PDA

View Full Version : Windows Netoworking Question

B3RACER1a
02-25-05, 04:15 PM
Ok, got a good one here. :gomer:

I was wondering if it is possible for my PC to utilize two networks at once. One being ethernet, the other being wireless. My hope is to speed up my crappy internet connection here at school, or in other words, have my PC pull information from two networks at once. I have a router connected and ready to go, and my ethernet connection set up. I just cant figure out how to get XP to handle it.

Thanks!

JoeBob
02-25-05, 04:48 PM
Why are you keeping them seperate? Why not just make it all one big network? The router should be able to manage your private network and your Internet connection - and if you sent it up properly, act as a firewall, keeping your computers protected from the Internet at large.

Turn7
02-25-05, 04:58 PM
If you are referring to a multi homed machine where each of the network adapters will log into a different network then yes or if you would like to utilize either the wireless or regular ethernet adapter to login then yes. If you are talking about using both network cards to log into the same network and truncate them to allow for doubled bandwidth then I don't think so. If you can truncate it, then I am clueless on how to make it work.

Wabbit
02-25-05, 06:31 PM
If you are talking about using both network cards to log into the same network and truncate them to allow for doubled bandwidth then I don't think so.

Yes you can. But, if you are connected to the internet (2 different pipes), or even a local lan, unless you are doing heavy file transfers you will probably never notice a difference.

L1P1
02-25-05, 07:32 PM
Clarification needed: At school, which is your crappy connection? The wireless connection should be crappier than ethernet (I assume we're talking about crappy speed as opposed to crappy policies). If it's a local ethernet network in a dorm room, it ain't gonna help internet access. If the school's network is the ethernet connection, that should be much better than the wireless link.

B3RACER1a
02-26-05, 01:26 AM
I should have explained it better....lol. My roomate and I share one ethernet jack with a regular router. On the campus apartments, each building shares one high speed dsl connection all split up with routers. At night the connection is great, but during the day the connection gets so bad I cant even check my email sometimes. I dont know hardly anything about netoworking, but I'd figure I would try and locate the bottleneck. I think it is either our apartment building, or where all the apartment lines run to. My nieghbors in the building next door say thier connection is sometimes fast, but it varies like mine. So basically I'm gonna try and find out where the problem is.

My idea was to stick a wireless router in thier apartment because they only have 2 computers so they have an extra jack. I got it over there and installed. I can connect to the wireless just fine, and the internet connection itself is about like ours during the day...junk.

So, I was thinking I would try to combine my wired connection and my wireless connection together to "double my bandwidth". If the network is like I think it is, it should work.

My problem though is I cant seem to figure out how to get my computer to pull information from the internet using both connections. Say for example I download a file, like the GTP mod for N2003 ( :D ), I want my PC to be able to use the wireless connection AND my wired connection simultaneously to speed up the connection. I looked over google and really couldnt find anything, so I dont know if it is even possible.

It all comes down to the school network is just crap.

Joelski
02-26-05, 03:34 AM
Nope, Turn 7 is right. You can't combine signals to double bandwidth. About the only way to get rid of the speed issue is to shell for your own connection that you don't have to share, but daytime still kils speed due to everybody else being online.

B3RACER1a
02-26-05, 12:46 PM
That is what I was figuring.

Thanks! :thumbup: