PDA

View Full Version : "Champ Car is here to stay," - Big Dogg Says So

SurfaceUnits
02-27-05, 10:20 AM
"Champ Car is here to stay," he asserts, and the perpetual smile that seems affixed to his face suddenly disappears. "I think by next year we'll be turning a profit. We're definitely going to have 18 cars at our race in Long Beach. I'm really looking forward to it. I'd have to say Long Beach is my favorite place in the series."

"Will not be in Europe"
"I think CART got into trouble because it lost sight of what it was," says Kalkhoven, whose Champ Cars will be roaring around downtown Long Beach on April 8-10. "It got distracted, went into places where it should not have gone. You're not going to compete successfully with Formula I in Europe. That's just not going to happen.

"Our overseas races will now be in the Pacific Rim. Australia, China, Korea, places like that. To be successful in this business in any business, for that matter is placing the right product in the right market place to the right customers. You do that, and things will come out all right for you."

"This has been a particularly huge challenge for me because I haven't been playing with someone else's money," says Kalkhoven. "But the awards are substantial if we are able to turn this thing around, which we will do."

"Well, for one thing I've always had a deep fondness for car racing," he says. "And, obviously, the adrenaline one gets from getting into such a business is a great feeling."

http://indybooks.net/data/dogs2.jpg

nrc
02-27-05, 03:38 PM
http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~28780~2734427,00.html

Always nice to have a source link. :)

Kalkhoven is the best front man for the group. Forsythe likes to stay in the background and Gentelozzi (if he's even still a player) tends to be a bit too bombastic.

It's pretty amazing that they've turned the series around and started making some positive strides so quickly. It's the competition that is now being talked about as the series with a questionable future.

The only thing that has me concerned right now is Long Beach. That's a critical event that could either bolster Champ car's forward momentum or re-awaken doubts of its viability. Tres Hombres have to pull out all the stops to make sure they retain that event. I have no doubt that The Moron has Long Beach in his sights as the latest thing that he thinks will finally turn his series into something worthwhile. They have to smack him down just like they did in the court room in Indy.

SurfaceUnits
02-27-05, 04:41 PM
Always nice to have a source link. :) Only when most of the article is relevent, which in this case it wasn't, and when the writer doesn't use half of the article tooting his own horn, which in this case, he was.

pfc_m_drake
02-27-05, 05:15 PM
Only when most of the article is relevent, which in this case it wasn't, and when the writer doesn't use half of the article tooting his own horn, which in this case, he was.
I believe, for legal reasons, you need to post a link when you're quoting another source...even if it's only excerpts. Otherwise (if you don't) I think there is a potential, albeit small, for the owners/operators of this site to get into some trouble over it.

However, back on topic, I definitely like KK's take on Europe. It's certainly a much different attitude than 'We want to be the official feeder series for F1 and also serve as a retirement home for their washed up drivers before they call it quits.'

racer2c
02-27-05, 07:40 PM
I believe, for legal reasons, you need to post a link when you're quoting another source...even if it's only excerpts. Otherwise (if you don't) I think there is a potential, albeit small, for the owners/operators of this site to get into some trouble over it.

If that is the case, there are one billion guilty internet forums. That would have to be one extremely anal journalist to pursue such a matter.

pfc_m_drake
02-27-05, 07:50 PM
If that is the case, there are one billion guilty internet forums. That would have to be one extremely anal journalist to pursue such a matter.
I understand...and I agree with you. However, in the interest of keeping those who bring us OffCamber out of trouble, it's probably a good idea :)

Methanolandbrats
02-27-05, 07:59 PM
I understand...and I agree with you. However, in the interest of keeping those who bring us OffCamber out of trouble, it's probably a good idea :) Right. Copyright infringement is serious. At least credit the source and they are a LOT less likely to get pizzed.

Amanda B.'s Mom
02-27-05, 08:32 PM
KK has a very positive and optomistic attitude which i hope is catching. sounds like the market research has been done and races will be in target markets. I just hope he doesn;t lose sight of what makes OWR a unique racing series.

Great logo!

Copyright: I am a member of other internet forums that will not allow an article or excertpts from one to be posted. Links only.

racer2c
02-27-05, 09:25 PM
I'm still waiting for a title sponsor. American with global interests please.

SurfaceUnits
02-28-05, 09:18 AM
HElls bells me an BiF done fount aresevles a forum damed neer chalked full of leegal egsperts. TOney shood fire them nincomboobs hes benn working with an hire yous.

An about racin.......
ToneyS got two HIstoracal road corses on his schedule an you strret parade losers dont!!1 hahaha :gomer: an it dont matter how many comas you use!!1

nrc
02-28-05, 09:33 AM
Whatever. I really just like to read articles and find out for myself whether there's something more of interest in them. There was no way of knowing from what you posted whether there was more to the article or not.

Andrew Longman
03-02-05, 11:56 AM
Back on topic...

The article goes to lengths to talk about how unassuming KK is.

I met him two years ago at Cleveland in the paddock when he rode up on a bike with his hair all mussed up and literally insisted on getting my 9 year old son to come in behind the barrier and get a closer looker look at the car.

Indeed he was quite charming and very fan friendly. He literally sought us out to try to promote his team and sport.

Anteater
03-02-05, 04:10 PM
What Andrew L. said. :thumbup: At Laguna Seca last year, I watched KK gently lift a toddler out of his stroller and place him in the cockpit of Vasser's car while the proud and delighted parents took photos. Great guy! :)