we were forced to revert to run F1 or NASCAR, we would fall victim to Bernie Ecclestone or Bill France. Jan ******* ICR Aug. 20,1990

Mr. Vengeance
03-01-05, 05:12 PM
this stuff's gold! :thumbup:

cart7
03-01-05, 05:55 PM
More from the old 'stools site.

If such a change is the case, and it looks like it may well be, a veritable Pandora's box will have been opened, and neither Pandora nore those in the near vicinity fared well when the lid was cracked.....Earlier this year, George told the Indy Star rules changes may be coming. "Maybe it's time to establish new engine and chassis rules so we can make them more affordable, more available and try to slow them down." George said then. It is doubtful that situation would come to pass if turbochargers are thrown out in favor of normally aspirated engines.......The additional onus of the 3.5 liter engine at Indy may well sink CART's ship. If CART wishes to compete at Indianapolis and it must, because the 500 is the cornerstone of CART's series-it must go to normally aspirated engines. It would be much too costly to run without a turbocharger one race a year. Ron Lemasters, Jr. National Speed Sports News May 29,1991.

....while IMS head Tony George said he would ask CART to remove itself from the IndyCar sanctioning business in favor of a new group in which the Speedway would have considerable input....a closer look reveals some interesting ties. They revolve around egos and business. TG has developed a plan that would make CART obsolete and would align Indy Car racing behind a commissioner and a five to seven member board...NSSN Oct. 16, 1991

This was to be proposed at the now infamous Houston meeting.

"For all intents and purposes the proposal was rejected," George said. One CART owner said,"We want to elect a board, not have people we don't want shoved down our throats." "I'm trying to be optimistic, but I can't deny I'm dissappointed." George said. Reaction seemed to be mixed and it was obvious the George plan was hurt by it's pedantic tone and the fact many of the owners did not receive details of the plan until the morning of the meeting. Pat Patrick opposes the plan as proposed, " I don't really know why we need to change anything. CART is on the threshold of being extremely successful if we don't stub out toes, " Patrick said. One privy to the discussions said, "It would be like giving them the keys to the place." I'm sure Tony wanted a one-day decision, but let's be honest, that's expecting a bit much in three hours, isn't it?"..NSSN Nov 13, 1991

"CART agreed to respond with the issues of our proposal that were acceptable and unacceptable, but they didn't," "As far as I'm concerned, it's over. They came back with a proposal to continue to dance. They had the ball in their court and they dropped it. So, I see no reason to waste any more of my time." George said. "We are not ready to to turn over the keys to CART to the IMS, " Carl Haas told NSSN. Dec. 4,1991

Despite reports to the contrary, Haas said George's proposal to the CART board was not well-liked. "Among other things it insisted on the dumping of Bill Stokkan (CARTchairman) and the addition of a commissioner," Haas said. "There wasn't enough in the proposal to give the owners enough of a guarentee that their interests would be protected." Derrick walker car owner. Central to the discontent among CART owners is the balance of power. In George's original proposal, IMS would have 4 of the seven panel members in it's camp, or at least within hailing distance. "Four of the seven votes are fairly in sync with each other," Walker told the Times. "So you go from having a lot of control in the series to having no control." NSSN Dec. 4, 1991

What the fallout from George's hand-washing seems to indicate is that the Speedway will proceed under it's own agenda in 1992 and possibly unveil an all oval Indy Car series in 1993. Speculation, fueled by George, has the Speedway president considering options with F1 and NASCAR, although George's grandfather, the late Tony Hulman, once said there would be no stock car race at IMS unless every Detroit manufacturer was represented. "It's no secret I've been talking to Bill France, Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosely, " George told the Star. " CART can run it's 16 races, and who knows, one day that race in New York City might be the biggest one on their schedule. No matter what we do,I don't think CART is going to like the alternatives." NSSN Dec. 4, 1991

A little history lesson for those new to the sport or just didn't know. ;)

cart7
03-01-05, 06:59 PM
I forgot this, link to the Indystar archives on the split. (http://web.archive.org/web/19991008234913/speednet.starnews.com/speednet/irl/split.html)

Good stuff in here from Robin way back when. Some of the links are dead now.

NismoZ
03-01-05, 07:06 PM
Seems he got at least ONE thing right..."The forming of the IRL is not intended to exclude foreign drivers." The Vision lives! :rofl:

cart7
03-01-05, 07:31 PM
Here's another must read from 1994. This juicy little article from Robin has the infamous Jeff Gordon referance in it and the lack of American drivers. Even though this came out of his mouth he had the nerve to imply in RACER mag in Nov. 2003 that he never said any of this stuff and it was the press who was to blame for misinterpreting his reasons for starting the earl. :shakehead

George plans new Indy-car series
Speedway president¨s dissatisfaction with CART leads to organization of circuit that would include the ¨500.¨

By Robin Miller
Indianapolis Star

INDIANAPOLIS (March 12, 1994) -- Tired of foreign monopolies on cars, drivers and engines, U.S. drivers defecting to NASCAR because they can't get Indy-car rides, escalating costs and a series top-heavy with road races, Tony George finally decided to do something about it.

