PDA

View Full Version : ALMS Maserati mess

Accipiter
02-25-05, 06:34 PM
Maserati accepts invite for 2005 competition
Racing series ALMS
Date 2005-02-23

MASERATI MC12 TO COMPETE IN 2005 AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES

Braselton, Ga. - The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) today announced that it has invited Maserati to enter the MC12 in the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) as a guest of the sanctioning body. The invitation to Maserati contains several limitations that Maserati has accepted and intends to compete immediately. This announcement clears the way for the MC12 race car to participate in the opening round of the American Le Mans Series at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring on March 19, and each of the remaining ALMS races in 2005. The new Maserati MC12 ALMS endeavor marks the first time in 48 years that Maserati has fielded a full factory race car in the United States. The last time a factory Maserati appeared on the grid at Sebring, Juan Manuel Fangio drove it to victory in 1957.

"The Maserati does not completely comply with the Automobile Club de l'Quest (ACO) requirements, and as such, has not yet been homologated for competition under ACO regulations," said IMSA Chief Operating Officer, Tim Mayer. "IMSA will bear the final responsibility to regulate the performance of the car in the interest of ALMS competition, such that the race car operates within the accepted performance envelope of cars within the GT1 category," added Mayer.

The homologation process is the system by which a race car is derived from the road car through technical specifications set by the ACO or the Federation Internationale De L'Automobile (FIA). Because the MC12 race car complies with the FIA's homologation but not with the ACO's homologation requirements, it will not be eligible for points in any of the American Le Mans Series championships, including the driver and team championships which run under the ACO regulations. The car will also not be eligible for any other races run under the ACO regulations.

"There is no question that this race car is the subject of much speculation," said ALMS President and CEO, Scott Atherton. "However, we have a very technically savvy audience and we expect that the inclusion of the Maserati in the full season of ALMS races will create great interest for our fans, both at the tracks and on television. We expect that our fans, competitors and event promoters will greatly benefit from the inclusion of this extremely exciting and competitive new ALMS race car entry."

While the FIA homologation has not yet been finalized, IMSA has specified several requirements in addition to those currently envisioned by the FIA, including some changes to the bodywork. Because the FIA and the ACO regulations have become generally parallel in 2005, the race car complies with the ACO regulations in general terms with two specific exceptions. The car, as it will be permitted by IMSA, is 66 mm (2.598 inches) wider than the 2000mm (78.74 inches) permitted in the ACO regulations. The car was originally built to the 2004 FIA specification which included a 2100mm (82.68in) maximum width and Maserati has been forced to request a waiver for this requirement to run in 2005. The waiver process generally indicates that some performance penalty be applied to compensate for any performance gain.

The Maserati MC12 road car is longer than the 5000mm (196.85in) permitted in the regulations. While Maserati has been able to shorten the race car to the required length, full ACO homologation would require Maserati to shorten the length proportionally from both the front and rear overhang, which for 2005, Maserati has not been able to accomplish. This is not a requirement for FIA competition.

Both the ACO and the FIA have recently included regulations that provide for the control of performance of the cars in the GT1 category so that they fall within a specified performance envelope. IMSA has worked extensively with both organizations in order to develop a system of controls that will be applied to the MC12, a first for ALMS competition.

"We have only agreed to invite the MC12 to compete on the basis that Maserati has agreed to be subject to performance controls in the spirit of Article 19 of the ACO regulations," continued Mayer. "While this regulation does not specifically cover the situation of the American Le Mans Series, the concepts contained therein are applicable and have been agreed in principal by all of the manufacturers. IMSA has worked with the FIA which has previous experience with the MC12 and has volunteered to send representatives to inspect and monitor its testing. Additionally, IMSA has been working with the ACO and the FIA to develop tools to analyze the performance of all the cars in the GT1 category. We are confident that we can create an environment where the MC12 can compete on a fair and equitable basis with all of the other GT1 cars running in the ALMS," Mayer added.

"Maserati Corse is pleased to have the opportunity to display our car in front of audiences in North America. This is one of the most important sales markets for Maserati so this development is very important for our sales and marketing efforts as well," said Maserati Corse Director, Claudio Berro. "We greatly respect the compromise that has been reached to permit the running of our race car and look forward to competing on the merits of our product, our team and our drivers. Maserati intends to operate our car as a full factory effort, supported logistically by Risi Competizione, a Ferrari / Maserati dealer in the United States."

Initially, one Maserati MC12 will compete in each event of the series. The driver lineup will be announced at a later date. A second race car is planned for the ALMS in 2005. A final timeline will be determined soon.

-alms-

Which to me is silly on the face of it. Because what you will have is a car essentially doing exhibition runs for no points, yet have the ability to steal the thunder of legitamate ACO legal GT1 machinery on the podium. But in the end it could turn out to be damaging to the series, becuase this is how the ACO responded:

THE MASERATI AT SEBRING: THE A.C.O’S OFFICIAL POSITION

The ‘AUTOMOBILE CLUB DE L’OUEST’ has noted the decision taken by the AMERICAN LE MANS SERIES to put the MASERATI MC 12 on the list of entries for the coming SEBRING 12 HOURS.

The ‘AUTOMOBILE CLUB DE L’OUEST’ reminds the parties concerned that the MC 12 does not comply with the Technical Regulations and is not homologated. Thus, this car is not allowed to take part in events run under the ‘LE MANS’ label.

On no occasion did the A.C.O officials have any contact with either the F.IA. or I.M.S.A concerning the control of the performance of this car.

So what are the options? Ditch the car, or the relationship with Le Mans they have built over the last 8 years.

RichK
02-25-05, 06:42 PM
Why did the build the freakin' car out of ACO spec in the first place?

Sean O'Gorman
02-25-05, 07:33 PM
Ditch the car, or the relationship with Le Mans they have built over the last 8 years.

Well, the logical choice would be to ditch the ACO, so I'm sure they'll boot the Maserati instead. :rolleyes:

L1P1
02-25-05, 07:49 PM
A rock and a hard place. ALMS needs more manufacturers. The danger is that an illegal car might dominate and P.O. other manufacturers. Perhaps the underlying truth is that ALMS officials are satisfied that the new Maserati will need some shaking down before it can be competitive, and that by the time it does, it will be legal.

Just a guess.

extramundane
02-25-05, 08:46 PM
A rock and a hard place. ALMS needs more manufacturers. The danger is that an illegal car might dominate and P.O. other manufacturers. Perhaps the underlying truth is that ALMS officials are satisfied that the new Maserati will need some shaking down before it can be competitive, and that by the time it does, it will be legal.

Just a guess.

IMSA has the stated right to adjust the MC12 as necessary should it prove to be a field-killer. However, its performances in FIA-GT last year weren't exactly earthshattering, not to mention the fact that nobody in the FIA-GT field is on the same level as Pratt & Miller and Prodrive. I have no doubt that IMSA consulted Corvette/P&M, Saleen/ACEMCO and Prodrive before making any decision on the MC12.

Sounds like a pissing match to me.

Sean O'Gorman
02-25-05, 09:16 PM
Whey even consider it in the first place? It isn't a real road car.

TorontoWorker
02-25-05, 10:12 PM
The mess is cleared up:

IMSA Official Statement

Braselton, GA -
The International Motor Sports Association (IMSA) confirms that it has invited the Maserati MC12 to compete in the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring and each of the events of the 2005 American Le Mans Series, as a guest of IMSA, and not as part of the Le Mans branded series. Maserati has accepted and will run at Sebring. As previously announced, the MC12 will be a full competitor in the GT1 category and will be classified by IMSA based on its finishing position, but will not be eligible for series points. This is the arrangement with IMSA confirmed today by the ACO in its statement.

IMSA also confirmed that both FIA and ACO officials were contacted and consulted through the process of finalizing the car specifications and protocol that will be utilized to control the performance. However, as the ACO made clear in its statement, IMSA, as the entity with the sporting authority for these competitions, bears final responsibility for the specifications, the protocol used to control performance and the administration of that protocol, and the ACO will not be involved or responsible for any aspect of that.

Someone blinked or someone kissed a$s - you judge!

All this being said: This is not the first time that a team has had to race without being able to aquire points. Porsche had to do the same thing in the 1996 BPR series right after they won Lemans in the GT1.

The MC12 is being rebuilt and should conform to the ACO rules by sometime mid summer and a full points attempt will be in operation for the 2006 race season. I think it's a good deal anyway for this team as they will in effect get real world testing toward a full season next year. One hopes that they will do better then the Lambo attempt.

FCYTravis
02-26-05, 02:37 AM
Why did the build the freakin' car out of ACO spec in the first place?
Because at the time it was being designed and built, it was in spec.

TorontoWorker
02-26-05, 02:57 PM
Whey even consider it in the first place? It isn't a real road car.