He's organizing his own Indy-car series, starting in 1996 if things go according to plan. The Indianapolis 500 comes with the package.

The Indianapolis Motor Speedway president sent a tremor through the Indy-car community Friday by sending out a rather nebulous release sporting a blockbuster headline: 'George Plans Series Featuring Indianapolis 500.'

George didn't give any specifics on rules, tracks or a schedule, but during an exclusive interview with The Indianapolis Star, he made it obvious his overall dissatisfaction with Championship Auto Racing Teams forced the issue.

"I was never taken seriously in those (CART) meetings, and this announcement may not be taken seriously . . . some may say he's blowing smoke again," said George, who resigned from the CART board in January. "But I guarantee you one thing is certain . . . the time for all the talking and positioning is over.

"It's obvious we are going in different directions."

CART, the current sanctioning body for 15 of the 16 Indy-car races (excluding Indianapolis) in the 1994 PPG World Series, seized control of Indy-car racing after a nasty two-year war (1979-80) with the U.S. Auto Club.

Since starting its own circuit in 1979, CART has participated at the Speedway and made it part of the PPG series even though it was officially a USAC event. USAC will sanction George's proposed series and, although the IMS boss refused to declare war, it appears imminent.

"This is not going to be a blood bath. That's not our intention," said George. "I'm not trying to do anything on the spur of the moment so people don't have a chance to react. I'm not for causing any great hardship right now.

"We've got definite ideas of where we're going and, hopefully, they (CART) will work with us and participate."

But what if CART decides to try and run a separate series?

"I'm not sure I can answer that, but if they continue at their level and don't have the Indy 500 in their series, no, I don't think they can continue," he replied.

With CART calling the shots, Indy-car racing has spread into major cities (Cleveland, Detroit, Portland, Ore., Toronto) and reached a larger audience. But it's also gone from an oval-track to a road-racing series (10 of the 16 races are on street circuits or road courses).

And the American open- wheeled race driver has all but been replaced by road racers or foreigners - or both. Four of the top five in last year's CART point standings were foreign-born road racers. All three Indy-car chassis (Lola, Penske and Reynard) are built in England, as are the two predominant engines (Ford Cosworth and Ilmor).

George doesn't like what's happened.

"I think Indianapolis, and Indy-car racing, is missing some American flavor. I'm not opposed to foreign manufacturers and competitors, but it rubs me the wrong way that America's premier series has to look overseas for talent because they have a fat checkbook.

"Maybe I'm too idealistic that guys can still earn their way to Indy on their talent. Jeff Gordon went to NASCAR without any money, and you can't do that here anymore."

George wants his new series to be oval track-oriented.

"I lean toward oval tracks . . . because it makes sense in terms of more exciting races, easier television production and higher ratings. I don't mind some road courses and street races, and I wouldn't want to say they are totally out of the question."

Budgets for competitive, one-car Indy teams have risen to $6 million to $8 million, and the focus of George's series is to become more cost-effective.

"I'm concerned about the long-term health, because at the rate things are escalating, it's going to take $12 million to field a car capable of winning," he continued. "I don't know how you can realistically expect to do it immediately, but there's a lot of fat in there."

With most of the Indy-car teams either in route, or ready to depart, to Australia for the season opener March 20, George gave them some startling reading material for their 23-hour flight.

"This kind of thing tears us apart," said Chip Ganassi, owner of the Indy-based Target/Scotch Racing that is running Michael Andretti this season. "This weakens Indy-car racing and strengthens other sanctioning bodies."

Dan Gurney, a force as a driver and car constructor from 1963-81 at Indy before growing discontent with CART, is testing a new Toyota engine and building a new Eagle chassis for the 1995 Indy-car season.

"I do know Indy-car racing needs leadership, and if the people that provide the leadership are really going to do what's best - I'm all for it," said Gurney from his California shop. "But I worry about people making decisions that don't have some skin in the game.

"We're cheering for something that hasn't been defined yet, and I'm very concerned."

Chris Pook, who brought Formula One to the streets of Long Beach, Calif., in 1976 and then replaced F-1 with Indy cars in 1984, didn't sound alarmed.

"When we changed in 1984, the Indy 500 was one of the primary reasons and, without it, I'm not sure there is Indy-car racing," said Pook. "We want to hear more, but the Indy 500 is very important to us and, hopefully, we'll be included in his (George's) plans."

Methanolandbrats
03-01-05, 07:33 PM
He'll need a cover page. Just title it FTG :)