Yes it is, they built 50 last year and all have been sold and plated. This year they are building another 50. If you mean the race car... I would then point out that the C6R being raced is also not a real road car either - but the C6's it is based on - are.
If you mean that it isn't a real car because you and I cannot afford it at 3/4 of a million dollars - Then I would agree! :) We better get started on wasting money on lotto's I guess... :laugh:

Sean O'Gorman
02-26-05, 03:17 PM
I heard they built 30 total, 25 street, 5 race. Regardless, that isn't a "true" road car if you ask me.

Corvette=road car. 575 Maranello=road car. 911=road car. M3=road car.

MC12=race car. S7=race car. M3 GTR=race car. Mosler MT900=race car.

So they allow this thing in, how long until someone else pushes the boundries further? And then further? And then before you know it you have GT1 becoming slightly heavier, closed cockpit prototypes, again.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

FCYTravis
02-26-05, 09:03 PM
The only thing the C5-R has in common with a street C5 are the frame rails.

TorontoWorker
02-26-05, 09:54 PM
I heard they built 30 total, 25 street, 5 race. Regardless, that isn't a "true" road car if you ask me.

Corvette=road car. 575 Maranello=road car. 911=road car. M3=road car.

MC12=race car. S7=race car. M3 GTR=race car. Mosler MT900=race car.

So they allow this thing in, how long until someone else pushes the boundries further? And then further? And then before you know it you have GT1 becoming slightly heavier, closed cockpit prototypes, again.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Ok Sean: What is your thoughts concerning the F1 then? Here is a car at somewhere north of a million dollars that was a road car before it ever became a race car. In fact it had to be detuned in order for the ACO to allow it to enter the 24hours - which it then won twice if memory serves me. Now is it a road car or a race car?

I think we can all agree on a car like the so called street ver of the 962 built by Dauer - that WAS a race car. The MC12 even with the Enzo engine is in fact sold for public use in far more numbers then either the F1 or the Dauer962. We may not like the fact that it is sold in fewer numbersthen the vette - but that is a result of it's price. We may also not like the fact that it is so high tech to be stupid for the road or that it is up against what some people call the "peoples sports car" that is made in massive numbers compared to the MC12. Or it's sold for what, a sixth or more of the MC12's price.

But so what - at the end of the day IMSA will stick a plate with a quarter sized hole in front of the intake runners or load it up with lead anyway. GM is IMSA's bread and butter and these guys may be here today, gone tommorow. In the meantime, i'll enjoy the sound and the fury while they are around and smirk when they pile into the odd tirewall while we take bets on what the body work bill will be! :)

Cheers

nrc
02-26-05, 10:17 PM
The only thing the C5-R has in common with a street C5 are the frame rails.

In fact, I would bet that the GT S7 has more in common with the road car than the C5-R.

Sean O'Gorman
02-26-05, 10:26 PM
In fact, I would bet that the GT S7 has more in common with the road car than the C5-R.

No wonder the GT1 fields in ALMS are so small then...

L1P1
02-27-05, 02:25 PM
The car is too long?
http://images.thetimes.co.uk/TGD/picture/0,,181831,00.jpg
Geez, I guess so.

Accipiter
02-27-05, 03:44 PM
The mess is cleared up:

IMSA Official Statement

I get the feeling that statement isn't going to be the end of this.

oddlycalm
02-27-05, 07:34 PM
M3=road car Right, the M3 road car is not competitive at all. The limited production M3 GTR got regulated out of the series for beating the limited production Porsches. ;) The Cadillac CSV-R is also nothing but a silhouette race car.

Have you actually looked at these cars first hand? None that are competitive are anything other than purpose built race cars. With the exception of Porsche you couldn't buy one if you wanted to without having a race team and connections at the factory.

oc

Accipiter
03-09-05, 01:38 PM
http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/roadracing/15580/

Still, ACO officials have already announced their intentions to be absent from the Sebring season opener in protest to IMSA’s decision, and now, former BAR F1 sporting director and Prodrive owner David Richards, who runs Aston Martin’s new GT1 program, has vowed to take “whatever action appropriate” to spot Maserati from competing with his works DBR9s.

Sean O'Gorman
03-09-05, 01:41 PM
And you guys wonder why so many people think the ALMS is a bad idea...

B3RACER1a
03-09-05, 04:09 PM
This is just as lame as the Minardi F1 deal. If its not within spec, it doesnt touch the track.

Even pinewood derby stuff goes by those rules.